Photo

real accutane vs. generic accutane... ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#21 dollyapples

dollyapples

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:51 PM

I've been on Amnesteem for 6 months and my skin is wonderfully clear. I haven't had a breakout in months. There's no difference between a brand name product and a generic name. They both have the same ingredients in them. One just came up with the medicine first. smile.gif The only thing that's different is both their names and prices.

I've asked my derm why she prescribed me Amnesteem instead of Accutane and she explained that Amnesteem is the same exact drug, excepts it's at cheaper costs and is covered by insurance. She explained that she would fulfill my wish and prescribe me Accutane if I desired it, and if I also felt like paying about $500 or so dollars out of my pocket, on a monthly basis. I took the Amnesteem. It's the same exact thing. I absolutely love it!

#22 Zoilo

Zoilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE(Duke of Earl @ Sep 20 2006, 05:52 AM) View Post

QUOTE(DanMan1 @ Sep 9 2006, 01:37 AM) View Post

anyone heard of isrotoin? made my cipla india???

any info would be appreciated, thanks

I've recently bought 100 x 20mg Cipla Isotroin capsules via the Internet (mailed from Vanuatu in Melanesia) and I'm beginning to suspect that either (a) it's a very poor relation of Accutane/Roaccutane - or else (b) I've been sold counterfeit capsules which only consist of gel, with no active ingredient.

That's to say, I've been taking them for a week now and am experiencing no classic Accutane/Roaccutane side-effects at all, not even dry lips.

Hard to know what to do. I mean, I can hardly claim against the UK-based online pharmacy who fixed me up with them, if I can't get the drugs analysed and checked for bogusness.

I've been on and off Roaccutane for most of the last nine years, so I know my onions. But how to PROVE it?

(Meanwhile, beware of ordering Cipla Isotroin from websites, I'd say. Stick with the better-known names.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first question would be - have you taken accutane before? The reason for this question is that there is a very wide variation in the side effects people experience and just because you don't have the classic side effects, doesn't mean it's not real isotretinoin. Also, it depends a lot on your weight and dosage. I'm not denying your experience, just that it doesn't necessarily mean it's not real isotretinoin.

As for the counterfeit issue, I've had exactly the opposite impression of the company you're talking about (located in Vanatu). The med I received has none of the characteristics of a counterfeit: the pills themselves are in no way of poor or unusual quality. They are packed in bubble packs of 10. Each has a lot number on it as well as full labeling exactly like legitimate medicine. Each bubble pack is packaged in a small box with a package insert. The small box has all the drug informtion that legitimate drug packaging has. The package insert is very detailed and is exactly the type of information and level of detail in any legitimate package insert. The small boxes are packed in groups of 10 in a larger box (in otherwords, 100 doses in the larger box). Each small box in the large box has the same lot number and expiration date, and the larger box has the same lot number. All packageing, printing and labeling is top quality, professional grade, with nothing slipshod or odd looking about it. If you read about counterfeits, counterfeiters don't go to anywhere close to this extent in their packaging and labeling. Plus, if someone were counterfeiting, why would they chose a very inexpensive generic - if they were to go to that effort, they'd counterfeit Accutane itself and go for bigger bucks.

Furthermore, in my personal experience, the med is working EXACTLY like Accutane brand. - for me (again, could be totlly different for you) I know this because I've taken two previous courses of accutane and the side effects are the same - dry eyes, dry lips (for me - others may vary). The effect on my condition is exactly the same. Little or no noticable effect for a week or so, a fairly significant "flare" as well as bubbling up blackheads for a couple weeks after that, and finally, things settled down within a month and I am (and was in the previous courses) pretty much clear after a month or so. IN ADDITION, the bad side effects are the same: in my previous course, my cholesterol increased significantly (I have that old lab work to compare new lab work to). This time the same thing happened.

All in all, I am personally very confident that the drug company described above (in Vanatu) is honest and sells a legitimate Cipla isotretinoin. I further believe that the Cipla isotretinoin is an effective generic substitute for accutane.

Just my opinion of course - everyone should do what they personally think is safe and effective.

