calcium

6 replies to this topic

#1 jackass

jackass

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2004 - 07:09 PM

Forget all these synthetic drugs designed to keep you 'hooked'. Pharmaceutical corporations make millions on poor teens and young adults caught in the breakout cycle. The best thing you can do for your skin(as well as yourself) is to live a healthy lifestyle. Diet does play a key role in overall health including skin. Stop eating all these processed foods that have invaded our supermarkets. The best diet you could go by is the strictly natural diet(NO SUGAR). Fruits, vegetables, seafood, even meat is ok(in moderation) as long as it is a fresh cut of pure meat. Dairy products are not recommended for most people, get your calcium from supplements. Just make sure not to overdose your supplements, for you could find yourself in a world of pain. Most importantly GET OFF YOUR CHAIR and get some excercise. Sweat and sun play a vital role in cleaning your skin from the inside-out. Go get your sweat on, and then go jump in a pool or go to the beach. Swimming is a great exercise for your skin and lungs. Inactivity is the culprit of most illnesses. STOP FUNDING THESE LARGE GREEDY CORPORATIONS AND TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE.

#2 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2004 - 07:27 PM

Some sound advice, I'd say.

#3 ~TEPL0~

~TEPL0~

back from the dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2004 - 07:36 PM

good advice, however I do all that, and I still have acne.

#4 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2004 - 11:43 PM

That's sound advice. Sugar stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin, a hormone that causes the sebaceous glands to secrete excess sebum, on which p. acnes bacteria thrive.

You mentioned swimming as a good exercise. A benefit of swimming in a pool of chlorinated water is that the chlorine sanitizes the skin. After an hour in the pool, during which the head is frequently dunked, the skin is essentially germ-free.

#5 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2004 - 12:06 AM

The skin is never germ free. And sugar doesn't boost sebum production nearly that much. Otherwise, you'd see much more greasy-skinned ice cream fans.

Overreacting is just as bad as underreacting.

#6 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:00 AM

swimming is probably the best form of exercise there is... its easy on the joints, and it works out the entire body.

#7 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2004 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Aug 6 2004, 10:53 PM)
The skin is never germ free. And sugar doesn't boost sebum production nearly that much. Otherwise, you'd see much more greasy-skinned ice cream fans.

Overreacting is just as bad as underreacting.

>The skin is never germ free.

I wrote "essentially" germ free, and I was referring to the surface of the skin. Apply an antiseptic to the skin long enough, and all surface germs are killed. That is why alcohol is swabbed onto the skin prior to a hypodermic injection, and why the skin is swabbed with iodine solution prior to a surgical incision.

>And sugar doesn't boost sebum production nearly that much. Otherwise, you'd see much more greasy-skinned ice cream fans.

Ice cream isn't so bad, because it also contains significant amounts of fat and protein. However, there are quite a few pimply candy and soda pop lovers.

>Overreacting is just as bad as underreacting.

Whatever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users