Photo

Does steaming vegetables destroy all the nutrients?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 BeadyB

BeadyB

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

My favorite vegetable is broccoli. But I adore it steamed. Makes it so delicious and easy to add to rice dishes and such.

By doing this, am I losing all the nutrients? Is it basically void of nutritional value this way?

#2 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:44 PM

Steaming is actually one of the best ways to cook vegetables, you lose a lot less nutrients compared to boiling smile.gif In Dr.Murad's book The Water Secret, I think he says steaming keeps around 70% of the nutrients while boiling is 20-30%, haven't read about it anywhere else though.

#3 BeadyB

BeadyB

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

haha thanks.

#4 OmegaisJaded

OmegaisJaded

Pokemon Queen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

I'm sure different of levels of steaming would also affect the nutrient content...steaming them until they are super soft and fragile is probably not a good idea. That would be gross anyways,though!

#5 recoverme

recoverme

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (OmegaisJaded @ Feb 5 2011, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure different of levels of steaming would also affect the nutrient content...steaming them until they are super soft and fragile is probably not a good idea. That would be gross anyways,though!

I kind of like it like that *shrug*

#6 BeadyB

BeadyB

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (recoverme @ Feb 4 2011, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (OmegaisJaded @ Feb 5 2011, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I kind of like it like that *shrug*

Haha. Me too....

#7 Guest_fugleee_dumbBUNNY_*

Guest_fugleee_dumbBUNNY_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (tim12 @ Feb 4 2011, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steaming is actually one of the best ways to cook vegetables, you lose a lot less nutrients compared to boiling smile.gif In Dr.Murad's book The Water Secret, I think he says steaming keeps around 70% of the nutrients while boiling is 20-30%, haven't read about it anywhere else though.

wow didnt know that, boiling sure destroys alot then. but do u need that special steaming device or something? :/
my mom just takes a pan, adds a bit water (like 1 cm high) n then let veggies stay there for a time on a low fire, basicalle make a stew thing, isnt that steaming too? :/

#8 BeadyB

BeadyB

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

I have two pots I use. The bottom one boils the water, the top one holds the vegetables and has holes on the bottom.

#9 Guest_fugleee_dumbBUNNY_*

Guest_fugleee_dumbBUNNY_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:31 PM

^ do u put a cover too? n how big is fire n how long do u steam them like that? :/

#10 OmegaisJaded

OmegaisJaded

Pokemon Queen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (fugleee_dumbBUNNY @ Feb 5 2011, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (tim12 @ Feb 4 2011, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow didnt know that, boiling sure destroys alot then. but do u need that special steaming device or something? :/
my mom just takes a pan, adds a bit water (like 1 cm high) n then let veggies stay there for a time on a low fire, basicalle make a stew thing, isnt that steaming too? :/

You can get bamboo steaming baskets to put into woks.

#11 CelloIsLove

CelloIsLove

Pedo-stache <3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

Raw veggies have more nutrients and have enzymes that are killed when cooking, but cooking vegetables makes them easier to digest. So eat some raw veggies and some cooked so you get both benefits.

#12 BeadyB

BeadyB

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:12 AM

Thanks Cello,

And yes Fuglee, I do put a cover on! smile.gif

#13 annayake

annayake

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

boiling rids veggies of so much nutrients, because they dissolve in water which is disposed after cooking. so preparing a stew or a soup, when water is left in the dish, should preserve amount of nutrients somewhere in between levels of steamed and boiled veggies. closer to steamed even, however high amounts of nutrients in this type of preparation is achieved by only softening them, not making them 'mushy' wink.gif if you make your veggies mushy through steaming, i don't think there is much a difference between getting this result through steaming or stewing...

cooking kills enzymes, as well as inhibitors and certain other toxins. it just breaks down most chemical substances, not being picky or judgimental about their value or impact on humans. eating both raw and cooked seems best.

#14 Sito

Sito

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:12 PM

good topic with some DAMN GOOD INFO.

i learned i've been steaming my broccoli and sweet potatoe chunks too long b/c i like them super soft and fragile as well.

Also, what's the nutritional value of frozen vegetables that come ready to be steamed right in the bag in the microwave? not much correct? better off i stay buying raw broccoli crowns at the store?

ALso, is it ok, as in healthy and sanitary to use the same water that was used to steam vegetables earlier in the day later on in the evening?

in other words, should i replace the water or could i use the same water and pots at 7:30 in the evening that i previously used to steam broccoli and sweet potatoe chunks (w/ skin) at 11:30 in the morning?

excuse my wording and my English Please. gotta <3 AMERICA tho.

Basically, is Reusing the water ok?

#15 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

The short answer is no, it doesn't destroy all nutrients. Also, cooking makes some nutrients more available.

Some nutrients are destroyed by heat and some aren't. If you browse through the Food and Recipe thread somewhere down in a post on cooking methods, there's a link to a chart showing what cooking, freezing and whatever do to various nutrients.

What you don't want to do is overcook. When the bright color starts to dull, you've started destroying the nutrients.

#16 Sito

Sito

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

what about reusing the water used to steam vegetables?>> is that ok to use again or should the pots be cleaned and filled with new filtered water?