Photo

Vitamin B5, LOSING HAIR

vitamin vitamins vitamin b vitamin b5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#21 pjjordan

pjjordan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

The hair loss has not stopped yet. I can't tell if the hair loss is slowing down, but where the hair is lost, small hairs are popping up. I see my derm every 3 months. They are a few doctors that work at the hospital and say that the cases they deal with for TE stop between 6 months and 2 years. Mine is going on for 7 months now. I have dandruff ever since the TE started and use a tea tree oil shampoo which controls the dandruff well. Keeping my hopes up it will stop soon. My derm has suggested rogain which has helped some of their patients. Every time I start though I get horrible dandruff. They suggested the rogain foam which I am going to give a try.

Edited by pjjordan, 09 August 2011 - 01:34 PM.

#22 malika585

malika585

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (pjjordan @ Aug 9 2011, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The hair loss has not stopped yet. I can't tell if the hair loss is slowing down, but where the hair is lost, small hairs are popping up. I see my derm every 3 months. They are a few doctors that work at the hospital and say that the cases they deal with for TE stop between 6 months and 2 years. Mine is going on for 7 months now. I have dandruff ever since the TE started and use a tea tree oil shampoo which controls the dandruff well. Keeping my hopes up it will stop soon. My derm has suggested rogain which has helped some of their patients. Every time I start though I get horrible dandruff. They suggested the rogain foam which I am going to give a try.

Thanks for replying. I have heard that the hair growth from rogain only remains until you keep taking it and it all goes away once you stop. I don't know about the foam though.. let me know how that works for you and I may give it a try. Has your derm recommended any other supplements for you? Have you had your iron (ferritin levels) checked? I also had issues with dandruff after taking B5 and switched to a herbal tea tree shampoo that I found in wholefoods and its been much better since. I am also trying to massage my head with lavender oil because I read it helps stimulate hair growth... but this needs to be done for 6-7 months sad.gif

I also read that ginkgo biloba and saw palmetto help decrease DHT which is a cause of Hair loss so you may want to look into those. Since you talked about toxicity.... I thought I'd mention that I've been trying to do a liver cleanse to help my body flush out the toxins. I just started taking milk thislte, dandellion and burdock today and hopefully will see some decent results in the next 2 months.

I must confess... I've been so obsessed with this hair loss thing... even more than my acne. It makes me feel so much better to get feedback and hear about your experiences. I really hope this is a temporary state for all of us.

#23 Bourne

Bourne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:59 PM

You seem to be on the right track. There are lots of things you can try; try to find connections to other cures people have found for hair loss & give the ones that look promising a good test run before you throw them out. One of my favorite sites is earth-clinic and they have an extensive section on hair loss http://www.earthclin.../hair_loss.html read through some of the testimonies and remedies and try them out. Your loss might be caused by overdosing on B5, but that doesn't mean that the problem couldn't be coming from an extension of that problem (if that makes sense). You could try going on a diet for a while that gives your liver and body overall a rest from some of the bad food we eat daily. Cut back on sugar and definitely make sure your body is receiving it's recommended dosage of water. When you don't water grass, it slowly turns brown and dies. Our body is made of a large percentage of water, and when we lack, it starts to show. Get exercise and proper sleep too, all very important in healing the body; some sunshine probably wouldn't hurt either. Best wishes.

PS. Your hair doesn't need shampoos and conditioners to grow and be healthy. My grandfather is in his 70's and has a full head of thick white hair and he is super old-school. He doesn't use, nor has he for most of his life, shampoos and conditioners, nor did he shower daily. These 50 brands of products you see in stores now weren't around 100 years ago, and people didn't lose their hair. I guess what I'm saying is that the body knows how to function without the need of man-made chemical products that lots of us throw at our bodies. Just an idea smile.gif

Edited by Bourne, 20 August 2011 - 11:04 PM.

#24 sverd

sverd

anonymous

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:56 AM

Your losing hair because B5 inhibits biotin and causes a deficiency. Biotin is necessary for hair and skin, coincidentally taking it causes acne in many people. See the connection? Take biotin, but keep the dose small to see how your skin reacts to it.

Edited by sverd, 21 August 2011 - 07:57 AM.

#25 pjjordan

pjjordan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (sverd @ Aug 21 2011, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your losing hair because B5 inhibits biotin and causes a deficiency. Biotin is necessary for hair and skin, coincidentally taking it causes acne in many people. See the connection? Take biotin, but keep the dose small to see how your skin reacts to it.

