Photo

DRY skin after using just water

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2004 - 02:02 PM

i have been using the water method for about a week and a half and my skin is dry, peeling, and tight. problem is it starts dumping a lot of oil out midday to compensate. what am i doing wrong? it was never this dry when i was using cleansers!!

i run my face under shower water twice a day and rub with a washcloth. it has calmed down my skin but the dark marks are reappearing and i'm getting breakouts again...possibly from all the dryness and irritation. should i start using a moisturizer or maybe some jojoba oil?

i'm under the impression that skin needs to be soft and supple to heal more quickly...which could be the cause of the appearance of more dark marks.

#2 Maverick

Maverick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2004 - 02:24 PM

First of all, I wouldn't use a washcloth, that would only add to the irritation. Also, depending on how harsh the cleansers and topicals you were using, it could take a few weeks for your skin to return to normal.

#3 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2004 - 04:33 PM

How much water do you drink everyday?

#4 ~TEPL0~

~TEPL0~

back from the dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2004 - 04:35 PM

I'm sorry I can't help, I don't use meth bb_wink.gif but I can suggest steaming your face; I just read that it's good to do with licorice root to hydrate skin, I'll try it tomorrow.

#5 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:50 PM

previously i had just used Cetaphil for a month and that seemed to help a bit until THAT started to dry my face as well. i didn't think just plain water would completely sap my face of all its natural oils.

well, tonight i went back to Cetaphil and instead of running my face in the shower i just wet it with warm water and used a washcloth to remove loose make-up...then i used Cetaphil and wiped it off...already my skin felt 50% better. it just all these recurrent pimples and all those little bumps you can feel when you wash your face that won't go away. gross huh?

teplo: maybe we should try the meth smile.gif it might be the miracle cure after all

#6 frances

frances

This isn't Kansas, Toto

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:07 PM

water is ph 7 - it will dry out your skin to some extent. First advice they tell people with dry skin conditions is to wash less, and make showers and baths shorter bb_shock.gif Cetaphil has a ph between 5-7 so it won't dry your skin as much. I quite like cetaphil. But you can do better than cetaphil if you find a cleanser with humectants (water binding ingredients like glycerin) close to the top of the ingredient lists also with a better surfactant (detergent agent) than Sodium Lauryl Sulphate.

#7 craig s

craig s

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:24 PM

malia,
sorry to hear about the problems you are having, perhaps you should start using a moisturizer in combination with the water.
I have been using only water and moisturizer on my face now for about 2 weeks nowand it has improved significantly, my skin is a far more even tone, less red and is never itchy or tight like it used to be.
I never used to like moisturizers because my skin has a lot of trouble absorbing it and it would leave a greasy feeling over my skin but now it takes to it alot better. i think that as your oil levels start to normalise they are more exceptable to it.
if you dont like the look of your skin with moisturizer on it during the day just apply it at night and see how good your skin feels in the morning.

My skin also felt tight using water without moisturiser and it was this that sent me crawling back to cleansers but now i know that light washing with water and moisturizer is the key for me.
Also i only use the water out of the bathroom sink, i dont know if the water from the tap and from the shower is different but whenever i quickly rinse my face under the water in the shower it feels so much colder and makes my face feel different?
Who knows.
I also try to moisturize directly after washing my face(ten splashes with water), it seems to absorb better?

hope this helps. smile.gif

#8 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:44 AM

thanks a bunch craig. i did cave in and go back to Cetaphil two days ago. i couldn't take the crackly feeling whenever i touched my forehead. Since Cetaphil acts like a moisturizer i think this might be an ok alternative to using a separate moisturizer. funny thing though, before i started the water method i had used an old bottle of Cetaphil (1-2 years old or so) and it dried out my face so badly. but last night i bought a new bottle and it was thicker and more felt more dense than the old bottle. AND i didn't get the same feeling of taut skin after i wiped it off. something to be said about not keeping products under your bathroom sink for too long!

you might have said this before but how bad was your acne before and what kind of moisturizer are you using?

BenKweller:

i try to drink at least 8 ounces of water a day...it's hard since i run around a hospital all day and don't have time to even get a cup of water. how much did you say you drank per day?

frances:

yeah the sodium lauryl sulfate isn't too promising. i've tried Aquanil and it felt greasier for some reason. and the smell made me gag. any other suggestions?

teplo:

how's the steaming coming along? i am going to buy a lavender herb mix for a steam tonight.

#9 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:36 AM

8 ounces of water a day is definitely not enough. I drink 3 liters (just over 98 ounces). Your body really does need a lot of water to keep itself hydrated and to dilute whatever your kidneys filter out. I found that when I started drinking water (I never drank any when I was a teenager) my acne would stop in its tracks. Try a week where you drink at least 3 liters a day (just divide 1 liter per every 5 hours or so). Get a Nalgene and tote it around the hospital.

