Medicaid and Accutane

6 replies to this topic

#1 Isabella100

Isabella100

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

i already know medicaid doesn't cover the cost of actual accutane, but does it cover the cost of blood tests? i tried to call and find out but they asked for the procedure number and i had no idea what it was. :/

help?? i'm already expecting that it won't be covered, but if so i'd like to know how much i can expect the cost to be for the blood tests out-of-pocket. if it's not too much then it won't be a major problem for me.

#2 musicislife

musicislife

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:50 AM

i dont know if it's different depending on where you live, but i'm paying out of pocket, too (OUCH!). i found the cheapest to be about $120-ish...for everything...the pregnancy test and bloods. i would suggest calling around. i could not believe the differences in prices. one place wouldve been almost $300. damn.
and also...in case you're wondering, i found that sam's club has the cheapest accutane (well, it's claravis), and that's where i'm gonna get mine. it's even cheaper if you take out a sam's plus membership. that's $100 (for a year), but will probably pay for itself in the first month, depending on the dose i'm put on. i dont know if you need that info, but thought i'd throw that out there to you. good luck!

Edited by musicislife, 15 November 2010 - 12:54 AM.

#3 Isabella100

Isabella100

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:08 PM

another $120. my god. D=

#4 Isabella100

Isabella100

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

i live in michigan... i'm not sure how medicaid here compares to other places, but i have my fingers crossed that at the very least it will cover the test, since it doesn't cover anything else.

#5 dorismarilyn

dorismarilyn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:29 PM

I also paid for my treatment out of pocket. As someone else recommended shop around like you would with everytime else. Mention that you are paying cash, sometimes the discounts are like 40 or 50 percent for paying in full and in cash or debit. I found Wal-Mart had the cheapest prescription. I was on 40mg for month one 50 for month two and 60 for months three-five. My labs were 130 and dermatologist visits were 38. The total for my treatment was 2,900.

#6 oooh

oooh

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:53 PM

yea definitely shop around the pharmacies.
my insurance is shit.
the last 2 months ive been paying close to $400 for 40mg prescription at walgreens. i had no idea other pharms were cheaper! like someone said in the above posts- i found sam's club to be the cheapest. and i think next was either target or walmart.

my med bills come out to $300 for the damn tests.
which im just making small payments on currently.

it sucks

#7 Isabella100

Isabella100

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

i went to the derm yesterday. medicaid will cover accutane and all the costs, but i have to go through a pre-authorization process, which will take a few more months... grr. they started me on minocycline and tretinoin because it's a requirement with my insurance. thankfully, though, my insurance covers those too. tongue.gif

i'm a bit worried with taking the minocycline though, since i'm female, and i heard the side effects are more common and worse in women. yeast infections, tinnitus (ringing of the ears), dizziness, etc... any women who have taken minocycline had problems with it? good, bad?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users