This is not true. B5 causes a shock to your system when taken in large doses and causes Telogen Effluvium. Telogen Effluvium can be caused by many medications and vitamins such as Accutane which is a derivative of vitamin A. Its a body reaction to the drug that it does not like. I have been taking biotin for 8 months with no improvements. I have also had blood tests from my Derm and my levels are fine.

#26 malika585

malika585

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

I had been taking Biotin withe the B5. I never took more than 4 mgs of B5 and I took 5 mg of Biotin everyday. I took B5 from mid March and switched to pantethine for a couple of weeks. Then I started B5 again cause the pantethine was not having any effect on my skin. That time I stayed on B5 for about 3 weeks. I read you should take at least 1 mg of Biotin for each gram of B5 and I did do that but the B complex was not of the same brand (quality) so maybe that had an effect.

Now I'm taking 5 mg every 12 hrs to see if that helps. I usually take it with 500 mg of Vit c and take a B 50 complex once in the morning. I had a feeling my hair has started to shed more of late which is odd because it should be slowing down if anything. I guess I have to give it a year and see what happens.

This morning I found an article on google that seemed interesting... it was a study done on women with hair loss problems. They tried a combination of supplements that showed positive results in 6 months. It may help someone here... Just google "Dietary supplement increases anagen hair rate in women with .." and the pdf will come up. Basically it shows that taking L- Cystine 20mg, keratin 20 mg, medicinal yeast 100 mg, calcium pantothenic acid 60 mg, thiamine nitrate 60 mg, and PABA 20 mg (1 capsule, 3xs daily with meals for 6 months) helped increase hair growth. After trying the milk thistle liver detox for the next few months I may try this and see if it helps. I am afraid of the pantothenic acid (B5) but could try all the other supplements.

#27 malika585

malika585

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

see below

Edited by malika585, 11 September 2011 - 08:33 PM.

#28 malika585

malika585

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:30 PM

---
I am still taking the milk thistle, dandelion root and burdock pills. Its not helping much and my hair is shedding pretty heavily. But I suppose one has to be on this regimen for about 2 months to really see a difference... I have to say that oil of oregano does help with my cystic acne which is a monthly pain. But its only about 50% effective.

Speaking of alternative therapy... I have been reading on Edgar Cayce remedies for hair loss and there is a product called Formula 636 and crude oil regiment that is supposed to be effective. Has anyone heard or had experience with this? Its hard to find reviews for this tonic - Formula 636 which are not related to the Cayce or another sale website. I find his remedies to be really logical so I will look into them after the milk thistle. Its based on the idea of iodine deficiency... and using a more active form of iodine know as Atomidine which stimulates the thyroid glands. If anyone has more info please share it with me!

Apparently I cannot post the link to the website but if you google Edgar Cayce and hair loss you will see the info come up.

#29 Beautyy

Beautyy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

I was taking B5 for exactly 1 month. I stopped yesterday when I noticed a drastic difference in my hair. I had naturally thick thick hair(it was crazy how thick my hair was). I now only have 25% of the amount of hair that I used to have. I started off on 2G's a day & upped the dose every 5 days I was on 7 grams when I noticed the difference in my hair. I stopped immediately & I now extremely worried on what is going to happen. I plan on seeing a doctor today & drinking a lot of water & sweat it out like I read on one of the above posts. I don't want to put anything else in my body. I'm hoping and praying this works for me.

#30 travelleruk

travelleruk

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

^hope it works out for you.

Just wanted to post and say there is hope for people that lose hair with b5, I am finally re-growing my hair.

I was on b5 from about Nov 2009 to Sept 2011, taking about 4 grams a day. It worked really well for acne but around June 2010 I started noticing hair falling out a lot in the shower but didn't think anything of it as my hair still looked ok. Then around July 2011 I let my hair grow longer and finally realised that it was thinning and receding a fair bit. After that I slowly came of it.

It hasn't been until the last 3 months or so that my hair is growing back quite in large numbers, there are little stubbly type strands growing all around my hairline and expanding every day. Now in these last few months I have been taking stinging nettle pills which are meant to inhibit DHT, so I can't be sure if they helped or it just took time for my body to recover from the b5. Either way I just hope the same happens to others that have suffered from b5 hair loss.

#31 MikeLev

MikeLev

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

bump

#32 xdxdaustin

xdxdaustin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me