Photo

To Shave or not??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 lirussel

lirussel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:39 AM

Does anyone know whether it is better to keep clean shaven or to let beard grow??

I prefer clean shaven but would be willing to let stubble grow that bit longer before shaving if less frequent shaving helped my acne.

Any thoughts???

#2 maverick6539

maverick6539

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:34 PM

I'm not an expert, but I can tell you from my own experiences.

Shaving is slightly irritating, but I notice for me, it cleans the skin up a lot. I saw that Caroline Manzo (from the Real Housewives of New Jersey) shaves her face (because it exfoliates) and I had to try it out. I was already shaving, but I tried it on my forehead. A lot of dead skin came up and my skin looked much better. When I put my acne stuff on, it is more irritating, but I haven't had any real issues. I found a great combo of products that has pretty much eliminated my acne (when I am not lazy and actually use it lol), but I will make a thread for that.

I wouldn't use shaving cream if I were you. I think it probably clogs pores. I find that cold water works just as well.

#3 wheezle

wheezle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

For me, shaving is better. Warm water, face wash, and a sharp enough blade and you shouldn't be getting any irritation.

#4 switch124

switch124

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

For some reason my skin always seems to get better when I grow out some stubble. Maybe its just the hair covering up the acne but it almost feels better. Then as soon as I shave my face all my acne, even if a pimple isnt active, will get real red and irritated. I've tried a bunch of different products and now I use oatmeal shaving cream of some sort which has been doing me well. Anyway, as a preference ill grow out my beard as long as I can before it gets to seriously irritate me.

#5 Billylee

Billylee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:02 AM

Up until September this year I would definitely have said "not shave". Since then though I have been following the DKR and it has worked wonders. Shaving has caused me problems for as long as I can remember. If I knew I had an upcoming occasion where I wished to look well groomed then I would stop shaving weeks in advance. This would allow my skin enough time to repair and initially my face would look fine after a shave. Unfortunately on most occasions I would develop a bad breakout within 24-48 hours and the resulting blemishes were painful and unsightly.

Now though it is completely different. I follow the regimen to the letter and this allows me to shave as often as I like. I started with baby steps so as not to trigger a bad breakout early on. Initially I used a trimmer every fews days for a month, then wet shaved once a week for a month. Now I shave twice a week which to be honest is enough for me. I noticed the trimming very close to the skin caused less irritation and was the better opion before DKR but since using BP I find that it causes more flakiness of the skin. Wet shaving is now my preferred method and it definitely strips away dead and flaky skin. My complexion now looks much smoother and healthier and I don't suffer any real irritation, application of BP and moisturiser is also made much easier without stubble. I simply moisten my face, prior to shaving, with warm water, then apply a shaving gel for sensitive acne prone skin, and use a Mach 3 razor. Afterwards I cleanse and following the DKR as normal.

Judging by various comments I have read it appears that it is still a very individual thing and what works for one may not work for another. I took the risk of experimenting and it paid off, if I was to offer any advice it would be to experiment a little yourself.

#6 Archermitch

Archermitch

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

Dan, the creator of this website and its regimine, said in the video that it's best not to let it grow out. smile.gif

#7 greentiger87

greentiger87

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

Yeah, unless you're growing it out for a specific reason, you reduce irritation by shaving everyday. Let it grow out just a few days here and there will result in more irritation - the hair is long, pulling increases, the pressure you need to cut increases, you may have to use multiple passes, the medication you're using might have a harder time getting to the skin... etc. etc.

That said, sometimes I'm just lazy... and won't shave for a week. Then I have to use something like an oatmeal turmeric mask after shaving to keep that from biting me in the ass...

#8 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:45 AM

does this apply to trimming as well (i.e. using a beard trimmmer?)

#9 Tedgreat

Tedgreat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

I honestly have to echo that its great to shave more: but it is largely dependent on the severity of your acne. People with relatively clear or mild acne can see significant improvement in the skin's texture and appearance with consistent shaving . The process of shaving is an excellent way to take care of the skin because it employs exfoliation, moisturizing and skin renewal. To leave hair to grow can cause trapped bacteria and dead cells to accumulate, and long, coarse hair can lead to ingrown hairs and pimples when attempted to be cut. I try to shave whenever possible because it employs good habits; usually on weekends I will let my skin 'breath' so to speak.

