Photo

Post your shopping lists

garlic ginger green tea gluten

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

Be sure to visit the  Food and Recipe thread index

Edit: I think it would be handy to have other people's shopping lists in one thread so that others may find some good ideas. So i've changed the title from being my list to hopefully everyone's lists.

--------------------------------------
Since everyone else is doing it. And this is off the top of my head. I'll come back and organize it. I meant to name mostly staples that make up the bulk of my diet, but have listed stuff as i thought of it.

So, first of all, my diet is not strict. I don't count or calculate anything and don't completely avoid anything unless I am intolerant to it with a noticeable reaction. I just eat mostly real, whole nutrient dense foods, more anti-inflammatory than inflammatory. Keep all meals/drinks/snacks low to moderate GL. Other than completely avoiding the food that causes me to break out in cysts the next day, the only thing I'm strict about is never drinking sugar.

Because other than in the case of food intolerances, it's the habitual consumption of 'bad' foods that breaks you out, not the occasional consumption of a little bit of sugar, wheat, etc. in a diet of quality food.

It's also important to note I am not intolerant to dairy, wheat/gluten or any grains. I just limit them because they should not be a big part of anyone's diet. The positives don't outweigh the negatives. If you are intolerant to them, my lists won't do you much good. I also don't eat much meat. I don't care enough for it to pay for healthy, humane, pastured beef/pork etc.

I eat properly prepared legumes because they make dirt cheap meals that I like very much and allow me to save money to spend on wild salmon, organic produce, free range eggs, etc.

From Whole Foods (I go about once every three weeks):

-Sunflower seeds because they are cheap and protein/nutrient dense and i love them sprinkled on foods. I would be recommending pumpkin seeds instead, but they cost twice as much. They are better, nutrition-wise and flavor, but not that much better.
-Dried Zante currants - the cheapest and lowest sugared dried fruit they have. To add to oats or other grain I sometimes have for breakfast. Or to coconut pancakes, homemade 'energy' bars, etc.
-Giant Peruvian lima beans - because they are delicious, one of the best potato substitutes. I soak and then cook them with lots of onion, garlic and add greens near the end of cooking.
-Lentils- Cook with curry spices, sweet potatoes, etc for a great 'stew'
-Dried unsweetened coconut - For use in place of flour in pancakes and other baking. To add to oats or other whole grain eaten for breakfast.
-Eggs - but I usually get them from the Farmer's market or an acquaintance with chickens.
-Organic milk - which I use to make yogurt. Which is used primarily as a condiment.
-Organic cabbage and some other greens I don't find organic elsewhere. Greens should be organic.
-Frozen wild salmon fillets and bags of wild caught shrimp.
-Sprouted Grain bread which I keep in the freezer and only use occasionally. Or make a big batch of French toast (my favorite) to keep in the freezer to eat occasionally. I buy Alvarado St. Bakery bread.
-Frozen organic spinach and/or collard greens. - great to keep on hand throw into soup, legumes, curry...
-Organic apples, peaches or nectarines when in season/reasonably priced.
--Olive oil from California - because I find it really suspicious that all the oil from our supermarkets claims to be from Italy. Where is all the Spanish, Greek, Turkish, etc oil? Besides, it's a good deal and why buy it from another hemisphere. They grow olives in Mexico too.
Cacao nibs
-chicken thighs or sausage - Occasionally, but at my Whole foods, they only have 'barn roaming' chicken. No pastured chicken. Hopefully, they are healthy enough to actually do some roaming...

-Other dried legume or grain (occasionally) like brown basmati rice, quinoa, black beans, garbanzos, barley, buckwheat. All of which are soaked/sprouted or fermented prior to cooking.
-Almonds and walnuts - fresh fall crop only, if this is the best deal. But I usually find a better source. Stock up and keep in the freezer.

And maybe a slice of their wood oven pizza margherita, if I've otherwise been eating well.

Costco, which I go to whenever I run out of pet food-
Big bag of frozen organic berries
Cat and dog food
-Kirkland brand of canned salmon - packed like tuna. No ick. 6 cans for under $10. I don't really like canned salmon except for making salmon cakes, but this is nice in a 'club' salad in place of ham or bacon which I never buy. I ate these club salads with romaine or spinach and a boiled egg, dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil all summer long.
-A good jarred pasta sauce which they seem to have discontinued lately...
-Parmesan, romano, feta cheese. Because you can keep them for ever while you use small amounts. And just a little bit of strong flavorful cheeses adds lots of flavor.
-I'd get a big bag of frozen salmon fillets here, but I don't have the freezer space. And all their shrimp is farmed so I don't get that there.

