Photo

Do you think a high carb diet has a link to acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think a high carb diet has a link to acne? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think a high carb diet has a link to acne?

1. Yes (18 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. No (9 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 civ2

civ2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:59 PM

It seems like the most widely accepted dietary link to acne mentioned here is the high carb (wheat, pasta etc.) diet. Some days I'm pretty motivated to maintain a low-carb lifestyle because I think it may help my acne, but other days I feel like it's not going to affect my acne. Right now, every few days or so I may get a new zit or two, but my main problem is just the red spots that cover a good area of my cheeks, and I'm not sure how much a different diet will help reduce redness. Coming from someone who's basically lived on cereal, toast and pasta his whole life with hardly any fruits or vegetables, it's been extremely hard for me to limit myself, and since I've been skinny my whole life it's not like there's an additional motivation to lose weight (I almost wish I was overweight so I had more motivation). I just wanted to get opinions from as many people as possible on this board.

#2 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:32 AM

Civ,
I used to live off a diet very similar to yours and am still just as naturally underweight, yet I have absolutely NO doubt that certain carbohydrates cause problems for, at least, some hormonal acne sufferers. http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=26936
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#3 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 07:58 AM

Yes, I do.

#4 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:04 AM

heh nope.

Could someone suffering from serious hormonal cystic acne combat it simply by not eating carbohydrates. I personally find that extremely ridiculous - most of the people using this approach are using a variant of dan's regimen along with their dietary changes.
before you judge me take a look at you
can't you find something better to do
point the finger, slow to understand
arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

#5 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:02 PM

I definitely know plenty of Atkin followers (the serious kind with the book, journal, t-shirt, etc...) who still get acne.

#6 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:06 PM

Well if high carb diet raises testosterone levels then maybe yes. Certainly I don't believe that one can "cure" acne by not eating carbs. From my experience dietary changes haven't had any effect on my own acne situation. So for serious acne, I don't believe that dietary changes will make much difference at all. For a milder case, maybe.
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#7 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:35 PM

I don't have a mild case of acne, nor do I use any special skincare regimen =P
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#8 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Aug 8 2004, 11:22 PM)
I don't have a mild case of acne,  nor do I use any special skincare regimen  =P

Damn, there goes my theory then.........:blink: Well people are different, so I guess everone has to try what works for them.
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#9 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:59 PM

LOL, Sam you were doing so good. ;-)

Unlike other "theories" that people are trying to disprove, this is ALL over the Internet and in a host of books. From non-credible (in some's opinions) websites to journal articles. From Endocrinologists to pharmaceutical companies. This is TRUE.

It has been known for several decades now that an an Increase in Insulin raises your Androgen Production. This is not a theory, this is a fact and so far is the common factor among a variety of other health & hormonal disorders assocatied with Insulin Resistance Syndrome or Metabolic Syndrome.

If this aspect of the diet-acne connection, is not working for you than you either aren't eliminating the right foods for you or you may not be in that "special" 10% of acne sufferers that is hyperandrogenic.

Of course, let's not forget that if you aren't seeing results, Insulin Resistance could be causing you a multitude of other (asymptomatic) problems INSTEAD of acne.

Take care

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#10 edenfield

edenfield

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:08 PM

this doesn't really relate to acne.

but if you dont intake any carbs your body enters ketosis. where your body uses fat and protein to produce ketones, a new energy source that fuels your body.

this is why atkins works, but if you intake so much as a few grams of carbs your body goes out of ketosis.

ketosis is natural, you enter it every night when you sleep.
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#11 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:10 PM

Well, right now I've been an a diet that has virtually no carbs (pretty close to seeing the whole six pack...), so the only insulin response comes from protein. Of course protein also raises glucagon levels.

What I've been thinking is that there are a lot of things that affect androgen production. How big of an influence does insulin have on that compared to the affect that exercise, stress, obesity and a lot of other things have on testosterone production?

#12 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(edenfield @ Aug 8 2004, 11:55 PM)
this is why atkins works, but if you intake so much as a few grams of carbs your body goes out of ketosis.

Not really a few grams. I've been on a ketosis eating 50 grams of carbs a day.

