Photo

The Only Real Cure For Acne!!!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#21 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (Doctor_Doom @ Aug 13 2004, 08:36 AM)
What ever. You all can carry on by making your lifes even more misserable by depriving yourselfs of glorious food, but i'm not gonna do that.

Tell me if you get real results though. wink.gif

sorry to say, but I do have results bb_eusa_dance.gif

#22 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:00 AM

As do many people... smile.gif

#23 J|ngles

J|ngles

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 12:04 PM

Maybe it doesn't work for you but everyones cirsumstances are individualistic so diet does affect Acne, i stopped eating chocolate, excess sugar etc and it makes a massive difference.

So, guess your just stuck until your 20 man when your hormones take a backseat.
J i n g l e s They Call Me, Nothing More, Nothing Else.

#24 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (Eburt @ Aug 13 2004, 09:03 AM)
I think that in a perfectly balanced body that the hormones do not make you break out like they would in an unbalanced body. It makes sense right?

Well if you have acne, your body isn't "perfectly balanced". There is something wrong with your skin. I believe that the skin in my face (don't have acne anywhere else) is too sensitive to androgens. That probably means that I'll have this condition in some form until my androgen hormone levels start to decline. Diet doesn't chance that. Diet can affect hormonal balance, but I believe that ,in my case at least, that doesn't have any effect to my skin. I've eaten fast food, chocolate and all sorts of crap, then started to eat cleaner. Didn't do anything to my skin. Now I'm eating very little carbs and no dairy and a lot of vegetables (trying to get leaner) and haven't noticed any improvement from that either. If changing dietary habits clears your skin, that's great, but it doesn't work for everybody.
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#25 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (Sam The Man @ Aug 13 2004, 12:03 PM)
Well if you have acne, your body isn't "perfectly balanced". There is something wrong with your skin. I believe that the skin in my face (don't have acne anywhere else) is too sensitive to androgens. That probably means that I'll have this condition in some form until my androgen hormone levels start to decline. Diet doesn't chance that. Diet can affect hormonal balance, but I believe that ,in my case at least, that doesn't have any effect to my skin. I've eaten fast food, chocolate and all sorts of crap, then started to eat cleaner. Didn't do anything to my skin. Now I'm eating very little carbs and no dairy and a lot of vegetables (trying to get leaner) and haven't noticed any improvement from that either.  If changing dietary habits clears your skin, that's great, but it doesn't work for everybody.

Sam,
Just wondering if you would tell us what you diet is like now. More specifically than just very low carb & lots of veggies. Sometimes people eliminate things, but they didn't eliminate enough of or everything that could be a problem for them.

What are your sources of carbohydrates? What kinds of fats are you eating? fried, trans fats, saturated, etc?

Also, what kind of acne do you have? Where does it show up on your face? Do you have oily skin or large pores too?

Then again, maybe all you need is the right supplement. What have you tried so far?

Thanks =)
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#26 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (SweetJade1980 @ Aug 13 2004, 09:41 PM)
Just wondering if you would tell us what you diet is like now.  More specifically than just very low carb & lots of veggies.  Sometimes people eliminate things, but they didn't eliminate enough of or everything that could be a problem for them. 

Well the fact is that I find it very hard to believe that my hormonal balance and acne would be influenced by one specific food item. I mean I could understand if it was carbs in general or fats in general. From my experiences with Roaccutan, I've learned that this is a very persistant disease. I stopped my last course about 5 weks ago and my face started to get oily after 2 weeks of going off the medication. It's just very, very hard to believe that there would be some easy fix for this after 15 years.

I'm eating basically tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, carrots, cabbage and peanuts (lots of fiber) for carbs. Tuna, sardine, salmon, red meat, turkey, chicken for protein. Rapeseed oil (is this canola oil in US ?) for fats and little butter for frying (fat comes from protein sources too of course). That's about it.

If I can, I buy only food that is produced in Finland, obviously tuna and sardines are from cans and we don't have peanuts from here, so those are from somewhere else. They don't use growth enhancing hormones in here and there is very little medicine residues found in the meat here, so I don't think those are a problem.

I have oily skin and large pores. Basically it's on my cheeks, chin, under my chin and on my nose. Not really on my temples or forehead. Some whiteheads in the chest area and upper back, in triceps and hamstrings, but nothing serious in those areas. No scaring or nothing like that.