Mexican Supermarket (about once a week):
Best source for all kinds of non-organic produce, onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, plantains, bananas, kiwi, avocados, chiles, cilantro, lemons/limes. Mexican tatumi squash aka calabacita which is like zucchini but much better and cheaper.
-Some Mexican cheeses that I use sparingly. Most cheese can be kept in the freezer, btw.
-Hibiscus flowers for tea
-Canned Jack Mackerel - best price other than Walmart which is no where near me. I mostly feed it to my cats, but I eat quite a bit of it. Tastes pretty much like Tuna but a better source of omega 3. Inexpensive, Low mercury, sustainable fish, etc. Cheaper than sardines, salmon.
-Canned Keta Salmon - almost as inexpensive as the mackerel. and they are small whole fish, not a can of ick, like most canned salmon. I use it to make salmon patties.
-Bulk mint (yerba buena) and camomile teas.
-Goya frozen fruit pulp for smoothies and such (black berry and mango!)
-Mexican/ethnic herbs, spices and dried chiles.
-Seafood -
-Mexican cheeses/dairy like Cotija which is a stongly flavored, dry crumbly cheese. It keeps for ever without molding because it's dry. Because it's flavorful you only use a little bit. Freezes well. Tastes somewhere between feta and romano. Queso Fresco is like feta but milder. Crema is a fermented product, pretty much the same thing as French creme Fraiche, but cheaper.

Asian supermarket: (rare visit)
Organic mushrooms of all kinds from California
Dried shitake mushrooms from Japan or other country I perceive as trustworthy.
Lemon grass, but I put the last stalks I bought into a pot and they grew. So don't need to buy it.
Powdered coconut milk. If they have the brand without any additives. I use it like a non-dairy creamer in my cocoa. They also have coconut cream in small packets that you are meant to dilute with water to make milk. Cheaper than a can of coconut milk and good to keep on hand for cooking.

I've considered buy fresh or frozen whole mackerel or sardines, but usually chicken out. I haven't gotten the hang of whole fish yet and am sticking with the trout I can buy by the pound in my supermarket when it's on sale.

Regular supermarket or where ever I find a good deal (sometimes once a week)
-Organic lemons - for when I'm going to use the zest or whole lemon and I didn't get them from my sister's tree.
-Celestial seasonings tea - I use their Sleepytime and one other flavored green tea I really like
-Hershey's Special Dark cocoa - blend of dutch processed which dissolves and tastes better, and natural cocoa which has more antioxidants.
-Ghirradelli's Bittersweet Chocolate chips - best tasting and low sugar dark chocolate.
-Organic greens, apples and berries if they are a good deal and when not in the farmer's market and I can't pick my own as in the case of blackberries which are weeds everywhere. Look for the small apples in the bag. Usually the cheapest and you want small apples. Just make sure that they aren't starting to spoil, something that seems to happen a lot in these bags.
-Sweet potatoes- I eat almost one a day, for breakfast, quick, portable lunch, sweet potato curry, etc. Bake and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, spicy seasoned salt, olive oil and sunflower seeds.
-Bananas - because I don't like very ripe bananas, so I only buy a few small ones at a time.
-Fresh ginger for stir fry and drinks.
-Pomegranates in season which was apparently early this year and over now. I've only found them one place lately.
-Wild Salmon or trout. If it's on sale. But these are usually previously frozen so you need to cook them that day or the next. Keep on ice. Most markets will steam cook it for you while you shop, btw.

Farmer's market: (every couple of weeks, but that depends on the season)
-Eggs
-Whatever produce is in season. Most is organic and expensive.
-Someday I may buy chicken, gulf shrimp, goat milk for my yogurt making, etc from the local vendors there.

Farmer's Market that really isn't. This may be unique to Houston or maybe you have something like it near you. It's been there for decades. They call it a farmer's market, but it's really stuff trucked up from the Rio Grande valley or Mexico.
Cheap produce but little is organic. Local honey and similar products, bulk herbs/spices/teas/legumes. Nuts and seeds. Mexican veggies, legumes, herbs and teas. Vegetable and herb plants.

