Photo

How long does it take for Zinc to work?

vitamin vitamins vitamin e calcium zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 kellokitty992

kellokitty992

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

I read on the reviews that zinc is great for acne. So I bought 50 mg of zinc..on the ingredients it says zinc gluconate, microcrystaline cellulose, dicalcium phosphate, crocarmellose sodium, stearic acid, hypomellose.. etc.

I also stared taking vitamin E..

but after a week, my acne is so much worse! I used to just get little zits and blackheads/ whiteheads, but now my entire forehead is breaking out with angry, big, painful pimples. Is this caused by zinc and vitamin E? should I stop taking them?

Please help... I am so frustrated by acne.. and these ones hurts alot. I feel like when I talk to people, my acne is all they look at..

#2 HereUntilCLear

HereUntilCLear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:56 PM

3 months in and i havent seen any results. i've read on livestrong.com that zinc only works for acne at 200mg or more but thats so unsafe. so i think the people who have seen results with zinc didn't see results because of the zinc but from other stuff they were doing while taking zinc. i could be wrong but i am not impressed with zinc so far. and there's no way to know that the zinc even caused your breakouts and probably didnt

#3 XC60

XC60

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:03 AM

I just decided to give Zinc another go a couple of days ago. I doubt that it was the Zinc that gave you a breakout, I would do the same thing, and blame the supplement I was trying out. I think that there's more to it, as far as supplements go...to be continued.

#4 databased

databased

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (HereUntilCLear @ Oct 24 2010, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think the people who have seen results with zinc didn't see results because of the zinc but from other stuff they were doing while taking zinc.

That thought has been scientifically disproven. Zinc has been studied many times with acne and has nearly always provided some measurable, statistical improvement in every study. For most, it's no miracle cure, for some (as with all treatments) it's no help, but it is certainly well-proved to have some benefit against acne for most people.

but after a week, my acne is so much worse!

It's interesting that in one of the most recent studies of zinc (the patented "OptiZinc", I think), they claim benefits did not occur until after 8 weeks of taking the pill. IME, few people can manage to take a pill 3 times per day for 8 weeks.

IMHO, zinc needs a normal melatonin surge to be effective against acne, and I suspect the folks for whom zinc is no help at all largely intersect with the people who have really messed-up sleep patterns (e.g., sleeping only 6 hours, different bedtimes on different days, sleeping in light pollution, etc.).

#5 kellokitty992

kellokitty992

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

I like to think that I have normal sleeping patterns.. going to bed at 11:00 and getting up at 7:00...

I only take 50 gram of zinc everday.. is that not enough?

I think I will stick to the zinc supplement and stop using vitamin E, maybe that'll help

thanks everyone!

#6 jesture

jesture

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:19 AM

How exactly is zinc supposed to help?

#7 pathetic_26

pathetic_26

Set your standards and FLY HIGH! :)

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:34 AM

Hi! I've been taking Zinc for atleast 4-5 months (6 months tops) and I have seen a huge improvement on my acne upon my medication. This will be my last medication for Zinc (This is too much of a good thing!) I'm taking Chelated Zinc as recommended for better absorption rather than the regular one. My advice when you're taking Zinc: In any form of Zinc, always take it once a day AFTER A HEAVY MEAL! Never take it on an empty stomach because this might result to ulcer. (Chelated) Zinc works better on a full stomach.

I'm not entirely sure whether Zinc gives breakouts. Frankly, I never noticed it. But what I do know is that my acne slowly starts to diminish until it disappears.

If you're still not satisfied with Zinc, try them with Vitamins A,C,E and B Complex. These vitamins are known for skin repair and scarring capabilities and clearing acne as well. But be sure to only take them per vitamin or atleast in combination with Zinc. If you like start with Zinc and B Complex. These two work like a charm. But NEVER take them all at once. This may result to overdosage.

Hope this helps!

#8 djh123

djh123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:55 AM

Edited by djh123, 03 September 2011 - 11:34 PM.

#9 Maldition

Maldition

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

3 months.

#10 BD REMO7

BD REMO7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

how much zinc do you take 50 mg or so ?

#11 BD REMO7

BD REMO7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

[quote name='pathetic_26' date='Dec 1 2010, 01:34 AM' post='2991162']
Hi! I've been taking Zinc for atleast 4-5 months (6 months tops) and I have seen a huge improvement on my acne upon my medication. This will be my last medication for Zinc (This is too much of a good thing!) I'm taking Chelated Zinc as recommended for better absorption rather than the regular one. My advice when you're taking Zinc: In any form of Zinc, always take it once a day AFTER A HEAVY MEAL! Never take it on an empty stomach because this might result to ulcer. (Chelated) Zinc works better on a full stomach.

I'm not entirely sure whether Zinc gives breakouts. Frankly, I never noticed it. But what I do know is that my acne slowly starts to diminish until it disappears.

If you're still not satisfied with Zinc, try them with Vitamins A,C,E and B Complex. These vitamins are known for skin repair and scarring capabilities and clearing acne as well. But be sure to only take them per vitamin or atleast in combination with Zinc. If you like start with Zinc and B Complex. These two work like a charm. But NEVER take them all at once. This may result to overdosage.

Hope this helps!

Im wondering how much zinc did you take, 50 mg or so ?

Edited by BD REMO7, 01 February 2011 - 08:02 PM.