Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

squares

Not getting dry, red skin?!

11 posts in this topic

I have started the regimen, this is my second day, I am not complaining but I am not getting dry, red, burning skin like everyone seems to be complaining of.

Am I doing something wrong?!

Started regime: 04/02/11

AM & PM:

1) WASH: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

2) MEDICATE: Panoxyl 2.5% Aquagel BP 1 pump of Acne.Org BP (09/03/11)

3) MOISTURISE: Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion / Lac Hydrin Five

(with 3-4 drops of Jojoba Oil)

SPF 15: Olay Sensitive Moisturising UV Fluid

4) Acne.Org AHA+ every night X2 a week (08/05/11)

Visit My Acne.Org Regimen Log :-)

Sometimes the irritation doesn't set in for a week or so. Just take it slowly and hopefully you won't experience many issues with your skin adjusting to the bp.

But honestly, we can't tell if you are doing anything wrong if you haven't even told us what you are doing. ;)

I didn't see redness until 3-4 days and dryness until about a week, but maybe you're one of the lucky ones and won't experience those 'side effects' at all! :D I definitely wouldn't conclude you're doing something wrong this early in the game -- take it as a positive sign. :)

I must have been one of the few that didn't experience any kind of irritation at all. No redness, dryness, itchyness etc. I applied the BP to the whole of my face without any side affects...apart from a clear skin after a couple of months. :)

Sometimes the irritation doesn't set in for a week or so. Just take it slowly and hopefully you won't experience many issues with your skin adjusting to the bp.

But honestly, we can't tell if you are doing anything wrong if you haven't even told us what you are doing. ;)

Oops this is true! :)

Okay so I am following Dan's 3 step regime:

1) Wash- cleansing gently for 10 seconds with Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, gently drying with a clean hand towel

Waiting 10 minutes

2) Medicate- using Panoxyl BP 2.5% , again trying to get this done quickly and gently. I have started with half a finger length to begin with and plan on increasing this as the weeks progress.

Waiting again 10 minutes

3) Moisturising- Simple Clear Skin Oil balancing moisturiser, same procedure as the BP

(currently waiting on Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion, but no real problems with the moisturiser I am using, no breakouts touch wood)

I am also taking antibiotics prescribed by my GP: Tetralysal(Lymecycline). Also with the antibiotics they have said it is ineffective with dairy products so I am now drinking soya milk in my tea. Not a huge fan of eggs so it is okay:D

So it has been 3 days since I have started the antibiotics and day 3 of my regime. I have mild/moderate acne mainly on my cheeks and chin. My family seem to think they have already noticed a difference- I think they are just being kind lol.

I think I may know why I am not experiencing the dryness yet- it could be because I was using 5% BP previously for spot treatment- and that was awful for me got all the side effects- but decided to get 2.5% to do the regime correctly!

Will keep you updated :D

AM & PM:

I must have been one of the few that didn't experience any kind of irritation at all. No redness, dryness, itchyness etc. I applied the BP to the whole of my face without any side affects...apart from a clear skin after a couple of months. :)

Ah sounds great :D

What products did you use? I see you are from the UK too :D It is pretty hard to get hold of some of the stuff. Thank God for Lloyd's Pharmacy and Cetaphil products!

AM & PM:

I didn't see redness until 3-4 days and dryness until about a week, but maybe you're one of the lucky ones and won't experience those 'side effects' at all! :D I definitely wouldn't conclude you're doing something wrong this early in the game -- take it as a positive sign. :)

Ha I think I have become a bit obsessive :rolleyes: ... how is your regime going?

AM & PM:

Ah sounds great :D

What products did you use? I see you are from the UK too :D It is pretty hard to get hold of some of the stuff. Thank God for Lloyd's Pharmacy and Cetaphil products!

I used Daniel Kern's products (cleanser, BP, & moisterizer) ordered from this website. It does work out expesive to get delivered to the UK (as we have to pay import VAT & brokerage surcharges), but I wanted to make sure I was getting the right stuff. (and it comes in nice big bottles!).

I have seen other threads where members have commented on Panoxyl 2.5% causing redness & dryness where Daniel Kern's did not, even though they are the same strength. I can only assume it's down to the other ingredients in the recipe.

