12 replies to this topic

#1 mazzlet

mazzlet

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:46 AM

Hello

I used to lurk on these boards many years ago but have not ever posted before. I'm completely desperate and need some advice.

Some background: I had some mild acne as a teenager and used to treat it with BP - that worked fairly well for a few years. When I was 17 my acne started to get considerably worse (it seemed to almost happen overnight, out of nowhere) and would not respond to any OTC topicals. I should mention my acne was always pretty much only on my face.

I was prescribed minocycline by a derm which did next to nothing, and then tetracycline which cleared my skin, but the acne came back as before as soon as I stopped taking it 5 months later. It also left my with horrible side effects that I still suffer from today (terrible excema on my body). I ended up asking a GP to prescribe me Diane, which she reluctantly agreed to (I'm not sure why she didn't want me to take it). It worked complete miracles for my skin. I was completely clear for around 8 years. I have read on here that people say you shouldn't take it for such a long time, but my doctor (a different GP to the one who originally prescribed it) always reassured me it was safe.

Well a few months ago I ran out of my prescription and I was lazy about getting it filled again. I had actually forgotten what it was like to have acne and stupidly thought I might be over this problem by now. I can't actually remember how long I went without the pill - maybe 2 months - until I started breaking out again. It was only very very minor breakouts under my chin and on my neck (where I had never broken out before). But it scared my enough to get right back on the pill.

Well that was nearly 2 months ago, and my skin is terrible. I haven't stopped breaking out since then, and it seems to be getting worse. Although my acne before the pill was mostly on my cheeks, at the moment my cheeks are still pretty much 100% clear, but I'm breaking out with heaps (especially under the skin) completely all over my forehead, chin, and under chin. I know there is a similar thread on here about Yaz but I wondered if anyone had any experience getting back on Diane.

Will it work again a second time? Or does this mean it's not going to work? I can't remember how long it took to work the first time as it was 8 years ago, but I know I didn't have an IB like this.

I had actually forgotten how horrible acne makes me feel. I'm not handling this at all. Should I wait it out or make an appt with a dermo?

Thanks for any help, sorry this was a bit rambley.

#2 mazzlet

mazzlet

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:02 AM

noone? sad.gif

#3 mazzlet

mazzlet

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:22 AM

i thought there would be more people taking diane out there sad.gif

The good news is my skin has cleared up a little bit, with the help of tea tree oil gel. I still don't think the pill is doing anything though.

#4 Enlightened

Enlightened

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

It does take a few months for it to work properly. I used it when i was 17 and cant remember why i stopped but got back on it just before i my wedding and it seemed to take months for my skin to clear up again, i think it was around the 3rd or 4th month mark that i noticed my skin was clear. Dont give up on it, you already know it works. I had to stop taking it again because it made me depressed so will be trying Yaz after i stop breastfeeding. I'm lucky breastfeeding seems to keep my acne under control for now.
Morning
Paula's choice 1 step cleanser
Paula's choice 2%BHA liquid (leave for 3 mins and wash off)
Paula's choice 8%AHA gel (leave for 3 mins and wash off)
paula's choice HydraLight Moisture-Infusing Lotion
lily lolo mineral make up

Evening
Paula's choice 1 step cleanser
Paula's choice 2%BHA liquid (leave for 3 mins and wash off)
0.30 retinol cream (Neova) (on forehead cheeks and chin)
paula's choice HydraLight Moisture-Infusing Lotion (on nose around lips and eyes)

#5 mazzlet

mazzlet

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (Enlightened @ Oct 30 2010, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It does take a few months for it to work properly. I used it when i was 17 and cant remember why i stopped but got back on it just before i my wedding and it seemed to take months for my skin to clear up again, i think it was around the 3rd or 4th month mark that i noticed my skin was clear. Dont give up on it, you already know it works. I had to stop taking it again because it made me depressed so will be trying Yaz after i stop breastfeeding. I'm lucky breastfeeding seems to keep my acne under control for now.

thankyou so much. this gives me some hope smile.gif

#6 cat eyes

cat eyes

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:08 PM

Hi there. I was the individual who wrote the post on Yasmin wondering if it would work a second time around.

