Photo

The mystery of Acne...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 mr.peabody

mr.peabody

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:59 PM

It's just a thought, a little thing that occured to me ages ago but hich I might not have mentioned here yet. Acne is a mystery to me. I can do everything 'right' and my acne will be as bad as ever. By 'right' I mean that I can go to sleep early, eat naught but fruit and vegetables, drink naught but water and live a pure and blameless life, and yet my skin will flare up as if I haven't washed in three months and have been eating pure lard. Other times I will live a life full of sin and avarice and yet have a clear complexion. Let me give you the following example lest you doubt me. The last week I have been on holiday at the Edinburgh fringe festival (a wonderful world festival that takes place in Edinburgh over August, and which I recommend to anyone). The fringe is not a place for watching your diet or getting to bed before 1. Many nights I stayed up in hot, greasy, underground venues listening to stand-up comedians, getting steadily drunk and sweating like a pig, only to stagger back to my accommodation at 4 in the morning. I ate burgers, bacon, chicken wings and on one occasion almost over dosed on grease at an all-you-can-eat Chinese lunch buffet. To end the week I went to a ball in a castle and had to stay in a tent in the grounds, and therefore had no access to washing facilities. I travelled a lot, slept little and drank too much. The result on my skin?
Lovely and clear...well about as clear as my skin gets. I'm quite happy with it. It's much better than before my holiday. Why? How? I don't know. I am left with the only possible conclusion that diet has no effect what-so-ever on my skin. And for everyone that tells you water is the answer...I spent most of last week dehydrated. The only explanation I can offer, and I only offer this because I can think of no other, and it is the only thing that I did differently on this holiday that I don't typically do during the rest of my day to day life...I was happy. Perhaps that was enough.
"How come the dove gets to be the peace-symbol? How about a pillow? It has more feathers than a dove and doesn't have that dangerous beak."
Jack Handy

#2 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:13 PM

I feel pretty much the same way. Some days my skin is greasy as hell, I don't know why. Some days is a bit drier, I don't know why. While I've been on this ketogenic diet, I pretty much eat the same foods every day. I go to the gym, I go to work, I don't do anything different, but my skin acts differently every day. Actually it can change drastically within an hour. It's a weird thing. blink.gif
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#3 Chloe646

Chloe646

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:33 PM

Wild but mind over matter sometimes works>>>you had no major psychological stress so your skin looked good....also typical junk food and meat doesn't affect my skin negatively soy/sprouts hippie food made my skin insanely bad....also, at the festival you probably rarely loked in the mirror and when you did you looked at your skin and yourself much more obejectively and maybe saw that it's not nearly as bad as you thought and hey even looks pretty good!

Diet i know does affect my skin (only soy tho whici is easy to avoid and also fatty dairy but not really low fat dairy) but i also know that once you begin to STRESS over sticking to a PERFECT diet that will actaully end up counteracting your diet and gains...best thing i could say is eat a good healthy balanced diet and don't flip out over every ounce of "junk food." better for your skin to give into some avarice and debauchery once in a while we all need som stress relief : )
The warmth of the sun reminds her of the day-she remembers the day when things were going her way-only memories remain-of the way she used to be-She stays home every night and exaggerates her past..all the old photographs were never thrown away-what made her cry-she'll never go back again-the way she used to be

#4 WeCanDoThis

WeCanDoThis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:51 PM

have you guys tried any kind of serious cardio exercise for a period of time?
Clear at last, Clear at last... thank God almighty I'm Clear at last

#5 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:38 AM

Mr. Peabody,

As I understand it, it isn't oily, greasy foods that exacerbate acne, it's sugar. The high-protein diet you described would tend to be low in carbohydrates and virtually devoid of sugar, so that would explain the lack of zits. If you miss having them, you could always eat tons of sugar. wink.gif

#6 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:43 AM

Like I said, stress is a major factor in acne.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#7 mr.peabody

mr.peabody

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2004 - 05:29 AM

Yes I would agree with all of you. In my usual diet I tend to avoid processed carbohydrates; things that have flour in them like bread, pasta etc... I have read that they cause an insulin surge that has been linked to, amongst other things, myopia and acne. However, when in Edinburgh I didn't worry about that at all, and actually ate a lot more flour/bread-based products, since the breakfast provided at my accommodation was continental. If I had to give a reason why my skin cleared behaved itself, I think that I was just a lot less stressed. I was also quite happy, which is good for me as I usually suffer a little from depression. Also I didn't touch my face nearly as much as I usually do as I had other things to occupy my mind. I suppose you could say that I was much less self-obsessed and more interested in having a good time. My skin is still quite clear now, and I look quite good. I really hope that it stays this way. At the moment I am using both tea tree oil and BP gel, as well as a witch-hazel based moisturiser. I am also using a St. Ives clear pore facial wash which I think works well. I am not taking antibiotics or any other medication, and I don't intend to again. I wish I understood why my skin behaves the way it does, rather than having to guess at what I am doing right/wrong.

