Photo

Blueberries VS Grapes ?

riboflavin niacin calcium magnesium zinc low glycemic phenol depression

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 blueberry~san

blueberry~san

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

Both of them have a very great antioxidant properties. Still, they are on the top list of fruits containing the most powerful Anti-inflammatory and Antioxidant supplies. A pure tremendous rival for its great nutrition for skin. Here's a short brief record for both toughest anti-disease fighter :

boogie.gif Blueberries

Blueberries are sold fresh or processed as individually quick frozen (IQF) fruit, purée, juice, or dried or infused berries which in turn may be used in a variety of consumer goods such as jellies, jams, blueberry pies, muffins, snack foods, and cereals.

Blueberry jam is made from blueberries, sugar, water, and fruit pectin. Premium blueberry jam, usually made from wild blueberries, is common in Maine, Ontario, Quebec, and British Columbia.

Blueberries have a diverse range of micronutrients, with notably high levels (relative to respective Dietary Reference Intakes) of the essential dietary mineral manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin K and dietary fiber. One serving provides a relatively low glycemic load score of 4 out of 100 per day.

Nutrients and phytochemicals

Especially in wild species, blueberries contain anthocyanins, other antioxidant pigments and various phytochemicals possibly having a role in reducing risks of some diseases, including inflammation and certain cancers.

Research on the potential anti-disease effects of blueberries

Researchers have shown that blueberry anthocyanins, proanthocyanidins, resveratrol, flavonols, and tannins inhibit mechanisms of cancer cell development and inflammation in vitro. Similar to red grape, some blueberry species contain in their skins significant levels of resveratrol, a phytochemical.

Although most studies below were conducted using the highbush cultivar of blueberries (V. corymbosum), content of polyphenol antioxidants and anthocyanins in lowbush (wild) blueberries (V. angustifolium) exceeds values found in highbush species.

At a 2007 symposium on berry health benefits were reports showing consumption of blueberries (and similar berry fruits including cranberries) may alleviate the cognitive decline occurring in Alzheimer's disease and other conditions of aging.

A chemical isolated from blueberry leaves can block replication of the hepatitis C virus and might help to delay disease spread in infected individuals.

Feeding blueberries to animals lowers brain damage in experimental stroke. Research at Rutgers has also shown that blueberries may help prevent urinary tract infections.

Other animal studies found that blueberry consumption lowered cholesterol and total blood lipid levels, possibly affecting symptoms of heart disease. Additional research showed that blueberry consumption in rats altered glycosaminoglycans which are vascular cell components affecting control of blood pressure.

A study soon to be published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry found that supplementation with wild blueberry juice enhanced memory and learning in older adults, while reducing blood sugar and symptoms of depression.

wub.gif Grapes

French Paradox

Comparing diets among Western countries, researchers have discovered that although the French tend to eat higher levels of animal fat, surprisingly the incidence of heart disease remains low in France. This phenomenon has been termed the French Paradox, and is thought to occur from protective benefits of regularly consuming red wine. Apart from potential benefits of alcohol itself, including reduced platelet aggregation and vasodilation, polyphenols (e.g., resveratrol) mainly in the grape skin provide other suspected health benefits, such as:

* Alteration of molecular mechanisms in blood vessels, reducing susceptibility to vascular damage
* Decreased activity of angiotensin, a systemic hormone causing blood vessel constriction that would elevate blood pressure
* Increased production of the vasodilator hormone, nitric oxide (endothelium-derived relaxing factor)

Although adoption of wine consumption is not recommended by some health authorities, a significant volume of research indicates moderate consumption, such as one glass of red wine a day for women and two for men, may confer health benefits. Emerging evidence is that wine polyphenols like resveratrol provide physiological benefit whereas alcohol itself may have protective effects on the cardiovascular system.

Resveratrol

Grape phytochemicals such as resveratrol (a polyphenol antioxidant), have been positively linked to inhibiting any cancer, heart disease, degenerative nerve disease, viral infections and mechanisms of Alzheimer's disease.

Protection of the genome through antioxidant actions may be a general function of resveratrol. In laboratory studies, resveratrol bears a significant transcriptional overlap with the beneficial effects of calorie restriction in heart, skeletal muscle and brain. Both dietary interventions inhibit gene expression associated with heart and skeletal muscle aging, and prevent age-related heart failure.

Resveratrol is the subject of several human clinical trials, among which the most advanced is a one year dietary regimen in a Phase III study of elderly patients with Alzheimer's disease.

Synthesized by many plants, resveratrol apparently serves antifungal and other defensive properties. Dietary resveratrol has been shown to modulate the metabolism of lipids and to inhibit oxidation of low-density lipoproteins and aggregation of platelets.

