Photo

If you think you're IR and think your IR..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:15 PM

1. Go to wal-mart or any other store and buy a glucometer. I recommend
the Precision Xtra which is fairly cheap.
2. Buy some additional test strips. You can buy them online at:
http://shop.store.ya...abtesstrip.html
3. Fast for 12 hours. Eat and drink NOTHING except water overnight.
4. Upon waking, prick your finger and test your blood with the glucomter.
5. Upon testing if your blood glucose is below 90 you are NOT insulin resistant.

And please post results, thank you.

#2 Guest_Tracy_*

Guest_Tracy_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:21 PM

Thank you, Dr. Evigrex. I'll get right on that. rolleyes.gif

#3 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the sarcasm. With so many people here pinpointing acne on insulin resistance, i'm surprised nobody has tested for it.

#4 Guest_Tracy_*

Guest_Tracy_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE(evigrex @ Aug 8 2004, 07:13 PM)
Thanks for the sarcasm.

Anytime.

#5 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:31 PM

Because people still don't KNOW about it, let alone think that they could have it. =(

#6 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2004 - 12:46 PM

and alot of times IR wont show up, it can take some serious testing at exactly the right times to show up. im sevrely IR and it never once showed up on a test, but once i started a lifestyle geared toward a person with IR, i began doing better.. but IR sucks sad.gif

#7 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:45 PM

Huh? What do you mean that it won't show up? Glucose tolerance tests are nearly always consistent unless you do not follow the proper protocol! Proper protocol meaning fasting for the proper amount of time prior to the test.

#8 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2004 - 02:00 PM

Evigex, I don't know but according to NIH, 25% of people that are Insulin Resistant show up as being normal when tested via GTT.

Here check out this short PDF on "Insulin Resistance and it's Assessment"
http://203.30.79.88/...1083213021&sid=

http://nzhta.chmeds...._resistance.PDF (another one, but much longer)

Here's something I found about how you can read GTT results
http://www.rajeun.net/gtt.html
http://www.hypoglyce...hatIsHypoPM.pdf

#9 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2004 - 04:11 PM

I don't know how consistent the oral dextrose test is, but I suspect inconsistencies may be due to patient non-compliance (for fasting 12 hours). The test that i've used (which is actually fasting blood glucose, a bit different) has been consistent, at least in my case....I never get too much of a variance. Usually stays right around 70 ng/dl.

Generally, if one gets a 90 or above, further tests are warranted to confirm a diagnosis.

#10 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:23 AM

i go to one of the best endocrinologists in the usa, and he told me once that about 70% of his patients (women with PCOS) come to him because they have gone to other docs an been tested for IR and nothing ever shows up, yet they consistently have every symtom of IR. so he basically will put them on a trial of an insulin sensitizer, because there are so many that never show up as IR, when they have serious problems with it, myself included. i even have 'acanthosis nigricans' on my inner thighs (dark spots) these spots usually only occur in people with severe insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes. i have NEVER tested out of the normal range on any insulin test sad.gif

#11 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (sadcaroline @ Aug 10 2004, 05:10 AM)
i go to one of the best endocrinologists in the usa, and he told me once that about 70% of his patients (women with PCOS) come to him because they have gone to other docs an been tested for IR and nothing ever shows up, yet they consistently have every symtom of IR. so he basically will put them on a trial of an insulin sensitizer, because there are so many that never show up as IR, when they have serious problems with it, myself included. i even have 'acanthosis nigricans' on my inner thighs (dark spots) these spots usually only occur in people with severe insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes. i have NEVER tested out of the normal range on any insulin test sad.gif

If you tested normal on a glucose tolerance test and you followed proper testing protocol, I am confident that you are not insulin resistant. These tests are pretty damn consistent from what i've seen - I think patient compliance is the main issue that could skew a result.

As far as using anti-diabetics in women with PCOS, yes that is common. I personally believe that since females with PCOS produce signifigantly more LH (and subsequently produce more of the other androgens) than is normal - anti diabetic agents such as metformin, avandia, rezulin etc are effective because they are anti-androgens in addition to being anti diabetic agents.

Just curious: what types of symptoms are you experiencing?

#12 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:58 PM

bb_surprised.gif

#13 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2004 - 09:10 PM

He he, OK Insulin Resistance can be asymptomatic for many many years, except for having Acanthosis Nigricans. Of course, that didn't stop my body from producing lots of androgens, body hair and acne as additional symptoms along the way mad.gif ...but it could've been much worse...

Now, I just got through looking at some pictures and that is me. I don't have it in all those areas but I do have it in a few. I've always wondered why my knees are darker than others when I never crawled on them or skinned them up when I was younger. Now I know why...

http://www.dermoncol...r albums/a1.htm

http://aolsearch.aol...igricans&page=3

http://aolsearch.aol...igricans&page=5

http://dermatlas.med...m?Diagnosis=139

Described in 1889 by a German dermatologist, acanthosis nigricans (AN) is a physical skin finding
that may be a marker for high blood insulin levels, suggesting insulin resistance. In 1976 acanthosis
nigricans was linked to hyperinsulinemia, a consequence of insulin resistance that is associated with
obesity.1 This report describes recent developments in understanding this connection and public
health interventions recommended to prevent the progression of insulin resistance to Type 2 diabetes.  http://www.infocuson.../acanthosis.pdf 

#14 rommie

rommie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:21 PM

I've always wondered why my knees are darker than others when I never crawled on them or skinned them

SweetJade--
bb_shock.gif I always wondered that too...I've never heard of Acanthosis Nigricans. How do people become insulin resistant? I was a bit overweight when I was young. Is obesity the only cause of IR or does genetics have a role in this too?

