Photo

Depo Provera and acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 MINIac

MINIac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

I was wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with breaking out on Depo Provera. When I got the shot last month, I was given all this information and one of the side effects included was acne/pimples. I addressed it with the nurse practitioner, but she said that she never had anyone complain about it. I hesitantly went ahead with the shot. It has been a month now and my face is suddenly freaking out with huge cystic acne. I had previously been completely clear for about four months on the DKR regimen until recently when I have started breaking out again after several weeks post-shot.

#2 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (MINIac @ Jan 6 2011, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with breaking out on Depo Provera. When I got the shot last month, I was given all this information and one of the side effects included was acne/pimples. I addressed it with the nurse practitioner, but she said that she never had anyone complain about it. I hesitantly went ahead with the shot. It has been a month now and my face is suddenly freaking out with huge cystic acne. I had previously been completely clear for about four months on the DKR regimen until recently when I have started breaking out again after several weeks post-shot.

I was on Depo Provera about 12 years ago and it really changed my skin. I think up until I started getting it I had maybe 2 pimples my entire life and then after I was on it for 2 years my face just constanly was breaking out. I used to get a lot of cystic acne too and even after I got off it my face never got much better until about 2 years ago. I still get breakouts though before my TOM and I use benzaclin every single day. If I were you I would try to find another type of birth control. My face really only got better when I stopped being on any type of hormonal birth control.

Edited by Karen Howz, 11 January 2011 - 09:49 AM.

#3 MINIac

MINIac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:15 AM

I was on Depo Provera about 12 years ago and it really changed my skin. I think up until I started getting it I had maybe 2 pimples my entire life and then after I was on it for 2 years my face just constanly was breaking out. I used to get a lot of cystic acne too and even after I got off it my face never got much better until about 2 years ago. I still get breakouts though before my TOM and I use benzaclin every single day. If I were you I would try to find another type of birth control. My face really only got better when I stopped being on any type of hormonal birth control.

I agree with you that I need to get back on the pill instead I think. I was on it for a little over a year, but I had gotten forgetful in taking it and wished for something that would cause less periods. The pill did nothing to help the acne, but I don't believe it caused it either. Having to go to the county health department, all they offer is the pill or Depo shot. I have liked the no period aspect and not having to take a daily pill, but yeah, a pimple every week now (had a cluster of three on my nose recently) and daily headaches is putting me right off the shot. Thanks for the response. I was beginning to think I was the only one with a problem.

Edited by MINIac, 11 January 2011 - 10:19 AM.

#4 lboogs

lboogs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

I started Depo in October and also started breaking out in October, a few days after receiving the shot actually. I had been 99% clear after finishing my 3rd round of Accutane the previous January. I also had EXTREMELY oily skin which was normal after the Accutane. I got the shot during the week and noticed two tiny pimples on my back that weekend and it's been downhill since then, increase in pimples and oily. I'm not really sure whether to blame the Depo or my extremely stubborn skin. It definitely isn't as bad as it was before the accutane but it's bad enough for me to be concerned. I'm actually going to the derm this week to try spironolactone. I'm definitely staying on the shot though because that's the only bad side effect I've experienced. When I went for my 2nd shot the nurse had to look up the side effects because I was the only one she'd heard of complain of acne. Figures I'd be the one to get it!

#5 MINIac

MINIac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (lboogs @ Jan 12 2011, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I started Depo in October and also started breaking out in October, a few days after receiving the shot actually. I had been 99% clear after finishing my 3rd round of Accutane the previous January. I also had EXTREMELY oily skin which was normal after the Accutane. I got the shot during the week and noticed two tiny pimples on my back that weekend and it's been downhill since then, increase in pimples and oily. I'm not really sure whether to blame the Depo or my extremely stubborn skin. It definitely isn't as bad as it was before the accutane but it's bad enough for me to be concerned. I'm actually going to the derm this week to try spironolactone. I'm definitely staying on the shot though because that's the only bad side effect I've experienced. When I went for my 2nd shot the nurse had to look up the side effects because I was the only one she'd heard of complain of acne. Figures I'd be the one to get it!

