Photo

Leo's Last solution

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#21 coLe

coLe

coLe thoMas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:53 PM

Well jade, you seem to put things in a perspective that even I can see why they could be causing probelsm for me. Is there anyway you could take some time with me and we can discuss my diet and complextion and perhaps what I need to add/eliminate to my diet. Thats great to hear you are 99% clear, I love to hear about ppl overcoming acne, and I hope to soon be able to post a topic saying how clear my skin is now, and what exactly I did to achieve my results, but for now I am still learning.

On a side note I have been taking my Minocycline, using neutragena's on the spot bp, and also have been taking supplements that I recieved from www.valeenterprises.com
two of them support liver health, one is for adding back in friendly bacteria, a artichoke extract, and also a flax boost. I started doing this just yesterday, and my active acne has dried up significantly and two marks on my cheeks are a lot less inflamed, quite frankly I am suprised I am getting reults so fast, but this could also mean I'm just not getting new acne at the time. I normally get 1-3 zits a week, normally one being of significant size and the others go away after a few days. Also I have had very mild acne on my upper back and in teh past week it has disappeared, red marks and all, pretty amazing.

So jade, if I could have some sort of diet consultation with you I would really appreciate it, any advice you could give me would be grand, and I look forward to hearing from you.

coLe cool.gif

#22 lookingtobeclear

lookingtobeclear

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 04:23 PM

Cole/Jade,

I'd like to be involved in this conversation myself, if you two don't mind. I don't dispute the whole diet thing - but I've also wondered why my acne came and went over the years when my diet never changed. In fact, my acne got worse as I got older and became more concious of what I was eating. I quit smoking, I reduced my coffee intake, I never did eat fast food and still don't, and I've tried to avoid a lot of sugar products. I had very good success with a hormone cream - but it's not a 100% cure either. It just seemed to cure my hormonal acne, I guess.

I haven't read that many books on diet/skin - I also can't afford these people who want you to buy their 150.00 dollars-a-month supplement products. That is just way out of my league. So I am definitely not as familiar with the majority of this insulin/carb/dairy versus clear skin concept.

I'd be very interested in hearing what you've learned thus far.

Thanks!

#23 coLe

coLe

coLe thoMas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2004 - 05:01 PM

Hiya, Lookingtobelear, What is this hormonal cream you speak of? bb_eusa_eh.gif I would love for us all to be able to chat and compare and contrast, let's see what jade says, three heads are better then one! dry.gif < smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

coLe

#24 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2004 - 02:10 PM

CoLe,
Minocycline helped clear my face (95%) & back (100%) up too. I was only on it for 3 months and was still taking Birth Control and Spironolactone. Yet, despite the anti-androgens I was on, once I stopped it my acne became worse than before, and even spread to new areas that still haunt me occasionally to this day. So if I'm glad you are taking the artichoke extract (heard it's good for many things) while you are doing this, otherwise....I won't say anything further.

As for your supplements, they could be helping out too and will hopefully offset any medications you are taking and if you do end up taking accutane. Flaxseed contains lignans that act as DHT inhibitors but they also act as estrogen inhibitors (males) and those concerned with certain cancers should like that. Antibiotics work by reducing inflammation, so taking omega 6s, and other forms to fight inflammation should also work. Some people are very responsive to supplements and others aren't, and I'm very glad to hear that you are doing well at the moment.

lookingtobeclear,
I'm also interested in what hormonal cream you are using. I'm only aware of two kinds for females, estrogen or progesterone creams. I suppose they can also be mixed too. Among the boards, the popular choice would be NPC (natural progesterone cream) for those that lack (regular) menstrual cycles and breakout.

Also, to make it easier, I'll start a new thread for your other concerns.

Bye for now

#25 JeremyT

JeremyT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2004 - 10:30 AM

Why would you spend 40 bucks on a book that is full of babble that isn't going to do anything to your skin? blink.gif bb_icon_rolleyes.gif just MHO. lol

#26 lookingtobeclear

lookingtobeclear

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2004 - 04:56 PM

Sweetjade/Cole:

Yes, Progesterone Cream - Sweetjade - I answered you in another thread somewhere regarding the same question. Appreciate your new thread!

Cole - men CAN use it but one study done showed no difference in men except that it could be used as a contraceptive method on men. However, since no large pharmacuetical company is sponsoring it there won't be any tests/studies done it. You can check out out more about this stuff: Dr. John Lee "What your doctor mayl NOT tell you about Menopause". He's got other books too - it's a damn good read for any woman - especially if she's taking birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy.

