Photo

Minocycline Questions and Concerns! Help needed from those who have been on it!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 YourfriendShan

YourfriendShan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

I started on Minocycline about 4 weeks ago. I hear it makes acne worse before it makes it better is this true? My skin is the worst it's ever been in my entire life. I've never had acne up until now and it's never been bad enough for me to need to go to a dermotologist. He immediately prescribed minocycline for me and I've been on it for 4 weeks, he warned that it would get worse before it gets better and I'm wondering how long it will be THIS bad before it actually clears up. It's 10x worse than it was. I'm breaking out in places I've never broken out in the past. I feel like it's just bringing everything to the surface and my skin is just doing a toxic cleansing but I'm not sure why it's freaking out this bad.

I've also read a billion reviews online and I don't know what to believe anymore in terms of what this specific antibiotic will do to you. There is so much left and right all over the internet. I've read stuff on here where it helps initially; but, it seems like the majority of people are saying that it will just come back after you're off the Rx and then your body becomes immune to it and it kills all the good bacteria etc. I asked my doctor what would happen after I stopped taking it when he prescribed it and he said usually it kills off enough of the bacteria that it doesn't come back so you don't have to be on it for more than 3 months before you can be done with it. Is this true?

I don't know what to believe anymore. Literally! What is true? I'm not planning on taking it for anymore than 3 months so am I at risk for all these horror stories I'm reading everywhere? I'm scared to keep taking it now because I don't want my acne to get worse than it already is. My skin has never been this bad ever. I never had acne as a teenager and I don't know what I'd do with myself if it got worse than this after the Minocycline.

Summary 2 basic questions: Does it get way worse before it gets better and will it come back when you get off of it?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

#2 asburypark101

asburypark101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:26 PM

I am currently on minocycline and I have been using it for years. Well to answer your questions minocycline does kill off the bacteria that causes acne and has been great in controlling my acne, also out of all of the antibiotics it has the least chance of resistance. Now here is the bad part, I have tried weening myself off this minocyline twice and the acne has come back with a vengeance!! So while the antiboitic is great for my skin, I wonder when I will ever get off it. I hope this helps. Good luck!!

#3 YourfriendShan

YourfriendShan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (asburypark101 @ Feb 7 2011, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am currently on minocycline and I have been using it for years. Well to answer your questions minocycline does kill off the bacteria that causes acne and has been great in controlling my acne, also out of all of the antibiotics it has the least chance of resistance. Now here is the bad part, I have tried weening myself off this minocyline twice and the acne has come back with a vengeance!! So while the antiboitic is great for my skin, I wonder when I will ever get off it. I hope this helps. Good luck!!

#4 YourfriendShan

YourfriendShan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

Ugghhhhh......That's no good. I've never had severe acne but I've had a lot of stress lately that I think has caused it to flare up really bad causing me to need to go to a dermo for the first time in my life. I'm a month in on Mino and I'm afraid to take it now if it's going to make it worse in the long run because it's never been extremely horrific until now. Maybe I'll go back to the dermo and ask him what I should do. I really don't want to take it forever and have to deal with worse acne if I ever get off. Is there a safer way to "prevent" it?....Nothing seems to be working and now I'm really scared. whistling.gif/

Thanks for the help! I wonder if everyone else who has been on it experiences the same thing.... If the majority of people have the same experience then I'm probably in trouble.

#5 asburypark101

asburypark101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:51 PM

I'm sorry I understand your frustration, if I knew the answer I wouldnt still be using this antibiotic forver and a day, lol! There are some topicals that work great for some people and are safer than the antibiotics, so you may want to try asking that. As of right now though, there is no sure way to prevent acne according to most derms, which really sucks even more

#6 asburypark101

asburypark101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:04 AM

Oh one more thing...you could ask your derm about a prescription called Aczone. I hear it does wonders for moderate to severe acne in combination with a retinoid (e.g. Aczone in the morning and the retinoid at night). This is just a thought since it seems like you are not keen on taking the antibiotic for a long period of time or wanting the acne to come back.

#7 biggs881

biggs881

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

Antibiotics are a waste of time and money in the treatment of acne. They act too far down the line in the "chain of events that cause acne" to produce a significant improvement, particularly in the long-term. Furthermore, extended use of antibiotics can cause the acne bacteria to mutate into more treatment-resistant strains. Thus, even if antibiotics give you short-term improvement in your acne, your acne will almost certainly eventually come back just as bad if not worse than before.

In addition, antibiotics commonly have other undesirable side effects (e.g. yeast infections - jock itch for boys, thrush for girls) that may persist long after you've finished the course.

Dermatologists unfortunately but understandably prescribe antibiotics before Accutane for fear of being sued because of negligence/malpractice in case something goes wrong with one of their patients on Accutane, typically a reckless woman getting pregnant on it. However, despite its teratogenicity, Accutane is the best available treatment and is actually a very safe drug as long as patients show normal blood tests on it, avoid the sun, and minimise alcohol intake (the latter two of which also apply to antibiotics). (For more information, read the posts on this site by Antony regarding antibiotics and acne.)

My advice: Keep going to dermatologists until you find one who will prescribe you Accutane.

You won't, but you will remember this advice in 3 years and wish you had.

Edited by jimmy188, 27 February 2011 - 11:28 PM.

#8 prncess23

prncess23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:40 PM

Please see my post here, regarding Minocyline.

#9 VisionQ

VisionQ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

i've been using minocycline too . it's march 30th and i started my mino Feb 16. it's been a month and a half and at the moment i've had more acne at once than i've ever had. i have never broke out so bad and im worried the mino has stopped working. whats happening? will it all clear up soon. also i saw that your derm told you that it gets worse before it gets better. is this true. we're going through the same damn issue here looks like lol.