When my DK cleanser ran out, I used "Olay gentle cleansers refreshing face wash", & have been using it ever since. It is labeled as non-comedogenic. Since I don't suffer from dry skin, I have stopped using moisteriser completely. I still use DK BP, but only 3 times a week now.

I put my photos up in the gallery. I did use other methods as well as DK's regimen, but as I still have mild body acne, I think the DK regimen had most effect.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...amp;album=11439

HA HA HA... oh how the world works.

My face is burning and red lol. It is day 3 and I have just done my PM routine. It isn't unbearable but definitely irritating. Ha I shouldn't have spoken so soon.

AM & PM:

Day 5:

I can't believe it is already 5 days, I think I have been following Dan's regime pretty well, still trying to get the washing stage down to 10 seconds,I tend to go a little longer than that but keep to gentle fingertips.

Definitely a dry face, red after applying moisturiser(still waiting for Cetaphil, as I think the Simple is irritating my skin after the BP, but not unbearable), face is getting a tight, cracked feel and look to it, but no breakouts yet and no active acne. Seems a bit soon but some red marks have also faded quite a bit. A lot of compliments from my Mum which is strange as she never has given any regarding my skin. But that is nice to hear :)

I have ordered some Jojoba oil for the dryness which should come next week.. so far I am pretty happy as progress is a lot quicker than I thought:D

AM & PM:

Posted · This comment is awaiting approval by a moderator · Report post

One day treatment.

Use laser treatment.It has high wave length which will absorb your all moisturizer from your skin and effective for red skin.Other way,you can uyse zinc from zinc capsules.zinc will treat your skin very gentle and very fast.

laser-acne-scars-treatment.yourhealthorbit.com/

*Moderator edit, URL's removed - read the board rules that you agreed to when signing up.*

Day 6:

My Cetaphil Moisturing Lotion has arrived :D I hope it is better than Simple and doesn't cause the burning feeling. Getting used to it now really, it isn't awful.

No real changes todays. Quite tight on my cheeks and under my eyes. More flaking at the edges of my mouth and forehead. Other than that redness has subsided since last night, no active acne and that is really it.

:)

Update:

The Cetaphil Mosturising Lotion is A LOT better for me than Simple . Definitely less burning. People complain of it being thick but I think it is just right for me as my face feels so tight and dry right now. I think I need to use it a few more times before I feel more moisturised. So far I like it :D

AM & PM:

Day 7:

Again no real change today! No break outs, skin is pretty much the same. I don't really like the tone of it at the moment. In summary:

-Redness has definitely gone down

-Feeling very dry

-Dead flaky skin

My Jojoba oil has arrived! Going to try cool as kim deal's exfoliation method for the dry skin tonight in hope to get rid of these awful flakes around my mouth and forehead!

AM & PM:

Day 8:

The jojoba oil was pretty good. Not great. But tbh I think I wasn't too sure how to use it correctly as an exfoliant. I applied a bit too much pressure- I think the key is to be gentle. I got rid of about 60% of the flakes but really I think it is down to me not having a clue what I was doing! I am going to try again in a days time and just stick to a few drops in my moisturiser for now. As I don't feel comfortable at touching my skin all that much. But it works for a lot of people, so possibly just me!

2-3 small white heads in areas have appeared, red marks seems slightly redder (possibly my rubbish technique of jojoba oil massaging :S)

Bit dissapointed but keeping patient!

Happy Friday all :) !

AM & PM:

Day 9:

A breakout! Not much just one or two. In areas where I massaged the jojoba oil. I definitely don't think I will be trying this again. I think I will just let the flakes fall off on their own and use the jojoba oil in the moisturiser.

Personally for me - I think having that much contact with your face makes your own regime, as Dan has pretty much said not to. And when I did I broke out. Or could be because I am in my second week and this is the purge moment but I feel it is the above reason!

AM & PM:

Moved to acne.org regimen logs at request of poster.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

Moved to acne.org regimen logs at request of poster.

Thanks!

AM & PM:

You're quite welcome! :)

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

Day 12:

I am almost entering Week 3 and I wanted to write an overall update.