#10 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE (Tedgreat @ Mar 17 2011, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I honestly have to echo that its great to shave more: but it is largely dependent on the severity of your acne. People with relatively clear or mild acne can see significant improvement in the skin's texture and appearance with consistent shaving . The process of shaving is an excellent way to take care of the skin because it employs exfoliation, moisturizing and skin renewal. To leave hair to grow can cause trapped bacteria and dead cells to accumulate, and long, coarse hair can lead to ingrown hairs and pimples when attempted to be cut. I try to shave whenever possible because it employs good habits; usually on weekends I will let my skin 'breath' so to speak.

hey tedgreat, does that mean you are completely against trimming with a beard trimmer?

And if you do have long coarse hair... will it NOT give you pimples if you just trim over it with a beard trimmer instead of shaving it?

Also, how often do you shave? I never shave, but i just use a beard trimmer to trim close to the face

#11 captainsunshine

captainsunshine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

I'm growing a beard for charity during the month of November, usually though, I use my electric razor. Haven't used a blade or shaving foam on my skin for years, my skin was always too angry.

#12 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

I'm growing a beard for charity during the month of November, usually though, I use my electric razor. Haven't used a blade or shaving foam on my skin for years, my skin was always too angry.

just curious, but why not use a beard trimmer instead?

#13 captainsunshine

captainsunshine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:10 AM

just curious, but why not use a beard trimmer instead?

A beard trimmer doesn't give me a close shave feeling, besides, I've bought two, and broken two.

#14 Tedgreat

Tedgreat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (Tedgreat @ Mar 17 2011, 04:14 PM)

hey tedgreat, does that mean you are completely against trimming with a beard trimmer?

And if you do have long coarse hair... will it NOT give you pimples if you just trim over it with a beard trimmer instead of shaving it?

Also, how often do you shave? I never shave, but i just use a beard trimmer to trim close to the face

A beard trimmer is pretty efficient and definetly pretty fast and less impactful, but a wet shave definetly gives the closest shave. I am not against beard trimmers at all: all the power to you if it works for you. I am just a huge proponent of the prep and post work of wet shaving that promotes great skin when done correctly. In response to shaving times, I try to shave at least every two days, if not every day. Even with acne, I noticed a significant difference in my skin for the better and sure enough, I became clear and have stayed clear.

#15 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:12 AM

QUOTE (Tedgreat @ Mar 17 2011, 04:14 PM)

A beard trimmer is pretty efficient and definetly pretty fast and less impactful, but a wet shave definetly gives the closest shave. I am not against beard trimmers at all: all the power to you if it works for you. I am just a huge proponent of the prep and post work of wet shaving that promotes great skin when done correctly. In response to shaving times, I try to shave at least every two days, if not every day. Even with acne, I noticed a significant difference in my skin for the better and sure enough, I became clear and have stayed clear.

how bad exactly is your acne?

How do you wet shave with inflamed acne?

#16 Tedgreat

Tedgreat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

My acne was very bad as a teenager; oily, ruddy, pimples, and clogged pores. I would classify it as pretty mild. It was very inflamed and terribly uncomfortable. In my experience, I found that cleansers and exfoliators were only half the solution; shaving properly and consistently helped a great deal. My skin began to lose it's bad texture and turned more even and clear. Being in my mid twenties now, I have noticed the effectiveness in the last several years.

Now if you have more severe acne, i.e. postules, uneven and broken skin, it would probably be best to shave with a beard trimmer as not to provoke any more irritation and more acne. Having said this, I still very much recommend the proper care and attention involved in wet shaving to combat acne because the results are fanatstic. Research some great sites or youtube videos; a great one is the Art of Shaving. Good luck

#17 steven m jacobson

steven m jacobson

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:23 PM

I would suggest using an electric shaver, much less irritating than a three or even 5 bladed razor. Letting stubble grow is probably your best bet if you have sensitive skin, shaving everyday just takes the oil and acid mantle that your skin naturally produces to help kill bacteria and moisturize at the same time, trust me the skin knows a thing or two about taking care of itself, just look at any cuts you get.

#18 jefrey

jefrey

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:41 AM

Shaving makes your skin clear from hair irritation(because you have a long beard) but shaving can also cause irritation. I use scissor to cut my facial hair, helps avoid irritation .

#19 jaygo

jaygo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

Shave if you can beard trim for sure. I trim my beard to number 3 on my trimmer, as i like having a beard, but i do notice that i have an increase in the spot when my beard is properly long, purely becuase it's harder to wash with cleanser properly, so oil and dirt is more likely to get trapped.