Trust me, I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I also thought I was over my acne problem and was only off Zovia for 3 weeks and my face exploded. I went back on the Yasmin which originally cleared up my face (BC was the miracle cure for me too). I am on month three and while it is keeping my face pretty clear, I have bad acne under my jawline (where I never had it before). It is very very slowly getting better, but I have a feeling it's going to be another month (possibly longer) before I see it clear up completely.

Hang in there. My pharmacist and gynecologist both said that if it worked the first time around there is no reason why it won't work again unless you underwent a significant change to your hormone levels (something major like pregnancy). I think once you go off BC your hormones surge, and it takes months to get them back under control again. It took my friend 6-8 months to get clear after starting BC.

So hang in there. If you need support just PM me. I have spent many nights crying over this and being angry at myself for going off my BC. Acne is embarassing and painful!

#7 mazzlet

mazzlet

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (cat eyes @ Nov 1 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there. I was the individual who wrote the post on Yasmin wondering if it would work a second time around.

Trust me, I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I also thought I was over my acne problem and was only off Zovia for 3 weeks and my face exploded. I went back on the Yasmin which originally cleared up my face (BC was the miracle cure for me too). I am on month three and while it is keeping my face pretty clear, I have bad acne under my jawline (where I never had it before). It is very very slowly getting better, but I have a feeling it's going to be another month (possibly longer) before I see it clear up completely.

Hang in there. My pharmacist and gynecologist both said that if it worked the first time around there is no reason why it won't work again unless you underwent a significant change to your hormone levels (something major like pregnancy). I think once you go off BC your hormones surge, and it takes months to get them back under control again. It took my friend 6-8 months to get clear after starting BC.

So hang in there. If you need support just PM me. I have spent many nights crying over this and being angry at myself for going off my BC. Acne is embarassing and painful!

hey cat eyes

thanks for this! it made me feel better again. it definitely is so embarrassing and painful, i think having to deal with it as an adult when all my friends have perfect skin is worse than when i was younger. luckily i haven't had to go out much (i'm crazy busy studying), so i can hide my face from the world most of the time.

my acne is quite alot better; i've been using tea tree gel and it's helping. the active acne is starting to dry up, but my skin tone overall is pretty awful. however, i gotten to the point where with makeup i can almost pass myself off as a clear-skinned person. i've got heaps of jawline acne too, and i've never ever had that before. in fact, that's where my initial breakout happened after i stopped the pill. it was in such an usual spot/configuration for me that i thought it was a rash at first, rather than acne.

i've just started my third pack of pills, and i've got more hope they will work again now. but i'm so mad at myself for going off the pill in the first place. which makes me wonder what will happen when i want to have kids...i dread the day i have to go off the pill again.

how is your skin going? hope things are getting better for you too.

#8 Bubbles24

Bubbles24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

Hi there.

I was recently in the exact same situation after going off Diane-35ED. I had been taking the pill for around 5 years and had been completely and utterly clear (besides the odd NORMAL spot) for that entire time and acne was no longer a part of my life. I am getting married in January and thought that I should get off of the pill and clear the hormones out of my system because I wanted to try for a baby as soon as the wedding was done with.

LUCKILY for me, I did this with 8 months to go as for the first three months my acne got progressively worse until it was to the point that I was getting really large cystic acne (calling in sick to work, avoiding peole, not going out some days). The worst was that my fiance planned a surprise trip and I broke out right beforehand and I refused to go. I looked so horrible.

This prompted me into immediately recommencing on Diane-35ED, and going to my GP and asking for a referral to a dermatologist. I am still taking Diane-35ED & have also been started on a low dose course of accutane in order to hopefully put my acne in remission so that I can get off the pill in future without having a break out. Although the Diane WORKS it doesn't solve the underlying problem. I urge you to go to the dermatologist now and speak with them about other more permenant solutions NOW so that you don't have to wait months on end when you do want to have a baby.... because it's not a nice situation to be in watching your friends pregnant and having something holding you back.

#9 mazzlet

mazzlet

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (Bubbles24 @ Nov 9 2010, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there.