Diet: I am really pleased with myself I haven't consumed any dairy for 12 days! I know it isn't long compared to some people but I have been very dedicated in not giving in. I am really used to Soya Milk now, there really is no different in taste (to me anyway!) and I have just substituted butter for jam. Also just cut out fizzy drinks and drinking lots of juices and water. Other than that I am eating as I was previously: fruit & veg and junk when I feel like it.

Regime: I am pleased again that I have really been keeping to the regime even on really busy days twice a day. Even when I have been really dry and flaky during days 3-10, I have still kept to it.

Since getting jojoba oil my skin is really nicely moisturised and looking / feeling so much softer! It seems very soon to be honest but I feel I have got a good way of moisturising and I still have slight flakes in areas (especially my forehead and slightly on my cheeks) but it is so much better than the brown flakes I had before jojoba oil. I did try the exfoliation method once but I am not sure it agreed with my skin however mixing the jojoba oil with my moisturiser is so much better for me. Dan was right I really have got the flakiness under control. I too have become a jojoba junky!

Also I have found that like many said the Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion is a little greasy/heavy. And I have found the Simple Oil Balancing Moisturiser is working a lot better now that the burning has gone down and my skin is used to the BP a bit more. I use Cetaphil occasionally if I feel very dry.

Breakouts:I used to break out a fair bit on my chin. So far touch wood, this area is looking clearer and the red/brown marks are fading quite well. I have been very gentle here when cleansing etc. Also I have found using petroleum jelly here has been great when I am very dry. Looks nice and smooth now.

Also the breakouts on the regimen I had a couple of days ago, were in places I never breakout, near my side burns. They have gone down a lot quicker with the BP and are healing quite well. Um I had a papule on my cheek (where I break out usually) and this went down by Wynne's icing & ibuprofen method :D it looks a whole lot less angry and inflamed and healing nicely.

I am pretty pleased today overall. Last time I said that I broke out:P But I guess it is early days and expected! That is all. Good luck with everyone doing the regime :) !x

AM & PM:

For anyone reading- hoping for some input.

Is it normal for me to already have my flakes under control on Day 12? It is not 100% under control but about 80%. I am using Cetaphil Moisturiser/ Simple with Jojoba Oil. And I am not really feeling the dryness/tighness as much as say Day 5-10. I reduced the BP ever so slightly from half a fingerlength.

Any advice/ views. Thanks!

AM & PM:

...I am really used to Soya Milk now, there really is no different in taste (to me anyway!) and I have just substituted butter for jam...

When I gave up dairy, I used "Pure" dairy-free sunflower spread. Pure also produce a soya spread as well, although I have never tried it.

Ooh thanks! Will have a look for it! I really miss buttery toast :( !!!

AM & PM:

Day 13:

Breakout on my forehead; quite painful so I used the ice method again to help reduce the pain and swelling

You think your getting somewhere then... Again - It was expected in this week.

:(

AM & PM:

Day 17: (Week 3)

I didn't use BP for two mornings as I had friends over and I was just too lazy :( Definitely had an effect- a breakout on my chin and forehead. Which in a way makes me happy to know that the BP is working. So I got myself together this morning and washed my bedding and pillowcases just trying to get back into the same routine again!

But I am really proud of myself for not wearing make up this weekend! As I thought I was going to but I thought it would just flake off so decided against it!

Other than that just trying to get back on the regime again after 2 days of slacking !!!

Also got another new moisturiser which is great -I think I have finally found the ONE- Simple Replenshing Moisturiser

:)

AM & PM:

Day 18:

I just ordered some AHA lotion from the Acne.org store :D it should arrive hopefully by the time I am able to use it. I ordered it early so it would come by the time I can use it in a couple of weeks :D

My first product from the store! Wasn't really sure what other ones would be like and wanted to start some of the Acne.org products - so will let you know how I get on with it :)

A general update of the products that I am using:

PanOxyl: I think I am one of the few that like this- it burned the first few days I used it and it didn't really glide on because my skin was just so dry- but now with the jojoba oil it glides on much better and I am pretty happy with it, it does the job for me

Cetaphil Cleansing Wash: Is perfect and does the job. It cleanses, is gentle and doesn't cause me any irritation

Jojoba Oil: Don't think I could have got to Day 18 without it or any further than that. It really soothes, calms and moisturises my skin

That is all :) things are looking slightly better today...!

AM & PM: