Photo

Why does masturbation cause acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 switch124

switch124

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

I know there have been a lot of posts about masturbation and acne, a lot of which are filled with skeptics screaming that there is in no way a connection between masturbation and acne. And, arguably that may be true for you personally but for ME there is a definite correlation between acne and masturbation. So if you are one of those skeptics PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING on this wall. What also causes my acne is diet. When I eat well (no refined carbs, no sugar-fruit included) the inflammation (redness) in my face decreases almost immediately, and with the help of some digestive supplements I can truly heal my acne. However, because I can't quit masturbating mad.gif (dam hormones) I continue to suffer from acne. I've recently begun to try and find credible research relating acne and masturbation and why one causes the other but there doesn't seem to be anything out there. Ideally, I'd love to be able to take a supplement (right now I am taking a liver supporting supp. after I masturbate in hopes that it will boost my livers ability to remove excess hormones, but this is all somewhat conjecture), so if anyone knows of any info. I'd love to hear it.

Again please do NOT post that there is no connection between acne and masturbation. Thanks, can't wait to hear back.

-switch

#2 idc about my acnee !

idc about my acnee !

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

i havee the sam problemm ! and whenn i do quit i end up having wet dreams (it suks) ! well one thing i discovered that when u masterbate you lose alot of zinc which i read is bad for acne ; but een though it's hard i've been masterbation free for one week but i'll tel you one thingg if your gona stop stop for good cause when you slip it's a real chaos on your face (trust me) .. i've been masterbating since i was 9 and know 17 and started breaking out as a fith grader the only thing that helped was stop of masterbation ! i feel your pain broo ..

#3 Sandman21

Sandman21

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

Let me just throw out there that there is NO scientific evidence that masturbation affects acne.

Otherwise, my only conjecture would be that it temporarily increases testosterone levels, which is known to affect acne.

#4 switch124

switch124

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (AshleyNicole @ Oct 29 2010, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sandman21 @ Oct 28 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let me just throw out there that there is NO scientific evidence that masturbation affects acne.

I 2nd this.

Another reason could be that after masturbating, the person will think "shit, now I'm going to break out" and thus breaks out.

But correlation isn't causation. So it could be that the act of masturbation coincides with something else that triggers blemishes, and could be purely coincidental.

I mean, if masturbation DID for sure break people out, there sure would be a lot more high school and college students with extreme cases of acne.

Everyone would have acne if they were as "acne-sensitive" as I am, but the truth is most people aren't and can get away with a lot of things i.e. eating high glycemic foods and masturbating (the two-major triggers for me). I suppose masturbation really just "aggravates" acne for me, aggravating in the sense that what was once a clogged poor is now a full blown pimple. So I guess if you weren't acne prone and didn't have any clogged pores to begin with you wouldn't break out and thus the two are not related. (????) Maybe, I don't know, all I can tell you is that when I masturbate I get acne. There's a clear connection for me and I don't seem to be the only person in the world experiences this phenomenon, so why isn't there any information?! It just pisses me off that people just shrug and say well my textbook says there isn't a connection sooo.... 10 years ago there wasn't any information on diet and acne. I guess I'll just have to wait for science to catch up, life's a bitch and then you die.

#5 Luka-Tattoo

Luka-Tattoo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

There's so many myths about now to what causes acne. I wouldn't be suprised if this was one of them, in your case i have no idea.
There is NO direct link that diet causes acne either, ofcourse it helps to eat healthy and drink plenty of water but my DT has reassured me that it's simply not true...
I for one have no idea what used to cause my break outs.

#6 Iggy413

Iggy413

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

There's always the "god smiting you" factor. cool.gif

Jk.

#7 HereUntilCLear

HereUntilCLear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

I agree that it can aggravate acne in some people. Including me. I hate it. One time i quit doing it for a two months and my skin looked great. And that's a hard thing to do for a teenage guy! I wanna do it again but i keep giving in. I take zinc supplements and they having been doing anything for me. So i don't believe it has to do with the zinc levels in your body. There simply needs to be more research to find out the exact trigger with this "activity". But for now you just gotta be strong or strive for some other way to get/stay clear. It sucks!

#8 Michellica

Michellica

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:12 PM

It definitely doesn't "cause" acne. If you take a clear skinned person for example, they aren't just going to get a case of acne from masturbation/sex. I'm starting to believe that it may aggravate an already existing acne condition though.

#9 clandestine_guy

clandestine_guy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:06 PM

Before, I always discarded the connection between breakouts and sex/masturbation, but now I also believe that too much of it does contribute to new breakouts. Too much masturbation probably causes changes in chemical balance and depletion of zinc and other stuff. Just over the weekend I noticed how much my face was stinging and felt irritated after sex because of body contact and rolling all over the place. redface.gif Some acne causing activities just can't be completely eliminated.

#10 03GT

03GT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (AshleyNicole @ Oct 29 2010, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sandman21 @ Oct 28 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I 2nd this.

Another reason could be that after masturbating, the person will think "shit, now I'm going to break out" and thus breaks out.

But correlation isn't causation. So it could be that the act of masturbation coincides with something else that triggers blemishes, and could be purely coincidental.

I mean, if masturbation DID for sure break people out, there sure would be a lot more high school and college students with extreme cases of acne.

1. Just because there isn't "scientific evidence" on something doesn't make it not true. When I was young I used to think mainstream science had it all figured out. Now that I'm a molecular biologist, I finally realize how little they truly understand. Read any publication regarding the generation of acne, and I guarantee the first paragraph of the introduction will say something along the lines of "we THINK that acne is caused by blah, blah, blah but it's true etiology is still largely unknown." Acne is not at the forefront of research since it is cosmetic, and studies cost lot's and lot's of money so it makes perfect sense that people on this forum are realizing beneficial treatments before mainstream science does.