Good luck

#10 daveyguy23

daveyguy23

"GOT GOOD DAYS AND U HAVE BAD DAYS"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:52 AM

I drink 4-8 cups of water before i go to bed i think it really helps me

#11 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (daveyguy23 @ Aug 19 2004, 11:39 AM)
I drink 4-8 cups of water before i go to bed i think it really helps me

Damn.. you must do a lot of sleepwalking to the toilet at night smile.gif

#12 coLe

coLe

coLe thoMas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2004 - 12:02 PM

I'm with ben on this, I drink AT LEAST 2 liters a day and on most days I find myself refilling my liter bottles and drinking 4 liters. I've been doing this for quite some time now and I find myself more energetic and my skin actually feels more hydrated when I drink a lot of water. I think this is the cheapest most effective supplement you can take for your body. Screw juices, pops, and coffee give me a nice tall glass of evian. biggrin.gif

coLe

#13 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2004 - 12:47 PM

i will try this. does this mean you eat less because you are full of water? that is definitely something i'd like happen. i tend to overeat though i'm not overweight. but with the entire nation realizing that the portions we eat are outrageous i think this would be benenficial in two ways.

speaking of evian...there's that evian water spray. its ridiculously expensive for what it is...water. but i bought it anyway for the fine spray atomizer and it feels great after a hot day outside or a workout. eventually i will purchase a refillable atomizer...just becuase it feels damn good.

#14 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 19 August 2004 - 01:19 PM

Evian backwards spells...

#15 frances

frances

This isn't Kansas, Toto

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:41 PM

Malia

atm I am using neutrogena extra gentle cleanser and I really like it...but it is very moitusing which suits me cos my skin is naturally dry. For people with oily skin I think the additional moisturisation would be a problem.

suggestions...
basis comfortably clean cleanser looks quite promising
http://www.dermstore....htm?source=biz
http://makeupalley.c...lean_Face_Wash/

basis sensitive skin soap (I am always wary of bar type products)
http://www.drugstore...BUY-PLST-0-SRCH
has spectacular reviews at drugstore and mixed reviews at makeupalley

Oil of Olay Sensitive Skin foaming Cleanser
http://www.drugstore...=BUY-PLST-0-CAT
http://makeupalley.c...Olay/Cleansers/

I read at Living nature (http://www.livingnature.com/aboutyou/healthpuzzles/acne.html) that "A cheap natural alternative to a commercial cleanser is acidolphus yoghurt" I tried it and my skin was as soft as a babies ass. However I found the whole deal of using a cleanser out of the fridge to be unweildly. I have read recently of derms suggesting pateients wash the face with kefir.

hope that helps

#16 Long

Long

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:23 AM

I still find it hard to believe anything could be gentler than washing with just water.
Malia, you should give it another shot. This time don't use the wash cloth and don't let the shower stream over your face for long periods. And also you can cut down on the number of times you wash your face. Don't be afraid of the oil.

#17 Calavera

Calavera

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:01 AM

my really dry skin started when i used this new moisturiser.. could it be that ?

#18 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:21 PM

while i have given up on the water method for awhile i will leave it as one of the techniques to fall back on. i think that the hard water here compounded with the washcloth really did a number on my skin. i have been using a new bottle of Cetaphil for a while and my skin is almost back to softness all around. my forehead still tends to dry out after i wipe the Cetaphil off.

i have this new theory for my skin type. it is oily but the underlying cause of the oil is drying in the upper layers. if the upper layers are pinched off due to dryness the majority of the oil coming from underneath has no where to go and starts to form whiteheads. the more oil i keep stripping the more it is going to clog up. it actually is not a new theory. some make-up lines sell light oils as a form of facewash. this is supposed to, of course, keep your skin hydrated and also dilute the clogged up pore's sebum so that it can be pushed out by the skin. so from now on, i am using coconut oil on one side of my forehead and neutrogena's multi-vitamin acne treatment on the other. natural vs synthetic. i will post results in about another week.

#19 craig s

craig s

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:04 PM

Dear malia,

My skin used to be really really bad a few years back(not cystic though) and i had to go on accutane, but since then my skin has been relatively clear apart from the forehead and portions of skin below my eyes and across my nose. My main concern was that i never really got full on pimples but it was like the whole area was covered in little tiny red and flesh covered bumps( literally hundreds).

i saw some photos of myself after using accutane and remembered only using water at that stage of my life and i came to the conclusion that it was probably all the gunk that i was putting on to my face that was causing this sort of irritation.
The only down side now is that it took my a good four years of over washing my face to realise that i was doing it more damage. mad.gif

Im still pretty happy with the way that things are going at the moment, i know in myself that it looks less red and irritated i just wish that someone else would notice too GRRRRR.

i recently switched from oil of olay moisturizer ( sensitive skin) to nuetrogena oil free moisturiser for combination skin. Nuetrogena is absorbed so much better than olay and i have to use less so thats a plus, however i still feel a little paranoid about the shine factor when i go out side during the day but who cares anymore.

catch ya.

#20 JOHNNY11

JOHNNY11

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:18 AM

water from the faucet contains chloramine and metals to keep the water clean.