Photo

Doxycycline - Differin: The Battle Begins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 CarolinaMom

CarolinaMom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:01 AM

Acne.org has been so helpful for me that I have decided to start a post about my son's experience in hopes that it may be beneficial for others fighting the same fight.

---------

My son has had some acne for while - maybe 2+ years. A few blemishes here and there but not anything out of the ordinary for teens. We did the Proactiv routine and thought he would out grow it.

This summer the breakout REALLY began and the Proactiv wasn't taking care of it. Off to the derm we went hoping to clear up before school started. He began using Differin at night with the Proactiv.

After 6 wks - no change. School started - kids made comments. Someone commented he needed Proactiv - Another said they thought he had been in a car accident over the summer. It was a terrible way to start the school year. Back to the derm...

That was 3 weeks ago...

He is now taking Doxycycline and contining the Differin. Last week he went in to have extractions done and a light peel at the derm. I was amazed at the stuff that came out during the extractions.

The next day he was nearly in tears. I could tell he didn't want to go to school but did. His face was covered in pustles by the time he came home. We called the Drs office and they said to open them gently with a lance to drain them. A definite low point. I felt like we had made things so much worse.

The weekend was tough but to his credit he kept a busy social schedule.

By Sunday, he started seeing some clearing and things are gradually getting better. The cysts on his cheeks are not visible (there is still redness where they were). He basically has red/brown spots where the acne was. He had a few new spots yesterday but they don't seem as bad.

At this point we are hopeful and nervous about the facial appointment he has for next week.

I feel like we are just getting started...

#2 CarolinaMom

CarolinaMom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

The past week things seemed to improve. The new breakouts are fewer but still come up. When they do appear, they seem smaller and go away quicker. The redness is beginning to fade where some of the older breakouts were but I feel that is going to take some time.

Our next visit to the derm is on Thursday. He is scheduled for more extractions and a more extensive chemical peel. I'm hoping this visit goes better than the last one as far as the immediate side effects go.

#3 CarolinaMom

CarolinaMom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

The extractions/chemical peel last Thursday was somewhat better than the first round. On Friday, his face looked like he had been in the sun which was better than the massive breakouts he had with the first extraction and mild peel.

On Saturday, his face had started peeling and was very tight to the point it was uncomfortable. He ended up soaking his face in luke warm water and applying moisturizer which helped.

By Sunday, the peeling had stopped but he had several new breakouts. Last night he started using his topicals (BP and Differen) again. Today (5 days after the peel) was the first day we started seeing an improvement.

Overall, I would say he had a better experience this time around. The estethician said the peeling will help the BP and Differin to really get in the pores and should make a difference in how well they are working. We are really hoping it does.

I would love to hear about anyone's personal experience with the extraction/peel treatments.

#4 CarolinaMom

CarolinaMom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

Only one new breakout in last 3 days...

Maybe the extraction/peels are helping along with the doxy 100mg twice a day and differin.

His current regime...
AM - Wash with Clinique Mild Facial Cleanser
Benzol Peroxide 2.5% Pad
DML Moisturizer
Doxy 100mg

PM - Wash with Clinique Mild Facial Cleanser
Benzol Peroxide 2.5% Pad
Differin
DML Moisturizer
Doxy 100mg

Every two or three days: Proactiv Refining Mask (Sulfur 6%)

Still has redness where blemishes were but no large cysts in the last few weeks. He's been taking doxy for about a month. Just got first refill.

Something in here seems to be working... wink.gif

#5 CarolinaMom

CarolinaMom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:41 AM

We went back to see the derm yesterday. His skin is looking really good. Still has the redness where the acne was but the dr. was very satisfied with what she saw yesterday. My son is much happier too!

She wants him to cut back on the Doxy to one a day. She was also concerned about the BP causing dryness with the winter months approaching so we may need to cut back on that as well.

He had more extractions and a chemical peel while we were there yesterday. Keeping the pores open seems to be key in his battle. He'll have one more peel in three weeks and then we will cut back to those as well.

I'm afraid to change anything since I feel like we are just seeing some good results.

We'll see what happens!