That is the problem with natural/alternative methods - no studies - and if they do have one, someone is criticizing it. However, everyone will believe the studies that pharmacuetical companies do (never mind they are studying and promoting their own product, never mind that doctors get kickbacks when they prescribe certain medications that are being "pushed" that month on tv).

#27 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2004 - 06:59 PM

lookingtobeclear,
LOL, I don't know which thread to respond to you on about this, so I'll use this one. Were there any other reasons why you chose NPC treatment? Are you perimenopause or have you always had weight or menstrual problems?

Thanks

#28 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2004 - 11:40 PM

lord.. i just finished skimming over leos book... my head aches bb_eusa_wall.gif i cant get over all the info he has packed into that e book.. im going to try as much of what he recommends as i can handle.. an ill post results.. an summarize it as soon as i can figure out what i just read bb_eusa_boohoo.gif

#29 lookingtobeclear

lookingtobeclear

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:01 AM

Hey Sweetjade,

No true weight problems - always on the small side until I hit my thirties - now I'm just average (5'4" - 126 lbs) not too small, not overweight.

I wouldn't say that I had issues with my period in the sense of it being irregular - but I would say that I definitely had monthly issues - bloating, cramping, long periods, 35-40 day between cycles though (however, most of the women in my family are that way) - almost all of that has evened out along with most - but not all - of my skin. I am and have always been leery of taking a synthetic drug for extended periods of time - it simply did not seem right. I was 30 before I ever tried birth control.

BC pills had affected other things - sex drive, they made the cramping 40 times worse, facial hair growth (like I didn't have enough issues to begin with!), the bloating was worse, the skin was about the same - somtimes better, sometimes not. It also caused some small ovarian cysts that were mildy annoying. When I mentioned this to a friend she told me her GYN had given her this cream to rub into her stomach. I just looked at her kind of bug eyed. When I mentioned it at work, one girl was like, Oh yeah, I love that stuff my husband and I both use it. She hooked me up with a girl that sells Arbonne - they make one version. After I tried that, I experimented around with different kinds of progesterone cream to see if one seemed to do better for me than others. I've also messed around with how I use it to see what worked best for me.

The progesterone cream really helped a lot of symptoms (eradicated or removed some of it completely). I won't sit here and say it's for everybody - after menopause - women should consider estrogen cream or progesterone - depends on what works for them or what a hormone test reveals.

I would really recommend reading Dr. John Lee's book - he gives some very interesting information written in an easy to understand format. He also advocates things like a healthy diet, no smoking, etc. One thing that I liked about him is that he never had a product to sell in his book. He even gives you recommendations of who makes the cream up to the standards he states it should be at. It's well worth checking out - any female should read it - and decide for themselves if this is a product they would like to invest in. He goes into detail to explain the difference between synthetic hormones and nautral ones - even if they are generated in a laboratory.

I've been on the cream since September of 2003. It took one year of birth control pills before side effects showed up -a nd I took it an additional two years with slow but continually developing issues. I would say that I've gotten better every month since I've started and expect to continue that trend. You can get too much of the cream - but even those who mention that also follow it by saying that it has almost no known side effects. There is an exception to every rule, as you are smart enough to know.

Feel free to ask me more questions, if you are interested. smile.gif

#30 mich

mich

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2004 - 06:12 PM

Yes Sad Caroline please try to summarize. From what I have heard the book is just too much!! ohmy.gif If you are going to do the EFA thing with the butter or goats milk, I know a place that sells it. Let me know.

#31 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2004 - 06:49 PM

mich i will give this a try an report back my take on this whole thing.. it seems alot of people say it doesnt work.. but i havent found too many people that have actually really tried what he recommends bb_question.gif

#32 mich

mich

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:34 PM

SadCaroline,

Hows the book going?

Mich

#33 raw_bebe

raw_bebe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2004 - 03:29 PM

I've read Leo's Last Solution many years ago and again recently.

The $40 book is really worth the price. It has more information than many books of it's type that are found in bookstores, and these tend to have more hype and repetition. Printed out it's over 220 pages of information that could be better organized, true - but this is the in depth medical/nutrutional information that doctors won't pay attention to and that many health-concerned people still don't know - because it really does take years of self-driven research and experimentation to find out this much information - and research labs certainly wouldn't fund research that is anti-medication.

Of course you think that changing your diet or eating habits this drastically is crazy. The American diet evolved to what it is over the past several decades and no one would consider what is considered normal as life threatening. Leo doesn't much glamorize the diet that he advocates, but you can find beautiful and amazingly delicious foods in a similiar regimin in all of the raw foods websites online, raw cookbooks - and Leo's diet allows meat, so it's less restrictive.

