Photo

Thatprimalguy's Anti-Candida Log

garlic ginger green smoothie candida probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#81 ThatPrimalGuy

ThatPrimalGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:17 AM

So it's now late Thursday night (early Friday morning). And I'm having some trouble. The scary thing is I can't figure out why.

Basically my back and chest are playing up. My back is getting some new smallish pimples but also some of the little red dots that used to be everywhere, if I'm not just imagining it. My face is still fine but not as pristine as it was before.

I'm a tad confused because I have layed off the nasty carbs this week. I've had some potato/pumpkin, sure, but nothing worse than that. dinners have been lots of meat and veg, with the only suspicious things being the skin on a store bought cooked chicken and some honey mustard I used in a stirfry, which I've been ok with before.

One thing I can think of is that I skipped about 3 days of taurine and coconut oil, just due to my girlfriend visiting and distracting me. Now, that might affect me, and I know coconut oil is a good thing, but I'd like to think I'm not -that- dependent on it.

The other thing is that my sleep has been pretty bad lately, I've been fairly deprived, and even writing this it's like 1 am.

The last possibility I can come up with is my dramatic increase in green tea intake. I'd hate to think it's this because I've come to love it. It should be great - stress relief, full of antioxidents and vitamins, only minor caffeine. I would hate for that to be a cause of skin problems.

I'm not going to jump the gun on this, because I had a minor scare at the end of last week that died down. Who knows what's causing it. Overall things are still pretty darned good, but I do worry when things happen that I can't explain.

Thanks for listening,
Pan

#82 Elvin83

Elvin83

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

Hey Pan.

It can definitely be the tea.

3 weeks ago I increased my Pau Darco tea thinking that it was no big deal, and my face broke out all over again. It was just to much antifungal for my body to handle.
So I stopped taking it, and 1 week later, my face was acne free once again.
I am going back on the tea again next week, but this time I will do it slowly, so my body and face can handle it. The good thing however was, that the white coating on my tounge almost went away in only 2 weeks on the tea, so it is quite powerfull.

Try cutting back on the tea, and see if it helps.

Elvin

Edited by Elvin83, 01 September 2011 - 11:27 AM.

#83 ThatPrimalGuy

ThatPrimalGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:24 PM

Hi Elvin,

Thanks for the info - I'm not sure whether my tea is antifungal, but I'd prefer it to be a reaction caused by too much good stuff in the tea than anything else. I tend to react badly to new things until I'm used to them and I have been diving in pretty fast. I'll try to reduce it a little, thought I'm in love with green tea at the moment.

The other thought I had was that Wednesday I had some strawberries which was probably the only recent source of sugar, especially fructose. I'm pretty sensitive, thought it was only a handful of strawberries. I'll keep an eye out.

#84 ThatPrimalGuy

ThatPrimalGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

I found a very interesting research article here:

http://jac.oxfordjou...t/53/2/225.full

Apparently the catechins in green tea are strongly antifungal. This specific study tested their effectiveness at killing the candida fungi specifically, and found that they were quite effective and also increased the effectiveness of antifungal medication.

This information would seem to indicate that the downturn I've been experiencing is the result of die-off. I'd been cheating a reasonable amount the past few weeks, and missed my coconut oil a bit, so it's conceivable there was some candida regrowth. Since I've been strict for about ten days now and had tonnes of green tea, I can see how the candida would be taking a beating and having a die-off effect. I also noticed some bowel issues after the green tea was introduced which could be candida clearing out. Hopefully these problems should sort themselves out, given this information.

#85 ThatPrimalGuy

ThatPrimalGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

An Update:

Since my last post I've been pretty strict, which comes to a total of about 2 and a half weeks back on the wagon. The only bad thing i'd done was skip a day or two of coconut oil. This friday night, I had indian with rice for dinner, and then this morning (sunday) I woke up with 2 angry welt-style pimples on my rib cage. Before that my body had been doing quite well, so I'm inclined to believe I may be sensitive to the rice or curry. However it could be extreme sleep deprevation or a second wave of die-off, so I'm not ruling them out completely. I have been feeling really good lately being back on my diet and green tea, and was totally alert through a lecture I had Friday, a situation in which I'm normally struggling to keep my eyes open, so that was a nice change.