When I was a kid my mom belonged to a group that took turns going there buying things by the bushel/flat which was way cheap and divying it up amongst the families.
I just went there yesterday. It's the only place in the city I could find pomegranates which I've been told grow year round in Mexico/central America. Maybe not in big enough quantities to export though. Also, the only place I could find hazelnuts. For my grandmother who couldn't find them where she lived either.

Things not mentioned above because they are:

-Staples I don't need to buy often but always have and use
, like balsamic vinegar, a good mustard, all kinds of spices, coconut oil, etc.

-Try to buy once a year and store properly: Like nuts, and almonds, but I buy a lot of those in the fall when they are the fresh crop and on sale. Store in the freezer. And I get them from where ever I find the best deal, which lately has been my nearest supermarket. They had 1 lb bags of Almonds for under $4 this year. Last year they were under $3. Otherwise, Almonds usually cost around $7/lb at Whole Foods and most other places.

I grow them or get from aquaintances - I grow herbs and try to grow some veggies, but have a lack of sunlight problem. I sometimes get eggs from friends with back yard chickens. And things I get from my sisters hodgepodge of an orchard like meyer lemons, but it's not recovering from the winters we've been having.

And there are other things I only buy in season like peaches or nectarines for grilling or sauteing.
And things I didn't think of because they aren't appealing this time of year, but eat a lot of in summer.

Edited by alternativista, 21 June 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#2 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

How I eat these things:

Spices and fruits
- Used for a lot of things, of course, but the important tip is that when you uses spices you associate with sweet baked goods, you don't actually need the food to be very sweet. Vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, etc will give you the feeling you are eating some sweet food and/or make up for greatly reducing the sugar. I put dried currants or raisins, chopped apple and Cinnamon or Chinese 5-spice powder in my oatmeal or other grain I'm treating like oatmeal. No added sugar needed. Also, lightly sauté apple or peach slices in a little butter or coconut oil and sprinkle with cinnamon for the apples, Chinese 5-spice powder or whatever goes with peaches. It brings out the flavors and natural sugars without dulling the flavor the way the massive amounts of sugar and overcooking that occurs in apple pie. And you won't miss the sugar or pie crust. Sprinkle with some nuts. I rely on a small banana or if I don't have any, a sprinkling of dried currants to balance the tartness in a dish of berries and plain yogurt.

Legumes (other than lentils) soak for at least a day, sometimes long enough to start to sprout. Boil with a lot of garlic and onions and a little salt. I tend to have a pot of legumes or soup on hand at all times so I always have something healthy to eat. I eat them until they are gone, then make something else. And they are a great vehicle for getting your sulfur containing veggies like onions, garlic, kale, spinach, etc.

With the lima's or maybe kidney beans (but I usually stick with the limas for their lower lectin content and deliciousness) I add greens and eat like a soup. Sometimes, when I reheat a serving, I add some chopped fresh tomato. Sometimes I have some parmesan or Mexican Cotija cheese. And sometimes I have red pepper flakes, Italian dried herbs and spicy seasoned salt. Or some combination of the above. So it's not like eating the same flavors meal after meal.

There is an Italian soup of cannelini (white kidney beans), kale and Italian sausage that is delicious. I used to make that a lot, but now I use lima and may or may not add a little Whole Foods chicken Italian sausage. It's one of my few company-ready dishes, depending on the company. My grandmother would eat it.

Black beans are eaten as a side dish, mashed like refried beans, or added to a Mexican style veggie soup. Or black bean soup.

Frozen organic spinach or collards. Add to almost every soup, curry, pot of beans I make. They are high in methionine, btw, which is the amino acid that legumes are limited in. Scramble with eggs. I buy fresh too of course. And for some reason they don't do frozen kale. Collards are a close relative, though, and more tender. Fresh baby spinach can be added after everything is cooked and you turn the fire off. It will wilt in a minute. Other greens need a few minutes of cooking.

Lentils are soaked and cooked with sweet potatoes, greens, curry spices, onion and garlic of course, etc. Served with a spoonful of yogurt. Or a small amount soaked and boiled with onion and garlic, the veggies and more broth added for a soup.

