Photo

Diet and acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 acnekilledmylife

acnekilledmylife

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:05 PM

What founds should I avoid and what foods should I eat more of? I noticed when I ate junk food my skin was greasey and I had more acne than I had now, by far. Now I try to eat healthier, but I want to educate myself on foods that are known to promote acne.

#2 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:45 PM

Well people say different things break them out so it is very varied. I think you'll have to experiment with different diets to see. Just to get you started, some say carbs break them out, so you may want to avoid this. Some say dairy breaks them out, and some say both break them out. I would suggest you start with whichever food group you want and see what happens.

Stay away from processed foods and bleached flour and sugar. These are just plain bad for your overall health. FYI, anything that reads "(partially) hydrogenated" is bad. Same with cottonseed oil. If you have margarine switch to regular butter, or better yet Ghee.

Next, I can tell you what you should eat! I am sure others can add to this as well. bb_wink.gif Definately green leafy vegetables--not boiled, but sauteed in coconut or olive oil(coconut is best due its ability to withstand heat). Steaming the vegetables is really good and what I do, then I can drizzle olive oil on them and add some garlic. I'm Italian so I am accustomed to olive oil and garlic on veggies ...can't seem to adapt to veggies in coconut oil.

Eat as many fruits as you can. They have vitamins and antioxidants just like veggies and they are yummy.

Fish is good. Fatty fish is best such as salmon and Tuna, but they must be wild caught, not farmed. You do not want to eat too much of it due to mercury and PCB's. Confused yet?!

Now, here is where I and others may differ. I am an advocate of eating animal fats. However, I do not eat any pork products(bacon, ham, pork ribs, etc.) I eat any other kind of meat though. I also eat chicken and turkey. I eat eggs, kefir, and yogurt...some cheeses(feta and ricotta). All must be organically raised(grown). Preferably grass fed cow meat.

I eat a big salad every day without fail. It is scrumptious...an excuse for olive oil and vinegar and feta cheese(yum).

This is my diet. I don't expect you to follow it. It has some good guidelines though. Pick your own diet on what you feel comfortable with and what you think is healthy. Even if it doesn't help your acne you will be very healthy and your skin tone should look better.

Good Luck!

I hope you enjoyed my novel wink.gif
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#3 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:20 PM

Since we were talking about mercury in the amalgram thread, arent quite a few fish high in mercury content? Just curious if there is a sufficient amount to cause
any problems
before you judge me take a look at you
can't you find something better to do
point the finger, slow to understand
arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

#4 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:24 PM

Unfortunately it can be problematic. They warn expectant mothers to avoid tuna--only allowed two cans a week, and really, the same holds true for all of us. That is why I said in my post to be careful not to eat too much salmon and tuna.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#5 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:50 PM

Yeah I think the rule is the smaller the fish, usually the least amount of mercury it has. I used to hear that the pink tuna had more mercury than the white tuna, but I suppose that also depends on it's size (as it can eat more food & smaller fish).

Here some others:

U.S. consumer activists said as a rule, light tuna had higher levels of mercury than shrimp, salmon, pollock and catfish, which were listed together as "five commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury."
http://www.caromont.org/17774.cfm

For now, a review of FDA's mercury measurements in 39 seafood varieties shows:

--Salmon, oysters, whitefish, sea bass, freshwater trout and sardines contain both high levels of heart-healthy omega-3s and low mercury levels, below 0.13 parts per million.

--Other low-mercury choices include perch, king crab, flounder, sole, pollock, catfish, croaker, scallops, crawfish, shrimp, clams and tilapia. They contain less omega-3s, but servings can add up.

--Tuna is controversial, because different varieties contain different amounts of both mercury and heart-healthy fats. Canned light tuna contains a small amount of omega-3, about as much as shrimp, and fairly low 0.13 ppm mercury. But fresh tuna steaks and the more expensive canned white or albacore tuna contain three times as much mercury, and almost as much omega-3 as salmon.

That puts albacore in the medium-mercury range. So many consumer groups recommend that pregnant women and children stick to modest amounts of the lower-mercury light tuna -- about 9 ounces a week for women and 3 ounces for youngsters.

