Photo

Drinking black strap molasses

calcium magnesium selenium

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

Blackstrap molasses is reputedly the second most nutrient dense sugar in the world (first is date sugar). It is a great source of iron for women and is high in manganese, copper, calcium, potassium, magnesium, B6 and selenium.

However, the taste of black strap molasses is so strong it is hard to find a way to include it in meals. rolleyes.gif

I finally read that the easiest way to eat it is by mixing one tablespoon of blackstrap with 1 very warm glass of water.

I just drank my glass and realized this was EASY. It does not taste bad at all - in fact, I could grow to enjoy it.

It would also be good with a nut milk, I think.

Nutrition of black strap molasses:
(this is for 2 teaspoons - imagine drinking an entire tablespoon!)
http://www.whfoods.c...tname=foodspice

Edited by Dotty1, 09 January 2011 - 12:49 PM.

#2 greentiger87

greentiger87

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Jan 8 2011, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blackstrap molasses is reputedly the second most nutrient dense sugar in the world (first is date sugar). It is a great source of iron for women and is high in manganese, copper, calcium, potassium, magnesium, B6 and selenium.

However, the taste of black strap molasses is so strong it is hard to find a way to include it in meals. rolleyes.gif

I finally read that the easiest way to eat it is by mixing one tablespoon of blackstrap with 1 very warm glass of water.

I just drank my glass and realized this was EASY. It does not taste bad at all - in fact, I could grow to enjoy it.

It would also be good with a nut milk, I think.

Nutrition of black strap molasses:
(this is for 2 teaspoons - imagine drinking an entire tablespoon!)
http://www.whfoods.c...tname=foodspice

There's some concern that using it as a source for those minerals is unwise, because many of them compete with each other. The iron, for example, is unlikely to be absorbed because it's non-heme and absorption is further inhibited by calcium.

Further, why drink something high in sugar if you're not going to use it as a sweetener? I don't think its worth it for nutrients alone... there are much better, low sugar sources. I sometimes use it in smoothies, when i feel like having some extra sweetness. It tastes like regular molasses, but with a strong licorice aftertaste.

Edited by greentiger87, 08 January 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#3 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

Oh god. Watching Dotty try and figure this whole thing out is like watching train after train drive off the same cliff. Blackstrap molasses is not food.

SUGAR = BAD. It SPIKES HORMONES AND THAT LEADS TO ACNE.

#4 greentiger87

greentiger87

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (uncle buck @ Jan 8 2011, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh god. Watching Dotty try and figure this whole thing out is like watching train after train drive off the same cliff. Blackstrap molasses is not food.

SUGAR = BAD. It SPIKES HORMONES AND THAT LEADS TO ACNE.

Charmingly put. eusa_eh.gif

#5 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:14 PM

It's been going on far too long.

#6 OmegaisJaded

OmegaisJaded

Pokemon Queen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

Sounds yummy. I might look up some recipes later.

Everything in moderation..I don't believe the occasional dessert sweetened up with molasses will do any harm.

Maybe to use with ham in place of honey...or beans!

#7 greentiger87

greentiger87

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

Sigh, true.. but he's trying. And at the going rate, 20 years from now, we'll all be looking back and thinking about how backwards current nutritional science is.

#8 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Yeah I'd honestly say that is a very unwise thing to do. Drinking sugar? really? Any sugar/sweetener should be used AS LESS AS POSSIBLE.

I only use pure maple syrup and stevia. And those I only use in my cookie recipe.

#9 greentiger87

greentiger87

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:42 PM

ZOMG I only discovered real maple syrup about a year ago. I was in heaven. Still use some on my last bite of paleo pancakes smile.gif

#10 Guest_fugleee_dumbBUNNY_*

Guest_fugleee_dumbBUNNY_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

soo..
molasses or honey or stevia or maple syrup? which is the best? @_@

#11 greentiger87

greentiger87

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (fugleee_dumbBUNNY @ Jan 8 2011, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
soo..
molasses or honey or stevia or maple syrup? which is the best? @_@

Stevia has no effect on blood sugar whatsoever, and no apparent side effects. Steviosides haven't been researched that closely, though. They have an aftertaste that makes me wanna barf... apparently it doesn't bother TheHoper.

The others are still sugar, so pick your poison. Each of them have a unique flavor and their own pro's and con's, I use all three at different times.

The safest bet is to use none of them though.

#12 Guest_fugleee_dumbBUNNY_*

Guest_fugleee_dumbBUNNY_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

damn why must sugar be so forbidden -_- and if its so bad and everything why human crave it so much then? o__O well i understand that addiction grows bigger and bigger with time but still

fe u cant imagine what huuge sweet tooth i once was ppl (and still am, at least at heart rolleyes.gif) i could eat raw white sugar with spooonz, eat whole pot of honey in one day and basically live off of only sugar sugar sugaarr and sweets, and even when ill eliminate all the sugar from my diet ill still be loving sweets forever i swear! oompf.gif

anywayz, well at least fruit is fine right? i kno moderation etc, but like 1 fruit per day? cmon now -_-

Edited by fugleee_dumbBUNNY, 08 January 2011 - 05:48 PM.

#13 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:37 PM

Pure maple syrup is the best out of all. Either that or Manuka Honey. Manuka honey is crazy expensive to eat though, so I'd go pure maple syrup, which is still pricey.