Sorry Duke - I failed to notice that you have indeed taken the med before and would obviously know how it works. I have no explanation, but my experience has been very satisfactory with the Cipla product shipped from Vanatu.

#23 Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:01 AM

Well, I've stuck with the Cipla Isotroin and at long last my lips are starting to go dry. But I'd say that Cipla Isotroin 20mg capsules aren't nearly as effective as 20mg Roaccutane - more like a 10mg capsule - so buying them as a substitute for 20mg Roaccutane is a false economy in my opinion (though very tempting at £60 for 100 capsules + £14.50 import VAT).

The choice is yours - but I can see why the FDA don't approve them.

Cholesterol? Yeah, I've just had a shock on that score. My GP spotted on a recent blood test that my cholesterol level had rocketed to 9.9 - which surprised her so much she had me re-tested in case it was a glitch. The second result showed the figure as 10.3 (ulp!), so now I'm on statins for the rest of me life.

You just can't win (especially if you're me). Still getting acne when you've already got grey hairs and arthritis hardly seems fair....and now high cholesterol too, in spite of an exemplary diet.....Life is a cruel trick to play on someone.
-------------------------------------------

#24 Zoilo

Zoilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE(Duke of Earl @ Sep 23 2006, 02:01 AM) View Post

... so now I'm on statins for the rest of me life.

You just can't win (especially if you're me). Still getting acne when you've already got grey hairs and arthritis hardly seems fair....and now high cholesterol too, in spite of an exemplary diet.....Life is a cruel trick to play on someone.
-------------------------------------------

Ditto here (gray hair, cholesterol, acne) I'm hoping to nail it hard this time (while being safe). I guess I'll know in 5-6 years, since that's how long the two previous courses kept it totally away (.5 mg/kg or 66 mg/kgcumulative). Good luck with your treatment.

#25 Throwed_Meskin

Throwed_Meskin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

i dont know if theres any difference between the two but im on claravis right now and i take 40mg twice daily cause i have severe scars but ive been on it for about 4 months now and i dont really have any pimples just super dry skin like my scars look really bad from how pale my skin is and my lips are like DAMNNNNN chapped lol but oh well im used to it already so im past ppl askin about my acne....but anyway my dermo tells me that it should start clearing up here soon since everyone goes through a lil break out then improvement something like the calming of the storm haha but yeah i just hope it clears up soon cuz i miss my old skin when i had great tone and smooth skin.....

#26 GodsWill

GodsWill

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:53 PM

I just started Claravis about a week and a half ago. I can't believe how flaky my skin has gotten around my mouth and nose already. I had to skip a few pills because of a stomach virus but other than that its been no problem taking them with food. I dont want to risk not eating food with it.
I also have a staph infection on my chin which is making my acne look worse than it really is.
Even though the system of birth control and iPLEDGE gets a little tiring, i do like taking birth control with it because its also improving my acne....so hopefully my skin doesnt get *much* worse before it gets better.

I have a question though, does it help with blackheads at all? Thats one of my main problems.

Good Luck to all of you trying one of the isotretinoin treatments!

#27 Siava

Siava

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

Yes. Your blackheads should fall out eventually. It's kind of gross and neat at the same time.

#28 GodsWill

GodsWill

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:46 PM

haha ok.
Kinda sorta looking forward to it.

#29 esotret

esotret

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:15 AM

There's no difference. Both generic brands and accutane contain the same ingredients. So the difference is not based on th medicine itself, but maybe on the presentation or god knows what. This is what my dermatologist told me too.

In my country, Accutane is not fully covered by the insurance at the moment. Sotret is.

#30 Ducks_three

Ducks_three

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (thebrandman1 @ Sep 11 2006, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[b]Hello,

I started amnesteem a week ago and so far it seems like my acne is gettin worst. They have me on 40mg once a day. The only side effect ive noticed so far is chapped lips and random aches. Has anyone seen good Results ? How long does it take usually to see the results ? I would like to hear about your experiences and what you went through when you were on the drug.

Thank you Everyone

Can take several months before you see results. And expect breakouts for a while. Best tip is to be patient, and if side-effects get sever talk to your derm.

