Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Been A Long Time Coming...

134 posts in this topic

Hey. i just got my tamanu oil today. Its pretty oily and smells like an ointment lol. Slightly on the thicker side. I smell like a tree right now hahah.

Don't worry, i haven't forgotten about the challenge. I just need to figure out the best way to present it to you.

I really have my doubts about topicals be able to "stimulate" collagen production. From my current understanding of how collagen works, it takes a number of things to trigger it. I'm starting to think this whole collagen thing is more of a marketing ploy.

Retin-A is described as being able to "stimulate" collagen production and reduce fine lines/wrinkes. I've used it before and extensively and I really don't think it stimulates collagen. However, it does thin your skin, so it probably does reduce lines/wrinkles.

Anyways, I'm looking for a deeper solution. Something much more advanced. i'll let you know more in a bit ;)

You're still young, beautiful, and wrinkle-free haha. I'm not sure if the subject would even interest you at this point in your life. I don't want to bore. The worst challenge is an uninteresting challenge. This is your log.. keep doing what you need to do. i don't want to flood it with my interests.

Hey Roller,

I'd still love to do the research but some stuff has come up. I'm not going to be on as frequently.

If it helps, aging gracefully is sexier than anything else.

Hey Sarah. No worries. Its not that important. I just thought it'd be fun to get a little help. i'll just have to put in longer hours thats all.

Take care of what you have to take care of. This is your spot and your journal and I'm sure you'll be back when the time is right. I'm just here to appreciate your time and advice.

my only advice to you is... slow down there turbo girl. Sometimes you just have to slow down and wait for the rest of the world to catch up ;)

oh...and aging is the least or my worries, but you're probably right

Hey Sarah. No worries. Its not that important. I just thought it'd be fun to get a little help. i'll just have to put in longer hours thats all.

Take care of what you have to take care of. This is your spot and your journal and I'm sure you'll be back when the time is right. I'm just here to appreciate your time and advice.

my only advice to you is... slow down there turbo girl. Sometimes you just have to slow down and wait for the rest of the world to catch up ;)

oh...and aging is the least or my worries, but you're probably right

there you are...

I had a feeling you couldn't resist updating your own blog.

got the 15% mandelic acid in as well as the camelia oil. The mandelic acid is working fine for me so far. I like it. We'll see. The camelia oil is waaaay better than the tamanu oil. Very nice stuff.

QUOTE (Roller @ Sep 1 2011, 04:07 PM)

got the 15% mandelic acid in as well as the camelia oil. The mandelic acid is working fine for me so far. I like it. We'll see. The camelia oil is waaaay better than the tamanu oil. Very nice stuff.

I should say that the mandelic appeared fine for a while. The peeling almost came out of nowhere! Be careful.

Bah humbug, less is more! This might be a lessen I learned the hard way. But in a process-of-elimination type of experimentation, I just had to try. You know?

By the way, these products you have now...were they all recommended by Jen?

I just went and modified my order based on her recommendations. I hope this will work for me!

I'm also wearing not makeup now, not even BB cream. Tis scary, being makeup-free! My acne is there for everyone to see. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I do know that, so far, no one really treats me differently. And yet, you can't help but think...

update 8/8/11: I have sincerely realized that no one cares about acne, ever since stopping makeup. And those that do care, well, I shouldn't care about them. They obviously have some messed values. I've had acne since elementary school man. It's followed me from Junior High to High School. Acne is what made me want to study in the library instead of hang out in the quad. It's what made me want to watch a movie at home rather than go to prom. Now, I know that I can't be alone in this. Acne must have been just as much a bother for others as it was for me. I'm not alone in having felt like I wasn't attractive, wasn't pretty, with acne covering my face. You know, I tried forever to realize I would be pretty with or without acne. And now...it's taking me a long damn time to realize who gives a f*ck about being pretty anyway? There's going to be people who find me ugly, others who find me drop dead gorgeous (and I always look at them funny--like, have you lost yo damn mind?). But anyway, who really cares? People are people are people, are faces are eyes are ears, are smiles are minds are hearts. We are all the same in dealing with feeling the pressure of physical beauty, and we are all the same in the opportunity to reject the notion we need this.

Hey Kim! Just got through reading some of the posts on the first page, it's crazy to think how much we've tried eh? Today marks day 1 of Paleo for ya, maybe you could share what you ate/are eating today?

I wanted to let you know that I too tried many different GoW products (as well as many other products as well). Finally, what I realized, is that by using so many products, I had no idea what was working and what wasn't. So, what I did, was started to just wash my face once a day, in the evening, with a local honey (the lightest color you can find is supposedly better though) and then rinse with filtered water. I did not apply any moisturizer at all afterwards. The first week was the toughest as my skin felt dry and itchy. However, after 2 weeks, it started getting less dry. And now, my skin feels just slightly dry but only right after washing it. Well, my skin hasn't looked this good in ages! I really can't believe it! I saw my naturopath a couple of weeks ago and he suggested to leave the honey on for 4-5 minutes before washing it off as it really helps to fight bacteria. However, I can only do this once a week as I find it too irritating. You can try that though as my naturopath said that people have had tremendous success with this method.

Well, good luck - I really hope you find a solution that works for you!

I haven't read a ton of Dr. Kurt Harris, but I sure as hell like him. Here's a couple quotes from his blog about glucose and fructose, and why fructose ain't so pretty.

Glucose is a necessary internal fuel source and metabolite and it is also a food and the building block of foods that have the longest evolutionary history of any food that mammals use. It is a fact that we do not require glucose in the diet, and that we can make it from amino acids if we don't eat it. However, rather than viewing this as evidence that glucose is not important, we should view this as evidence that glucose is so metabolically important that we have evolved way to make sure we always have it. Fatty acids as fuel came later, and required the evolution of eukaryotic cells, which have the the mitochondria that probably started out as symbionts (helpful parasites) but now are the cellular furnaces that are the only way we can burn fatty acids as fuel.