That's about it for this update smile.gif

#86 josh finlay

josh finlay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (Pangarl @ Sep 11 2011, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An Update:

Since my last post I've been pretty strict, which comes to a total of about 2 and a half weeks back on the wagon. The only bad thing i'd done was skip a day or two of coconut oil. This friday night, I had indian with rice for dinner, and then this morning (sunday) I woke up with 2 angry welt-style pimples on my rib cage. Before that my body had been doing quite well, so I'm inclined to believe I may be sensitive to the rice or curry. However it could be extreme sleep deprevation or a second wave of die-off, so I'm not ruling them out completely. I have been feeling really good lately being back on my diet and green tea, and was totally alert through a lecture I had Friday, a situation in which I'm normally struggling to keep my eyes open, so that was a nice change.

That's about it for this update smile.gif

Just a thought buddy, but I have also done the candida diet for months at a time. With fantastic results in my acne. However I know really and truly believe that the candida diet works simply because in keeps insulin levels at rock bottom.
For the first couple of weeks on a anti-candida diet you will feel tired and lethargic and possibly suffer from headaches and other such sides, people(including me) attribute this to "die-off" whereas in reality it is the body struggling to transition into ketosis (burning fat for energy rather than carbs). I think this diet can work wonders for people with insulin resistance and with berries and a small amount of low carb fruits included is a very healthy 'paleo' diet (how we are designed to eat). I also believe that the reason some people can return to eating a maintenance anti-candida diet including more root veggies and complex carbs is not because they're yeast is under control, but because those individuals have researched their insulin resistance somewhat.
A good test that you can do is to add in some mushrooms and other yeasty low carb foods to your diet and see if you break out. Lastly, Although I am very anti conventional medicine and feel that long term antibiotics etc can be very detrimental to your health, the medical community does support this possibility of treating and reversing inulin resistance and therefore reducing insulin in blood and acne outbreaks. On the other hand it completely refutes that average people have systemic candida infections.
By the way, I am not trying to insult anyone trying the diet, and if it is working for you I urge you to continue. However I wish someone had told me the information I know now, maybe not so that I would change anything drastic with my diet, but just so I could change my supplementation accordingly and know that I did not have to live with, in my own word: "this disgusting yeast inside of me for life.

#87 ThatPrimalGuy

ThatPrimalGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

Hi Josh,

You put forth an interesting point of view and it's certainly one I've considered. I definitely believe that insulin resistance plays a big part in my many problems, as diabetes runs in the family and a lot of my symptoms mimic the pattern of that disease. I attribute my skin problems to candida mostly because they started after long term antibiotics and seem to have been improved by antifungals alongside a low-carb diet. However, I'm not averse to the possiblity that my problems are entirely dietary and it's simply the low-carb, high fat diet that's curing my skin. That's why I constantly experiment to test my boundaries and see where I am. With that said, I'm really sceptical of the whole "fear of mushrooms" thing that people have tied to candida. Other fungi and yeasts have nothing to do with candida growing in your body from a purely scientific point of view. There's no way eating a mushroom will interact with candida yeast in your gut just because it's also a fungus, as far as I know.

With that said, I suppose you could say I've undergone a bit of an experiment the past few days. My girlfriend and I took a little trip away, during which I consumed many an item not usually on my dietary list..

Basically, we got to our destination on Monday night and had a giant pizza for dinner. The next night dinner was irish stew with a side of homemade bread (too good to resist) followed by apple crumble (it was a holiday, damnit! tongue.gif). Then for desert we had homemade bread dipped in yogurt (a tradition from the last time we went there, it was delicious). But all in all that was a lot more carbs than I'm used to.

Earlier today (last day) I also had a fair bit of cheese, some of it milk-based. Now I used to be allergic to milk but haven't had a reaction to it in a while - however I don't usually have anything really milky. The night after all that cheese (tonight) I broke out in itchy hives all over and some small pimples. Not sure how much of that was cheese and how much was carbs. I also have a bit of a reaction to the chemicals in the hot tub but that subsided before this started.

So that's basically it. I had a few days without any of my supplements and off my diet and now I've got a skin reaction that could be due to just that or to specifically the milk proteins in the cheese I ate. We'll have to see how fast these bumps go down.

Thanks for listening,
Pan

#88 josh finlay

josh finlay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

Interesting reply, I wish there was some sort of reliable test you could do to say for certain if candida is an issue. Every symtom seems to be possibly related to either candida, insulin resistance or the diet itself. For example, I know my hair thinned out a hell of a lot this past year which could either be because of candida, sucking up all my nutrients, or the anti candida diet, similar to atkins and keto diets that many people have experience hair loss on. This is impossible!

#89 tempomat

tempomat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:41 AM

Hi Pan,

It took me some time to read the whole blog, but I managed :) Thank you for doing as every similar effort adds useful anecdotal evidence to the fight with acne.