2. Although it's not the cause IMHO, I do believe it exacerbates acne, IN SOME PEOPLE. Acne is just the physical manifestation of an underlying issue. This "underlying issue" is different in everyone, as is evident by the efficacy of many treatments (i.e. some things work for some people but not others). The important thing to remember is that everyone on this forum has different and unique triggers, masturbation being one of them.

3. You're correct correlation does not imply causation, but we're not comparing global temperatures vs the number of pirates. We're comparing something many of us have tried time and time again and yielded the same results. Yes, simply the anxiety of this manner of thought could aggravate acne but physiologically it makes sense (i.e. fluctuation of hormone levels).

#11 layton

layton

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:07 PM

well i have a theory.... in my personal case acne started to come when i first started to masturbate (at 13) obviously it raises your hormone levels. for me it takes exactly 3 weeks to get over the effects. now lets go into the effects, first and foremost OIL!! my god there is an impossible amount of oil 5min after ejaculation, dont ask me why and it could just be me. now oil can clog pores ergo making pimples. it also makes your face red (idk whyyyy) and all those evil little red marks look like bright Christmas lights. all i do is wash my face about 4-6 times a day with pure cold water to reduce oiliness and close my pores. 1 week after i get less oily and my complexion returns to normal and red spots start to fade (YAY!) 2 weeks i almost look clear. 3 weeks oiliness gone skin feels smooth, and my complexion is almost perfect. 4-5 weeks all my other pimples start to go away. thats usually when i break :/ and then im back to square one.

i know most people think its not the "cause" and i dont really think its the cause of acne but i know for one thing, it can make it worse. Now i have friends that jerk off everyday and never get oily skin. so it varies from person to person.

#12 20andoverit

20andoverit

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:33 PM

I think AshelyNicole is right on point. Its that thought when after I masturbate ...or the thought before that im going to get acne from it. Once you get that thought it ruins it. Same with smokin weed and everything else we do you guys. Normal people with no acne dont think like that at all. This is probably a huge reason we break out. I know it is for me.

#13 HereUntilCLear

HereUntilCLear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:38 PM

I have to differ with AshleyNicole completely. I don't get acne after i jack off cuz i'm worrying about it cuz i never worried about it before i noticed it worsening my acne. And its probably the same for just about everyone else who noticed that it made their acne worse. They read something somewhere that said it may make it worse and then they thought about it and they realized it was true. And it is for me. It may not be proven that it effects acne but its also not proven that it doesn't effect acne.

#14 Luka-Tattoo

Luka-Tattoo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:55 PM

try not masturbating for a week. see if your condition improves, only way to see for yourself.
It will be "hard" I GUESS...

#15 Foreverdoomed

Foreverdoomed

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:17 PM

if masturbating is causing you acne then its your hormones that are causing your acne. period.

#16 Frankie Bond

Frankie Bond

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:19 PM

sad thing my friend yes masturbation is causing your acne well
its not masturbation its when you ejaculate your hormones get imbalanced and you tend to get an oilier face, we know that having oily skin can lead to acne.
But yes my friend Yes yes yes!

#17 HereUntilCLear

HereUntilCLear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

If i never thought about it consciously then how would that raise my stress levels and cause me to breakout?

And i rarely sweat. And i don't when doing the nasty. And i never said that it was CAUSING my issue and i don't believe anyone else did either. We just believe it aggravates our acne. And everybody's body reacts differently to different situations (hormonally and chemically) so just bcuz some other guys with/without acne can do it without it having a single affect on their skin doesn't mean some people cannot and will not.

And you seem to persistent that masturbation doesn't have a direct connection to acne... Why not? Is there something else you learned in psychology that you think would prove this wrong? (ha not trying to be rude, just a smart ass). banana.gif

#18 entourage123

entourage123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:49 AM

In my case, masturbation definitely yields breakouts... for me, particularly, it's if I do it more than once within a 4-5 period... I've read around and it seems as if some people can do it more, some less, and obviously, some people aren't affected by it at all

Immediately after I masturbate, I feel extremely clear, but one day after, I start itching, inflammation occurs, and my face becomes extremely sensitive to oil... if I go a week without masturbating, I can go without showering for an entire day and stay acne free

There is definitely a link, and I'm just trying to find a way to counteract the immediate effects... I've read that taking hot showers, taking more zinc, exercising, and many other things help prevent or lessen the impending break out... but who knows

It's hard as hell to abstain, but when I do, I definitely notice results

#19 Luka-Tattoo

Luka-Tattoo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

I've managed to go a week without doing so or sleeping with my girlfriend, and to be honest, at first i didnt think it was linked, but now im pretty sure it is, as i've noticed a decrease in redness ( I dont suffer from acne anymore but do get occasional breakout) and also My facial hair is growing a lot faster, which makes sense as its hormonal...
try it for a week or so people.
It's hard work though.

#20 poisson

poisson

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:16 AM

I just hope you're washing your hands after you masturbate and aren't touching your face =P I can see how that would cause acne, lol.

Most people who begin to have acne also start masturbating at that time (teens/tweens). It's also possible that the sex hormones released when you're masturbating could aggravate your acne. But I don't think masturbating directly causes it. Some people who masturbate quite frequently can also be depressed, which may have something to do with the acne as well. If you have a person with clear skin engage in masturbation, that does not mean he or she will break out a day or so later. Consequently, someone who already has acne could experience more breakouts when they do masturbate. It's the same with junk food. Junk food doesn't directly cause acne, but for people with acne eating junk food can make it worse. Potentially everyone's body can react differently to situations and this just might be something you'd like to stay away from or limit if you want clearer skin.