Yogurt - mostly a condiment. Add to soup to make it a 'creamed soup', use in recipes calling for milk. Top berries, plantains, all kinds of spicy foods... Make an Indian lhassi (spelling?) type drink by thinning with hibiscus tea or my ginger, lemon cucumber drink. See the drink recipe thread.

Dried coconut - make pancakes, add to my breakfast grains. Mix into melted dark low sugar chocolate. Make oatmeal cookies. I'm planning on experimenting with making brownies...

Sweet potatoes - What don't I do with sweet potatoes. Love sweet potatoes. Bake and sprinkle with cinnamon or spicy seasoned salt and herbs and olive oil. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds for protein. And have for breakfast, lunch, etc. The spicy version is a great combo with my cup of morning cocoa. A great example of when sweet and spicy go well together. Either bake several when you have the oven going, or you can microwave one when you need something quick.

Canned fish - I make salmon patties with canned salmon and use the mackerel like tuna, which it pretty much tastes like. Make Tacos Gobernador with it, usually made with shrimp. I'll find a link to the Mexican Made Easy Foodnetwork TV show recipe. I haven't done it in a while, but I used to make a version of the Spanish Empanadas de Atun (tuna empanadas, a tuna and tomato pie) using slices of potatoes for the crust. But they have to be the starchy potatoes to work which I usually don't have. I always have an open can because I give it to my cats, so it's always available to use or even just to have a bit or two if I worry that i didn't have enough protein that day.

Sprouted Grain Bread - keep in freezer and have only occasionally. I make French toast which is one of my favorite foods. My French toast is not sweet, the eggs aren't thinned with milk and there's nearly one egg per slice. I occasionally have like an open-faced tuna melt with my canned mackerel and a little cheddar cheese which I slice and keep in the freezer. A great fast, no mess meal when I don't have anything prepared and don't feel like cooking.

Jarred Tomato pasta sauce - I half fill a mug with the sauce, add some greens, usually thawed frozen spinach or collards, and then thin with boiling water for a tomato soup. Drizzle on some olive oil, maybe a little parmesan for a treat or maybe a spoonful of yogurt to make a 'cream' of tomato soup, maybe with a little of my canned jack mackerel to make it like the Whole Food's version of Cioppino a classic Italian-style tomato and seafood soup from San Francisco. I go through periods where I do this daily to get my lycopene. Another great, quick no mess meal/snack. Also sometimes make a pizza on a small pita.

I would rather make my own sauce/soup from canned tomatoes, but you want to limit your use of them. The acidy tomatoes are really bad for leaching out the hormone disrupting BPA from the can lining. I used to be really good at making tomato sauce/soup... I still use canned whole tomatoes once in a while in soup, since other than canned fish and coconut milk, I avoid all other canned foods so I'm way ahead of most people. Drain all liquid. I think you get less BPA that way.

Whole grains and grain-like seeds: I mostly have only for a breakfast cereal. I can't help liking a somewhat sweet carby thing for breakfast. In summer I make quinoa tabouleh when it's too hot to eat a hot meal. Quinoa is soaked for a few hours until sprouted and cooked with a little salt and lemon zest. That way it can be used as anything 'sweet' or savory. Steel cut oats, barley, brown basmati rice is soaked/fermented overnight or longer (see rice fermenting instructions) then cooked with Chinese 5 spice powder and/or cinnamon, coconut, currants or raisins, apple, etc. Then eaten sprinkled with nuts. Rice is for some reason really good with banana and all last summer I was addicted to that for breakfast.

Plantains- I buy them when they are still mostly yellow, which is unripe, because you can't see the bruises when they are black, which is when they are ripe and ready to use. Put in a paper bag until ready. Fry in butter or coconut oil and have with a little yogurt for breakfast. But careful, they burn easily. Or boil or steam. Cut off ends and into a couple of chunks and boil or steam skin on. I don't know why, that just the instructions I have. Eat a chunk for breakfast, or use as a 'dough' for empanadas. I used the 'dough' to imitate a Mexican bakery thing that involves walnuts, cinnamon and sugar inside a pie crust. It's tasty, but my recipe isn't ready for prime time. There's a recipe in the better breads and bread substitute thread.

Note: in between the pots of soups and legumes I eat things like poached salmon and broccoli.

