Photo

Antidepressants causing acne?

red mark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 katten

katten

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

I was supposed to start on Cipralex (escitalopram) this morning, but I haven't since I'm kind of scared it would cause a breakout. I haven't seen any scientific papers etc. that support this, only heard from people who claim they've experienced it, but in a way I guess it could really make acne worse. (if you think about what it actually does.)

Have anyone in here experienced that your acne got worse while taking antidepressants? I currently have pretty mild acne, but I do have some red marks left, and two nodules/cysts, and I wouldn't want a big breakout again when I fought so hard to get rid of the acne that I got two months ago.

So, any thoughts? I couldn't find anything on the Internet. (I know there's even some old discussions on this forum, but those didn't really help me.)

Thanks in advance.

#2 CheyCheyenne

CheyCheyenne

Lightsnoise

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

If you really need antidepressants...why would anything else matter? And no. Prozac didn't give me any acne.

#3 californiaEstie

californiaEstie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:07 PM

Nope! No acne caused by them. (I meant for me! haha)

Edited by bek_cogent, 03 December 2010 - 11:47 AM.

#4 katten

katten

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (CheyCheyenne @ Dec 2 2010, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you really need antidepressants...why would anything else matter? And no. Prozac didn't give me any acne.

Well, I guess I'm very prone to get (more) depressed if I get acne, so if it would break me out for some reason the medication would kind of contradict its purpose.

I guess I'll try them anyway, but I'll keep track of possible side effects (especially acne); though I'll make sure it's no nocebo effect.

Thanks for your replies.

#5 Michellica

Michellica

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:32 PM

I understand your concern, especially if acne is causing depression. Prozac did not make my acne any worse.

#6 Goneandnvrcominbak

Goneandnvrcominbak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:18 AM

I was on Prozac for a little over 4 years n didnt notice any breakouts while taking it. I already had acne though and didn't notice an increase of any kind. You have to be realistic tho. Every medication is different for everyone and no one can say that any medication will not have any side effects. I suggest that you try the antidepressant regardless because depression is not something to be taken lightly.

I think breaking out should be the less of your worries so take care of your depression treatment first. I understand tho about being scared of bad side effects especially acne cuz Im supposed to go back on meds next week but I think honestly that once I find the right treatment for me that maybe my acne and scars will be less of a worry for me even though i know it's there. I just want to live my life the way I used to.

I'm here to support you. Let me know how your progress goes with the med. Good luck Hun!

#7 katten

katten

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (Michellica @ Dec 2 2010, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand your concern, especially if acne is causing depression. Prozac did not make my acne any worse.

Ok, I really hope it won't make my acne worse either. Thanks for the reply. smile.gif

QUOTE (frannymae @ Dec 3 2010, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was on Prozac for a little over 4 years n didnt notice any breakouts while taking it. I already had acne though and didn't notice an increase of any kind. You have to be realistic tho. Every medication is different for everyone and no one can say that any medication will not have any side effects. I suggest that you try the antidepressant regardless because depression is not something to be taken lightly.

I think breaking out should be the less of your worries so take care of your depression treatment first. I understand tho about being scared of bad side effects especially acne cuz Im supposed to go back on meds next week but I think honestly that once I find the right treatment for me that maybe my acne and scars will be less of a worry for me even though i know it's there. I just want to live my life the way I used to.

I'm here to support you. Let me know how your progress goes with the med. Good luck Hun!

Thank you, kindhearted frannymae! I also want to live my life like I used to, or you know, in a none-hopeless way at least. I hope you're getting better as well, your thread in this forum section touched me and I really wish you well. I've, as of today, started to take these pills and I'll just have to see what happens. It sucks though that the beginning often is the roughest part. Whatever. *fingers crossed*

#8 Michellica

Michellica

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (katten @ Dec 3 2010, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I really hope it won't make my acne worse either. Thanks for the reply. smile.gif

My pleasure. I have gone through the exact same thing. I'm actually going to a therapist now. I swear if my acne would just go away I would rarely be as depressed as I am right now. Wish you the best of luck! Keep us updated.

#9 goldmund18

goldmund18

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:04 PM

I started taking the anti-depressant fluoxetine (Prozac) before I got acne, and when I got acne, and when the acne went away, then came back again. So I don't think it causes acne, or makes it worse at all, wouldn't know where to begin as to find a reason why it would cause acne. I recommend the drug though, it does help in the long run, don't know why, it just helps.

#10 katten

katten

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (Michellica @ Dec 3 2010, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (katten @ Dec 3 2010, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My pleasure. I have gone through the exact same thing. I'm actually going to a therapist now. I swear if my acne would just go away I would rarely be as depressed as I am right now. Wish you the best of luck! Keep us updated.

Yeah, acne is extremely depressing. In my case I experienced some very severe separation anxiety, which I myself (or the acne) caused. If it wasn't for the acne I could've handle it, even though I'm emotionally a wreck, but now it just feels so hopeless. Anyway... good luck you too!