#6 CarolinaMom

CarolinaMom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:06 AM

I really didn't think we would see the results that we have had so far. It's been about 10wks since my son started the doxy/differin/peel regimen and I am amazed at the difference it has made. It took a while but the breakouts are not nearly as frequent. (Maybe 1 or 2 per week) His skin is healing and the redness is going away. He is so much happier. eusa_angel.gif

He has been cutting back on the doxy like the derm asked him to do when we were there a couple of weeks ago. (He's taking two every other day.) He has also cut back on the BP to once at night. We go back to the derm for the last chemical peel next week. He had very few breakouts after the last peel so I'm not dreading the next one as much.

When school started, he was really struggling with his acne. It was a very difficult time for him and there were times when I wasn't sure we were making progress with the treatment plan he was on but he stuck with it. (and I fought the urge to run to another derm!)

At this point, we have one more follow up with the derm before he goes to quarterly check ups.

If you are a month (or two) into your regimen with doxy/differin, just try to give it some time.

#7 CarolinaMom

CarolinaMom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:03 PM

It has been a long time since my last post but I felt like I needed to update this thread...

After two or three months of the Differin / Doxy regime, my son's acne began to get worse again. It was not as severe as it was in the beginning but still bad enough that it bothered him. The dermatologist began to discuss putting him on Accutane. After reading the material and talking with his friends, he wasn't ready to do that so we moved on to the next dermatologist for a second opinion. He changed his antibotic and prescribed Ziana. After three months and reviewing his medical records again, he was ready to put him on Accutane. My son was still not ready (his friend who had been taking Accutane began losing his hair) He figured he could just live with the acne (it was better - I would say moderate at this point.) The derm then recommended using a wash with salicylic acid in it.

After researching cleansers, I found the Kavi products reviewed on this website. Specifically, Kavi Coral (3% Salicylic and 2% Sulfur). Since he was using the Proactiv Refining Mask (6% Sulfur) as a spot treatment with favorable results, I decided to order the Kavi Coral soap. Within a few weeks, we began to see noticeable results. So much so that I decided to order their Salicylic Peel (15%). My son hated the chemical peels he had in the first derm's office but he did have some clearing effects after the treatments. After a little convincing, he agreed to try the 15% peel. The results have been very good and promising. The peel stings really bad for the 70 seconds it is on his face but it keeps him clear for almost a week. He is now using the Kavi SPF 30 Moisturizer and Toner too.

We go back to the dermatologist #2 tomorrow to see what he thinks but at this point my son is very happy. Even his friends have commented about the improvement. It's been a long year with much trial and error but I think we are getting somewhere. At this point, I would say his acne is light and his scaring is slowing fading.

This website has been so helpful that I felt like I needed to update my thread. Unfortunately , the Differin / Doxy regime was not the final answer for my son but we continued the quest.

#8 Doffy90

Doffy90

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

So much so that I decided to order their Salicylic Peel (15%). My son hated the chemical peels he had in the first derm's office but he did have some clearing effects after the treatments. After a little convincing, he agreed to try the 15% peel. The results have been very good and promising. The peel stings really bad for the 70 seconds it is on his face but it keeps him clear for almost a week. He is now using the Kavi SPF 30 Moisturizer and Toner too.

According to Paula Begoun's http://www.cosmetics...ient-dictionary the BHA peels contain both methylisothiazolinone & menthol which is a no no for skin care. I was thinking of ordering it myself but now I'm not so sure anymore. Did it really help your son and did he complain about having sensitive skin after he used it?

#9 CarolinaMom

CarolinaMom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

So much so that I decided to order their Salicylic Peel (15%). My son hated the chemical peels he had in the first derm's office but he did have some clearing effects after the treatments. After a little convincing, he agreed to try the 15% peel. The results have been very good and promising. The peel stings really bad for the 70 seconds it is on his face but it keeps him clear for almost a week. He is now using the Kavi SPF 30 Moisturizer and Toner too.

According to Paula Begoun's http://www.cosmetics...ient-dictionary the BHA peels contain both methylisothiazolinone & menthol which is a no no for skin care. I was thinking of ordering it myself but now I'm not so sure anymore. Did it really help your son and did he complain about having sensitive skin after he used it?

I have seen this list and it is a very extensive list.

The one thing I've learned by reading the posts on this web site is that everyone's skin/condition is different and what works for some may not work for others. There were some ingredients in the Kavi products that seemed like no nos but the reviews were so good for the Kavi Coral soap I decided to buy it. The quck positive results from the made me want to buy my son the 15% SA peel and try it too.

