Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you think you're IR and think your IR..

65 posts in this topic

1. Go to wal-mart or any other store and buy a glucometer. I recommend

the Precision Xtra which is fairly cheap.

2. Buy some additional test strips. You can buy them online at:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/shavethis/diabtesstrip.html

3. Fast for 12 hours. Eat and drink NOTHING except water overnight.

4. Upon waking, prick your finger and test your blood with the glucomter.

5. Upon testing if your blood glucose is below 90 you are NOT insulin resistant.

And please post results, thank you.

before you judge me take a look at you

can't you find something better to do

point the finger, slow to understand

arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

Thank you, Dr. Evigrex. I'll get right on that. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the sarcasm. With so many people here pinpointing acne on insulin resistance, i'm surprised nobody has tested for it.

Because people still don't KNOW about it, let alone think that they could have it. =(

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

and alot of times IR wont show up, it can take some serious testing at exactly the right times to show up. im sevrely IR and it never once showed up on a test, but once i started a lifestyle geared toward a person with IR, i began doing better.. but IR sucks sad.gif

[image removed by sigbot--see board rules] Country music makes me horny

Huh? What do you mean that it won't show up? Glucose tolerance tests are nearly always consistent unless you do not follow the proper protocol! Proper protocol meaning fasting for the proper amount of time prior to the test.

Evigex, I don't know but according to NIH, 25% of people that are Insulin Resistant show up as being normal when tested via GTT.

Here check out this short PDF on "Insulin Resistance and it's Assessment"

http://203.30.79.88/c/ap?a=sendfile&ft=p&fid=1083213021&sid=

http://nzhta.chmeds.ac.nz/Insulin_resistance.PDF (another one, but much longer)

Here's something I found about how you can read GTT results

http://www.rajeun.net/gtt.html

http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/articles/WhatIsHypoPM.pdf

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

I don't know how consistent the oral dextrose test is, but I suspect inconsistencies may be due to patient non-compliance (for fasting 12 hours). The test that i've used (which is actually fasting blood glucose, a bit different) has been consistent, at least in my case....I never get too much of a variance. Usually stays right around 70 ng/dl.

Generally, if one gets a 90 or above, further tests are warranted to confirm a diagnosis.

i go to one of the best endocrinologists in the usa, and he told me once that about 70% of his patients (women with PCOS) come to him because they have gone to other docs an been tested for IR and nothing ever shows up, yet they consistently have every symtom of IR. so he basically will put them on a trial of an insulin sensitizer, because there are so many that never show up as IR, when they have serious problems with it, myself included. i even have 'acanthosis nigricans' on my inner thighs (dark spots) these spots usually only occur in people with severe insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes. i have NEVER tested out of the normal range on any insulin test sad.gif

[image removed by sigbot--see board rules] Country music makes me horny

i go to one of the best endocrinologists in the usa, and he told me once that about 70% of his patients (women with PCOS) come to him because they have gone to other docs an been tested for IR and nothing ever shows up, yet they consistently have every symtom of IR. so he basically will put them on a trial of an insulin sensitizer, because there are so many that never show up as IR, when they have serious problems with it, myself included. i even have 'acanthosis nigricans' on my inner thighs (dark spots) these spots usually only occur in people with severe insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes. i have NEVER tested out of the normal range on any insulin test sad.gif

bb_surprised.gif

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

He he, OK Insulin Resistance can be asymptomatic for many many years, except for having Acanthosis Nigricans. Of course, that didn't stop my body from producing lots of androgens, body hair and acne as additional symptoms along the way mad.gif ...but it could've been much worse...

