My Regimen

2 replies to this topic

#1 DanielG

DanielG

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

Acne has never been much of a problem for me. Aside from an occasional pimple, my freshmen, sophomore and junior years were pretty much acne-free. But toward the end of my junior year, it usually went something like this: Perfectly clear skin for a week, big cystic pimple for a week, perfectly clear skin for a week, big cystic pimple for a week.

It was weird, and I never really understood how that happened. Over the summer, though, things started getting rough. And at the start of my senior year, pimples became more frequent in the t-zone area. My chin became the main problem, though it occasionally reached to my upper lip and cheeks. And as minor as it may be, it's enough for me to begin looking into some good regimens.

Beginning today, November 22, 2010, I'll be logging my process from moderate acne to, hopefully, clear skin. With college only 9 months away, I'm determined to get completely clear.

Here's what I'll be doing:

Night:
  • Cetaphil Daily Cleanser in the shower.
  • Clean and Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser in the shower.
  • Mixture of baking soda, water, and a touch of 98% natural Aloe Vera Gel. (To make the application of the paste smoother and easier.) I'll be leaving that on for about 10-15 minutes, then after washing it off, I'll be applying straight Aloe Vera and then a moisturizer.
  • Doctor-prescribed Sulfacetamide Sodium Topical Suspension USP, 10%. A long name for an actually rather gentle topical treatment. It goes on like lotion, and doesn't hurt my skin at all. (MY skin. I don't speak for the masses, here.) Helps with the appearance of scars, mostly.

Morning:
  • Cetaphil Daily Cleanser in the shower.
  • Again with Sulfacetamide Sodium Topical Suspension USP, 10%. (It's recommended to be used 2 times a day.)
  • Purpose Moisturizer. This stuff works like a charm. It doesn't clog the pores, but it doesn't leave the skin too oily. (I tried the Cetaphil Moisturizer for a while, but it made me too oily.)

And for now, that's it. In the past, I've tried Epiduo (which made me look sunburned) and Ziana (which dried me out too much). Now, I understand that most acne treatments take a while to actually start working, but for my moderate case of acne, putting myself trough that much embarrassment was worse than the acne itself.

I'll post tomorrow for "day one."

-Daniel-

Edited by DanielG, 22 November 2010 - 05:59 PM.

#2 DanielG

DanielG

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

Alright, Day One.

The baking soda mixture stings a bit when applied, but it kind of reminded me of the way an astringent feels. So if it works the same way, but with less harmful chemicals, then I'm alright with that. I have decided, however, that I won't be doing it everyday. It's much to abrasive for that.

As far as overall acne goes, I'm not feeling to great. There's an area on my chin that is just completely red. Not inflamed, no pimples, just flat, red skin. It's weird, really. Earlier this week there was about two pimples there, but they're long gone. I don't understand what would make the skin do that. Oh well.

My major problem is scarring. For me, it doesn't seem to matter if I pop a pimple or not, it'll leave something behind. Of course, if I can get the acne to stop inflaming for a while, the scars go down, and all is well. But it's a very rare occasion when the inflaming stops.

I'm hoping that this baking soda does the trick and that the scars begin to subside... and fast. I have a wedding to attend in two weeks, and I'd like to look a little better than I do now .... okay, a lot better.

#3 Nikki Pshee

Nikki Pshee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:21 AM

hi daniel.... i came across ur post ...and i happen to be on almost the same regimen that u have decided to start...i started today actually.. (with the sulfacetamide sodium topical suspension) but have been washing my face with the cetaphil for about a month-love how gentle it is and its smells nice too... The only difference is that ive started to take a lot of vitamins.. such as zinc, vitamin a, b, c, d, & e.... (lol wow... didnt realize i was taking that many,,,) ohh and i take a multi-vitamin and fish oil... i have been drinking A LOT of water!! i mean A LOT!!! so..... in regards to scarring... i think u should be taking vitamins and drink plenty water... its def helping fade my scars as well as preventing new breakouts... good luck 2 u.... and to me too!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users