Photo

Where can i buy salicylic acid from???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rovers

Rovers

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

Hi,

My derm said many people find salicylic acid benefical, however i have looked to buy some but can't find it anywhere.

I live in the UK and was wondering if anyone knew where to buy salicylic acid peels of about 15% strength??

Many Thanks!!!!!

#2 Manticore

Manticore

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

There is a seller on eBay selling a 20% peel, or they will make it to the strength you want. There is also a kit on eBay with 10%, 20%, & 30% bottles.

There are also some daily face & body wash products available with lower strengths of acid (1 - 2%).

Did your derm actually suggest the salicylic peels, or did he mean, perhaps, trying a face wash containing salicylic acid? Be careful if you try the peel. You could take weeks to recover.

#3 cherubie

cherubie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (Manticore @ Feb 28 2011, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did your derm actually suggest the salicylic peels, or did he mean, perhaps, trying a face wash containing salicylic acid? Be careful if you try the peel. You could take weeks to recover.

DEFINITELY make sure of what your derm meant, but I highly doubt that he would tell you to go out and buy 15% salicylic acid though. To answer your original question, if you're just looking for products with SA in it (around 2%), it's practically everywhere. Almost every single acne-related drugstore/over the counter item has SA. I assume the UK can't be too different.

#4 Reti

Reti

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:59 AM

That's really strong at 15%. SA is a beta hydroxy acid and is capable of penetrating oils and the fat layer of your skin. Oils are fine. The fat layer is not. This means you can have a potential chemical burn, serious pore damage, damaged hair follicles, and even shiny burn-victim skin. You can get a kilo of SA from a chemicals outlet and add a teaspoon per percent you want to each bottle of denatured ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol (latter's a little more harsh fumes on the nose and eyes). Or you can use a bottle of witch hazel and alcohol combo, too, but pure witch will not dissolve SA. Size I'm talking is 16fl.oz or 473ml. 2 teaspoons will get you about 2%. Shake it up. Let it sit a few minutes. Shake again each time you wanna use it. Cotton balls or cotton squares. Use a poly glove to protect your hand. Lot cheaper than wasting your money on overpriced junk that probably contains menthol or some other tingly, worthless additive for morons. Do not go significantly over 3%, unless we're talking like a wart on the bottom of your foot, or something. And stay away from all salicylates if you are allergic to them or aspirin.

#5 xgirl

xgirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

I have that 20% one from Amazon. It's not that bad and doesn't sting much. Also doesn't cause much peeling. Check out the amazon reviews

you can buy the actual powder at www.gardenofwisdom.com if you want to make serums or your own peel.

makeupartistschoice.com sells various percentage SA peels too.

GL!

#6 osmith2005

osmith2005

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:27 AM

Hi i have had an Enerpeel SA treatment which a salicylic acid peel but uses a different technology so you dont have loads of peeling on your face. it made my skin less oily and has helped with my spots.

#7 osmith2005

osmith2005

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:18 AM

Hi My Dermatologist recommended the salicylic acid Enerpeel that I had through a clinic - it's not something you can do at home as the are done by a nurse or doctor. I've now had a course of 4 and my skin is fantastic, i havent had any new spots. If you go on skinmed.co.uk you can locate a clinic that do the Enerpeel.

#8 OmegaisJaded

OmegaisJaded

Pokemon Queen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

I have used this in the past: http://www.amazon.co...-...2057&sr=8-1

It's a 20% salicylic peel.

If you're going to use these peels at home be sure to read and follow the directions! Don't glob it on, only leave it on for the lowest contact time on the directions and slowly raise it every few weeks once your skin get's accustomed to it,don't pick off the peeling skin, and please wear sunscreen!

Only people willing to follow the directions should buy these peels, and you should preferably get it done by a professional anyways.Lots of derms do these mild peels in their office these days. For stronger peels seek out a skincare clinic.

#9 Reti

Reti

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

If it's 20% and doesn't sting, then the base it's in does not totally dissolve the SA. So the actual effectiveness of some of these might be less than equivolent 5% in ethyl alcohol that you put on and then rinse off thoroughly in the shower. But if you're going to go with strong stuff, have a professional do it.