The link to diet and acne is real, but many American's aren't warned and don't get the opportunity to change their health through diet until they deal with more serious health issues, like ulcers, diabetes, or life threatening diseases, like cancer.

If your acne can change your lifestyle dramatically for the better, you can consider it a gift of health. Or you can take Accutane, antibiotics, and topicals and save your health salvaging for later.

#34 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:26 AM

mic:

i just read the entire thing and am going to try it. where can i get the goat's milk? thaniks!

#35 AcneFighter

AcneFighter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2004 - 04:30 PM

www.realmilk.com

www.splitcreek.com

#36 mich

mich

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:53 PM

you can get the goats milk at organicpastures.com

#37 calista

calista

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2004 - 04:51 PM

hey mich,
i think organicpastures only has cow milk unless i misread the site.

fyi: i use the raw from them at it is fabulous. i combine it with garden of life cod liver oil and it has helped my skin. raw butter is soo nutritious:)

#38 Aldo

Aldo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2004 - 05:29 AM

Acnefighter,

hello there, how you keeping?

do you know if you can get this goatmilk stuff in the uk?

#39 AcneFighter

AcneFighter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2004 - 12:05 PM

Hi, I havent taking kefir for last two weeks because my kefir grain is dead after I put it in freezer. Hmm, learned my lesson now. But I just got one from my friend. But it seems different. Lets see how it goes in process.

Hmm, to get raw milk in UK, you can check this.

from www.realmilk.com

Sainsbury's and Tesco sell Roquefort made from raw sheep's milk and Camembert made from raw cow's milk. Tesco has recently introduced an organic raw milk Swiss Emmental.

East Sussex: Plawhatch Farm, Priory Road, Sharpthorne, has raw organic milk available at their store and will deliver to the local area.

Wales: Cnwc Goats is a small goats' dairy farm selling raw milk by mail order and some raw goats' cheeses. The goats seem to be pasture fed too. Cnwc Goats, Ysbyty Ystwyth, Ystrad Meurig, Ceredigion SY25 6DA, Tel: 01974 282634, www.cnwc-goats.co.uk/

This website lists producers of raw milk in the UK as well as sources of other healthy food: http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/

I hope this helps you. smile.gif

#40 TCBGAL4EVER

TCBGAL4EVER

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2005 - 09:59 AM

Hi there SweetJade....

Could you please let us in on how you got 99% clear. I bought Leo's book too....but certainly cannot (with 2 children and going to graduate school) afford what he says is needed. I am a 31 year old...so darn tired of breakouts. I would love to know what you did that worked for you.

Thanks!
Lynn

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Aug 13 2004, 02:40 PM)
CoLe
Indeed I am of the same mind.  Similar to what Denise says, if there is something very wrong with your liver, supplements will only take you so far before they cease to work, if they effective at all.

I bought Leos book to see what he had to say about diet and supplements and at the time, I was already taking Avandia and Spironolactone and I still wasn't clear. After I read most of his book, I was thinking I would have to spend about $300 a month just so I could take 30 - 40 pills to get me clear.  I couldn't afford that, so 2 summers ago, I took the plunge...
Hmm...from what I recall, he suggests that you stay away from all dairy, trans fats, and added sugar.  He’s of the same belief of Sadcaroline and many others about not drinking while eating. Otherwise he lets you eat anything else, according to it’s natural season, as long as it has been sprouted or fermented (& is organic) right?  

Perhaps he has updated it since then.  Does his version of the Hypoglycemic Index only discuss its production of fats? What food categories does he tell you not to eat now?

I agree with the majority of what his book says, but there’s some areas that aren’t thorough enough and hopefully he’s improved in that respect. As for what I think about Insulin and it’s role, well some people here may think that I’m the “poster child� for the Insulin-Androgen-Acne connection.  http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=26936
My complexion is currently 99% clear, less oil, and the smallest pores I’ve ever known.  I know what I need to avoid or eat more of, but it’s not always feasible.  As such, I’m looking into other supplements to see if it’s possible that I can kick this last 1% that way.  In the mean time, I am still working on making my diet healthier, but I also believe that for some people symptoms can be so stubborn that they may need Detox/Cleansings/Flushes, Supplements, and/or possibly even a Prescription to help overcome ALL of their symptoms.  Although, I’ve met and worked with many people on these boards that have eliminated similar, or more foods than I, and achieved 100% clear skin; so I don’t doubt that it is possible through diet alone.

Bye for now  ;-)

View Post