Resveratrol is found in wide amounts among grape varieties, primarily in their skins and seeds which, in muscadine grapes, have about one hundred times higher concentration than pulp. Fresh grape skin contains about 50 to 100 micrograms of resveratrol per gram

Anthocyanins and other phenolics

Anthocyanins tend to be the main polyphenolics in purple grapes whereas flavan-3-ols (e.g., catechins) are the more abundant phenolic in white varieties. Total phenolic content, an index of dietary antioxidant strength, is higher in purple varieties due almost entirely to anthocyanin density in purple grape skin compared to absence of anthocyanins in white grape skin. It is these anthocyanins that are attracting the efforts of scientists to define their properties for human health. Phenolic content of grape skin varies with cultivar, soil composition, climate, geographic origin, and cultivation practices or exposure to diseases, such as fungal infections.

Red wine offers health benefits more so than white because many beneficial compounds are present in grape skin, and only red wine is fermented with skins. The amount of fermentation time a wine spends in contact with grape skins is an important determinant of its resveratrol content. Ordinary non-muscadine red wine contains between 0.2 and 5.8 mg/L, depending on the grape variety, because it is fermented with the skins, allowing the wine to absorb the resveratrol. By contrast, a white wine contains lower phenolic contents because it is fermented after removal of skins.

Wines produced from muscadine grapes may contain more than 40 mg/L, an exceptional phenolic content. In muscadine skins, ellagic acid, myricetin, quercetin, kaempferol, and trans-resveratrol are major phenolics. Contrary to previous results, ellagic acid and not resveratrol is the major phenolic in muscadine grapes.

The flavonols syringetin, syringetin 3-O-galactoside, laricitrin and laricitrin 3-O-galactoside are also found in purple grape but absent in white grape.

Seed constituents

Since the 1980s, biochemical and medical studies have demonstrated significant antioxidant properties of grape seed oligomeric proanthocyanidins. Together with tannins, polyphenols and polyunsaturated fatty acids, these seed constituents display inhibitory activities against several experimental disease models, including cancer, heart failure and other disorders of oxidative stress.

Grape seed oil from crushed seeds is used in cosmeceuticals and skincare products for many perceived health benefits. Grape seed oil is notable for its high contents of tocopherols (vitamin E), phytosterols, and polyunsaturated fatty acids such as linoleic acid, oleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid.

Concord grape juice

Commercial juice products from Concord grapes have been applied in medical research studies, showing potential benefits against the onset stage of cancer, platelet aggregation and other risk factors of atherosclerosis, loss of physical performance and mental acuity during aging and hypertension in humans.

NUTRITION FACTS

-Blueberries, raw-

Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)

Energy 239 kJ (57 kcal)
Carbohydrates 14.5 g
Dietary fiber 2.4 g
Fat 0.3 g
Protein 0.7 g
Vitamin A 54 IU
- lutein and zeaxanthin 80 μg
Thiamine (Vit. B1) 0.04 mg (3%)
Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.04 mg (3%)
Niacin (Vit. B3) 0.42 mg (3%)
Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.1 mg (2%)
Vitamin B6 0.1 mg (8%)
Folate (Vit. B9) 6 μg (2%)
Vitamin C 10 mg (17%)
Vitamin E 0.6 mg (4%)
Calcium 6 mg (1%)
Iron 0.3 mg (2%)
Magnesium 6 mg (2%)
Phosphorus 12 mg (2%)
Potassium 77 mg (2%)
Zinc 0.2 mg (2%)
manganese 0.3 mg 20%
vitamin K 19 mcg 24%

-Grapes, purple or green-

Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)

Energy 288 kJ (69 kcal)
Carbohydrates 18.1 g
Sugars 15.48 g
Dietary fiber 0.9 g
Fat 0.16 g
Protein 0.72 g
Thiamine (Vit. B1) 0.069 mg (5%)
Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.07 mg (5%)
Niacin (Vit. B3) 0.188 mg (1%)
Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.05 mg (1%)
Vitamin B6 0.086 mg (7%)
Folate (Vit. B9) 2 μg (1%)
Vitamin B12 0 μg (0%)
Vitamin C 10.8 mg (18%)
Vitamin K 22 μg (21%)
Calcium 10 mg (1%)
Iron 0.36 mg (3%)
Magnesium 7 mg (2%)
Manganese 0.071 mg (4%)
Phosphorus 20 mg (3%)
Potassium 191 mg (4%)
Sodium 3.02 mg (0%)
Zinc 0.07 mg (1%)

Personal Experience

I have amazing story for grapes, i guess you won't believe me. well at that time, when i was at my first year of college, i didn't enough time to eat breakfast, it seemed that there wasn't too much option to eat in the morning. So when i opened and checked the Refrigerator whether there's something to eat, and i knew it had to be fast, i found grapes and non-fat milk instead of bread or cereal. So i ate both of them, 5-10 grapes and a glass of milk. And realized, in the end of my first week eating both of them continuously every morning, my face was clear but still had oil, no active cyst and pustule, just a smooth complexion skin.