Oh, on the subject of exercise, I exercise regularly. I am into weights and also cardiovascular training. I am into kickboxing so I try to keep my body both fit and strong. I haven't noticed that exercise makes much of a difference. Also I think swimming keeps spots at bay, mainly because of the chlorine in the water. I know of a person who's skin was cleared by an accident with chloros (a concentrated chlorine based solution used to steralise lab. equipment). The accident almost blinded him and he was in hospital for a while so don't try this at home, but I think the low levels of chlorine in a swimming pool are quite therapeutic. Any one else noticed this?
"How come the dove gets to be the peace-symbol? How about a pillow? It has more feathers than a dove and doesn't have that dangerous beak."
Jack Handy

#8 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:42 AM

According to studies I have read, persistant hyperglycemia (which can happen in a diet high in sugar) can lead to slowed healing of the skin and reduced collagen on the skin surface. Neither of these cause acne, though.
before you judge me take a look at you
can't you find something better to do
point the finger, slow to understand
arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

#9 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (mr.peabody @ Aug 20 2004, 04:16 AM)
...Also I think swimming keeps spots at bay, mainly because of the chlorine in the water.... but I think the low levels of chlorine in a swimming pool are quite therapeutic.  Any one else noticed this?

I noticed the beneficial effect of chlorinated swimming pool water. I would spend an hour in the pool at the Holly City Family Center, dunking my head frequently, at least once a week, because it tended to keep my skin clear. However, not all pools are well maintained with regard to the proper concentration of chlorine, and some public pools are so overcrowded that they're actually septic.

I've found the same result can be obtained by dousing the face with a weak solution of sodium hypochlorite (household bleach), after washing, and letting the face air dry. One half to one teaspoon of bleach, added to one liter of water, seems to be effective, without being so strong as to burn the skin. I've found it helps to add a few drops of liquid soap or mild detergent, as a wetting agent. Care must be taken not to get any of the solution into the eyes. If that does occur, flush eyes with running water for 15 minutes. I apply the solution gently, from cupped hand, to the lower portion of the face, and I use a cotton ball to apply the solution to the nose.

#10 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 August 2004 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE (emmanuel @ Aug 20 2004, 12:30 AM)
Like I said, stress is a major factor in acne.

yep smile.gif its the biggest burden for the liver.

#11 admiral

admiral

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:49 AM

what can I eat then.....when I shouldnt eat bread, pasta, sugar and greasy food........theres aint anything left!!

pls...my acne is greatly influenced by diet.I know what foods break me out... but not so good what should i eat to keep my face clear... any hints?
I don't care what they may say. I don't care what they may do. Jesus is still allright with me.

#12 Guest_Stu :-)_*

Guest_Stu :-)_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE (admiral @ Aug 23 2004, 03:36 AM)
what can I eat then.....when I shouldnt eat bread, pasta, sugar and greasy food........theres aint anything left!!

pls...my acne is greatly influenced by diet.I know what foods break me out... but not so good what should i eat to keep my face clear... any hints?

Dude, it might be a bit more expensive, but you could try all the gear under the organic section when you go shopping. Try foods without, or little wheat/gluten. I think this helps me out considerably. There are quite a lot of foods. Jacket potatoes, baked beans, tuna, bacon, turkey burgers, fish, veg, oven chips are ok, porridge oats... take your time in the super market mate, loads out there...

Stu

#13 dh32

dh32

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:40 PM

Stress caused my acne. You should try meditation and deep breathing exercizes combined with the help of a good dermatologist and not worry about diet. Diet has been proven over and over not to cause acne.
"Fall down seven times, get up eight"

#14 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:49 PM

Show... me... the... proof? cool.gif
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#15 admiral

admiral

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:05 AM

1/ well i thought bacon - fat - oil from sebaceous glands - ya'll know the rest

2/ TESCO in my country = poor choice & poor food, hard to get anything "oncommon"

I don't care what they may say. I don't care what they may do. Jesus is still allright with me.

#16 BomberMan

BomberMan

He might get the ace or the top one,So organise your two's a

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2004 - 04:10 AM

I don't understand how so many people believe that acne is not diet related, maybe for some it isn't or maybe even for most it isn't but mine deffinatly IS

Think about the tribes who live in the rain forest etc they live in mud huts and have no access to what we would consider "proper" washing facilities or even a tiolet yet they all have perfect skin and teeth I believe this is because they eat natural food which is free from chemicals and preservatives and and drink only water, fruit juice and milk.
How many people here that say acne is not diet related actually have a reasonably healthy diet?
if you go about your day guzzling like 8 cans of coke and eating shit then your asking for trouble......

caffeine = stimulant <you don't want to stimulate your oil glands, you need to surpress them.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."- Adam Savage