Photo

Omega's

fish oil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:28 PM

While I was standing in line at the grocery store I was flipping through a magazine to pass the time. It was talking about omega's and it said flax is not as good as fish oil, because they aren't sure the body can convert it into omegas, and it doesn't contain DHA and EPA. I couldn't really absorb the article and I didn't buy it bb_wink.gif Does anyone know the deal on this?

Also, doesn't fish oil make you smell like fish? I heard that...and what about the mercury?

#2 ano

ano

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:11 PM

It's a very good idea to take a Fish Oil supplement even though it may or may not help your acne problem - just like Multivitamins.

As you know, Flaxseed oil may not be as good as Fish oil.
Read this: http://www.thefactsa...search/flax.htm
Avoid taking Flaxseed oil and Fish oil together because they may interact.

Also, if you have fishy taste or burps after taking them, you should take it right before your meal. Also, Fish oil supplement has very little or no murcury. You really don't have to worry about that if you're taking Omega3 from a supplement.

#3 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:42 AM

Thanks smile.gif

So I can't take both? What would happen if I did?

I don't eat any trans fat or processed foods. Can I not be getting enough 6's? Can I get too much 3's?

#4 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:27 AM

emma, from what i understand, if you take too much of the 3's, it can actually cause more inflammation, making acne worse. the key is balance. i use that 'total efa blend' which is evening primrose, flax oil, and borage oil.

#5 ano

ano

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:54 AM

If you are having typical American diet, you wouldn't need to balance Omega3:Omega6 ratio. American diet's Omega6 consumption is already 15 times higher than normal. It would actually be very unlikely that you take more Omega3 than you need.

If you take both together, it would make them hard to be absorbed in your stomach.

#6 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:34 PM

Okay, I don't have the typical American diet though.

My flax oil capsules I take have 3 and 6 in a balanced ratio. The fish oil doesn't. Now I don't know what to do. bb_eusa_think.gif

#7 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 20 August 2004 - 04:28 PM

Hey Empress....
You would want to get fish oil that has been molecularly distilled (removes the mercury) and also, if possible, it is good to get one that has a trace of vitamin E in it, so that the fish oil does not oxidize (go rancid) as easily. Flax oil does not have a long shelf life, and I have heard that most goes rancid before it even reaches the shelves, and it must be kept refrigerated.

#8 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 20 August 2004 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (emmanuel @ Aug 20 2004, 12:21 PM)
Okay, I don't have the typical American diet though.

My flax oil capsules I take have 3 and 6 in a balanced ratio. The fish oil doesn't. Now I don't know what to do. bb_eusa_think.gif

Udo's choice makes an essential oil blend that had all the omegas in the proper ratio. It doesn't contain fish oil, though.

#9 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (Scorpion_Vixen @ Aug 20 2004, 06:15 PM)
Hey Empress....
You would want to get fish oil that has been molecularly distilled (removes the mercury) and also, if possible, it is good to get one that has a trace of vitamin E in it, so that the fish oil does not oxidize (go rancid) as easily. Flax oil does not have a long shelf life, and I have heard that most goes rancid before it even reaches the shelves, and it must be kept refrigerated.

Hi SV smile.gif

How are you?

I keep my flax in the fridge. I have fish oil and it has vitamin E in it. I don't know about the mercury bb_eusa_think.gif

Anyway, right now I am staying on flax, but I will switch eventually. I have flax seed that I may add to my smoothies, and yes, it is in a grinder wink.gif

So I can't use flax and fish oil? bb_sad.gif

#10 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:52 PM

Hey Emma,
I have not heard that it is counterproductive to take flax and fish oils together in any of my research. I really don't think it's a problem to take both together, but maybe that poster knows something I don't. I take lots of oils... extra virgin cold pressed olive oil (Omega 9's which help preserve omega 3's and 6's in the body), coconut oil, grapeseed oil (omega 6) and fish oil. I will be switching from fish oil to krill oil once my fish oil runs out.
I prefer fish oil to flax because of the DHA and EPA, which is great for brain function and depression.
If fish oil is molecularly distilled it should say so on the bottle. I get mine from Trader Joe's, and it is molecularly distilled, contains vitamin E, and has 500 mgs of DHA and EPA. It's high quality and only costs $7.99. I haven't found anything out there that's better.
I am thinking of going back to hemp oil again. It's an Omega 6, but my skin did GREAT on that stuff.
I know that people who eat a lot of red meat get a lot of Omega 6's in their diet already. People who have more of a vegetarian diet get less Omega 6's and do better when supplementing with it. Back when I was taking the hemp oil, I was on a vegan diet. The hemp oil made my skin glow and cleared my acne for a while, but the effect was not permanent. bb_sad.gif
Anyway... that's some stuff to consider.
I hope all is going well with you! biggrin.gif I'm just carrying on as usual. bb_razz.gif I started breaking out a bit again, which could be because I stopped taking the birth control pill a couple of weeks ago, or perhaps it's from the Retin-A. So I am stopping the Retin-A for now. I ordered some more BCPs so if I keep breaking out I will have to start taking them again. What a drag, huh?
Peace!

#11 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:56 PM

I'll have to try the trader Joe's fish oil when I switch.

I take coconut oil daily too smile.gif I just finished a smoothie with some in there and I take it plain as well.

I bet it's the retin-a that broke you out. That stuff is evil! bb_icon_twisted.gif Have you been on it about 4-8 weeks?

#12 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:10 PM

Use whatever you want. They won't interact over the short time it takes to go through the flax. Then switch to just fish oil. Quality fish oil doesn't have a fishy taste but rather a nutty one. That's how you know it's fresh.

The flax may be good for some people but it would take a while and some effort to see the signs that your converting it right. Fish oil saves all that stress because it's already in the useful form.

I guarentee that you're not getting the proper ratio of three to six. MOst of the foods you eat, no matter how healthy(with a few exceptions) has more omega 6 than 3.

For me the results weren't noticable until I acutually broke off my big toenail. In three weeks a new one grew back, as opposed to 6 months for some people. your hair will look better and your nails will grow like crazy(that's one sign that the flax your taking is being converted properly).

#13 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (emmanuel @ Aug 20 2004, 08:43 PM)
I'll have to try the trader Joe's fish oil when I switch.

I take coconut oil daily too smile.gif I just finished a smoothie with some in there and I take it plain as well.

I bet it's the retin-a that broke you out. That stuff is evil! bb_icon_twisted.gif Have you been on it about 4-8 weeks?

Hey again... I've been on the Retin A about 3-4 weeks yes! I wanted to build collagen for the procedures I was doing, but I am going back to the vitamin c and colostrum for that now.
As for the fishy taste... if I take this particular fish oil with food I don't get that burping up salmon thing going. I also drink lime water which counteracts it too.

#14 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:21 PM

My hair and nails DO GROW LIKE CRAZY!! Is that why??

I guarentee that you're not getting the proper ratio of three to six. MOst of the foods you eat, no matter how healthy(with a few exceptions) has more omega 6 than 3.

I don't know....I eat olive oil and cocnut oil, sometimes ghee(butter), fish, chicken, meat, vegetables, yogurt, fruit, and almonds or cashews(raw). Is that enough 6?

I don't eat any bread(rarely), no processed foods, no pasta,cakes, cookies, crackers, etc.

Do you take capsules or the oil?