Photo

Intermittent Fasting -Improves Many Factors Involved In Acne, Aging & Disease

fasting fasting intermittent fasting intermittent fasting diet diet acne acne sugar sugar insulin insulin

Best Answer Walid, 02 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

I guess that's why my Acne seems to clear up during the Ramadan... Go to the full post

97 replies to this topic

#61 tritonxiv

tritonxiv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

I've done this everyday for years and it hasn't helped my acne one bit. I'm completely unconvinced that intermittent fasting can benefit those with highly persistent forms of chronic acne.

Overall however, reducing the calorie intake (by skipping a meal for instance) can only benefit you in the long run and has been shown to increase lifespan in lab rats. Evaluating my own habits, I employ intermittent fasting, moderate exercise, and a mostly paleo diet which has probably allowed me to enjoy such overall health, despite having to take accutane for an extended period, and being a moderate social drinker.

#62 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

^Intermittent fasting is not necessarily about consuming fewer calories. The same calories can be consumed with these methods.

In the past, there'd been quite a few discussions with people, usually warrior dieters, saying that it helped a great deal and allowed those following it to eat a lot bigger variety of foods/higher GI/GL meals, etc.

And in addition to benefiting many of the factors that affect hormones and chronic inflammation such as insulin sensitivity, there's been a study that found it improved hyperproliferation of cells.

#63 tritonxiv

tritonxiv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

^Intermittent fasting is not necessarily about consuming fewer calories. The same calories can be consumed with these methods.

In the past, there'd been quite a few discussions with people, usually warrior dieters, saying that it helped a great deal and allowed those following it to eat a lot bigger variety of foods/higher GI/GL meals, etc.

Makes sense. Giving the body a chance to "recover" will make it better equipped to handle the next big food challenge.

I guess the reduction of caloric intake was just a side note, because in order to attain this interval of eating, I found it's simpler just to skip out on a meal. We honestly need far fewer calories than the FDA says we do. Three American-sized meals a day is overkill. (literally)

#64 Lee1234

Lee1234

Wanderer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me
  • Interests:Zombies!!!!!!!!!,Cooking, selective research, intellectual conversations, comedy, oriental culture/cuisine, anime, Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX etc, manga, films,nature, holistic living, working out, writing short stories/poems, consoles, etc etc.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

Intermittent fasting + Ketogenic diet = The holy grail for skin, for me anyway. I have to thank the Inuits for the inspiration. Cutting out all carbs (bar fibrous and trace amounts from cheese) was probably the best decision I ever made in regards to skin and bodily functions. Combined with intermittent fasting, I only eat when my body tells me I'm hungry. Does anyone have any experiences with Ketogenic lifestyles? I've found that this is the closest my diet has ever been to the "Naturally intended path".

#65 AcneIsACurse

AcneIsACurse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Watching TV shows/movies, playing guitar, exercising, hanging out with friends, getting clear skin

Achievements

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

Hey so basically you eat and drink a full day's worth of food in 8 hours, but in the 16 hours that you fast can you drink water? I feel like I would get really thirsty in those 16 hours. Also I'm pretty skinny and I don't want to lose weight, will this make me lose weight? I care more about getting rid of acne though lol.

#66 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

You drink water

#67 matt f

matt f

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

Interesting topic. Posted Image

#68 Walid

Walid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:00 PM   Best Answer

I guess that's why my Acne seems to clear up during the Ramadan...

Edited by Walid, 02 July 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#69 Oner

Oner

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

bump

#70 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

For it just isn't any different to eating little and often.

If one is eating the same calories, the same high nutrient foods then when these foods are consumed is largely irrelevant.

IF is a way of eating just like little and often. If it suits your life style then go for it. But don't be fooled into it is something new and magical.

A calorie is a calorie. Okay yes, full calories and empty calories blah blah. But if one eats the same out amount regardless good or bad, time of day the results are the same.

Eating nutrient dense food will make one healthier and give longevity but i when i eat them is of little relevance.

#71 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

If one is eating the same calories, the same high nutrient foods then when these foods are consumed is largely irrelevant.

IF is a way of eating just like little and often. If it suits your life style then go for it. But don't be fooled into it is something new and magical.

A calorie is a calorie. Okay yes, full calories and empty calories blah blah. But if one eats the same out amount regardless good or bad, time of day the results are the same.

Eating nutrient dense food will make one healthier and give longevity but i when i eat them is of little relevance.

Untrue.

#72 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:49 AM

Untrue.

How so?

If the goal is to lose weight or hormonal stabilization then when we eat way down on the list of priorities.

There's an underlying hierarchy of importance. At the top of the hierarchy is total amount of the macronutrients by the end of the day and the quality of the said macros. Distantly below that is the precise timing of those nutrients.

My point is, quality over timing. Yes there are arguments to be made for hormonal responses but if one is eating real nutrient dense foods then surely this is the most important thing?

What would the hormonal response with IF if someone was to eat a load of crap within that 8 hour window? Surely it's less than optimal.