Several remarks that might be useful:

1 Sleep is definitely related to signs of hyperinsulinemia and bad carb absorption. Also, sleep deprivation increases cortisol levels which is a stress hormone and aids inflammatory processes. So make sure to maintain regular/healthy sleep schedule as it is a big factor. You can test that with glucose devices after days of sleep deprivation and you will see that your glucose response is poor.

2 You can use your GF mug by heating a bit some water, squeezing a lemon inside and adding as much coconut oil as you want. I find this way to take my dose of coconut oil and lemon best.

3 Also, fungus/candida can live on ketones (products from a very low carb diet) due to having mitochondria. Bacteria can't so at least you kill all the bacteria on zero carb. Therefore, it is ok to have sth like 20% carbs not to be permanently in ketosis as long as they come from safe sources like root vegetables. You can read more on that from http://perfecthealthdiet.com/ Their blog is very nice, and they have recipes as well.

I probably have other comments and plenty of question, but I will add them later :)

1 My first question is if you use grass fed butter or ghee and your opinion on it. According to a lot of sources it should be safe, but I wander how it relates particularly to acne.

2 Also, I am curious what bathing products you use as I think some of the commercial might cause issue. You mention cocoa butter, is it part of a commercial product?

3 Your acne is not cystic or very sever, but have you had issue with oily skin and how was it influenced by your new diet regimes?

Thanks and keep up the good log. You inspire a lot of people that way and set a nice example!

Cheers

#90 Lagunabum0917

Lagunabum0917

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:41 PM

I was very interested when I fell upon this topic. I have been reading into candida and think that may be what I have. I have every symptom of it and was gonig to start with the detoxifying cleanse firs (taking the detoxifying cleanse 3x a day and the liver cleanse at night while only eating organic vegies like salad with only lemon juice and salt and pepper, etc.) Any sugestions?

#91 ThatPrimalGuy

ThatPrimalGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:05 PM

Hey guys, great to see so many comments when I logged in to update today :)

Josh: I agree with you, it's a constant problem trying to figure out what causes what. As a psych major, I'm also well versed in all the types of confirmation biases humans are prey to - we'll find support for any theory and discount any evidence that dis confirms it, unless we try hard to be impartial. The best way to test anything is to develop a stable baseline diet/lifestyle that you can add or subtract things from one at a time to look for differences. Then, if you think somethings cured your acne (and are brave enough) you can take it back out to see if it gets worse. That's the only way I've gotten better.

Tempomat: Thank you for the kind comments, it's great to hear. I know how bad sleep deprivation is, and it's definitely a big factor in what skin problems I do have left, but I have huge psychological barriers to getting to sleep on time. I'm working on them, but it's much easier for me to control diet/exercise than sleep, so that's what I write about here mostly. I've actually been slugging down a lot of coconut oil lately (will talk about that later) as it seems to be not bothering me tastewise anymore. That's an interesting point about candida living on ketones - I wasn't aware of that. I have found the safe carb diet of root vegetables to be working pretty well overall, so perhaps that's why.

I've used plenty of ghee butter for cooking in the past and never noticed any problems with it. This comes from someone with a family history of lactose intolerance. I'd put ghee butter in the 'probably safe' category. Bathing product wise, I no longer use any body washes, as I don't trust any I've found so far. What I do is shower and then use Palmer's cocoa butter body lotion as a body moisteriser/wash. It also makes me smell like chocolate, which is a plus for the gf :). The only thing I use on my face is cetaphil lotion. Oily skin has definitely been reduced on this regimen. Back when it was at its worse, my forehead was always shiny and bumpy, I felt gross, and had to wash my face twice a day. These days I only feel the need to wash my face once a day, and experience no oil during the day. The only remnant of that old problem is some tiny bumps that still appear from time to time on my forehead - not sure what the deal is with that.

Laguna: I've never really done cleanses as such, so I can't really help you there. The conventional wisdom is to introduce antifungals and diet changes slowly so as to reduce the severity of the die-off. I went the other way, dropping all carbs and loading up heavily with antifungals, just because i wanted to provoke a strong die-off reaction to diagnose whether I actually had candida. You might need to look elsewhere for detox suggestions. I will say you might want to choose a time when you don't have a lot of work/school pressure, because I was basically incapacitated for a week during my first die-off.

As to my actual reason for updating, it was largely good news. I had my 22nd birthday party a week ago, and broke my year long alcohol fast to indulge in heavy drinking (and some carbs in the form of pizza/birthday cake). I was fully prepared to deal with a huge acne fall-out, but a week later, I'm actually doing remarkably well. I attribute this mostly to my extremely high coconut oil and green tea intake, as well as probiotics and taurine. In fact, yesterday and today my skin feels incredibly smooth, and my pores have shrunk to a remarkable degree. I'm going to continue on the heavy green tea and coconut oil dose to see where it takes me.

