Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Only Real Cure For Acne!!!!!

46 posts in this topic

Just wondering if you would tell us what you diet is like now.  More specifically than just very low carb & lots of veggies.  Sometimes people eliminate things, but they didn't eliminate enough of or everything that could be a problem for them. 

Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

Just wondering if you would tell us what you diet is like now.  More specifically than just very low carb & lots of veggies.  Sometimes people eliminate things, but they didn't eliminate enough of or everything that could be a problem for them. 

Well the fact is that I find it very hard to believe that my hormonal balance and acne would be influenced by one specific food item. I mean I could understand if it was carbs in general or fats in general. From my experiences with Roaccutan, I've learned that this is a very persistant disease. I stopped my last course about 5 weks ago and my face started to get oily after 2 weeks of going off the medication. It's just very, very hard to believe that there would be some easy fix for this after 15 years.

I'm eating basically tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, carrots, cabbage and peanuts (lots of fiber) for carbs. Tuna, sardine, salmon, red meat, turkey, chicken for protein. Rapeseed oil (is this canola oil in US ?) for fats and little butter for frying (fat comes from protein sources too of course). That's about it.

If I can, I buy only food that is produced in Finland, obviously tuna and sardines are from cans and we don't have peanuts from here, so those are from somewhere else. They don't use growth enhancing hormones in here and there is very little medicine residues found in the meat here, so I don't think those are a problem.

I have oily skin and large pores. Basically it's on my cheeks, chin, under my chin and on my nose. Not really on my temples or forehead. Some whiteheads in the chest area and upper back, in triceps and hamstrings, but nothing serious in those areas. No scaring or nothing like that.

I'm not saying that my acne is as bad as when I was 15, it's not. I don't get big infected cysts anymore or things like that. It's just very oily and I get lots of blackheads and clogged pores. And scarring. sad.gif

What do you mean by supplement? Dietary supplement?

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

Nightshades? Why do they have that kind of a name?

About the carrots, if I eat one carrot, it has about 3 grams of carbs, so the glycemic load is pretty nonexistent. And the carrots that we have here have glycemic index that is about 16 compared to for example canadian carrots that have GI 92.

And I have about 2 tomatoes a day right now, so that's not a lot. But I guess I could try to eliminate those for a while.

I'm gonna start eating oatmeal and rye bread again, when I get to my goal fat precentage and start to bulking up again. cool.gif

Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

I presume it means they are in the nightshade family of plants.

I have not tried (in earnest) any acne diets. However, I DO NOT dispute that diet does not affect acne but I think it may or may not affect it on different people.

I believe Dr. Doom said it was hormones - well okay let's discuss that for a second - I started getting acne around 12 (all down my back at first) so right at the beginning of puberty. I had on/off fluctuations all through my teenage years. Then around 19 things got really bad. Cleared off again around a year or so later. I thought I was done or getting close. Then at 27 - wow - cystic acne from hell. I went on birth control for the first time. They screwed up everything else and didn't do a damn thing for the acne. So what was going on with my hormones at 27? I started the birth control AFTERWORDS in an attempt to correct it. After three years I dropped that since it wasn't working for me and caused ALL kinds of other issues. Then a little less than a year ago I started using a natural hormone cream at the advice of a friend. I'm 35. For the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE since I was 12 my back is acne free. I actually wore a halter top this summer! (like, ohmigod!). My face acne got MUCH better - BUT it's still not gone.

So for me - there was some sort of reaction when my hormones changed but not a complete one. To me this indicates that my acne was hormonal related - but it wasn't my only cause. Personally, I think most acne sufferers are dealing with more than one issue. I've found lots of things that seem to aggravate acne but no one magical "thing" that stops it. For instance, a washcloth with dye versus a washcloth without dye. The one with dye causes little bumps all over my face. White washcloths do not. It's also a totally different type of acne than the good ol' dependable cystic acne. I've found all kinds of products and make-up that seem to affect it - but the acne can act different with different products.

