Photo

[picture included] Sebaceous glands on nose - options?

co2 cortisone tca

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 jesture

jesture

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

So I've got stubborn raised scars on my nose and I'm 99% sure that they're sebaceous glands that won't go away with conventional treatment. I've used tazorac, TCA peels, co2 laser, hydrocortisone, nothing seems to work.

So the only option I've found on these forums seems to be electrocautery. However, I was wondering if Dermatend could possibly work? It's used to burn/freeze off moles.

Here is the picture of the scars I am talking about:
http://img638.images...1/img03291o.jpg

#2 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE (jesture @ Nov 8 2010, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I've got stubborn raised scars on my nose and I'm 99% sure that they're sebaceous glands that won't go away with conventional treatment. I've used tazorac, TCA peels, co2 laser, hydrocortisone, nothing seems to work.

So the only option I've found on these forums seems to be electrocautery. However, I was wondering if Dermatend could possibly work? It's used to burn/freeze off moles.

just curious, but how did you get these? I have one similar one (except it is white/greyish color) on my nose. I also have small pimply like bumps, except yours look very soft to the touch, while mine are rather hard.

btw, electrocautery, from what i know of is rather safe

#3 mebe

mebe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:04 AM

I have been dealing with these for aWHILE. Don't do electrocautery as that is essentially burning the skin and scraping it off which can lead to pigmentated or scarred looking skin. After years of seeing doctors and being suggested countless useless lasers I think the answer to my problem is something done by estheticians for around 100 bucks...
Radiofrequency ablation. It's used to destroy tumors within the body and also in cardivascular surgery. Estheticians use certain types for sebaceous hyperplasia, blackheads, lesions etc.

Noone has suggested it to me in all this time; I came about it through researching.
Please know that I am not guaranteeing you that this is the answer. It is just what I believe would be appropriate for me.

There are only 2 vids of it on youtube and from what I've read, it doesn't seem like many SH sufferers know about this. When I find someone capable of doing this procedure on me I will try it out.

ps you dont want to know how many times I've watched these videos while in a blue mood. It gives me hope though, and that's enough to brighten my disposition and lift my confidence.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tQW6f8PsAFk
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=iw6hSctJRvk

#4 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:24 AM

hey mebe just out of curiosity, but whats the difference between sebacious hyperplasia and fibrous papules on the nose?

Also how does on form them? I have this weird greyish/whiteish bump on my nose (it seems to blend in with my skin, but you can still see the lump) and its very noticeable when a bright light flashes at me, i.e. a flashlight.

I showed several dermatologists it and got answers ranging from "its nothing do not worry about it" to "its a benign fibrous papule, if you really want to get it removed, electric cauterizing would work." According to the derm, electric cauterizing is very safe and low chance of scarring.

#5 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE (mebe @ Nov 9 2010, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been dealing with these for aWHILE. Don't do electrocautery as that is essentially burning the skin and scraping it off which can lead to pigmentated or scarred looking skin. After years of seeing doctors and being suggested countless useless lasers I think the answer to my problem is something done by estheticians for around 100 bucks...
Radiofrequency ablation. It's used to destroy tumors within the body and also in cardivascular surgery. Estheticians use certain types for sebaceous hyperplasia, blackheads, lesions etc.

Noone has suggested it to me in all this time; I came about it through researching.
Please know that I am not guaranteeing you that this is the answer. It is just what I believe would be appropriate for me.

There are only 2 vids of it on youtube and from what I've read, it doesn't seem like many SH sufferers know about this. When I find someone capable of doing this procedure on me I will try it out.

ps you dont want to know how many times I've watched these videos while in a blue mood. It gives me hope though, and that's enough to brighten my disposition and lift my confidence.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tQW6f8PsAFk
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=iw6hSctJRvk

also, regarding blackheads. Would the radiofrequency ablasion remove the blackheads without causing the blackheads to scar(i.e. enlarge the pore?) Is it similar to a facial? Looking at the videos, it seems like it would be pretty harsh on the nose? if any of you guys decide to try this, please let me know how it turns out for you!

#6 jesture

jesture

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (Timehealsall @ Nov 9 2010, 02:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jesture @ Nov 8 2010, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just curious, but how did you get these? I have one similar one (except it is white/greyish color) on my nose. I also have small pimply like bumps, except yours look very soft to the touch, while mine are rather hard.

btw, electrocautery, from what i know of is rather safe

I used to have bigger bumps, but my derm used some quick procedure where he injected something inside and kinda burned it away. But these smaller bumps seem to be here to stay. =/

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into radiofrequency ablation!

#7 mebe

mebe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

time:
To be honest I haven't looked into fibrous papules all that much cause I was sure that I didn't have them.
From my perspective though I think they would be fine to treat with cautery or freezing; I've seen some vids of removal of these with no issue.

I think that these papules are more extended outside of the skin like a mole and could be removed more easily. SH is within the skin as its the accumulation of oil in the gland trapped. The gland increases in size for unknown reasons, mostly inflammation tho.
So for SH its best to treat it from within (radiofreq imo and not cautery which scrapes the outside) and fibrous papules benefit from the other measures.

Ask several derms and doctors though as they have such varying opinions and procedures.
good luck

#8 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:07 AM

hey mebe, can sebacious hyperplasia ever be of similar color to fibrous papules? Mines is very hard to see the color of but you can clearly see the lump on my nose.

Also, what color is sebacious hyperplasia generally speaking