I'm not saying that my acne is as bad as when I was 15, it's not. I don't get big infected cysts anymore or things like that. It's just very oily and I get lots of blackheads and clogged pores. And scarring. sad.gif

What do you mean by supplement? Dietary supplement?
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#27 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (Sam The Man @ Aug 13 2004, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (SweetJade1980 @ Aug 13 2004, 09:41 PM)
Just wondering if you would tell us what you diet is like now.  More specifically than just very low carb & lots of veggies.  Sometimes people eliminate things, but they didn't eliminate enough of or everything that could be a problem for them. 

Well the fact is that I find it very hard to believe that my hormonal balance and acne would be influenced by one specific food item. I mean I could understand if it was carbs in general or fats in general. From my experiences with Roaccutan, I've learned that this is a very persistant disease. I stopped my last course about 5 weks ago and my face started to get oily after 2 weeks of going off the medication. It's just very, very hard to believe that there would be some easy fix for this after 15 years.

I'm eating basically tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, carrots, cabbage and peanuts (lots of fiber) for carbs. Tuna, sardine, salmon, red meat, turkey, chicken for protein. Rapeseed oil (is this canola oil in US ?) for fats and little butter for frying (fat comes from protein sources too of course). That's about it.

If I can, I buy only food that is produced in Finland, obviously tuna and sardines are from cans and we don't have peanuts from here, so those are from somewhere else. They don't use growth enhancing hormones in here and there is very little medicine residues found in the meat here, so I don't think those are a problem.

I have oily skin and large pores. Basically it's on my cheeks, chin, under my chin and on my nose. Not really on my temples or forehead. Some whiteheads in the chest area and upper back, in triceps and hamstrings, but nothing serious in those areas. No scaring or nothing like that.

I'm not saying that my acne is as bad as when I was 15, it's not. I don't get big infected cysts anymore or things like that. It's just very oily and I get lots of blackheads and clogged pores. And scarring. sad.gif

What do you mean by supplement? Dietary supplement?

Sam,
Ah ha, now your diet, as little as it is, consists of several foods that contribute to acne production and oil production.

Nightshades - Various sources from pH, "Evil Lectin", & Eastern medicine diets will tell you that Tomatos, if not all those in the Nightshade family will contribute to oil production. Why? Well they have their own theories, too much heat stimulates oil, or intolerance stimulates oils (somehow), but if that is a concern then you may want to eliminate the tomatoes and peppers. Some people can eat whatever they want, but found they needed to give up the tomatos or all nightshades (to reduce oil production). Nightshades are: Tomatos, Potatos, Peppers, Cucumbers, and Eggplant

Carrots - well there's many opinons here, but it's basically blamed on it's glycemic load/index

Peanuts - this is one that I avoid because it gives me cysts. I know others have found that they needed to avoid peanuts to. It falls into the pH & Paleo, & "Evil Lectin' Free Diets.

I apologize if that's not what you want to hear, but something that little CAN make that much of a difference. It does for me and many other people. I'm guessing if your acne hasn't improved with the reduction of whole grains, then you can eat those again, unless you still want to follow the Ketogenic Diet. In fact you can eat a lot more veggies, especially the green or cruciferous ones like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, etc that had loads of fiber & nutrients. I'm only suggesting those to you because if you chose to see if the above affect your skin, you WILL have to find something else to replace them wink.gif

Of course, the problem for you may not be androgens directly. You may have an adrenal disorder that could also boost androgen production. Unfortunately we won't know until you get your test results back. Please make sure to ask for a copy of them so you can see how close you are to being "normal". As far as dietary supplements go, there's many possibilities and hopefully your test results will be able to guide you into picking the correct one(s) for your problem, if you choose not take medications.

Take Care
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#28 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:46 PM

For those curious, compare your old or current diet to these lists:

http://www.thewolfec...idalkfoods.html

http://www.snyderhea...com/foodash.htm (divides into levels)

http://www.keytoheal...kalinediet.html (divides into levels)

http://www.chelation...ticles/p149.htm

http://www.mynchen.d...ine_balance.htm ( something for Sam)

HTH =)

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#29 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:53 PM

Nightshades? Why do they have that kind of a name?

About the carrots, if I eat one carrot, it has about 3 grams of carbs, so the glycemic load is pretty nonexistent. And the carrots that we have here have glycemic index that is about 16 compared to for example canadian carrots that have GI 92.