Now, I just got through looking at some pictures and that is me. I don't have it in all those areas but I do have it in a few. I've always wondered why my knees are darker than others when I never crawled on them or skinned them up when I was younger. Now I know why...

http://www.dermoncology.com/tumors/tumor%20albums/a1.htm

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/image?query=a...igricans&page=3

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/image?query=a...igricans&page=5

http://dermatlas.med.jhmi.edu/derm/result.cfm?Diagnosis=139

Described in 1889 by a German dermatologist, acanthosis nigricans (AN) is a physical skin finding

that may be a marker for high blood insulin levels, suggesting insulin resistance. In 1976 acanthosis

nigricans was linked to hyperinsulinemia, a consequence of insulin resistance that is associated with

obesity.1 This report describes recent developments in understanding this connection and public

health interventions recommended to prevent the progression of insulin resistance to Type 2 diabetes.  http://www.infocusonline.org/acanthosis.pdf 

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

Hmm...I just thought of something, I recall reading in medical literature that some steroids (which of course are analogues of testosterone or testosterone itself) can cause premature insulin resistance/diabetes in those that are genetically prone. You may be on to something here...

OMG, I feel so bad. I stand corrected. I thought this one girl never really washed up well, sad.gif.

It took me a little while to discover

Wolves in sheep coats who pretend to be lovers

Men who lack conscience will even lie to themselves, to themselves

A friend once said, and I found to be true

That everyday people, they lie to God too

So what makes you think, that they won't lie to you

----

Now I may have wisdom and knowledge on Earth

But if I speak wrong then what is it worth?

See what we now know is nothing compared

to the love that was shown when our lives were spared

I've always wondered why my knees are darker than others when I never crawled on them or skinned them

SweetJade--

bb_shock.gif I always wondered that too...I've never heard of Acanthosis Nigricans. How do people become insulin resistant? I was a bit overweight when I was young. Is obesity the only cause of IR or does genetics have a role in this too?

Are you still restricting refined carbs from your diet and have you seen improvements in your skin's overall appearance?

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

Its interesting to read more about this topic on this forum and stuff from google.Thanks for the responds sweetjade!

Hi,

I have read where IR people do not always have a high fasting blood sugar, it is their insulin level that is high even when fasting. They produce too much insulin. The only way to have your insulin level tested that I know of is by the Doctor. So testing your fasting blood glucose will not tell you anything except maybe that you are hyperglycemic/possibly diabeteic.

Catreena

Hi,

I have read where IR people do not always have a high fasting blood sugar, it is their insulin level that is high even when fasting. They produce too much insulin. The only way to have your insulin level tested that I know of is by the Doctor.  So testing your fasting blood glucose will not tell you anything except maybe that you are hyperglycemic/possibly diabeteic.

Catreena

OK, since you feel that way, then why is it so hard for you to believe that perhaps the method of testing isn't quite accurate enough?

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

Evigrex,

You do not have to talk to me like I am an idiot, I am 16 years old and my mom is an RN. I have read this on the internet and in books and my mom has confirmed it.

Look at this website, (down below somewhere) it gives symptoms of IR and no where does it say anything about IR people absolutely having high blood glucose. It says you wake up with an INSULIN LEVEL of 90, not Blood sugar level. Read the symptoms, HYPOglycemia not HYPERglycemia is a symptom. I have read where after a time your pancreas can't keep up with the demands of the blood sugar and then your blood sugar is high, you then are considered pre-diabetic. Here is something else from another site that says you MAY have high blood sugar, but just because your blood sugar is normal does not mean you are not IR and the best thing to do is to be tested for IR before it becomes pre-diabetes which leads to Type 2 diabetes:

What are the symptoms of insulin resistance and pre-diabetes?

Insulin resistance and pre-diabetes usually have no symptoms. You may have one or both conditions for several years without noticing anything. If you have a severe form of insulin resistance, you may get dark patches of skin, usually on the back of your neck. Sometimes people get a dark ring around their neck. Other possible sites for these dark patches include elbows, knees, knuckles, and armpits. This condition is called acanthosis nigricans.

If you have a mild or moderate form of insulin resistance, blood tests may show normal or high blood glucose and high levels of insulin at the same time.

This is the site I mentioned above somewhere:

http:/www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/insulin.htm

Isn't it better to be safe than sorry in 10-15 years when you end up with diabetes? I think it is. If that is not what is wrong with me then I will do what my Dr. says until we do find out what is wrong. I have also read where high insulin levels can inhibit growth hormones, and guess what, I quit growing taller when I was 12. I broke my ankle and the orthopedic Dr. who took my x-rays said I hate to tell you this but your legs are done growing, your growth plates are closed. For some reason I already had the feeling I was done growing. He was right I have been the same height since even before he told me that. If I was tested for this back then would I have grown more? I don't know, but I do know I am the shortest in all of my family.