Are you still restricting refined carbs from your diet and have you seen improvements in your skin's overall appearance?

#15 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:36 AM

Hmm...I just thought of something, I recall reading in medical literature that some steroids (which of course are analogues of testosterone or testosterone itself) can cause premature insulin resistance/diabetes in those that are genetically prone. You may be on to something here...

#16 Doopie

Doopie

Hie.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:57 AM

OMG, I feel so bad. I stand corrected. I thought this one girl never really washed up well, sad.gif.

#17 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (rommie @ Aug 10 2004, 10:08 PM)
I've always wondered why my knees are darker than others when I never crawled on them or skinned them

SweetJade--
bb_shock.gif I always wondered that too...I've never heard of Acanthosis Nigricans. How do people become insulin resistant? I was a bit overweight when I was young. Is obesity the only cause of IR or does genetics have a role in this too?

Are you still restricting refined carbs from your diet and have you seen improvements in your skin's overall appearance?

Rommie,

Wow, how does one become insulin resistant? Well most would say it's due to your Genes and Lifestyle. Depending on your situation, one can have a greater influence on the other, but it's a combination of both of these factors and not one or the other.

After reading about this for a few years I've come across articles that have said anyone can be insulin resistant after 15 min of consuming too much sugar. Granted, this would be temporary, but imagine if you ALWAYS consumed too much sugar? Or if you consumed more sugar, than your body was capable of handling...bam Insulin Resistance 24/7!

If you take a look at the current USDA Food Pyramid, they don't bother to differentiate between whole grains and refined. They don't push for us to consume tons of the good carbohydrates with loads fiber, fruits, veggies, but push for us to consume Grains.

Also if you notice the Grains is at the bottom of this pyramid but sugar is also listed with grains too. In fact added sugar and fats are listed throughout the pyramid and fill up the very top of the pyramid. That's because they know that every food we consume that comes from the grocery store had added sugar and fat in it, including our breads!

Now think about what you consume the MOST. What is it?

Now, compare your current diet to what your parents or grandparents ate and I guarantee that it is not the same, let alone the same quality diet. That right there, is why Lifestyle induced health problems are increasing, at least in the U.S.

The average person only needs 100 - 200g a of carbs of day. That food pyarimid encourages far more than that, even when you eliminate healthy fruits and vegetables!

As for me, I chose to eliminate specific carbohydrates, particularly the ones that I was overconsuming. As a result I now eat between 200 - 300g of carbs a day whereas before I'm sure I was consuming 400g - 600g or more of carbs of day and that was AFTER I had cut out the artifical juices & sodas, and some candies and deserts!

I'm currently 99% clear, but bear in mind that's a HUGE difference for me because I can breakout in almost any area you can think and some you don't want me to mention. When I elimnated Gluten only from my diet I was 95% clear. Then I had to eliminate other misc foods, such as dairy & peanuts, to get that 99% mark. In order to maintain this I have to watch what I eat, and be aware of new foods that I add into my diet, as they may also contribute....but I don't stress or feel paranoid about it. Fried & Trans fats don't break me out, but they contribute to clogging my pores and actually enlarging them. If I don't consume these fats, my pores get very very small (but not invisible) and I produce even less oil. When I do...they get larger.

Also this is something I've noticed despite being on a variety of treatments to balance my hormones. I've been on Birth Control (anti-androgen), Spironlactone (anti-androgen) and an Insulin Sensitizer, Avandia (anti-androgenic). Those drugs weren't as POWERFUL at improving my skin or ceasing menstural cramps as eliminating some foods were! Those drugs were designed to fight androgen activity, but if you are always consuming a diet that boosts androgen activity, they may not be as effective. However depending on the severity of your problems & symptoms, you may find that you will need to add back in a supplement or a prescription anti-androgen along with your dietary changes.

Help much? wink.gif

#18 rommie

rommie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:12 PM

Its interesting to read more about this topic on this forum and stuff from google.Thanks for the responds sweetjade!

#19 Catreena

Catreena

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2004 - 04:42 PM

Hi,

I have read where IR people do not always have a high fasting blood sugar, it is their insulin level that is high even when fasting. They produce too much insulin. The only way to have your insulin level tested that I know of is by the Doctor. So testing your fasting blood glucose will not tell you anything except maybe that you are hyperglycemic/possibly diabeteic.

Catreena

#20 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Catreena @ Aug 20 2004, 03:29 PM)
Hi,

I have read where IR people do not always have a high fasting blood sugar, it is their insulin level that is high even when fasting. They produce too much insulin. The only way to have your insulin level tested that I know of is by the Doctor.  So testing your fasting blood glucose will not tell you anything except maybe that you are hyperglycemic/possibly diabeteic.

Catreena

Uhh, NO. Insulin is produced IN RESPONSE to the amount of glucose in the bloodstream! That is the *purpose* of insulin - to shuttle glucose around
to parts of the body that require it.

The pituitary constantly "polls" the bloodsteam to see what
amount of glucose is present, and when it reaches a certain amount the
production of insulin is triggered. For this reason, insulin and glucose
levels correspond with one another. Youre not going to find someone
with sub-normal or normal fasting levels of blood glucose
having high levels of insulin...thats impossible.

I wish people would stop claiming that
blood glucose tests arent accurate - they ARE unless the patient doesnt
follow the proper fasting protocol. Whats present in your blood doesnt lie,
that is ridiculous to say the least. If anyone is testing normal on a blood
glucose test, how can they be insulin resistant? Is their blood being doped
by someone?