Apart from 2 small body pimples after my binge, the only noticable thing was a spot developing over the left side of my lip. This is a fairly common place for me to get post-drinking spots, so I didn't think much of it, only the second day after it came up it started to feel a little tingly, and so far is hasn't developed a traditional head. I've been a little worried it could be a cold sore, because even though noone at the party had anything active, we did share some plastic shotglasses that we were refilling during a drinking game. It's not sore to the touch and I can see no evidence of blistering, but I'm just going to keep an eye on it. It's barely visible now (I've been slathering coconut oil on it), so hopefully it should just die away.

Anyhow, apart from that little concern, my skin's been really great since I got back from my trip away. I think I've really found the right combination for me. As a sidenote, I think I can tolerate a fair bit of rice (the safest of grains, according to mark's Daily Apple) without impact, which is great, considering my love of indian and thai food.

That's all, thanks for commenting and listening :)

#92 ThatPrimalGuy

ThatPrimalGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:42 AM

Just thought I'd throw out a quick update:

I took some progress shots of my back, but I don't think I'm going to upload them at the moment, because you can't really see much difference between them and the previous shots. My face has been amazingly good with the combination of all my supplements and paleo diet, and overall my body has been steadily improving, but I did have a lot of sleep deprivation the last week or so, and I had a drinking celebration with a friend, which seems to have caused a minor setback with my body acne. Unfortunately it just takes so long to heal that any setback means another month of waiting to see if you're getting completely clear.

Overall I feel like my face has gotten to the 100% mark but my body has reached something of a plateau. I'm not sure what I need to do to clear the last little bit - I'm sure that getting my sleep under control would result in some level of improvement, but I don't know if there's anything I need to remove or add to my diet. I'm a little busy to do skin research these days, so I think I'll stick to what I'm currently on. Hopefully when I move out of home (which will be soon) I can get my sleep under control. The only other new development is that I'm adding back in my cocoa butter body moisteriser, which I think was doing good things before but I just got tired of applying.

Anyhow, I'll keep up further updates if there's anything new to report. My body has gotten to the point where I won't feel uncomfortable if I need to go shirtless this summer, but I'd like to get it to the same place as my body by that time. We'll have to see how it goes.

#93 ThatPrimalGuy

ThatPrimalGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

An update with a little more meat to it:

Basically for a little over a week I've been experiencing extreme dehydration whenever I wake up in the mornings. I'm talking eyes, mouth and throat all dry to the point of mummification, feeling like I desperately need to gulp down a few glasses of water to feel alive again. It wakes me up before my alarm does. Now I've experienced these symptoms before - they're consistent with pre-onset diabetes, which, as I've mentioned, runs in my family. The general consensus is that in individuals who can't process sugar, liquid is used to flush the sugar out through urine, leaving the individual dehydrated.

The problem is that I'm not eating sugar. I used to get these symptoms really badly when I'd eat things like honey bars for snacks, and to some extent also when I was eating carb-heavy cereal. But these days I might cheat with the odd burger, but I'm certainly not chugging down honey-nut bars. I wouldn't be as worried, but as always when I get these dehydration symptoms, my skin quality declines a bit.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, because there are a few possibilities. The past 4 days I've been fighting off the flu, and taking sudafed tablets, which do dehydrate you to some extent. However I had dehydration before taking the tablets, and if it was just the illness itself, I'd expect my brother, who's fighting off the same thing, to show symptoms, which he isn't. However, I can't rule out that its not just my body's specific reaction to illness. The other possibility is that I'm just eating too much starch - the past week or so it seems I've had potato and pumpkin every day, sometimes twice. I've had these foods before without issue however, so I'm not 100% sure. It could be that I've started having gravy with them at lunch - I'm not sure what they make it with at the Uni, but it's possible there's a fair bit of flour in there. It could also just be that while sick, my body can't process the amount of vegetable starch it usually can. It's going to be hard to tease apart - if I change anything now and it goes away, it could just be me recovering. But I don't want to just let it continue until I get better to see what's the cause here. So I think I'll switch to a zero carb lunch option for a few days and see if the symptoms go away, then when I'm better, I'll try the starchy vegetables again and see if I can tolerate them.

