Photo

real accutane vs. generic accutane... ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 flyskimmy3

flyskimmy3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2004 - 12:41 AM

question...i was wondering if there is a significant difference between generic accutane (claravis, amnesteem, etc.) to the real accutane? thanks for your help! : )

#2 Parker

Parker

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2004 - 01:33 AM

Absolutely no difference- Both have the same active Ingredient in the same amount it is just that the sole rights of the original drug company who made the drug- Roche I (think in the early 80's or late 70's) have expired and so other companies are now able to produce the same drug with the same active ingredient but under a different name.
Accutane 40MG FOR 7 MONTHS has cleared my skin when nothing else did.

THANKYOU ROCHE and DAN

#3 flyskimmy3

flyskimmy3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2004 - 07:27 PM

thanks! : )

#4 acne_suks

acne_suks

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2004 - 05:32 PM

The price...

lol
Check out my FINISHED Accutane Journal w/ advice and pics:
http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=11650

Click here for info on MICRODOSES!
http://www.acne.org/...p...9308&st=120

#5 maggie3840

maggie3840

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2004 - 02:54 AM

Hey there all... well my derm also never gave me the option of choosing to have accutane but rather gave me Amnesteem right from the get go... i called her the day i filled the script to verify if this was right and she told me she wont perscribe accutane because she has a strong liking towards Amnesteem and said she feels it has less side effects with faster results and although its not documented she feels this is the case... well i just finished my 4 mo treatment and im glad i listened to her... 2 weeks into the treatment was acne was 50% GONE and by the first mo 100% gone and never once got the initial break the only side effect however was i had slightly dry lips but not nearly as bad as everyone says they are... as long as i put on lip balm after a meal or drinking something (as it washes it away) i was totally fine... i was on 40MG Once a day for 4 mo and i now have friends telling me i have "Jessica Simpson's" complexion!!!! WHAT A TURN AROUND!!! Never again will I question a Gerogetown graduate!... i have now been off Amnesteem for 6 mo and i have gotten 3 small pimples that were gone within a day or so and hardly noticiable... good luck to all those out there on it... theres a light at the end of the tunnel not toooo much long now... BE EXCITED! eusa_dance.gif

#6 allblkaudi

allblkaudi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

Yeah, I just started amnesteem too, and after a week I have had no more acne than before and not really dry skin... My brother was on ACCUTANE (not generic) and he had a HORRIBLE breakout (that left scarring)

Maybe its to early to tell tho...idk?

#7 JennyQ

JennyQ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(maggie3840 @ Nov 20 2004, 02:54 AM) View Post

Hey there all... well my derm also never gave me the option of choosing to have accutane but rather gave me Amnesteem right from the get go... i called her the day i filled the script to verify if this was right and she told me she wont perscribe accutane because she has a strong liking towards Amnesteem and said she feels it has less side effects with faster results and although its not documented she feels this is the case... well i just finished my 4 mo treatment and im glad i listened to her... 2 weeks into the treatment was acne was 50% GONE and by the first mo 100% gone and never once got the initial break the only side effect however was i had slightly dry lips but not nearly as bad as everyone says they are... as long as i put on lip balm after a meal or drinking something (as it washes it away) i was totally fine... i was on 40MG Once a day for 4 mo and i now have friends telling me i have "Jessica Simpson's" complexion!!!! WHAT A TURN AROUND!!! Never again will I question a Gerogetown graduate!... i have now been off Amnesteem for 6 mo and i have gotten 3 small pimples that were gone within a day or so and hardly noticiable... good luck to all those out there on it... theres a light at the end of the tunnel not toooo much long now... BE EXCITED! eusa_dance.gif

Hey Maggie!!! I'm so excited to hear that. I just got my prescription for amnesteem yesterday and was actually disappointed that it wasn't THE accutane. I'm so relieved to hear that. How bad was your acne when you began the amnesteem?

#8 JR86

JR86

I've gotta go, i cut my foot earlier and my shoe is filling

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(maggie3840 @ Nov 20 2004, 04:54 AM) View Post

I don't think this is the case, Amnesteem and Accutane have the exact same amount of the exact same active ingredient so I don't know how it would make a difference.

BTW, Jessica Simpson has been on accutane

#9 DanMan1

DanMan1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

anyone heard of isrotoin? made my cipla india???

any info would be appreciated, thanks

#10 JR86

JR86

I've gotta go, i cut my foot earlier and my shoe is filling

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE(DanMan1 @ Sep 8 2006, 08:37 PM) View Post

I've never heard of it. the only ones (legally)available in the US are Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, and Sotret.

#11 Lebal

Lebal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:03 AM

I dont know of any reason why one brand, and it is a brand, would be better than the other. Perhaps the delivery mechanism and rate of absorbtion from the capsules maaaybe.
Anyone have any ideas as to why there would be a preference to one of the other?
I was on Isotroin from Cipla for my second round of accutane, used the company for other things and they have always been fine. They are repeatedly given praise for supplying aids drugs at more affordability then western world pharm corps. PM me if you want more info.

#12 Guest_FearlessBunnyLove_*

Guest_FearlessBunnyLove_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:13 PM

I think I posted this somewhere else about generics and the difference between them and brand. There is no difference chemically. The reason the brand costs more is because the have to make up for the cost of developing and marketing the drug where as the generic just has to make it. I've taken 2 different generics of accutane and both work just fine.