Edited by TakeToTheSkies, 18 October 2012 - 03:20 AM.

#73 scov93

scov93

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:sport, exercise and my dvd collection :)

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:27 AM

fasting also has other benefits that may not be directly linked to acne but will improve your overall health and then go on to improve your skin such as:

1.reduce blood pressure
2.reduce fat and cholesterol
3. reduce the strain on your liver and kidneys
4. improve health of the respiratory system by removing toxins from the lungs more efficiently

i know you could say you can achieve these things in other ways but fasting seems to be a much easier way of improving a large number of health problems

#74 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

fasting also has other benefits that may not be directly linked to acne but will improve your overall health and then go on to improve your skin such as:

1.reduce blood pressure
4. improve health of the respiratory system by removing toxins from the lungs more efficiently

i know you could say you can achieve these things in other ways but fasting seems to be a much easier way of improving a large number of health problems

Good post.

As i've said all the way through it's producing a lot of interesting data, however i am just not sold on that it is any better than eating little and often.

I will always maintain. it's what works for you and eating an entire days worth food in a small time window does sound appealing (i do like to eat lol)

In any case. Come Christmas week. Diet, IF, little and often goes out there window. The gloves are off and it's munch time lol

#75 scov93

scov93

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:sport, exercise and my dvd collection :)

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

1.reduce blood pressure

Good post.

As i've said all the way through it's producing a lot of interesting data, however i am just not sold on that it is any better than eating little and often.

I will always maintain. it's what works for you and eating an entire days worth food in a small time window does sound appealing (i do like to eat lol)

In any case. Come Christmas week. Diet, IF, little and often goes out there window. The gloves are off and it's munch time lol

cant believe your talking about Christmas, its bad enough the supermarkets are already full of advent calendars, mince pies and Christmas crackers lol

#76 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:03 AM

1.reduce blood pressure

Good post.

cant believe your talking about Christmas, its bad enough the supermarkets are already full of advent calendars, mince pies and Christmas crackers lol

lol.

Been living on chicken, turkey, eggs. whey protein, udos oil, veg, salads, fruit for the last 16 weeks. Believe me i say Christmas cannot come quick enough :D

#77 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

My point is, quality over timing. Yes there are arguments to be made for hormonal responses but if one is eating real nutrient dense foods then surely this is the most important thing?

obviously quality is the most important. No one has said otherwise. This is the nutrition forum, after all. I'm confused as why you even feel the need to argue that point. 

However, many people here have claimed to be able to eat foods they otherwise couldn't without breaking out.  Usually people on the more extreme Warrior diet involving a 20 hour daily fast. 

1.reduce blood pressure

Yes. The many benefits of intermittent fasting were pretty clearly stated early in this thread.

Edited by alternativista, 19 February 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#78 johnskitty

johnskitty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

Untrue.

How so?

If the goal is to lose weight or hormonal stabilization then when we eat way down on the list of priorities.

There's an underlying hierarchy of importance. At the top of the hierarchy is total amount of the macronutrients by the end of the day and the quality of the said macros. Distantly below that is the precise timing of those nutrients.

What would the hormonal response with IF if someone was to eat a load of crap within that 8 hour window? Surely it's less than optimal.

A week ago I stopped eating from 8PM until 12PM. Every day during my 8 window of eating, I consumed loads of crap such as mince pies, biscuits, chocolate, cakes, ice cream and pizza - lots lots more than I normally would.

The result is totally clear skin within 7 days and that is after suffering with acne for 20 years.

I assume this is my hormonal response for fasting. I am just chuffed with the results.

#79 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

"8-Hour Diet"

David Zinczenko, of Men's Health Magazine and the Eat This, Not That gimmicks, has jumped on the intermittent fasting bandwagon and of course written a book about it called the 8-hour Diet. I saw him this morning on the Today show where I noticed that he never once mentioned terms like Intermittent fasting. Perhaps because then the masses could just look it up for themselves rather than buy another book. or buy books from other people like LeanGains that they copied.

Oh, he also kept saying that you could eat whatever you want which is different from other gurus like leangains, but there was a hint of something about 8 power foods. You eat those to satisfy nutritional needs and other than that, eat whatever you want.
http://today.msnbc.m...s/#.UORZ928YvBM

http://www.menshealt...oss/8-hour-diet

Edited by alternativista, 20 December 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#80 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hey - It can improve your sebum quality & production!!!!!

Downing D, Strauss J, Pochi P. Changes in skin surface lipid composition induced by severe caloric restriction in man. Am J Clin Nutr. 1972;25:365–367. [PubMed]

Pochi P, Downing D, Strauss J. Sebaceous gland response in man to prolonged total caloric deprivation. J Invest Dermatol. 1970;55:303–309. [PubMed]

And remember, intermittent fasting has been found to provide the same benefit as calorie restriction in longevity and various health condition studies.  

Edited by alternativista, 20 December 2013 - 07:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users