#1 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2004 - 03:40 PM

i was looking around for some natural treatments (again) and ran across this:

chick pea mask

i'm thinking of trying this...though my skin is already dry from washing with tap water. when i went back to malaysia to visit years ago an indian lady told me to use ground peanuts to rub all over my face to get rid of acne. i never gave this a second thought since i was into prescriptions and anything that came in a neat tube or bottle. but now that i think about it, if it has worked for them why can't it work for others? btw, when she said peanuts it might have just been a mistranslation.

i'll look for this powder today and see how it works. will keep everyone posted.

just few notable posts from the 9 pages:

I have been suffering from acne for a heck of a long time since the age of 11-19. At first, the acne tended to be minor and spread only on my forehead, I tried every kind of topical ointment, especially that NASTY benzoyl peroxide which reddened and damaged my skin. For a time it curbed the bacteria but just in a couple of months the critters came back with a vengeance even worse than before!
This time I had big red angry pimples filled with pus that resisted any medication recommended by my doctor. I was so desperate that I gambled my health for Accutane. The kick in the jaw was that even the Accutane didn't work and after a couple of weeks I was plagued with minor hair loss (which I'm still battling with today!) terrible headaches, and also horrendous stomach problems where it was found that the lining to my stomach was made so sensitive by Accutane that it had bust! It was a good thing I didn't waste my money buying this treatment as I was offered it on the National Health Service, but still, I can't believe I was stupid enough to gamble my health like that.
This was the final straw. I stopped all sorts of medication and had a time to reflect upon myself. During this time, I (luckily) came into contact with an incredibly gifted herbalist who advised me to use chickpea flour mixed with water until it was the same consistency as tomato puree. He told me to apply this in a thin layer before bedtime and promised me that I would be free of acne after the duration of this treatment. You have to realise that my acne was the severe type, with red raging boils and cysts and I was pretty unsure and skeptical that something like chickpea paste could cure me! How could this eastern herbal medicine cure my acne when even the technologically advanced western world was lagging behind in a cure for acne? Most of all, knowing this, why were acne sufferers paying such vast amounts of money on chemicals and pills in favour of herbal remedies designed not to damage the skin? Moreover,Why had this chickpea paste not been advertised as the cure for acne when it was supposedly deemed THE best way to treat acne? I was incredibly suspicious. But what did I have to lose? nothing. It is a natural homemade remedy and I'm sure it CANT be more dangerous than the lethal Accutane. So I got on with it. The first time I tried this I was surprised by the fact that when it dried it hardened on my face to such an extent I couldn't yawn, but to me the sacrifice was worth it. After a few weeks, the acne had subsided to such an extent that only the boils and cysts were left. After a couple more weeks, even the cysts were being filtered of the pus and bacterial discharge in my skin.! I was thrilled. I half expected the same cysts to come back in the same place but one area which has been bothering me for years hasnt suggested even a notion of a cyst. To be on the safe side I continued using this paste for another month and two months ago I stopped. I don't have a single pimple on my face, the paste has normalised my face from excessive sebum oil production my face is MUCH clearer from whiteheads and blackheads and now I am going to treat the marks with a freshly grounded saffron paste.

I think the anti bacterial properties of the chickpea flour paste was the winner in all this but I never could have guessed that something so trivial could have helped to cure an acne condition which was bordering almost ten sour soulful years.

I am so happy with the results that I decided I ought to help out you guys who also suffer from acne because I know what it feels like to be considered inferior as a result of skin condition. I challenge you guys to try this recipe and give it two months at the max in which time you will see a heck lot of an improvement which isnt even on par with the medication given by western doctors. If it doesn't work for you, then at least you won't have damaged your skin with harsh chemicals!

hi , u ppl can use chickpea powder mixed with powder milk , rose water ,turmeric and some 2-3 drops of almond oil .this really works really well for me as i've got dry skin.

i was searching for a recipe using chickpea flour, and came across this thread.. good to see some old indian know-how is proving useful.

i have some additional suggestions:

instead of using tea tree oil, as many are, try using sandalwood oil instead..just around 2-3 drops per mask. it's much more expensive than tea tree, but far more effective & specific, and 5ml will last for months.

sandalwood is used traditionally to soothe inflammation & reduce itching, being the main component of indian powders used to treat 'prickly heat' or 'heat rash' .. also, it smells divine, and has been used for millenia to enhance meditation.

i always found that even tea tree oil was too harsh for my sensitive skin. unlike tea tree, sandalwood oil will not dry the skin.

i've noticed some australians here - australian sandalwood oil is cheaper, but just as good, if not better for acne. this oil is used in a commercial preparation known as Skin Free which is sold on late night informercials.

my other suggestion, is instead of using just water to make up the paste, use 1 teaspoon (or more) of rosewater. this also is very cooling, reducing redness, inflammation & itching. also, its aroma is very pleasant to most people.

try this on your skin separately for the first time..you can wash your hands well, then pour a little in one palm, clap the palms together and wipe/dab it over the face, or you can apply it with those hypoallergenic cotton wipes. see how cooling & refreshing it feels on your skin. you can use this as a very natural, gentle toner after applying the mask.

i have some other ideas people may find useful, but as this is my first post, i'll leave them for another time, if anyone's interested .. all feedback appreciated

good luck
adam

rather than using almond oil (save that for later when moisturising), use yogurt in the paste, as already suggested. this provides fats for ppl with dry skin, but it is also slightly astringent.
just a thought..but good to know you've found something that works well for you

I think you are supposed to grind up the chickpeas and then spread it on as a face mask. You could get them raw, grind them up into a sort of powder, add water to make a paste and then add a few drops each of Tea Tree Oil, Lavender Oil, and Chamomile Oil. I prefer Oatmeal masks myself. If your skin is overly sensitive or dry, try using a few drops of Emu Oil. Emu Oil is an incredible moisturizer, but a little goes a long way. If your skin is oily then try some French white clay as a mask to take out that oil. Honey is a gentle moisturizer, but I don't reccommend it if you are a diabetic and /or you have topical infections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users