QUOTE (goldmund18 @ Dec 3 2010, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I started taking the anti-depressant fluoxetine (Prozac) before I got acne, and when I got acne, and when the acne went away, then came back again. So I don't think it causes acne, or makes it worse at all, wouldn't know where to begin as to find a reason why it would cause acne. I recommend the drug though, it does help in the long run, don't know why, it just helps.

It's just what I've heard. Maybe it could be that it burdens the liver or causes hormonal changes, I don't know. I guess I'm paranoid.

I'm also taking some benzodiazepines, maybe those can make a significant change on the acne? A friend of mine also claims to get pimples from sleeping pills (zopiclone), which I'm also taking. Whatevs, I'll just stop it if I notice anything.

#11 SoCogirl

SoCogirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:07 AM

anti-depressants im pretty sure are to help stimulate endorphins, which is psychological, not having to do with skin..if anything it might help your skin actually, because it will help with stress (esp if you are stressing about skin) which is a main cause of breakouts. So who knows, it might just make your face a little better. smile.gif good luck love.

#12 crystal_willow

crystal_willow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (SoCogirl @ Dec 22 2010, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
anti-depressants im pretty sure are to help stimulate endorphins, which is psychological, not having to do with skin..if anything it might help your skin actually, because it will help with stress (esp if you are stressing about skin) which is a main cause of breakouts. So who knows, it might just make your face a little better. smile.gif good luck love.

Geek out: The thing is as lay people we tend to get told "cut out and keep" bits of information which leads us to thinking that a bio-molecule will only act on a particular part of our bodies because thats all we associate it with (or cause thats all thats been studied) but the body if far more efficient than that, making use of the same molecules for many many different roles. For example seretonin is a neurotransmitter associated with mood... it is also active in the gut.

endorphins and other mood enhancing biomolecules are very likely to effect more than just psychological symptoms... including the activity in skin.

http://www.nature.co...l/5603304a.html

for example in the link shown a study links endorphins to opiate receptors which are associated with skin cell development.

I'll put it simply, at the risk of sounding pretensious: the unknown is not the untrue

my response to the actual issue: Any medication is going to have a wide variety of internal effects, in the case of prozac, I have known many many many people personally and professionally who have taken SSRI's (prozac) and none of them have complained that they developed acne because of it so theres no red flags as far as I can see.

Perhaps the reduction in stress will even help the acne?. Things will possibly be a bit wierd emotionally when you start taking the medication so concentrate on getting your medication balance right for your emotions and see what happens then.

good luck xx

Edited by crystal_willow, 22 December 2010 - 01:54 AM.

#13 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:36 AM

Some antidepressants will cause acne; others won't. It will also depend on YOUR biochemistry and particular reaction to a medication. One med that may break one person out, might not break you out. It's difficult to say. smile.gif

Antidepressants, depending on their classes, can work on MANY different types of neurotransmitters (including serotonin, norephineprhine, dopamine, etc!) and each of those neurotransmitters will effect others in a normal chemical reaction; that's just how it is. So altering one neurotransmitter WILL effect other parts of the body. The brain and body aren't separate. They're HIGHLY enmeshed.

#14 accushame!

accushame!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:42 PM

wow.. this actually got me thinking. i started effexor around march-ish of 2010. i started getting more acne around may but it was still manageable. my doctor upped my effexor dose around that time (for different reasons). my acne went out of control around august and kept getting worse and worse and worse (cystic acne, super inflamed and sore, couldn't even bare to put makeup on because of how bad it hurt). i didn't want to take effexor anymore (again for different reasons, none having to do with acne, i never thought acne had anything to do with my AD).. i've never had acne that bad in my entire life so i honestly have no idea if it's a coincidence but wah.. i never even thought about that. i'm not on effexor anymore i stopped them dec 1rst (it took a while to get down to a 0mg dose, u have to do it gradually) and it'll take a while to it to be all of my system.. i rly wonder if it acne and my effexors were linked now! hmmm.. could be many many other things tho. but like the others are saying, if you need anti-depressants and think they are going to help, definatly go for it and don't worry about it making your acne worse. check the side-effects of your medication and talk about it with your doctor, if acne isn't a side effect i definatly wouldn't worry about it too much and take other precautions to prevent acne!

#15 katten

katten

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:16 AM

Hey!

Sorry I haven't been active in my own thread (or even any part of the forum.) I just wanted to thank you all for your replies, lot's of good stuff in here! Thank you accushame!, Wynne, crystal_willow and SoCogirl!

My meds have not affected my acne in any noticeable way (i.e. I still get the occasional inflamed pimple every other week, nothing out of the ordinary); so because of that I'm relieved. The red marks left from previous big break out still drives me mad though. :/

#16 BeautifulPerseverance619

BeautifulPerseverance619

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

My head hurts lol. It would be interesting to know what your diet was during or if it changed at all. Second, It's probably hormonal related. I know when my acne was at it worst, I was stressed more.