Another note: Rule of thumb in my diet: always be soaking something to cook tomorrow.

Another note: eat a lot of sources of glyconutrients as they bind up the lectins in seeds so they do you no/less harm. Combined with proper soaking/sprouting/fermenting and cooking, I think that the positives (nutrients and cheap cost) outweighs the negatives. See the Zag enzyme thread for more info on these glyconutrients aka 8 essential sugars, most of which will be in pages 4-6.

Edited by alternativista, 04 March 2011 - 09:58 AM.

#3 Claudius

Claudius

I said excuse me you're a hell of a guy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

i admire you greatly for being able to stick to that diet. tongue.gif

#4 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

Great diet. Cool to see this topic from ya. When I get some spare cash I'm going to be buying some Cacao off amazon. You can get a 5lb bag for 25 bucks free shipping. Where do you get yours from? I've checked many places and can't find any.

And you really believe all greens should be organic? That scares me a bit. Can you explain to me why? I never buy any of my greens organic.

#5 Drizzler

Drizzler

Man of the Mountains

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (Claudio @ Jan 7 2011, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a rather odd thing to say... it's pretty extensive list of awesome foods, not even a diet at all really.

Good on you AV, this is the mentality people really need to adapt. Funny how you say "since everyone else is doing it"- I have been planning a post similar to this one, a "drizzler's day of eating" redux, if you will haha.

On another note, I was looking through all my old posts- saw this one. Crazy to think how far I've come just in two years, and how much my mentality has shifted in regards to health, nutrition, acne etc. Keep workin' your mojo lady!

#6 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (Thehoper @ Jan 7 2011, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great diet. Cool to see this topic from ya. When I get some spare cash I'm going to be buying some Cacao off amazon. You can get a 5lb bag for 25 bucks free shipping. Where do you get yours from? I've checked many places and can't find any.

And you really believe all greens should be organic? That scares me a bit. Can you explain to me why? I never buy any of my greens organic.

Because their broad surfaces get exposed to a lot of pesticides. And they use a lot of pesticides on them to keep them 'pretty.'

Right now I only get Hershey's cocoa, Ghiradelli's chocolate chips and Whole Foods cacao nibs. I've thought of looking for better sources, fair trade and all that. I have ex-inlaws that go back and forth in to Honduras that could get cacao in their more basic forms for me. But I don't see them much anymore.

#7 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Ah thanks. Damn. Organic veggies are so much more money haha. What about frozen veggies? Those too organic? Don't know if I have seen organic frozen veggies in my supermarkets.

#8 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Claudio @ Jan 7 2011, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It takes no effort.

QUOTE (Drizzler @ Jan 7 2011, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good on you AV, this is the mentality people really need to adapt. Funny how you say "since everyone else is doing it"- I have been planning a post similar to this one, a "drizzler's day of eating" redux, if you will haha.

On another note, I was looking through all my old posts- saw this one. Crazy to think how far I've come just in two years, and how much my mentality has shifted in regards to health, nutrition, acne etc. Keep workin' your mojo lady!

You should keep up your older post.

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (Thehoper @ Jan 7 2011, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah thanks. Damn. Organic veggies are so much more money haha. What about frozen veggies? Those too organic? Don't know if I have seen organic frozen veggies in my supermarkets.

Whole foods is the only place I've seen organic frozen greens. The supermarkets really aren't doing a good job stocking organic options of foods that really should be organic. Organic bell peppers, peaches and nectarines are some examples that are hard to get.

Edit: Safeway Organics has frozen organic spinach and other veggies so if you have a Safeway affiliated store near you that's an option. Here we have Randall's and in California there's Thom Thumb.

Edited by alternativista, 20 May 2011 - 01:34 PM.

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

I changed the title from my list to a request for everyone's lists. I'm sure many people have some good tips.

#11 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:32 AM

My shopping list is very short because I am on a restricted diet trying to sort out which gluten-free foods are causing gluten-like symptoms in my body and my hypothyroid medication has not really kicked in yet so I am also avoiding goitrogens for a few more weeks.

- Shitaki mushrooms
- Grape balsamic vinegar
- Garlic
- Lemon
- Raw cashews

These five foods make a wonderful "mushrooms in gravy" - sauteed mushrooms with balsamic vinegar, oregano, garlic and pepper in a cashew cream sauce with almond flour as a thickener.