--Also in the medium-mercury range are saltwater trout, bluefish, lobster, halibut, haddock, snapper and crabs. Grouper and orange roughy are at the high end of this group. FDA's advisers said women of childbearing age probably should limit these fish to a serving a week.

--The FDA advises women of childbearing age to avoid shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish, which contain the most mercury of species tested to date.
http://www.nwitimes....e05000992fc.txt

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#6 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:06 PM

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks.

Im sticking to beef from now on ph34r.gif
before you judge me take a look at you
can't you find something better to do
point the finger, slow to understand
arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

#7 acnekilledmylife

acnekilledmylife

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:45 PM

Thanks alot. I can't avoid carbs, I workup dailey and I need to have a great meal full of carbs to get ready for the gym. And most of the time its cereal which contains milk, which is dairey. sad.gif

#8 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:28 PM

Can't you eat protein instead?

If you can't, how about healthier complex carbs instaed of cereal?

#9 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 22 August 2004 - 06:41 PM

Emma, our diets are almost identical (when I'm not cheating) bb_wink.gif

#10 acnekilledmylife

acnekilledmylife

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:14 PM

Protein is more for after the workout, and right before bed.

#11 Forsaken

Forsaken

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:31 AM

I've actually been monitoring my diet a lot recently and I think that a few of these things might contribute to my acne.

Eggs- Maybe not the eggs its self but the way they are cooked, they tend to be greesy.
Pizza-same as the eggs
Coffee- I'm not sure but somehow I think either this or Caffeine products have something to do with acne.

Some other things that may contribute

Not enough sleep

Over sleeping

Innactivity

Powerlift

I'm no doctor but I've noticed breakouts are after these. This year I have been eating from a deli and drinking a lot of soda/cofee and my breakouts are a lot worse. I have slept the least this year then any other year, I have done the least amount of physical activity this year( mainly because I think sweating or something might make my skin all oily and make me break out).

I think Drinking a lot of water and cardio workouts would be good but I'm afraid of trying the cardio because I think it might hurt.

These are just theories. You may believe them or not. Compare them to your own lifestyle and see what you think.

#12 BomberMan

BomberMan

He might get the ace or the top one,So organise your two's a

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:38 PM

caffeine or other "stimulants" are deffinate triggers for me also large quantities of alcohol or sugar break me out, i cut them out of my diet as much as possible and my acne has gone from moderate/servere to mild but i'v also been following the regimen religeously and taking zinc/b6 and drinking atleast 2litres of water per day and loads of fresh fruit + veg
i avoid fried foods ESPECIALLY Mcdonalds.
I think eggs and milk are important for healing acne blemishes faster (high in protein) many people here would disagree though.
i tend to boil or scramble eggs instead of frying them.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."- Adam Savage

#13 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:42 PM

I wouldn't think food contributes if you say a diet change fixed your acne when you were also doing 2 acne regimens at the same time. smile.gif

Don't stress over food -- it doesn't cause acne for most people.

#14 BomberMan

BomberMan

He might get the ace or the top one,So organise your two's a

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2004 - 04:03 PM

I was doing the regimen for months before the diet change without much success, but within 3 weeks of the diet change i noticed a reduction in the amount of zits on my face, this gave me motivation to carry on with it.
its now been 10 weeks and i'm not completely clear but i feel confident enough to go out with my friends and stuff because my acne is so mild compared to what it used to be, on the other hand you may be right but i dont want to risk going back to my old diet (excessive amounts fried foods, mcdonalds, chocolate, 5cans of coke per day etc) looking back it seems i was asking for trouble!
besides with this diet i have so much more energy and i feel better within myself and because i drink so much water the terrible bags under my eyes have dissapeared too and i look healthier in general.
I'm not sure about the diet but drinking plenty of (mineral) water every day instead of fizzy drinks has deffinatly helped me get over the worst of my acne i would recomend trying it to any acne sufferer, seriously.
have you ever experimented with your diet BenKweller?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."- Adam Savage