#13 edenfield

edenfield

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:13 PM

oh for me it was a few grams.

but i think the range is about 0-200g?
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#14 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(edenfield @ Aug 9 2004, 12:00 AM)
oh for me it was a few grams.

but i think the range is about 0-200g?

Basically the brain needs about 100 grams of glucose a day. So if you eat less than that, it will induce ketosis. When the brain starts to use more ketone bodies and the need for glucose decreases, you'll have to eat less carbs to be in ketosis. Of course the less carbs you eat, the "deeper" the ketosis.

And of course the glycogen in the liver must be used up before ketosis can be induced.

Edit. Is it the brain or brains. In finnish it's brains (aivot), because there are two parts in there or something. My brain doesn't seem to work, must be the lack of carbs.......

#15 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(Sam The Man @ Aug 8 2004, 02:57 PM)
What I've been thinking is that there are a lot of things that affect androgen production. How big of an influence does insulin have on that compared to the affect that exercise, stress, obesity and a lot of other things have on testosterone production?

Sam,

You are 100% correct.

A: My personal theory, yes my theory, is that for some people the problem may be the type & amount of fat they consume or produce. This may be why I come up healthy/normal in almost every physiological aspect of Insulin Resistance Syndrome, except for being Hyperandrogenic.

Since our steriod hormones are produced from Cholesterol, this could be why some/most acne sufferers are underweight (body is using that fat for hormones instead), insead of being overwieght or having high cholesterol. Of course if you are obese or overwieght your body definately has the fat to produce these hormones too.

So, this would help support why B5, Fish Oil, Guggul, and other fat metabolizers have been (clinically) shown to improve/clear acne. As well as why eliminating things that will boost fat productions (too much "bad" carbs, too much sugars, too much "bad" fats), also reduces acne production.

B: As for stress, again absolutely! I've been retested on this one, so I don't have a lack or overproduce cortisol, but if you do have an adrenal abnormality, it can cause you to (under or) overproduce androgens. FYI: I do overproduce DHEA adrenal androgen hormone, but I according to the tests, I don't have an abnormality...

C: Exercising will lower your Insulin Resistance and as such will also lower your Free Testosterone levels by boosing SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin) production. This would also improve your body's ability to handle stress. Now heavy wieght lifting may be another story, especially if people are carb-loading (with certain carbs) as that will negate the androgen lowering effects.

D: Getting a good night's sleep will also lower your Insulin Resistance. Of course, this would also improve your stress levels.

E: If you are Hypothyroid, this can also boost androgen production. It's odd for I always thought it would be Hyperthroids with this problem, but it's usually those that are Hypothyroid that have acne. It may be due to the fact that they lack SHBG, which binds Free Testosterone, which results in a reduced amount available for DHT production.

HTH

P.S. There's people around here and reviews on Amazon.com that followed Atkins and noticed that their skin improved as a side effect. Once they went off the diet, their acne came back, but they didn't put the connection together until they started reading more about how Insulin affects acne production. Some followed the diet again and it worked, while others had to eliminate a few more food items.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#16 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Aug 8 2004, 01:46 PM)
LOL, Sam you were doing so good. ;-)

Unlike other "theories" that people are trying to disprove, this is ALL over the Internet and in a host of books.  From non-credible (in some's opinions) websites to journal articles.  From Endocrinologists to pharmaceutical companies.  This is TRUE.

It has been known for several decades now that an an Increase in Insulin raises your Androgen Production.  This is not a theory, this is a fact and so far is the common factor among a variety of other health & hormonal disorders assocatied with Insulin Resistance Syndrome or Metabolic Syndrome.

If this aspect of the diet-acne connection, is not working for you than you either aren't eliminating the right foods for you or you may not be in that "special" 10% of acne sufferers that is hyperandrogenic.

Of course, let's not forget that if you aren't seeing results, Insulin Resistance could be causing you a multitude of other (asymptomatic) problems INSTEAD of acne.

Take care

Yeah, so how much does it increase androgen production by. Give us some hard numbers. Would it raise someones testosterone level from 75ng/dl to 1400ng/dl (which is beyond the "normal" range.)