- Bag of apples
- Zucchini
- A purple colored lettuce
- Avocados
- Brown rice
- Raw almonds
- Raw pumpkin seeds
- Raw brasil nuts
- Sesame snaps as a treat

The rest of these I eat as whenever.

Edited by Dotty1, 24 February 2011 - 10:35 AM.

#12 tdot

tdot

Meow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

I'm on a low GI diet.... mostly grain free.

- BUTTER (organic grass fed unsalted)
-Avocados
-Tomatoes
-Sprouted sunflower seeds
-Celtic sea salt
- Walnuts (only eat them soaked)
- FREE FROM chicken thighs (free from injetced hormones and antibiotics, it's the Superstore brand).
-Free From steak
-free From pork ribs
-Free From roasts
-Free From whole chicken
- Free range eggs
-Sweet potatoe
-Brown rice (soak for 6 hours before cooking) RARELY
-Spelt sourdough sugar free yeast free organic bread RARELY
- Brown rice pasta (soak for a few hours before cooking) RARELY
- FISH all kinds
- Shrimp
- Cumcumbers (FAVE)
- lots of fresh herbs and spices
- Lemons (make my own lemonade with half a lemon squeezed into water and stevia)
- Limes
-Zuccini
- Broccoli
-Spinach
-Kale
- OLIVE OIL
- COCONUT OIL (use this for everything, cooking, body lotion, "personal lubricant wink.gif", deodorant (mix baking soda with coconut oil and then let it harden in the fridge)... it's safe to put anywhere on your body, just dont get it in your eyes haha.

This is what a big shopping trip looks like for me smile.gif.

Edited by tdot, 24 February 2011 - 11:41 AM.

#13 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

organic, free range (truly) chicken thighs and eggs
organic pasture butter
org. broccoli
org. cauliflower
org. avacado
vine on, local tomatoes (hot house)
org. flax seed
org. brown puffed rice
wild rice
org. carrots
org. onion
org. shallots
org. coconut oil & milk
org. winter squash
org. sweet potatoes
wild, pole fished tuna
wild alaskan salmon (canned)
veganaisse, grape seed oil variety, fuck off, I love it razz.gif

#14 jamesr

jamesr

Dr. Pepper

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

CHICKEN
WATER
Non fat milk ( I love it!)
Original rolled oatmeal
Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwiches on 100% Wheat Bread
TONS of BONELESS chicken BREASTS biggrin.gif
Egg Whites
CHICKEN
WATER
Plenty of vegetables. Broccoli, Lettuce, Peas, Green Beans, Cauliflower and Carrots
Salads (No dressing, just a sprinkle of salt and lemon juice)
Occasional KING TACO (here in L.A.)
CHICKEN
WATER
Gatorade, protein shakes and pre-workout supplement such as 1.M.R (The Best)
Bananas, Plums, Peaches,Oranges, Apples and blackberries.
Red meat once a week
CHICKEN
WATER
Brown rice
Salmon once a week
AND a Kit Kat once a month banana.gif

#15 jen0489x

jen0489x

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:45 AM

Bananas
Water
Hummus
Green olives
Baby carrots
Spinach
Frozen berries (Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries)
100% fruit juices
Frozen broccoli
Tomatoes
Frozen brussel sprouts
Sugar-snap peas
Flax seeds
Avacado
Parlsey
Red cabbage
Frozen variety vegetables
Almond Milk
Eggplant
Coconut milk
Tomato puree
Green peppers
Onions
Garlic
Asparagus
Tahini
Lentils
Cucumbers

#16 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

Just for fun I'll do this since I need to think about my grocery list anyway....

(Produce, All organic)

1)avocados
2)kale
3)collard greens
4)pineapple
5)blueberries
6)carrots
7)portabella mushrooms
8)medjool dates
9)bananas
10)tomatoes
11)garlic
12)onion
13)green leaf lettuce

(heavier proteins)

1)cage free eggs
2)free range bison meat
3)organic chicken
4)black beans

(other stuff)

1)Organic coffee

The last one is more for my partner than me. But I like to have it on hand.

#17 Green_kokeshi_ninja

Green_kokeshi_ninja

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

This is a good idea; here's mine! (I don't get all of these things every week, but this is what I get if I can, as I'm just a young teen who shops with her parents!)