Now for the blueberry. I love that fruit so much. I usually found blueberry on my jam, my refrigerator and even my bread. so here's the story :

On a couple of weeks i found that my mother had bought lots fresh blueberries from the market. On that time, i rarely found any fruit in my house, so i gave a try to eat some of it. Well the result after continuously eating blueberries everyday, i realized , i still had zits or acne, but there wasn't any Inflammation. I almost didn't believe myself, There wasn't any red one cyst on my face !

The Question

I have shared one of my stories about grapes and blueberries. So could you share me about your experience about grapes or blueberries curing acne ? Is grapes or blueberries the cure for acne ?

Edited by blueberry~san, 17 October 2010 - 06:12 AM.

#2 Naturalis

Naturalis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:45 AM

Another source states 6,4g sugar per 100g for blueberries. And that's probably closer to truth as wild blueberries are not that sweet. Domesticated stuff may be different though.

I'm quite sceptic about the whole antioxidant theory. I can get wild blueberries so of course I choose them.

Comparing diets among Western countries, researchers have discovered that although the French tend to eat higher levels of animal fat, surprisingly the incidence of heart disease remains low in France. This phenomenon has been termed the French Paradox, and is thought to occur from protective benefits of regularly consuming red wine. Apart from potential benefits of alcohol itself, including reduced platelet aggregation and vasodilation, polyphenols (e.g., resveratrol) mainly in the grape skin provide other suspected health benefits, such as:

Animal fats don't cause heart disease.

#3 JonoB

JonoB

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:07 AM

Great thread ^^

I never used to eat any fruit. Like, NONE. Then I discovered a smoothie maker biggrin.gif

Wack a load of fruit in there, (love blueberry's/grapes) mix it up, add an ice cube of two and pour about 400ml of 'Tropicana Multivitamin' juice in there (which coincidently is packed full of vitamins, check it out) and drink that every day! Brilliant for skin!

I am a bit worried about sugar content..although the benefits of eating these fruits outweigh the negative impact of sugar??

Regards,

#4 Naturalis

Naturalis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:23 AM

I am a bit worried about sugar content..although the benefits of eating these fruits outweigh the negative impact of sugar??

Not for me. Recently I tried 2-4 sugary fruits per daily, mainly bananas and started breaking out again.

#5 Revelry

Revelry

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:39 AM

I love grapes! Don't really like blueberries though..

#6 Mini Me.

Mini Me.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:52 AM

hey, what colour grapes?

#7 JonoB

JonoB

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE (Naturalis @ Oct 17 2010, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not for me. Recently I tried 2-4 sugary fruits per daily, mainly bananas and started breaking out again.

That may have something to do with your sensitivity I believe. Try taking chromium supplements. Helped me.

200mcg 2x daily.

Regard,

#8 blueberry~san

blueberry~san

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE (Mini Me. @ Oct 17 2010, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey, what colour grapes?

Grapes, purple or green surprised.gif, i guess there are only two colors represent grapes eusa_angel.gif

#9 Naturalis

Naturalis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:09 AM

That may have something to do with your sensitivity I believe. Try taking chromium supplements. Helped me.

200mcg 2x daily.

Regard,

It took a week or so to start breaking out from the sugar. Same thing happens with other carbs like rice and potatoes too. I also avoid supplements as much as I can.

#10 blueberry~san

blueberry~san

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:15 AM

Come on guys, it's just a small amount of fructose wink.gif . Let's see the Resveratrol from either grapes and blueberries proud.gif !

#11 sweetpotato

sweetpotato

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:35 AM

I have eaten 400g of frozen blueberries everyday in the evening with 3-4 bananas and casein powder for months. Love them. smile.gif

#12 blueberry~san

blueberry~san

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (sweetpotato @ Oct 17 2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have eaten 400g of frozen blueberries everyday in the evening with 3-4 bananas and casein powder for months. Love them. smile.gif

Then...how is the result so far biggrin.gif ? Is it doing something to your skin ? Is there any changes to your Oil gland or your skin complexion eusa_think.gif ?