As always, thanks for listening.
Pan

#94 ThatPrimalGuy

ThatPrimalGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

Hey guys,

Another update for you as we approach the end of the year - almost an entire year of fighting my body acne. I've had a lot of success, and I'm really happy with how things are - but I'm a perfectionist, and every time I reach a new plateau in my skin quality, I get used to it and want it to be even better.

With regards to the last post, I'm still not sure, but I'm going to chalk a lot of the weirdness up to just being sick.

Coming back to the present, things are going really well for me, almost surprisingly so. I moved out of home with my girlfriend, which has meant some disrupted schedules, a bit more takeout than usual, a couple nights with not a lot of sleep. And yet my skin is surprisingly good. My face, which usually would have reacted at the very least to the lack of sleep, remains perfect. At least up until this point, my body has been surprisingly good as well. I haven't had any major back/arm pimples for at least a few weeks, and while my chest remains a bit blackhead-ish, things are a lot better than I would usually expect given my current lifestyle.

There are a few things I can think of that might be helping me. While I'm not getting enough sleep, I bought myself an incredibly good, orthopedic bed when I moved out. This is in contrast to the crappy single bed I'd had since I was 8. My back feels so much better, and every hour slept in the new bed leaves me feeling more rested than the old one. It's possible my old bed was so uncomfortable and bad for my posture that I was waking up a lot and just not remembering it (ala sleep apnea) which would definitely have explained some of my tiredness.

Another thing is that, while we have been eating some takeout, a lot of it has been paleo friendly thai food. On top of that, I've been doing the cooking, which has resulted in the home dinners being a lot more paleo/candida friendly than the compromise meals we have at home. A lot less root vegetables, and a bit less rice. This could be enough to balance out any unhealthiness brought in by takeout food.

Stress could also play a part - or rather, the lack of it. Before moving in, my girlfriend and I lived so far apart (even though we're in the same city technically) that it was almost like a long distance relationship. We had to plan and pack bags to see each other, and it was a whole deal. Now that we live together, everything is much more comfortable, we have our own space, and I'm feeling a lot less stressed. I'm also spending less time in front of the computer screen, and more time moving around, doing stuff around the house, watching tv socially, having friends over, reading, etc.

Going down to the supplement level, while I'm still taking my taurine, I skipped a lot of days, and I'm no longer using lemon juice for the time being. I've always used lemon juice with my taurine out of fear that it wouldn't work without, but at the same time, it is a fruit juice, and I am very sensitive to fructose. It's possible that removing it had a major impact on my system. I've stopped taking coconut oil for the moment too, just because in Australian summer, it turns into a liquid that's too disgusting to stomach on it's own. I don't think coconut oil was harming me, and I do intend to go back on it, but just something to note. I did also go through a period of about a week drinking a lot less tea - I'm back on it this last day or so, but I may have been off it long enough to make a difference if I'm somehow sensitive.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share with you guys. I'm really glad my face is staying good despite my late nights, and I do intend to turn my sleep schedule around now that I've moved out. The last few areas of my torso that I'm focusing on I think will largely heal as a result of better sleep, more exercise, and low carbs. It's a very slow process, but rewarding - I no longer really ever worry about my skin, where a year ago it was a constant niggle, and two years ago it was mentally and socially crippling. Hope this thread helps someone or other :)

Pan

#95 iamthat

iamthat

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

Glad for all your sucess !!!!!! :)

I am clear now...

My candida diet log and my raw vegan log combined... has lots of info please read first post or last page for updates on how to get clear!!

http://www.acne.org/...e/page__st__200

How to heal scars and clear skin>>>>

>>>> Water fast!  Here is my water fasting log

http://www.acne.org/...for-clear-skin/

Good luck everyone... I too have stood in your shoes.. <3 You can get clear now change your thoughts, change your life.. Believe your beautiful to see results.. Drink green juice.. Eat raw vegan for a few weeks.. Water fast.. 

#96 ThatPrimalGuy

ThatPrimalGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:00 AM

Hi iamthat, many thanks for the support ;)

#97 ThatPrimalGuy

ThatPrimalGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

Hi All,

Just an update coming into Christmas,

I'm feeling really good. I've been focusing a lot on getting more sleep in more circadian rythms and it's starting to work. I've also gotten back into fitness in a big way now that there are a few more starchy carbs in my diet, but I'm focusing on lots of green vegetables and such as well. My back is almost entirely clear, and while I don't know if I'll ever quite rid my chest/pecs of pesky blackheads, I'm pretty happy with everything else. Looks like 2012 is going to be a good year.

Peace to all of you in the new year.

#98 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

Hey man, i know this is a old thread, but i would like to know how you are doing!

Is the diet still effective?