And I don't even taste an after taste for stevia, so yeah doesn't bother me, it's really great for baking.

^^And fruit is all up to you. ME personally I just eat blueberries. They are the highest anti-oxidant fruit, and lowest in fructose. Not to mention I love them.

If fruit didn't give me any problems I'd be eating 10 bananas a day and a bowl of strawberries. But for me all fruits give me problems but blueberries. I only have a handful of those in my oatmeal too. An entire cup is only 10g of sugar, and I have like 1/8 cup in my oatmeal, so 1 or 2 grams of sugar..

#14 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:24 AM

Actually, there was a mix up. On certain websites, it stated that black strap molasses is very low GI. Then later I found that it has a GI like that of sugar.

Oh, and I drank it trying to get some iron. I am Celiac, so I cannot take most iron supplements due to contamination. I was waiting for some pumpkin seeds to soak so that I could eat them (a great source of iron) and in the mean time I thought I would try a tablespoon of molasses for the iron (not thinking about the calcium competition).

And I do not believe there is anything wrong with drinking it once or twice if looking for extra nutrients. Honey is NOT high in potassium, magnesium, copper and other nutrients. Honey is excellent for its antimicrobial, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, but I did not need them at the moment, LOL.

And I just found a healthy way to *splurge* and have hot cocoa for special occasions. All I need to do is add cocoa powder and some thick almond milk to this molasses beverage and I shall have a great hot cocoa.

Edited by Dotty1, 09 January 2011 - 09:25 AM.

#15 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

Dotty, I have seen you go through tons of experiments. You've tried tons of things for your skin. But Ive never heard your condition. How bad is your acne? Where are your problem spots? What source or experiment did the greatest for your skin?

#16 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

My skin has been terribly bad for about ten years. I would exfoliate and all the dead flaky skin would return the next day (dandruff of the face!). The smallest blackheads would cause infections the size of 1-2 marbles. I would have about 17 active infections at once (and they were quite painful) and about 2000 blackheads. If I emptied the blackheads, all of them would reappear 3 days later.

To confuse things, I began to notice that I had very bad canker sores that would flare up with my acne. Sometimes 17 canker sores at once. Also, two old tick bites in my scalp that I got as a 4-year-old would swell and begin to ooze.

After years of experiments, I found that any source of protein caused the infections on my face and my canker sores. Red meat and soy and all legumes was the worst offenders. Doctors were baffled (and 100% unhelpful), so I stopped eating all traditional sources of protein for 2 years (no meat, eggs, dairy, soy, legumes, nuts, seeds, etc). Skin became beautiful. Finally, someone on this message board told me to take HCl with protein because my stomach acid was weak. It worked (I can now eat protein if I take pills). Then my skin began to get bad again but no where as bad as it was. This time it was becoming bad on mangos and tomatoes. I then took vitamin D and found I can now eat mangos again.

I discovered I was Celiac (helped my skin 5%), but had already developed hypothyroidism because of undiagnosed Celiac. Discovered I was soy sensitive. I am still waiting for my apointment with the endocrynologist (2 more months - lovely!).

The hypothyroidism makes me incredibly sleepy so it is hard to research. So now I am avoiding goitrogenic foods to stay awake until my endocrinologist appointment. But my skin is a lot better after taking Vitamin A, Zinc, Selenium, D3. So there is some progress.
My health is a mess, my acne is better but who knows.

I am trying to do the Paleo Diet now and there has been improvement.

Edited by Dotty1, 09 January 2011 - 01:24 PM.

#17 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

Wow that's crazy. I've had it bad, but it sounds like your case was a lot worse. I really wish ya the best, this disease is crazy tough. I'm definitely allergic to soy as well, soy breaks me out within 24 hours.

#18 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (Thehoper @ Jan 9 2011, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow that's crazy. I've had it bad, but it sounds like your case was a lot worse. I really wish ya the best, this disease is crazy tough. I'm definitely allergic to soy as well, soy breaks me out within 24 hours.

Yes, that is how it was with protein. Within four hours of touching even a pea-sized amount of soy or beans or meat, I would notice that my tiny zits would itch and tingle. My lips would become itchy too. By the next morning, the spots were full of pus, inflamed and painful. The canker sores would be in full swing.

#19 greentiger87

greentiger87

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

Like I was talking about above, I really don't think blackstrap molasses is a reliable source of iron, despite being commonly advised. Greens/nuts with a source of vitamin c is a much better plan. Soaked or fermented legumes, or better yet - sprouts, are an even better source. I take a vegan iron supplement, but I'm not sure how careful they are about contamination with common allergens. It also includes Betaine HCl and phytase.

Edited by greentiger87, 09 January 2011 - 02:40 PM.

#20 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Jan 9 2011, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, there was a mix up. On certain websites, it stated that black strap molasses is very low GI. Then later I found that it has a GI like that of sugar.....

Because it is sugar.

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Jan 9 2011, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I do not believe there is anything wrong with drinking it once or twice if looking for extra nutrients. Honey is NOT high in potassium, magnesium, copper and other nutrients. Honey is excellent for its antimicrobial, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, but I did not need them at the moment, LOL.

And I just found a healthy way to *splurge* and have hot cocoa for special occasions. All I need to do is add cocoa powder and some thick almond milk to this molasses beverage and I shall have a great hot cocoa.

Then at least drink your sugar with a meal of fiber, fat and protein to lower the glycemic impact!