I will say the first time he used it; I was concerned. He had a pretty strong reaction (several breakouts) and I emailed Kavi to find out if this was normal. They said it could be breakouts in the very early stages that came out after the peel and recommended trying it two more time and only leaving it on for 20 seconds. We followed their advice and the subsequent peels began to improve his condition. He is up to 70 seconds now (90 secs in the maximum recommended) and it has really worked. He does his peels on Thursday night and he does not break out over the weekend and may have one or two by Wednesday of the following week. That being said, he is taking antibotics, vitamin A (16.000 IU a day), using the Kavi Coral Soap, Toner and Sunscreen. He'll also put BP on his breakouts and uses Ziana at night.

I know there is a lot going on in his regimine, but I honestly think the soap and the peels have made the biggest difference. We stopped using the Differin he had been using two months ago and will probably try cutting back on the Ziana next. These cremes we get from the Derm are so expensive and I don't think they have made that much impact.

My advice would be to try the peel if you are interested but do it gradually. Admittly, we were getting a bit desparate. My son did not want to go on Accutane and we were willing to try just about anything. I hope this has been helpful information.

#10 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:56 AM

I have seen this list and it is a very extensive list.

The one thing I've learned by reading the posts on this web site is that everyone's skin/condition is different and what works for some may not work for others. There were some ingredients in the Kavi products that seemed like no nos but the reviews were so good for the Kavi Coral soap I decided to buy it. The quck positive results from the made me want to buy my son the 15% SA peel and try it too.

I will say the first time he used it; I was concerned. He had a pretty strong reaction (several breakouts) and I emailed Kavi to find out if this was normal. They said it could be breakouts in the very early stages that came out after the peel and recommended trying it two more time and only leaving it on for 20 seconds. We followed their advice and the subsequent peels began to improve his condition. He is up to 70 seconds now (90 secs in the maximum recommended) and it has really worked. He does his peels on Thursday night and he does not break out over the weekend and may have one or two by Wednesday of the following week. That being said, he is taking antibotics, vitamin A (16.000 IU a day), using the Kavi Coral Soap, Toner and Sunscreen. He'll also put BP on his breakouts and uses Ziana at night.

I know there is a lot going on in his regimine, but I honestly think the soap and the peels have made the biggest difference. We stopped using the Differin he had been using two months ago and will probably try cutting back on the Ziana next. These cremes we get from the Derm are so expensive and I don't think they have made that much impact.

My advice would be to try the peel if you are interested but do it gradually. Admittly, we were getting a bit desparate. My son did not want to go on Accutane and we were willing to try just about anything. I hope this has been helpful information.

so how bad is your sons acne at this point? how many pimples/pustules does he normally have (Actives).

Also , if you do not mind me asking, how long was he on doxycycline for last year... and how long was he on the other antibiotic for this year? What other antibiotic did he take?

#11 CarolinaMom

CarolinaMom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:46 AM

I would say his acne is very mild at this point. His normal breakouts (only one or two pimples a week) are usually on day 5 or 6 after his peel. (Even then they are relatively small (pimples) compared to where he was a year ago (cysts.) Last week, he had no new pimples - a great week for a growing teenager. His scaring is gradually fading but I think that will take a while for some of the red ones to go away completely. There are some pitted scars that may not go away at all. We'll have to wait and see.

He took the doxy for roughly a year and then started taking Septra about 4 months ago. During the first 2-3 months, he took 2 a day and now he is taking one a day.

Here is his current regimine...

Morning:

Wash Face w/ Kavi Coral (3% Salicylic, 2% Sulfur)

Skin and Laser BP 5%

Kavi SPF 30 Moisturizer

Evening:

Kavi Toner (.2% Salicylic)

Ziana

Kavi SPF 30 Moisturizer

Septra Antibotic, Vitamin A - 1600 IU

Thursday Evenings:

Kavi 15% Salicylic Peel (70 secs)

Spot Treatment As Needed:

Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion - Daytime

Proactive Refining Mask (6% Sulfur) - Overnight

Avoid sodas - especially the ones high in sugar and caffeine. (i.e. Mountain Dew, etc...)