And I have about 2 tomatoes a day right now, so that's not a lot. But I guess I could try to eliminate those for a while.

I'm gonna start eating oatmeal and rye bread again, when I get to my goal fat precentage and start to bulking up again. cool.gif

#30 lookingtobeclear

lookingtobeclear

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:39 PM

I presume it means they are in the nightshade family of plants.

I have not tried (in earnest) any acne diets. However, I DO NOT dispute that diet does not affect acne but I think it may or may not affect it on different people.

I believe Dr. Doom said it was hormones - well okay let's discuss that for a second - I started getting acne around 12 (all down my back at first) so right at the beginning of puberty. I had on/off fluctuations all through my teenage years. Then around 19 things got really bad. Cleared off again around a year or so later. I thought I was done or getting close. Then at 27 - wow - cystic acne from hell. I went on birth control for the first time. They screwed up everything else and didn't do a damn thing for the acne. So what was going on with my hormones at 27? I started the birth control AFTERWORDS in an attempt to correct it. After three years I dropped that since it wasn't working for me and caused ALL kinds of other issues. Then a little less than a year ago I started using a natural hormone cream at the advice of a friend. I'm 35. For the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE since I was 12 my back is acne free. I actually wore a halter top this summer! (like, ohmigod!). My face acne got MUCH better - BUT it's still not gone.

So for me - there was some sort of reaction when my hormones changed but not a complete one. To me this indicates that my acne was hormonal related - but it wasn't my only cause. Personally, I think most acne sufferers are dealing with more than one issue. I've found lots of things that seem to aggravate acne but no one magical "thing" that stops it. For instance, a washcloth with dye versus a washcloth without dye. The one with dye causes little bumps all over my face. White washcloths do not. It's also a totally different type of acne than the good ol' dependable cystic acne. I've found all kinds of products and make-up that seem to affect it - but the acne can act different with different products.

I have seriously considered the acne diet concept - it's a hard pill for me to swallow though since a vast majority of my favorite foods fall under the carb family or the "bad" foods. Interestingly enough though - I eat almost nothing but carbs and weigh 126 pounds. That is why I was so surprised when Atkins became so popular - in theory I should be one fat little porker. I rarely eat meat and truly dislike most cheeses. To me, this implies that carbs make some people fat and don't effect others as bad. This also means (to me) that it's possible what food causes acne in one will not cause it in another.

I don't advocate any particular diet nor do I advocate not doing a particular diet. You can't say anything good or bad about it until you've experienced it for yourself. The very thing that works for one person may not do anything for another. You can't discount diet (or any method) until you've researched it, experimented with it for a long enough period and personally experienced the results or lack of.

Regardless, I appreciate people's input on here of what they have personally experienced. Here at least, right or wrong method for me, I hear more options than I ever would in any doctors office.

#31 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (lookingtobeclear @ Aug 14 2004, 12:26 AM)
I eat almost nothing but carbs and weigh 126 pounds. That is why I was so surprised when Atkins became so popular - in theory I should be one fat little porker. I rarely eat meat and truly dislike most cheeses. To me, this implies that carbs make some people fat and don't effect others as bad. This also means (to me) that it's possible what food causes acne in one will not cause it in another.

If you won't eat more than your energy expenditure, you won't get fat. It's not that much what you eat, it's how much you eat.

#32 lookingtobeclear

lookingtobeclear

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 04:53 PM

I won't argue that - I've always said people need to think about how much they eat. I still can't believe there are people out there who can eat all of their pasta dishes that are served in most restaurants. But I do eat a lot - and I snack constantly - almost exclusively high carb. When I found out what Atkins supported I just felt like I should be a lot larger than I am. But that goes to show that what messes with one person's world, does not mess with someone else's in the same way. I know really large people with beautiful skin. I guess they can say they know really small twits with bad skin. bb_icon_rolleyes.gif

#33 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 07:41 PM

lookingtobeclear,
Bingo! You have to remember that acne is caused by a variety of things and that these same factors may or may not have an effect on someone elses health or skin.

Now as for this cream, was it progesterone?

Thanks

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#34 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2004 - 01:58 PM

I don't see how acne can be anythign other than hormonal related. The diets you talk about affects your hormones. Why don't most children get acne? Because they don't fully develop sebaceous glands until puberty. Adults get acne because of excess oil on their face, improper exfoliation of skin(whether natural or manual) and bacteria multiplying on your face(for the lucky few this is their only reason and it's usually due to contact). YOur diet, stress, exercise, etc... all contribute to your hormones.