I have seriously considered the acne diet concept - it's a hard pill for me to swallow though since a vast majority of my favorite foods fall under the carb family or the "bad" foods. Interestingly enough though - I eat almost nothing but carbs and weigh 126 pounds. That is why I was so surprised when Atkins became so popular - in theory I should be one fat little porker. I rarely eat meat and truly dislike most cheeses. To me, this implies that carbs make some people fat and don't effect others as bad. This also means (to me) that it's possible what food causes acne in one will not cause it in another.

I don't advocate any particular diet nor do I advocate not doing a particular diet. You can't say anything good or bad about it until you've experienced it for yourself. The very thing that works for one person may not do anything for another. You can't discount diet (or any method) until you've researched it, experimented with it for a long enough period and personally experienced the results or lack of.

Regardless, I appreciate people's input on here of what they have personally experienced. Here at least, right or wrong method for me, I hear more options than I ever would in any doctors office.

I eat almost nothing but carbs and weigh 126 pounds. That is why I was so surprised when Atkins became so popular - in theory I should be one fat little porker. I rarely eat meat and truly dislike most cheeses. To me, this implies that carbs make some people fat and don't effect others as bad. This also means (to me) that it's possible what food causes acne in one will not cause it in another.

I won't argue that - I've always said people need to think about how much they eat. I still can't believe there are people out there who can eat all of their pasta dishes that are served in most restaurants. But I do eat a lot - and I snack constantly - almost exclusively high carb. When I found out what Atkins supported I just felt like I should be a lot larger than I am. But that goes to show that what messes with one person's world, does not mess with someone else's in the same way. I know really large people with beautiful skin. I guess they can say they know really small twits with bad skin. bb_icon_rolleyes.gif

lookingtobeclear,

Bingo! You have to remember that acne is caused by a variety of things and that these same factors may or may not have an effect on someone elses health or skin.

Now as for this cream, was it progesterone?

Thanks

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

I don't see how acne can be anythign other than hormonal related. The diets you talk about affects your hormones. Why don't most children get acne? Because they don't fully develop sebaceous glands until puberty. Adults get acne because of excess oil on their face, improper exfoliation of skin(whether natural or manual) and bacteria multiplying on your face(for the lucky few this is their only reason and it's usually due to contact). YOur diet, stress, exercise, etc... all contribute to your hormones.

blackbirdbeatle, you mentioned once that you are taking or doing something to balance your hormones, an it has cleared ur skin, i was wondering what you are doing? thanks! caroline

[image removed by sigbot--see board rules] Country music makes me horny

guys, the atkins doesn't work because carbs make you fat.

the atkins works because it puts your body into ketosis. it's a survival instinct mode in which your body uses FAT and PROTEIN to form KETONES. Ketones then fuel your brain and other vital necessities.

this occurs when you are fasting or starving yourself as well. but because on the atkins you are taking in sufficient amounts of protein your body does not cannabalize itself.

hence the fat 'melts' off when carbs are reduced or eliminated.

[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

Atkins works also because when you are in a ketosis, you are not really hungry. You eat less, so you lose weight. Carbs are so easy to eat. I've done carb ups where I have eaten about 1000 grams of carbs a day with no problem.

I don't see how acne can be anythign other than hormonal related. The diets you talk about affects your hormones. Why don't most children get acne? Because they don't fully develop sebaceous glands until puberty. Adults get acne because of excess oil on their face, improper exfoliation of skin(whether natural or manual) and bacteria multiplying on your face(for the lucky few this is their only reason and it's usually due to contact). YOur diet, stress, exercise, etc... all contribute to your hormones.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

Sweetjade - yes Progesterone cream. A friend mentioned it - first I'd heard of it so I tried it. Best stuff I've used. Did a lot more than just clear (most) of my skin.

Interestingly enough, my mom said that a regular lotion used to put this in their lotion back in the 70's. She thought it was Revlon. Anyway, she used it and noticed some changes but she said after a while she couldn't find it - but she really liked the lotion.