#12 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:52 PM

I would say his acne is very mild at this point. His normal breakouts (only one or two pimples a week) are usually on day 5 or 6 after his peel. (Even then they are relatively small (pimples) compared to where he was a year ago (cysts.) Last week, he had no new pimples - a great week for a growing teenager. His scaring is gradually fading but I think that will take a while for some of the red ones to go away completely. There are some pitted scars that may not go away at all. We'll have to wait and see.

He took the doxy for roughly a year and then started taking Septra about 4 months ago. During the first 2-3 months, he took 2 a day and now he is taking one a day.

Morning:

Skin and Laser BP 5%

Kavi SPF 30 Moisturizer

Evening:

Ziana

Kavi SPF 30 Moisturizer

Thursday Evenings:

Avoid sodas - especially the ones high in sugar and caffeine. (i.e. Mountain Dew, etc...)

have you read about the dangers of oral antibiotics?

Did your sons acne get dramtically worse after stopping antibiotics at any point in time?

Also, did he develop any other skin conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis or eczema?

#13 CarolinaMom

CarolinaMom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:16 AM

I am aware of the risks with taking antibotics to treat acne. I guess time will tell whether or not he will be affected long term. When he began to wear hooded sweatshirts to school to cover his face last year, we had to weigh the good with the bad. The emotional side effects are so devastating for teens who are suffering with acne and I wish there were more options out there to help them cope. My daughter took antibotics until she "grew" out of it without the side effects and I'm hoping my son can do the same.

His acne never got worse. It just wasn't getting any better. The doxy/differin regimine got him to the point where I would say he had a moderate case of acne and we were optimistic that he was on the right track. But after several months, it was time to try something different.

He does not have any other skin conditions.

#14 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

I am aware of the risks with taking antibotics to treat acne. I guess time will tell whether or not he will be affected long term. When he began to wear hooded sweatshirts to school to cover his face last year, we had to weigh the good with the bad. The emotional side effects are so devastating for teens who are suffering with acne and I wish there were more options out there to help them cope. My daughter took antibotics until she "grew" out of it without the side effects and I'm hoping my son can do the same.

His acne never got worse. It just wasn't getting any better. The doxy/differin regimine got him to the point where I would say he had a moderate case of acne and we were optimistic that he was on the right track. But after several months, it was time to try something different.

He does not have any other skin conditions.

thats good to hear. I wish your son the best

#15 CarolinaMom

CarolinaMom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

Thank you! I'll try to keep up this thread updated periodically.

#16 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

you are welcome.

I guess i should share my story regarding antibiotics. I took doxycycline for 4-5 months (100mg 2x a day) a year ago. After my course, about 5 months later, my seborrheic dermatitis spread from eyebrows to all over face. I also started getting more under the skin bumps and weird comedonal type acne. Basically, it worsened matters and it has really saddened me. I have also started developing redness on my nose.

I dont know if antibiotics caused this, or maybe i was just going to get this (The stress levels did not help either), but i thought i should let you know..

#17 Wsx

Wsx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

I hope your son has good results, I am a couple of years older than him and on antibiotics as well.

Hopefully he knows he is not alone in the world! Best of luck and health :).

#18 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:09 AM

I hope your son has good results, I am a couple of years older than him and on antibiotics as well.

Hopefully he knows he is not alone in the world! Best of luck and health Posted Image.

wsx how long have u been on antibiotics?

#19 LoganH1920

LoganH1920

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

Morning:

Skin and Laser BP 5%

Kavi SPF 30 Moisturizer

Evening:

Ziana

Kavi SPF 30 Moisturizer

Thursday Evenings:

have you read about the dangers of oral antibiotics?

Did your sons acne get dramtically worse after stopping antibiotics at any point in time?

Also, did he develop any other skin conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis or eczema?

What are the dangers becuase ive been taking Doxycycline for about a week ive had no side effects or anything im j/w

#20 CarolinaMom

CarolinaMom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

Mostly headaches, nausea are the immediate side effects. Sounds like you are doing fine without having these. Long term you can build up a resistance to the antibiotic or possibly develop a form of acne that is resistant to antibiotics. Like all medications there are always a host of "possible" side effects and the antibiotics will not "cure" acne.

That being said...

Antibiotics helped my daughter is her teenage years and are helping my son manage his.

Best of luck to you. I hope you are on the road to finding a regimine that will work for you.