-Farmer's Porridge- (Oats, other random grains, raisins, pieces of raw nuts and apricots. No added oil or sugar which is why I get it!)

-Grapefruits

-Sprouted Bread

-Salmon (when I can persuade my mom to get it biggrin.gif)

-Asparagus

-Trader Joe's Eggplant Hummus

-Cucumbers (I eat A LOT of cucumbers)

-Raw cashews or walnuts

-Lots of different teas

-Coconut water mix

-Raw spinach

-Banannas

-Ground Turkey patties

-Apples

-Carrots

-Baby Bok Choy

-In-Season fruits such as Strawberries, Grapes, Watermelon, etc.

-Honey

-Spinach

-Boneless White Chicken Breast Strips

#18 epicdermis

epicdermis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

I don't have a full shopping list... mostly because I don't have time to cook food. So far, this is what I've added to my old list--I know it needs work.

Breakfast:
- Granola w/ pumpkin seeds, flax seeds

I like this because it starts off my day with a good amount of dietary fiber and magnesium, and it takes two seconds to prepare. I add dried fruits (usually raisins) and rice milk.

- Bananas
- Fruit juice
- Occasionally free-range eggs

Snack:
- Dried fruit (pineapples, mangoes, sun-maid raisins)
- Dry-roasted Almonds

Should I be getting raw as opposed to dry-roasted? Does the roasting destroy any of its nutritional value? I eat about 10-20 of these a day after soaking.

- Dry-roasted Brazil Nuts (I eat 2 a day)
- Clementines
- Fuji Apples
- Garlic Hummus

Still working on the rest. I'm not a huge vegetable person, so I'm still trying to figure out what greens I can get. The one I can tolerate most is broccoli, so I might start eating broccoli with hummus as a snack. I also take a broccoli pill, and eat lots of lentils, but I have a feeling that doesn't count. Things I'm planning to get but have trouble finding: gac fruit, chestnuts, something less sugary to drink.

Edited by epicdermis, 20 May 2011 - 07:17 PM.

#19 Melie87

Melie87

We just need to learn how to balance our skin :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

Almond Milk
Green Vibrance multi vitamin power packets (I don't got time to take all them damn pills people do on here, it's easier to knock it out in my morning smoothie)
Frozen berries/mixed fruit for smoothies
Leafy greens, kale, spinach
Black beans
Coconut oil (for cooking and to eat and to apply to skin)
Organic apple sauce
Peace of Mind
Cliff bars
Tazo Green Tea
Ruby Red Tea
Gluten free bread
Tuna
Sardines
Banana chips for snack
Avocados/tomatoes/onion/etc
No hormone organic meats
eggs from our chickens

And Other things, but you get the idea.

NO DAIRY. NO SUGAR, except in my organic jam 6% and the honey I use in my vinegar water.

Edited by Melie87, 20 May 2011 - 07:53 PM.

#20 Kitten35

Kitten35

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:15 AM

Pears
Apples
Bananas
Grapefruit
Kiwi

Spinach (salad in the bag) Green Mix
Spinach
Kale
Fresh Herbs/spices
Ginger
EVOO
Tomatoes
Sweet potatoes
Other produce as needed for week's recipes--I buy a TON of produce

Whole Wheat bread (Occasionally--I probably go through a loaf every six weeks)
Whole Wheat pasta (no more than once a week is my new rule, but it does make a cheap, fast meal when I'm in a hurry or on my busy night for work)
Organic pasta sauce (usually I make my own, but for said quick meal, sometimes I use organic canned)

No salt added canned tomatoes of all kinds
Organic or reduced sodium beans of all kinds, especially black and kidney
Lentils
Split peas
Tahini or hummus (usually I make my own though)
Quinoa
Nuts, usually walnuts and brazil nuts, and almonds

Feta cheese for salads
Halloumi cheese for a treat (a sheep's cheese from Cyprus--it's grillable!!!) smile.gif
Coconut milk
Organic (only!) Greek yogurt, Chobani or Fage brand (others are too thin)
Soy milk or other milk substitute (rice or almond)

Peanut Butter cookie Lara bars (soy and gluten free), which I keep in my purse in case my blood sugar starts dropping when I am away from the house or I need a snack

OTher things as needed, that's just a sampling