I wouldn't swear that progesterone works on everybody - but hey - with acne - I think anything is worth a shot if you can afford it and have done the proper research on a given subject. I'd still rather use this stuff than take anti-biotics or use pharmacy grade creams that dry my skin out and cause red patches...

i too discovered the book "The PH Miracle" about a month ago! although, i haven't been following it to a T, i've definitely noticed an improvement in skin by incorporating more fresh vegetables into my diet.

about 11 months ago, i discovered the acne/hormone/diet connection. so i started decreasing/eliminating (as best as i could) simple carbs, dairy, sweets. it wasn't easy. i'd say it took a good 5 months before i felt somewhat strict on it.

my skin got better (note: there were other parts of my regimen too: birth control and exfoliation products) but i still felt very tired and seemed to have breakouts very easily when slipped off the diet, esp. if i ate any sweets.

enter The PH Miracle (about a month ago). in reading this book i realized i wasn't eating enough freshvegetables. i was mostly alternating between some bean/legume/brown rice combo and salad combo. so i what i started doing was having salad with fresh vegetables as part of EVERY meal and the bean/legum/brown rice as the SIDE DISH rather the MAIN dish. the book recommend 80% alkanizing, 20% acidity. but i'm more at 60/40.

it's only been about a month, but i definitely notice a boost in energy (it's almost 1am right now and i'm typing away...and i have to go to work tomorrow...i'm normally asleep by 11 pm) anyhow, regarding skin, it seems my skin just looks better. and when i do slip off the diet (by eating sweets) the blemishes i get are not as bad as before and heal faster (given of course the i go BACK TO the diet soon after slipping off).

of course, nothing is so clear cut. there were a number of other things i started to do at the same time i slightly altered my diet:

1. drinking lemon juice first thing in the morning and before bed.

reason: many sources indicate it helps the body eliminate impurities. also, the PH Miracle indicates lemon juice has alkanizing effects.

2. not drinking with meals

reason: people with acne may have impaired digestion/vitamin absorbtion, so avoiding drinking fluids will help. the PH Miracle also advises this, as does the macrobiotic philosphy

3. drinking flax seed oil

reason: many sources indicate it's good for health in general, as well as skin problems.

1. drinking lemon juice first thing in the morning and before bed.

reason: many sources indicate it helps the body eliminate impurities. also, the PH Miracle indicates lemon juice has alkanizing effects

Let me tell you something about diets...I started dieting to lose fat and i read that it could help acne.This was around april.Ive been drinking 6litres of water /day and no high GI foods what-so-ever , My carbs come mainly from oats and a little amount of semiskinned milk (used to cook oats).The rest of my carbs come from onions,garlic,cucumbers,peppers. I dont believe that a vegetable like cucumber can be bad for acne (its 90% water for crying out loud).Also peppers have more vitamin c than oranges and alot of vitamin A and E.I did lost 20pounds since then but my acne is the same (if not worse).While at the same time my bro gained 25-30 pounds eating all the crap i didnt eat and he is still 100% clear.

Over and out.

I say let me never be complete,

I say may I never be content,

I say deliver me from Swedish furniture,

I say deliver me from clever arts,

I say deliver me from clear skin and perfect teeth,

I say you have to give up,

I say evolve and let the chips fall where they may.

--Fight Club: This is your life

"Its only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything."

alexalmighty,

i hate to break it to you, but the oats and milk could be the culprit. some people are VERY sensitive to gluten, which are in oats, which some have noticed this sensitivity with their acne. same goes for milk, worse than oats i think because of the hormones and antibiotics used in cows. many people on this board and others have indicated they completely eliminated dairy and their skin got better. i personally don't seem to be bothered by oats, but dairy YES! i can have some dairy, like maybe just once a week. but if i begin to have it over the course of a few days i most definitely begin to break out. perhaps try eliminating the oats and milk for a month just to see...what do you have to lose? except maybe your acne! good luck.

idealist: Oats for one dont brake me out because some time ago i was eating eggs instead of that meal..milk neither cause i did a keto diet for a wek and didnt notice anything different.Humans can eat everything,its a law of nature.

I say let me never be complete,

I say may I never be content,

I say deliver me from Swedish furniture,

I say deliver me from clever arts,

I say deliver me from clear skin and perfect teeth,

I say you have to give up,

I say evolve and let the chips fall where they may.

--Fight Club: This is your life

"Its only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything."

you guys can see my clear skin if you go to www.burtonfamilyfinancial.com

I am the guy on the left on the homepage.

Also let me know if you need to refinance or purchase a home.