#13 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:49 AM

wild blueberries hands down! I usually buy frozen organic wild blueberries. They're tiny , but very high in antioxidant.

Edited by EddieE, 17 October 2010 - 07:51 AM.

Best way to make your skin smooth and clear eventually:

Plant-based diet is the best medicine for everything.. That's if you consume at least 80% raw, mainly from veggies and fruits.
Exercising: cardio is great for skin and lifting a bit.
Thinking positive and try not to stress or think about acne.

I am doing these and my skin is currently very smooth and clearing up!
I am a vegan raw 100%. I feel better, have more energy, saving animals a year, glow skin, I look younger, etc.

#14 sweetpotato

sweetpotato

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (blueberry~san @ Oct 17 2010, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then...how is the result so far biggrin.gif ? Is it doing something to your skin ? Is there any changes to your Oil gland or your skin complexion eusa_think.gif ?

Well my skin is definitely not oily. Not sure if the blueberries have done anything to the oil glands. My skin tone is much better though and I feel healthy...

I eat them because I like the taste. biggrin.gif

#15 blueberry~san

blueberry~san

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (EddieE @ Oct 17 2010, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wild blueberries hands down! I usually buy frozen organic wild blueberries. They're tiny , but very high in antioxidant.

By the way, Blueberries are likely more expensive than grapes. Although it counts, yeah....blueberries has something special ,right ? The taste, the benefits, and many more. And truly grapes are cheaper, but don't forget grapes also have lots resveratrol than blueberries

Blueberries have about twice as much resveratrol as bilberries, but there is great regional variation. These fruits have less than ten percent of the resveratrol of grapes. Cooking or heat processing of these berries will contribute to the degradation of resveratrol, reducing it by up to half.

Edited by blueberry~san, 17 October 2010 - 08:11 AM.

#16 blueberry~san

blueberry~san

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (sweetpotato @ Oct 17 2010, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (blueberry~san @ Oct 17 2010, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well my skin is definitely not oily. Not sure if the blueberries have done anything to the oil glands. My skin tone is much better though and I feel healthy...

I eat them because I like the taste. biggrin.gif

Wow..... eusa_clap.gif !. Indeed it has something to do with it eusa_dance.gif !, I also noticed that when i used to eat it regularly wink.gif ,but i'm still a little bit confuse why these berries can alter or affect oil gland.

Edited by blueberry~san, 17 October 2010 - 08:25 AM.

#17 CheyCheyenne

CheyCheyenne

Lightsnoise

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (Naturalis @ Oct 17 2010, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It took a week or so to start breaking out from the sugar. Same thing happens with other carbs like rice and potatoes too. I also avoid supplements as much as I can.

I agree. It always takes a week.

I don't have any inflammation and I never even touch a piece of fruit. Fruit is overrated in general and I used to eat a TON of it back when I was breaking out. Not to mention it never kept me full...
I can't be perfect.

#18 CelloIsLove

CelloIsLove

Pedo-stache <3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (Naturalis @ Oct 17 2010, 05:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder why. rolleyes.gif

I'm CelloIsLove.

Here's the problem I see:

People want to heal their acne through diet and lifestyle. Great. But then they get obsessed only with their skin and not how they FEEL. Physically. Emotionally. What is the quality of your life? It's not directly connected to your flesh, I can tell you that. Then obsess over their food. They hear "diet" and think low-fat, juicing, fasting, cleansing, starving. You're young. Do you really think you have liver failure? Do you really think you need more fiber?

Paleo changed my life. It's the only lifestyle that ever helped me-not just with my skin, but with my life. My happiness. My fitness. It says, "Eat good quality meats. Eat lots of veggies. Eat fruit too. Some nuts. Then go outside. Walk around. See the world. Play with friends. Lift heavy things. Get some sun. Then go sleep, wake up and do it again." What that means to me is to live an enjoyable, happy, dynamic life where I can be the best me for the people I love, not anxious, not angry, not depressed.

Be gentle to your skin, your heart, your tummy, and your life.

Get out there and live.

And also eat bacon.

#19 blueberry~san

blueberry~san

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

Antioxidant and Anti-inflammation properties from grapes and blueberries are actually can bear all of inflammatory acne and prone skin. If you couldn't handle the sugar impact or the fructose, try the blueberries one. No sugar or very-very low calories fruits from the berries family smile.gif

#20 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:38 PM

It doesn't matter, which of those, or many other antioxident rich foods have the highest amounts. Different antioxidents do different things. You need a variety.

Don't fall for any hype and just consume a variety of colorful, flavorful plant foods, herbs, spices and teas.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!