Oh. Wait - I recall some studies showing that carb depletion can impair thyroid output temporarily - so if being hypo can cause acne, and no carbs can cure acne...oh wait nevermind

I've hit around this before, but i do not know WHY you or your doctor thinks your insulin resistant...you never mentioned how he diagnosed you as being IR. There is no way that someone who is underweight and has a fast metabolism could suffer from this - insulin resistance is always marked by an ease of gaining weight and hypometabolism.

#17 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:28 PM

Evigrex,

Sigh (as I flip through my medical records)... I'm only doing this because I think you are a much better scientist than some other members on this board.

Reread and reread my posts about how I was dx and the associated clinical studies that sometimes apply to both males and females. Every test you have mentioned I have had done and am usually normal, except mainly when it comes to my androgens.

My former Endocrinologist tested me and retested me for a variety of hormonal disorders, health disorders, anemias, gluten intolerance, etc. When he diagnosed me as being Insulin Resistant or PCOS, every few months he performed blood work to check my liver enzymes, glucose, cholesterol, etc, but did not regularly test my steroid hormones. Below are what steroid hormone & other relevant test results and their reference ranges that I have. I have others, bt they come out normal and I'm not writing ALL of those out. Also please remember, every lab has their own reference range.

A: Summer 2003 had my then Endocrinologist run tests, but I never got to pick up the results, nor do I know what tests he ran, and they weren't listed in my medical records (they keep two files).

B: April 19, 2003 - Body Balance Female Check (home saliva test) - Great Smokies Labs
(150mg of Spiro and 7 months into my customized Gluten-Free Diet) – 99% clear

Estradiol (estrogen): 7.18 from a Ref. Range of [5.50 - 13.20] pmol/L

Progesterone: 1347 from a Ref. Range of [259 - 979] pmol/L

Testosterone: 234.4 from a Ref. Range of [24 - 135] pmol/L

Generally, saliva tests aren't favored because they tend to be more sensitive then others feel they should be.

C: October 29, 2002
(3 months into taking an increased dose of Avandia (4mg), Gluten Free Diet, & 1g Fish Oil, and 150mg of Spiro) – 95% clear

Estradiol: 72.64 PG/ML (normal as in it’s within most phases (6 ranges) of the menstrual cycle, but it’s sometimes falls on the low end):

Follicular: 11 – 69 or 63 – 165 PG/ML ranges
Midcycle: 146 – 526 PG/ML range
Luteal: 33 – 150, 68 – 196, or 33 – 133 PG/ML ranges

TSH Sensitive: 0.85 from [0.35 – 5.50] uIU/ml (SmithKline)

T4: 1.3 from [0.89 – 1.76] ng/dl (SmithKline)

Free T3: 285 & 312 from [230 – 420] pg/dl (SmithKline) (I guess they took 2 samples??)

Total Thyroxine: 12.4 from [4.5 – 12.5] mcg/dl (Quest Labs)

Cholesterol: 161 from [120 – 230] mg/dl

Triglyceride: 27 from [30 – 140] mg/dl

LDL: 86 from [100 – 160] mg/dl

HDL: 70 from [40 – 100] mg/dl

HDL/Chol Ratio: 2.3 from [0 – 3.7]

Choles. Individual: 5.4 from [0 – 62]

C: April 23, 2001 - Quest Diagnostics
(Tri-Levlen BC and 200mg Spiro), 60% – 75% clear

