2 replies to this topic

#1 birdygreer

birdygreer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and, like everybody else, just looking for support. I've been picking at the keratosis pilaris on my arms for about 4 years now and the scars have gotten bad. I can't stop. It takes me to this "safe", private place in my head. I don't know how to get that feeling (or if i can get that feeling) without picking. I see a therapist and have a support system, but it's just so automatic.

I'm so embarrassed about my arms. I have a lot of weddings and a vacation coming up where i'll be sleveless and i'm just mortified. I want to stop but I don't know how. I'm going to try the techniques in the Chill Out program and see how it goes.

Would love to hear from anyone who can relate.

Thanks for reading,

Birdy

#2 jesselane

jesselane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Hi, I hope your able to stop picking at your kp, keratosis pilaris is not only genetic, but also a symptom of already irritated or unhealthy skin (think of it like a genetic predisposition toward unhealthy or easily irritated skin), and picking at will only cause it to get worse.

As for the emotional issues leading you to want to pick your skin, you should definitely seek out a therapist that specializes in this type of behavior (someone who treats patients with OCD, etc.).

As for treating the kp bumps on your skin, I would start by exfoliating and moisturizing the affected areas at least 2 or 3 times a day, taking 2 or 3 fish oil supplements a day, and doing some research into altering your diet to improve your skin (many people swear by cutting either gluten or dairy out of their diets).
Good luck, and I really hope your skin will clear up soon!

#3 tritonxiv

tritonxiv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

My KP went away when I stopped washing/touching my upper arms and supplemented iodine. I'm not sure which helped most.

I do know that moisturizing + ex-foliating the upper arms made it 100% worse for both me and my sister.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users