I was recently in the exact same situation after going off Diane-35ED. I had been taking the pill for around 5 years and had been completely and utterly clear (besides the odd NORMAL spot) for that entire time and acne was no longer a part of my life. I am getting married in January and thought that I should get off of the pill and clear the hormones out of my system because I wanted to try for a baby as soon as the wedding was done with.

LUCKILY for me, I did this with 8 months to go as for the first three months my acne got progressively worse until it was to the point that I was getting really large cystic acne (calling in sick to work, avoiding peole, not going out some days). The worst was that my fiance planned a surprise trip and I broke out right beforehand and I refused to go. I looked so horrible.

This prompted me into immediately recommencing on Diane-35ED, and going to my GP and asking for a referral to a dermatologist. I am still taking Diane-35ED & have also been started on a low dose course of accutane in order to hopefully put my acne in remission so that I can get off the pill in future without having a break out. Although the Diane WORKS it doesn't solve the underlying problem. I urge you to go to the dermatologist now and speak with them about other more permenant solutions NOW so that you don't have to wait months on end when you do want to have a baby.... because it's not a nice situation to be in watching your friends pregnant and having something holding you back.

hey bubbles

i agree with you, i do think it's important to do something to actually fix the underlying problem. how long were you back on diane before you saw results again? I am on the fourth day of my third pack. my skin is better today than it has been since i got off the pill (lots of skin coloured that aren't that noticeable, 2 inflamed pimples, but still heaps of red marks from previous breakouts. thank god, no cysts or pain anymore), but it's still nowhere near as perfect as it was when i was on diane last time. i'm still worried it wont work to the same extent this time.

i don't really know what i can do to properly treat my acne though since i refuse to go on accutane (my brother got bad depression from it several years ago). i assume tretonion gel can't be used whilst pregnant either, so i dont have that many options for when i want to have kids (i also hate using BP as it's too harsh for my skin and ages it prematurely).

#10 Bubbles24

Bubbles24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:14 AM

Hey,
Yeah I know what you mean about there not really being a fix for the problem, but I am desperate and to the point that the risks associated with accutane really weren't outweighed by the underlying problem. With acne I wasn't living my life to the fullest and I was avoiding people and calling in sick to work when I felt down about my skin. I guess there is a point in everyones treatment where we have to make decisions about what we are willing to go through and what we are not. My derm did also suggest a vita A based topical and antibiotics, maybe this is something you could discuss with yours?

It has taken about three months to get back into the swing of Diane, last month was better, but not 100 per cent. I had a huge IB when I started back on it too. The worse breakout I have ever had.

Edited by Bubbles24, 10 November 2010 - 12:15 AM.

#11 mazzlet

mazzlet

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

Just thought I would update this thread. It has now been 9 months since I went back on Diane and I can happily say I am 100% clear. Even when I do absolutely nothing to my face (no washing, no treatment, no moisturiser, nothing), it always 100% clear. Conversely, whatever product I use it never breaks me out.

FINALLLYYY:)

#12 JDR

JDR

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting though I've read these boards before. This was exactly what I was looking for. I went on Diane 35 Oct 2009 after battling acne all my life. I'd used topical creams but was hesitant on any drugs until I actually needed birth control pills. I was on Diane for just over a year and decided I should see if a different pill would work bc of the bad rep Diane used to have. My GP suggested tricyclen since I had tried Yasmin before Diane. I only took Yasmin for 3 days and had to stop bc it was giving me crazy heart palpitations. I was on tricyclen for 5 months. I think the first 2-3 my skin was alright and then slowly I started breaking out more and more and couldn't handle it so I saw my derm and she said go back to what works. So I'm on day 5 of pack 3 and my skin is still awful. I moved up my next derm appointment so it's in 2 weeks bc I'm going crazy. lol

