4 replies to this topic

#1 mboona

mboona

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:50 PM

does tretinoin or clindamycin lose its potency and effectiveness after the expiration date??

#2 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

There's 'wiggle-room' in any expiration date but I don't know how long they're really effective after the expiration. You could contact the manufacturer. Most likely they'll say 'Toss it after the expiration date." tongue.gif

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#3 mboona

mboona

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:04 PM

well of course the manufactures will say throw it out, but i want to hear from those who have used expired Ziana or clindaymcin or tretinoin. The reason I want to know is that some sample tubes I've been using has been expired since January of 2010 !! I dont know if it was a coincidence that Ziana stopped working as effectively on my chin, or if the closer to the expiration date the more likely it wouldnt work as well. (btw i was clear for almost 1 year on Ziana and still remain clear on my forehead from it, but my chin started to not work, and this was a few months BEFORE the expiration date)

#4 chemist

chemist

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:42 AM

I have found that older Ziana - especially expired Ziana - does not work for me AT ALL. I suspect it is the clindamycin that expires first, since I still get some increased skin turnover with expired Ziana, but I do not get acne-killing antibiotic effects. This occurred even with never-opened expired tubes of Ziana. I suspect that the antibiotic component of Ziana, clindamycin phosphate, is not entirely stable within the Ziana formulation, and that dictates the expiration date. If Ziana were more affordable, the accelerated expiration date would not be a problem. Unfortunately, Ziana is quite expensive...

QUOTE (mboona @ Oct 20 2010, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well of course the manufactures will say throw it out, but i want to hear from those who have used expired Ziana or clindaymcin or tretinoin. The reason I want to know is that some sample tubes I've been using has been expired since January of 2010 !! I dont know if it was a coincidence that Ziana stopped working as effectively on my chin, or if the closer to the expiration date the more likely it wouldnt work as well. (btw i was clear for almost 1 year on Ziana and still remain clear on my forehead from it, but my chin started to not work, and this was a few months BEFORE the expiration date)

#5 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

In my experience, retinoids lose their effectiveness if not fresh. If it has expired, I wouldn't bother with it. It probably will not do you any good.

We're all in this together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users