You are certainly not the only one. It must be pretty rare or not much of a concern to other patients since the nurse practitioner looked confused when I asked her about it and showed her the paper listing side effects. I just don't know whether to continue on with the shots. The breakouts are not as bad as they were before starting the DKR regimen and products, but they are worse than while I have been on the regimen and products. What is spironalactone?

#6 lboogs

lboogs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:47 AM

I've been on a gazillion birth control pills and none have had any good effect on my skin. I have other issues where it's best for me not to have a period so that's why I'm going to stay on depo and try to work on my skin. Right now it's like I'm picking the lesser of two evils. Spironolactone is actually a med for blood pressure but I believe it's also an androgen blocker, but don't quote me on that. I was put on it once before by an endocrinologist but then had to change doctors and the new one wouldn't let me stay on it so I never really got to try it. It's pretty much the only thing I haven't tried. I think there's a message board regarding spiro on here somewhere that was really helpful for me, so check that out for more info and reviews. I'm gonna try it because the only time my acne clears is when I take something internally.

#7 MINIac

MINIac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for the info! I will have to look into that, definitely! I have been on so many oral medications for acne and the only thing that worked for me was Bactrim. However, I can't spend the rest of my life on antibiotics to try to clear all this up. My dermatologist was trying to get me to ween off of them and I started the DKR products right before I ran out of the Bactrim. My face was clear for about a month being on the Bactrim alone (also used Ziana topically), and then for about three months on the DKR products alone. Then, the shot and breakouts. It is possible that the products are just now failing to work on me, but I doubt that. One can't become immune to benzoyl peroxide. Other than that, I don't do anything differently so that just leaves the Depo. I thought BC pills were supposed to *help* acne. I don't understand.... LOL

#8 Jessicauofw

Jessicauofw

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:58 AM

Side note not involving Depo and acne...........Depo has a number of lawsuits against it for negatively affecting the bone mass in a woman........and decreased bone mass means early Osteoporosis.......a gf of mine was on Depo for 5 years (age 19-24) and lost 18% of her bone density during that time. As far as her skin went, it was perfect. I guess everyone's body responds differently to different pills!

#9 MINIac

MINIac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (Jessicauofw @ Jan 14 2011, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Side note not involving Depo and acne...........Depo has a number of lawsuits against it for negatively affecting the bone mass in a woman........and decreased bone mass means early Osteoporosis.......a gf of mine was on Depo for 5 years (age 19-24) and lost 18% of her bone density during that time. As far as her skin went, it was perfect. I guess everyone's body responds differently to different pills!

I read about the loss of bone mass, but didn't know that it was anything THAT excessive. Wow! Because of the loss of bone mass, when I got the shot, I started taking Citracal every day to hopefully prevent the loss. After reading what you posted, I think that I will start taking it twice a day instead of only once.

At the health department where I got the shot, they said that they only recommend getting the shots for two years and no more. I don't know if they enforce that a woman choose another form of BC after that time, or if they continue to give the shots if she is adamant.

I must go take a Citracal now....

#10 Jessicauofw

Jessicauofw

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

lol ya my friend hated Depo, and then after she realized the loss of bone mass - she freaked out. There are so many other options out there though......I know that Depo is good for girls with irregular periods because after time it stops it. Just becareful smile.gif

#11 MINIac

MINIac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

I got the shot for a number of reasons and it helped with every single one of them (but also created problems of acne and constant headaches). The thing I like most is the end of periods. Actually, it ended mine the very day I got the shot. It has been a little more than a month since I got the shot and I haven't had one yet. It is nice to be able to save money on having to buy all those products. It is a shame that it is so destructive to the bones, though. You would think they would pull it from the market if it causes that much damage in such a short amount of time.

#12 knarfia

knarfia

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

I realize this is an old thread but had to reopen it. Depo is what caused my cystic acne. Up until then my skin was nearly perfect- a few tiny spots here and there, but totatlly normal for a teenager. Depo changed all that. it's been 10 years and so far the only thing that's cleared me has been spiro- but with terrible side effects. I'm still searching for an answer.

#13 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

Stay AWAY from this shot. Yes, it does cause acne in many people. It also often causes MASSIVE weight gain (this is a documented side-effect!!). You won't be loving the fat a year from now!