Humans make and secrete amylase, the enzyme that allows digestion of starch, both in the saliva and in the exocrine pancreas. Amylase copies show some variability, with some human groups having perhaps 50% more activity than others. However, all humans have at least three times more activity than chimpanzees. It would seem a stretch to claim that any group of humans has “lost” the ability to eat starch, as that is the sole purpose of amylase – to hydrolyse starch, which is a polymer of glucose molecules, into glucose, which our small bowel has no difficulty absorbing. If we are not broken, glucose or starch that is consumed is absorbed and rapidly cleared by the liver and muscle cells. It can then be burned as fuel (preferentially) stored for later as glycogen (the body’s version of starch – another glucose polymer) or in some cases turned into fat – known as de novo lipogenesis. All this partitioning is done based on metabolic needs in a normal person. Arguments that humans are not “supposed” to eat any starch are, in my opinion, inconsistent with ethology (study of human societies), established paleoanthropology and medical science.

Glucose and starch in the DIET are not poisons in a healthy human.

In a healthy person, it makes little difference metabolically how fast the glucose is delivered. I do not think there is any pathology caused by the “glycemic index” of foods based on their content of glucose or its polymers.

So the first two carbohydrates in our scheme are versions of the phylogenetically oldest fuels that mammals use, fuels which are an absolute requirement of our brains. There is no good evidence that it is unnatural for humans to have foods that contain them as some portion of their diet.

hey do you follow the paleo diet?

also, did tea tree oil ever break you out?

DId you dilute it before using it 100 percent?

Only the sidebar header unambiguous of this template layer of ownership papers, followed around previous posts on another layer honourable below. Predominant content area categories included in the website and a unrivalled search however two colors our times – it’s either stainless or orange. Has marked header gist is a unparalleled, a woman of a indulgent topic sitting completely naked on best of the pages links. Elegant.

Custom sheet templet wordpress

Hiya, I've been reading your story here - seems you've really tried EVERYTHING... I'm on here keeping a journal about my journey towards a pick-free life, and i really recognise the the desperate brownie-in-the-middle-of-the-night kind of attempts at using new pruducts and peels and whatnot.

I have semi-sensitive skin, pretty dry as well, and acne mainly on my cheeks. I guess the acne itself is mild, but my picking has made the mess pretty bad. I'm going through a phase of "just fukk-it", I've not had any make-up on today and I'm gonna try not to use any tomorrow. I think make-up is really clogging my pores and ruining whatever healing is going on. So I'm tryyying to go more natural, but baby steps is my mambo :)

Oils always sound like a good idea to me, considering your latest experiment. Avocado and jojoba worked ok for my skin. Almond not so much, olive not at all. Oregano oil is my latest oil - it's a very strong anti-bacterial, a bit like tee trea oil. I mix a aobut 3-5 drops in 1/2 -1 cup of water and use as a toner a few times a week. Might work for some. And I have to agree about the Manuka - it's awesome! I think i need to get my hands one some once I finish my regular jar of honey

Best of wishes with everything!

Wanna see what happens when an obsessive picker quits and ditches a lot of products to heal? Check out my Acne.org journal!

I believe in: greens, breathing, Yogi tea, spirulina, riding bikes, pumpkins, water and things that smell nice

Face care routine:

Shiseido Extra Gentle foaming cleanser

Shiseido The Skincare Hydro Nourishing Softener (toner)

Shiseido The Skincare Protective moisturiser spf 15

Shiseido The Skincare Night Moisture Recharge

Mario Badescu Healing Cream

On and off using: Clinique blemish solution spot gel

Hiya, I've been reading your story here - seems you've really tried EVERYTHING... I'm on here keeping a journal about my journey towards a pick-free life, and i really recognise the the desperate brownie-in-the-middle-of-the-night kind of attempts at using new pruducts and peels and whatnot.

I have semi-sensitive skin, pretty dry as well, and acne mainly on my cheeks. I guess the acne itself is mild, but my picking has made the mess pretty bad. I'm going through a phase of "just fukk-it", I've not had any make-up on today and I'm gonna try not to use any tomorrow. I think make-up is really clogging my pores and ruining whatever healing is going on. So I'm tryyying to go more natural, but baby steps is my mambo smile.png

Oils always sound like a good idea to me, considering your latest experiment. Avocado and jojoba worked ok for my skin. Almond not so much, olive not at all. Oregano oil is my latest oil - it's a very strong anti-bacterial, a bit like tee trea oil. I mix a aobut 3-5 drops in 1/2 -1 cup of water and use as a toner a few times a week. Might work for some. And I have to agree about the Manuka - it's awesome! I think i need to get my hands one some once I finish my regular jar of honey

Best of wishes with everything!

I'm surprised I haven't read your log before, Sarah. Glad I found it now though. I must admit to only reading the first page and the last two at the moment. I glanced at a few bits in between but I will find time as soon as possible to read the rest. It never hurts to read what others are doing and it seems like you've been on quite a journey. Maybe there are things I could learn. And if nothing else, if someone takes the time to write about a subject I can relate to, it's only fair I take the time to read.

Straight off the first page, there was something which struck a chord with me:

Picking.

This has been such an interesting journey. I've met so many great people on this site. This site has been a place for me to come when I felt down, a place where I could count on finding a little hope amidst a bad day--a place where I never felt judged for my acne. In the real world, it feels as if I walk around with neon lights wrapped around my face, the elephant in the room.

Thoughts become words
Words become actions
Actions become habits
Habits become character
Character becomes destiny
It is time to change my destiny

You look like a guy I banged once.