Photo

If you think you're IR and think your IR..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#61 Catreena

Catreena

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:23 AM

SweetJade,

Sorry I didn't notice your post asking about meds I'm on.

I'm not on anything but low carb diet right now (not the Atkins thing, just cutiing down and changing a few things) , and of course the Keflex for the acne. I go back to my Dr. on Wednesday to find out where to go from here. I hope they stop the Keflex though because long term Antibiotics scare me and I've been on it for 4 months now and my script goes on for several more months. Anyway I have no clue aht my Dr. will choose to do from here.

Catreena

#62 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:54 PM

I don't think using an antibiotic for an extended period of time is necessarily bad, especially if you're using a fairly mild one such as keflex - The ones you want to avoid are the sulfa and pencillins, they are the ones used most frequently in life threatening situations from what I understand.....the nice thing about the penicillins is that antibiotic resistance to them can almost always be overcome with a higher dosage - the same is not true for any other antibiotic.

#63 John Smith

John Smith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2004 - 11:51 PM

Sweetjade,

i think you've posted before that you had other skin problems also... like eczema or something.. did changing your diet help with those problems?

#64 idealist

idealist

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:54 PM

john smith,

regarding your question to sweet jade about diet and other skin probs...

i've been on a number of other message boards (diabetes, PCOS, hirutism(excess body/face hair), excessive sweating) and MANY, MANY people have indicated their symptoms related to these "ailments" were lessened or CURED by diet. in particular, low simple carb, low sugar.

it's taken me 27 years to realize food that comes in a box or can is not "real food" and not very healthy. i'm a firm believer that diet causes many ailments, not just acne. acne is just one way it which your body is letting you know something ain't right. just as getting overly fat, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.

#65 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2004 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (John Smith @ Aug 29 2004, 11:38 PM)
Sweetjade,

i think you've posted before that you had other skin problems also... like eczema or something.. did changing your diet help with those problems?

John,
Yup all of those things that Idealist said are possible. However for me, the only other skin problems I suffered from were occasional dry patches (the "natural" non drying soap fixed that), recent onset of dandruff (decreasing with avoidance of fried fats/trans fats) and ingrown hairs / pseudofoliculities. I stil have the pseudofolliculities and it's something that can also be blamed on bacteria and inflammation. So to avoid it I can't wax (darn) or if I do I must use exfoilating products afterwards to try and prevent it (that's my soon to be tested theory).

Oh unless you mean the acanthosis nigricans. As for that it seems to have lightened up, but isn't entirely gone. I've been reading that tyrosine phosphatase is responsible for melanin production and since I tend to hyperigment anyway, I may give R-ALA a try as it supresses this enzyme some as well as helps with blood sugar. It's all in theory as to whether it will help with the pigmention as nothing has connected ALA and melanin together, but it won't hurt to try. ;-)

I'm also dabbling with something called Mega Folic Acid Therapy (estrogenic). Since BC helped reduce my SHBG and a woman on the PCOS board mentioned that this helped reduce her hirsutism by 90% I thought I'd give it a try. Not to mention I've heard that folic acid also helps with hyperpigmention and it seems to help. I take a combo of Boron (3 - 18mg), PABA (1-2g) and Folic Acid (40 - 60mg) I bought them in bulk powder form so I now have years of this stuff even at the max doses! Right now I've stopped taking it but once I figure out how to mix each of these together in one container for easier use, I'll start back.

Could only find 2 studies that arent too relevent though:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....st_uids=7350062
http://www.ncbi.nlm....ist_uids=675247 (no idea if this would be related)

Take care