Androstenedione: 192 from Male & Female Ref. Range of [65 - 270] NG/DL

Total Testosterone: 32 from a Female Ref. Range of [5 - 70] NG/DL

Free Testosterone: 2 from a Female Ref. Range of [0 – 1.4] NG/DL

DHEA (unconjugated): 1238 from a Female Ref. Range of [130 - 980] NG/ DL

D: May 11, 1998 - SmithKline Beecham
(Demulen BC) – 50% clear

Total Testosterone: 40 at Female Ref. Range of [6 – 86] NG/DL

Free Testosterone: 5 from Female Ref. Range [0 – 1.4] NG/DL

DHEA (unconjugated): 761 from Ref. Range [130 – 1200] NG/DL

E: January 29, 1998 – SmithKline Beecham

Total Testosterone: 50 at Female Ref. Range of [6 – 86] NG/DL

Free Testosterone: 10 from Female Ref. Range [0 – 1.4] NG/DL

DHEA (unconjugated) 1440 from Ref. Range [130 – 1200] NG/DL

F: March 14, 1997 – Roche Biomedical Laboratories

Total Testosterone: 50 from Female Ref. Range of [14 - 76] NG/DL

Free Testosterone: 0.62 from Female Ref. Range of [0 – 1.4] NG/DL

% Free Testosterone: 1.25 from Female Ref. Range [0.30 – 2.00] %

G: In 1994 or 1995, I had an outside Endocrinologist request tests for me, but my military hospital wouldn’t run one of the tests. Supposedly that test would have been the deciding factor. At one point I had those tests results (all normal), but have since lost them =(

Now, I started puberty when I was 8, but I didn’t really started getting much acne until I was 10 and cystic & body acne at 11. Aside from my acne that’s improved, my mild hirstuism (still needs Spiro to block action or it gets worse), and Dysmenorrhea (painful periods) have also been greatly helped or eliminated by reducing those hormones or my Insulin response.

If were to interpret the above, knowing what I now about how hormones are produced and the order in which they do so (Cholesterol --- >Progesterone --> Androgens--> Estrogens), it's obvious that for some reason (IR) my body prefers to turn all of that extra Progesterone into Testosterone and that Free Testosterone, prefers turning into DHT instead of Estrogen. Based on my testosterone levels at least, you can also see that this continued to worsen as the years went on (despite meds).

For my own curiosity and for some around here, I do have an appt. in October with an Endocrinologist to get a CMP and to check my hormone levels and I'm going to also ask if she will check my SHBG, DHT, and 5 alpha reductase.

Oh and again, as to the reason why my doctor thinks that I am Insulin Resistant is because all those going through growth cycles such as, Puberty and Pregnancy, are. Furthermore, my father side of the family has some siblings with borderline Type II Diabetes and one of my uncles died from it. Not to mention, all Type II Diabetics are Insulin Resistant, plus 25% of those that are Insulin Resistant show up as Normal during testing.

Also, please remember that there are multiple RECENT clinical studies linking HyperInsulinemia to HyperAndrogenism with subjects that have symptoms similar to mine (and then some). I am not the only "anamoly"; there are other women that are thin, have acne, and are IR and/or PCOS too. Otherwise, other than Acanthosis Nigricans (may have that), Insulin Resistance is usually Asymptomatic for many many years…or until it gets worse.

Bye for now

P.S Notice how some of those results didn’t differentiate between the gender? Anyway, based on what results I have, these are for Males:

Free Testosterone Ref. Range is [4 – 26] NG/DL (SmithKline Beecham)

DHEA (unconjugated) Ref. Range [180 – 1250] NG/DL (Quest Diagnostics)

Androstenedione (Male & Female) Ref. Range of [65 - 270] NG/DL (Quest Diagnostics)

P.P.S. I think SmithKline or Quest owns the other.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#18 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(evigrex @ Aug 9 2004, 12:52 AM)
Yeah, so how much does it increase androgen production by.  Give us some hard numbers.    Would it raise someones testosterone level from 75ng/dl to 1400ng/dl (which is beyond the "normal" range.)

Yes, this intrests me also. Because watching a movie that has violence in it (I think it was Godfather 2, very good movie by the way....)can increase testosterone levels in men as much as 30%. Watching their favourite football team winning increases test levels in men. To me these seems to imply that testosterone levels are increased and decreased very easily by all kinds of weird things. :eek:

#19 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:45 PM

LOL, that is very interesting indeed. ;-)

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#20 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:48 PM

Hey thanks for taking the time to post that. Yeah, your androgen levels appear to be a bit high, and everything else appears to be good. Actually....you're genetically blessed - your thyroid is high/normal, which is a good thing for a number of reasons.

I'll post more thoughts on it later when i'm not so tired.