Then I decided to check here and see if anyone had a similar experience. I'm glad things will get better, I just hope it's soon! I'm also on topical Stieva-A (Tretinoin cream) and idk if that' helping or making things worse. I'll see what the derm suggests. I'm also going to talk to her about the future bc that's something I've thought a lot about after reading (and now experiencing) the breakout after coming off Diane. Sure I'll be fine for the next 5 years or so, but I do not want to experience this when I'm in my 30's and want to get pregnant! It's bad enough now in my 20's when most ppl have clear skin. I feel for those of you who experienced this. Is there anyway to decrease the IB when coming off Diane? Has anyone had success? And does your skin eventually clear after Diane? I have a friend who's been off Diane for over a year and her skin still isn't the same sad.gif

This is so discouraging. I can see myself in a situation similar to you, Bubbles24, calling in sick, hiding from the world, not really living your life. I was already there when a doctor who didn't know anything about acne and birth control put me on ortho-tricyclen and I experienced the worst breakouts of my life for 3 months till I canned it.

Sorry for all the negativity, I'm just feeling really helpless about the situation. I'll probably post again after my derm appt if she says anything significant.

#13 renee121

renee121

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:46 AM

Ok, so I've read this thread, and also an old thread on Diane 35, all are giving a bunch of horror stories. I can relate.

I am 25 years old (nearly 26), and I was prescribed Diane 35 ED in 1999 -200 ish, so I was on it for 8 years. I only had mild teenage acne, but the reactions of those around me was enough to make me terrified of not being on Diane. I actually started taking Brenda 35, a generic version, which is exactly the same, for most of the 8 years.

Brenda (Diane) cleared up my skin like you wouldn't believe. I had the most beautiful skin for a looong time.

So, a few years in to my relationship with a wonderful man, he warned me of the side effects of the BCP and we decided I'd go off it.

I went off it and this is what happened - with the first two weeks, I had vertigo, extreme nausea, and I was horribly sick and out of my mind (crazy) by the 3rd week. My poor boyfriend stuck by me though!

About 7-8 weeksin, I noticed that the heart palpitations I had and the yeast infections I had were less frequent.

Again though, about 8-12 weeks in, one night, I lost feeling in both of my thighs, and couldn't feel anything in my left arm. I thought I had some neurological disorder, though I knew it was due to my pill.

My skin was clear for about 6-9 months, bar some serious rashes on my face and neck.

Lo and behold - yes, a week out of my 25th birthday party, I got 3 large, deep cystic acne on my left cheek. I was like, what the f***! Of course, I was upset because I had to turn up to my own party like that!

From then on, each month, I'd develop large cystic acne along my jaw line and on my chin, and on the side of my forehead.

I went off Brenda 35 on the 25th July 2009 - it's now the 20th July 2011 - it's been two years. Since the 9th month, I've suffered this cystic acne, and it's also all over my neck and back, my chest and my shoulders and sometimes even on my forearms.

You know what was interesting though? 6 weeks ago, my boyfriend convinced me to STOP putting anything at ALL on my face - no creams, no moisturizer, no exfoliating, just - well, nothing.

And I didn't get a SINGLE pimple on my face for 6 weeks.

Until...about 5 days ago, I got cystic acne again, on my jawline and one on my cheek, they are itchy as hell!

So this "relapse", or what have you, has lead me once again to these forums.

And today is the first day of my green juice fast. I'm going to do a fast, and I'm almost 100% certain it's going to fix it.

Since 2009, I have been uber healthy - I drink green drinks, don't eat lollies, nothing like that.

The result is that, despite my cycstic acne, the CONDITION of my skin is beautiful. That's the best I've aimed for - PLUS some YSL concealer, which has helped me a lot.

Yes, I have some craters, some scarring on my cheeks from where the most severe ones were, as well as red marks. But I have to say that over time, the spots on my face have become less severe.

A juice fast will help. It's NOT conventional, but it will help, at the very least. At the best, it will cure your acne for good.

If fasting can cure gangrene on a man, then it can cure your acne, yes, even if it's hormonal. You just have to stick it out.

But NEVER GO BACK ON ANY DRUG AGAIN. You will make things worse for yourself, and your health - your reproductive health, your happiness, your sense of aliveness, and of course your sex drive are worth 100 times more than the stacked up build up of toxins in your body from the drug.

Just focus on cleansing the system!