#13 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:12 AM

My first course was on Roche brand Accutane - there were no generics at the time. My more recent course was on the generic Claravis. I saw no difference in effectiveness.
Currently - all clear!
Maintaining my last Accutane course (10/05-04/06) click here for log
Yasmin on Seasonale schedule
Green Cream lvl 6
Shiseido White Lucent system
(cleanser, and SPF 16 moisturizer (no way, SPF that doesn't sting!?))

#14 thebrandman1

thebrandman1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:36 PM

[b]Hello,

I started amnesteem a week ago and so far it seems like my acne is gettin worst. They have me on 40mg once a day. The only side effect ive noticed so far is chapped lips and random aches. Has anyone seen good Results ? How long does it take usually to see the results ? I would like to hear about your experiences and what you went through when you were on the drug.

Thank you Everyone

#15 Zoilo

Zoilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE(DanMan1 @ Sep 8 2006, 04:37 PM) View Post

I've been on Cipla Isotroin for almost 3 months - started at 40 mg. day and now 60 (may reduce again to 40 because of cholesterol issues). I took accutane brand twice before (in mid-80s and mid-90s). I'm seeing exaclty the same effects with the generic same effectiveness, same side effects. I believe it is a high quality product with the same clinical effectiveness as the brand name product.

#16 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:16 AM

I personally wouldn't take Cipla - it's not approved in the US which means it's not complying with FDA oversight in some way. I'd stick with the main generics - Amnesteem, Claravis, Sotret, or the Roche brand name Accutane/RoAccutane.
Currently - all clear!
Green Cream lvl 6

#17 Zoilo

Zoilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(beentheredonethat @ Sep 13 2006, 05:16 AM) View Post

I personally wouldn't take Cipla - it's not approved in the US which means it's not complying with FDA oversight in some way. I'd stick with the main generics - Amnesteem, Claravis, Sotret, or the Roche brand name Accutane/RoAccutane.

I totally respect your personal decision not to take an FDA approved generic. And really, that's not a bad idea in general. But the fact that it isn't approved by the FDA may or may not mean it does not comply in some way or that it is ineffective or somehow dangerous. It just means the company hasn't applied for FDA approval or hasn't completed the process. (Of course, it could mean the FDA turned down approval, but I have read nothing to indicate this.). One of the most common reasons for this is that the company doesn't see a market in the US worth the cost of the approval process, or they just haven't completed the process yet.

I was hesitant as well, but in my research of the company Cipla, I found that it is a very reputable company with world wide respect as a manufacturer of quality generics. It has several approved in the US. This indicates to me that it is a company with manufacturing standards that meet FDA standards as a rule. I decided that it was worth using because I do believe it is a high quality product and it is of reasonable cost for those of us who must pay out of pocket for the med. My course will cost approximately $500 US instead of several thousand.

#18 DanMan1

DanMan1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(Zoilo @ Sep 17 2006, 05:11 PM) View Post

QUOTE(beentheredonethat @ Sep 13 2006, 05:16 AM) View Post

I totally respect your personal decision not to take an FDA approved generic. And really, that's not a bad idea in general. But the fact that it isn't approved by the FDA may or may not mean it does not comply in some way or that it is ineffective or somehow dangerous. It just means the company hasn't applied for FDA approval or hasn't completed the process. (Of course, it could mean the FDA turned down approval, but I have read nothing to indicate this.). One of the most common reasons for this is that the company doesn't see a market in the US worth the cost of the approval process, or they just haven't completed the process yet.

I was hesitant as well, but in my research of the company Cipla, I found that it is a very reputable company with world wide respect as a manufacturer of quality generics. It has several approved in the US. This indicates to me that it is a company with manufacturing standards that meet FDA standards as a rule. I decided that it was worth using because I do believe it is a high quality product and it is of reasonable cost for those of us who must pay out of pocket for the med. My course will cost approximately $500 US instead of several thousand.

same here bro, getting mine hopefully soon, i pray this is the end *crosses fingers*

#19 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

The approved generics are just as cheap and have the benefit of FDA oversight. If you are taking Cipla in the US you are obtaining it illegally which is a very bad idea with Accutane. If you are taking it somewhere it is approved, then you have to decide how much you trust the existing oversight program. The amount of money that even generic isotretinoin brings in for pharmaceutical companies is staggering - this cannot be a case where they don't think they could make enough money if they were approved.
Currently - all clear!
Green Cream lvl 6

#20 Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE(DanMan1 @ Sep 9 2006, 01:37 AM) View Post

I've recently bought 100 x 20mg Cipla Isotroin capsules via the Internet (mailed from Vanuatu in Melanesia) and I'm beginning to suspect that either (a) it's a very poor relation of Accutane/Roaccutane - or else (b) I've been sold counterfeit capsules which only consist of gel, with no active ingredient.

That's to say, I've been taking them for a week now and am experiencing no classic Accutane/Roaccutane side-effects at all, not even dry lips.

Hard to know what to do. I mean, I can hardly claim against the UK-based online pharmacy who fixed me up with them, if I can't get the drugs analysed and checked for bogusness.

I've been on and off Roaccutane for most of the last nine years, so I know my onions. But how to PROVE it?

(Meanwhile, beware of ordering Cipla Isotroin from websites, I'd say. Stick with the better-known names.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------