#31 kak374

kak374

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (Jordan19 @ Sep 8 2006, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (DanMan1 @ Sep 8 2006, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

anyone heard of isrotoin? made my cipla india???

any info would be appreciated, thanks

I've never heard of it. the only ones (legally)available in the US are Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, and Sotret.

The absorption rates are much different between generic and accutane. They are exactly the same chemical ingredients, but the generic pills aren't getting fully absorbed so you aren't getting the whole dose that is listed on the outside of the package. Personally, my twin sister was on generic accutane years and years ago and it did nothing for her... later she went on a 2nd round of brand name Accutane and it really really worked well.

I say if you have had acne for a long time and have been on prescription pills, topical creams & cleansers, etc... your insurance will probably cover the brand accutane. Yes it is expensive (approx $1700 for 30 days)! But I refused to go on generic b/c I don't want to have to put myself through another course of accutane with all the potential side effects (aka worried about getting pregnant, minimal drinking, no sun without like 70 spf, dry/cracked lips, thinning of the skin that results in frequent cuts and scraps). I did have some trouble with my insurance at the beginning, but it has been smooth sailing since my first prescription pick up.

Depending on insurance, the out-of-pocket co-pays is going to be about the same. The cost of accutane is really being put on your insurance... so I would reccomend using name-brand rather than generic!

#32 Evris

Evris

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

I used Tretin by Bayer and it cost only 25$. Accutane is way more expensive

#33 Pamela14346

Pamela14346

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (maggie3840 @ Nov 20 2004, 03:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey there all... well my derm also never gave me the option of choosing to have accutane but rather gave me Amnesteem right from the get go... i called her the day i filled the script to verify if this was right and she told me she wont perscribe accutane because she has a strong liking towards Amnesteem and said she feels it has less side effects with faster results and although its not documented she feels this is the case... well i just finished my 4 mo treatment and im glad i listened to her... 2 weeks into the treatment was acne was 50% GONE and by the first mo 100% gone and never once got the initial break the only side effect however was i had slightly dry lips but not nearly as bad as everyone says they are... as long as i put on lip balm after a meal or drinking something (as it washes it away) i was totally fine... i was on 40MG Once a day for 4 mo and i now have friends telling me i have "Jessica Simpson's" complexion!!!! WHAT A TURN AROUND!!! Never again will I question a Gerogetown graduate!... i have now been off Amnesteem for 6 mo and i have gotten 3 small pimples that were gone within a day or so and hardly noticiable... good luck to all those out there on it... theres a light at the end of the tunnel not toooo much long now... BE EXCITED! eusa_dance.gif

Thats great to hear Maggie! I have an appt this tuesday and i am going to try and that on that. Hopefully The Dr. doesn't say that im not severe enough to get on that.

#34 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

Bump. After reading countless accutane threads, it seems like a lot of people who took claravis suffered bad berakouts and scarring... or am i just being paranoid?

#35 Brownilocks

Brownilocks

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

DO NOT order accutane that is not FDA approved!!! This is a serious drug, why get it from who knows where and put yourself in REAL danger! There is a reason it is so strictly controlled in the US and a doc needs to monitor you while you are on it! Please get only FDA approved meds!!! For the person who is pusing Cipla Isotroin because they claim that the other brands cost $500 if you don't have insurance, that is a flat out lie. I DO have insurance but I just got my first Rx and it said that I paid $4 and my insurance covered $12.23 so even if I was uninsured it would only have cost me $16.23 for a months supply. I'm on a higher dosage too, 60mg a day. I got mine at CVS and it is for Claravis generic by the way. I'm new to the drug but happy with it so far, though it is early in my course (day 6). If anyone is worried about the price because they don't have insurance pick up the phone and call the pharmacy to see how much the drug will cost you without insurance. I used to not have insurance and have done this in the past for other acne drugs I took and they are happy to give you that information. In terms of my derm, without insurance my appointment would be $60/month plus $10 for urine pregnancy test and I'm not sure about the blood test. I'm sure they will gladly give you that info if you are worried if you just ask them as well. Some doctors will work on a sliding scale based on your income if you don't have insurance as well so ask, ask, ask! Personally, I would suffer with acne or go broke getting the real stuff before I EVER considered took a med I bought online that is not FDA approved! Just sayin'...