Perioral Dermatitis

2 replies to this topic

#1 crissiej

crissiej

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

I was just diagnosed with Perioral Dermatitis. I was put on topical because I won't take oral antibiotics.

It seems to be holding it's own...any other things I might try? I have read apple cider vinegar...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:00 AM

I used to use all of the natural remedies and I'm still a health freak (organic foods, products, etc.) but unfortunately the natural remedies never made much of a dent in my acne. In fact I avoided any antibiotics or perscription meds throughout my 20's and 30's and think I may have put myself through unnecessary agony. In my 40's I started going to a derm and started taking some perscription meds...antibiotics to calm things down (short-term) and an anti-androgen (spironolactone) which is very gentle to the body. Now I use the treatment regime below. Some of the perscription drugs are really wonder drugs...ie tretinoin cream - which is really just a vitamin A derivative (...that's natural...).

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that dermatology has come a long way and most derms try really hard to use the most natural and safest treatments. Taking an antibiotic short-term is not going to hurt you and may actually help your skin to calm down and heal. Topicals take longer but can help maintain healthy skin.

You may want to get allergy testing. I just recently found out that allergies contribute to skin inflammation and can aggravate existing conditions. So I got official testing (skin and blood) and discovered I have allergies to shellfish and peas and also have dairy and high fructose intolerances. My skin is looking a 100% better since avoiding all of these things...may not cure it but is a piece of the treatment program.

There's probably no harm in trying natural remedies except they can sometimes be harsh on sensitive skin (tree tea oil, salicylic acid, etc.). Many so-called natural remedies rely on salicylic acid which may be too irritating for some skin conditions like yours. Was for me.

Edited by cvd, 01 February 2011 - 11:01 AM.

#3 Siava

Siava

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Location:the South where grits are a staple and frog legs are a delicacy.
  • Interests:Lots of stuff.

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

Ugh, I went through a bout of this as well. It can be so stubborn, but is treatable. smile.gif

Be careful when brushing your teeth. Toothpaste can be an irritating culprit. When brushing your teeth, try not to get any foamed paste on your face when you're rinsing your mouth.

I use to get all foamy like a mad dog, stick my face over the sink, and use water cupped in my hand to rinse the area off around my mouth and chin. Do you brush your teeth like that? Such a silly question, I know. amused.gif

eta: I'm not opposed to antibiotics for a short stint if you haven't used them in the past, but we all have personal opinions about them for various reasons. Topicals are good for PD as well. What topical were you prescribed? I'm just curious on that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users