#35 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2004 - 03:08 PM

blackbirdbeatle, you mentioned once that you are taking or doing something to balance your hormones, an it has cleared ur skin, i was wondering what you are doing? thanks! caroline
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules] Country music makes me horny

#36 edenfield

edenfield

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2004 - 03:26 PM

guys, the atkins doesn't work because carbs make you fat.

the atkins works because it puts your body into ketosis. it's a survival instinct mode in which your body uses FAT and PROTEIN to form KETONES. Ketones then fuel your brain and other vital necessities.

this occurs when you are fasting or starving yourself as well. but because on the atkins you are taking in sufficient amounts of protein your body does not cannabalize itself.

hence the fat 'melts' off when carbs are reduced or eliminated.
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#37 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2004 - 03:42 PM

Atkins works also because when you are in a ketosis, you are not really hungry. You eat less, so you lose weight. Carbs are so easy to eat. I've done carb ups where I have eaten about 1000 grams of carbs a day with no problem.

#38 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2004 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (blackbirdbeatle @ Aug 14 2004, 01:45 PM)
I don't see how acne can be anythign other than hormonal related. The diets you talk about affects your hormones. Why don't most children get acne? Because they don't fully develop sebaceous glands until puberty. Adults get acne because of excess oil on their face, improper exfoliation of skin(whether natural or manual) and bacteria multiplying on your face(for the lucky few this is their only reason and it's usually due to contact). YOur diet, stress, exercise, etc... all contribute to your hormones.

Exactly

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#39 lookingtobeclear

lookingtobeclear

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2004 - 04:41 PM

Sweetjade - yes Progesterone cream. A friend mentioned it - first I'd heard of it so I tried it. Best stuff I've used. Did a lot more than just clear (most) of my skin.

Interestingly enough, my mom said that a regular lotion used to put this in their lotion back in the 70's. She thought it was Revlon. Anyway, she used it and noticed some changes but she said after a while she couldn't find it - but she really liked the lotion.

I wouldn't swear that progesterone works on everybody - but hey - with acne - I think anything is worth a shot if you can afford it and have done the proper research on a given subject. I'd still rather use this stuff than take anti-biotics or use pharmacy grade creams that dry my skin out and cause red patches...

#40 idealist

idealist

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:07 PM

i too discovered the book "The PH Miracle" about a month ago! although, i haven't been following it to a T, i've definitely noticed an improvement in skin by incorporating more fresh vegetables into my diet.

about 11 months ago, i discovered the acne/hormone/diet connection. so i started decreasing/eliminating (as best as i could) simple carbs, dairy, sweets. it wasn't easy. i'd say it took a good 5 months before i felt somewhat strict on it.

my skin got better (note: there were other parts of my regimen too: birth control and exfoliation products) but i still felt very tired and seemed to have breakouts very easily when slipped off the diet, esp. if i ate any sweets.

enter The PH Miracle (about a month ago). in reading this book i realized i wasn't eating enough freshvegetables. i was mostly alternating between some bean/legume/brown rice combo and salad combo. so i what i started doing was having salad with fresh vegetables as part of EVERY meal and the bean/legum/brown rice as the SIDE DISH rather the MAIN dish. the book recommend 80% alkanizing, 20% acidity. but i'm more at 60/40.

it's only been about a month, but i definitely notice a boost in energy (it's almost 1am right now and i'm typing away...and i have to go to work tomorrow...i'm normally asleep by 11 pm) anyhow, regarding skin, it seems my skin just looks better. and when i do slip off the diet (by eating sweets) the blemishes i get are not as bad as before and heal faster (given of course the i go BACK TO the diet soon after slipping off).

of course, nothing is so clear cut. there were a number of other things i started to do at the same time i slightly altered my diet:
1. drinking lemon juice first thing in the morning and before bed.
reason: many sources indicate it helps the body eliminate impurities. also, the PH Miracle indicates lemon juice has alkanizing effects.
2. not drinking with meals
reason: people with acne may have impaired digestion/vitamin absorbtion, so avoiding drinking fluids will help. the PH Miracle also advises this, as does the macrobiotic philosphy
3. drinking flax seed oil
reason: many sources indicate it's good for health in general, as well as skin problems.