One last thing from the village idiot, I did not ever say anything about blood glucose tests being inaccurate so I don't know what that is about. All I said was IR people have high levels of insulin not always high blood glucose. Sorry if I offended in anyway, and thanks for the nice greeting to a new person on this forum, made me feel real welcome. From now on I'll just read and not comment, or maybe find a friendlier forum. Thanks.

Catreena

Catreena,

I think that was very well done. It's a shame that there are people that speak to us as if we don't have a clue about our condition and how to treat it. Obviously if it's working for us, and there's increasingly recent (and old) scientific evidence supporting this, not to mention the "real" doctors and endocrinologists that diagnosed us, then WHAT is their problem? Anyway, I'm glad you were able to figure out what works for you, and you should try and save some of that energy for a few other highly "stubborn" individuals around here. ;-)

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

Catreena, you are wrong. Period! Maybe im not friendly about it, but if what you post may give someone the wrong idea, im gonna call you out on it.

Insulin and blood glucose levels are always correlated, and insulin resistance is CAUSED by hyperglycemia. What happens is that the pituitary will detect a high level of glucose in the blood and will subsequently trigger the production of insulin to remove it from the bloodstream (and redirect it to the brain, muscle and fat tissue for energy) However, due to various reasons muscle and fat cells are resistant to accepting the glucose and blood glucose levels remain elevated - this causes an endless cycle of having high blood glucose and further insulin production. This will in turn worsen the resistance of muscle and fat cells to accepting blood glucse, and eventually will put stress on the beta cells of the pancreas. When the beta cells of the pancreas nearly give out, Insulin resistance will hasten and possibly turn to diabetes if the condition is prolonged. Now do you see the correlation between blood glucose and insulin resistance?

You can call any endo in your yellow pages or human physiology to confirm this - feel free. You know endos can test for insulin resistance, right? How do you ask? They look for a certain range on a dextrose challenge or a fasting blood glucose test. To say its possible to be insulin resistant without having high levels of blood glucose is ridiculous.

Jade: what is your objection to the blood glucose testing methodology? I would be most interested in hearing that. Why is it not accurate when resulsts are consistent when testing parameters are the same? And PLEASE explain to me, AGAIN, how someone who tests normal on this test can possibly be insulin resistant. Testing normal on this test means that your blood glucose is being properly stored - which would indicate that your muscle and fat cells are not resistant to accepting blood glucose.

Thank you SweetJade 1980,

Evergrex,

Whatever, I can see that you are one of these people who do not like to be wrong. I am reading things that Dr.s and endo's and posted for our awareness and in nursing manuals. Thank you much. Also many drugs can cause inaccurate blood glucose readings such as steroids which many have the HALF-LIFE of up to 18 days so fasting for a measly 12 hours will not make the reading accurate. I am having my INSULIN level tested by my Dr. at her request not mine. What wrong idea am I giving to people? I suggest they consult their Dr., not rely on a home glucose monitor, this is a bad thing? You are the one suggesting they rely on a home monitor, to me that is dangerous. OK...... whatever once again. Doctors can rule things out and move on to something else if that is not really the problem. What can you do at home? Say "OH, ok since my CBG is 90 I'm not IR". and then 10-15 years later find out you're diabetic. Many of us are on antibiotics for our acne, these can make readings lower, and since your Dr. knows what meds you are on they can evaluate this while evaluating your blood work. Did you even read the site? Go to Google, type in HIGH INSULIN LEVELS and you will see there are around 700,000 articles on it, many written by DOCTORS. Your glucose can be high when you have an infection, does that mean you are IR? Too many variables to diagnose yourself when there are Doctors that can do it and then treat it accordingly. My advice to all was to see a Dr. that is all and if that is so very wrong I apologize.

So sorry to suggest you all see a Dr. for a diagnosis how idiotic of me.

Thanks again for your warmth and kindness,

Catreena