4 replies to this topic

#1 nessie01

nessie01

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:39 AM

Hey there, just a quick question...can anyone tell me, do Fishoil tabs help with preventing scarring and/or minimize the appearance of pre-exisiting scarring? I know of the other health benefits but just wondering if it helps the skin...anyone know? eusa_think.gif

Edited by nessie01, 18 September 2010 - 03:40 AM.

#2 DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:27 AM

Nessie, the only clinically proven indication for Fish Oil is for people with heart conditions. This is from Consumer Reports.

Do they work?
If you have high blood pressure, taking a fish oil supplement each day may help lower it.

You will need to take 3 grams a day. You might find this difficult or unpleasant. Too much fish oil can cause stomach problems and bad breath. It can leave a fishy taste in your mouth.

Having high blood pressure increases your chance of having a heart attack or a stroke
You have a stroke when the blood supply to a part of your brain is cut off. This damages your brain and can cause symptoms like weakness or numbness on one side of your body. You may also find it hard to speak if you've had a stroke. stroke. We don't know if taking fish oil supplements will reduce this risk.

What are they?
Fish oil supplements are capsules that contain the omega-3 fatty acids DHA (docosahexanoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentanoic acid). These are the same as the fatty acids found in oily fish such as trout, mackerel, sardines and salmon. Omega-3 fatty acids are also called n-3 fatty acids.

How can they help?
Taking 3 grams of fish oil supplements each day may lower your blood pressure. Studies show that taking these supplements can lower the top number of your blood pressure reading (the systolic pressure) by an average of 4.5 points. They can lower the bottom number (the diastolic pressure) by 2.5 points. Source:
Morris MC, Sacks F, Rosner B.
Does fish oil lower blood pressure? A meta-analysis of controlled trials.
Circulation. 1993; 8: 523-533.
Studies do not show whether taking fish oil will reduce your risk of getting a heart disease
You get heart disease when your heart isn't able to pump blood as well as it should. This can happen for a variety of reasons. heart disease or having a stroke.
The studies used different mixtures of oils, so we can't say for sure if one type of fish oil supplement works better than another.
Why should they work?
We're not sure how fish oils work in the body to lower blood pressure. But doctors became interested in fish oils after they noticed that people who eat lots of fish have lower blood pressure and are less likely to have heart disease than those who don't eat lots of fish.

Fish oils may help keep blood vessels stretchy. And this may make it easier for blood to flow through them.

Can they be harmful?
About a third of people taking 3 grams of fish oil supplements a day get stomach pain, belching, bad breath or an unpleasant fishy taste in their mouths. Source:
Morris MC, Sacks F, Rosner B.
Does fish oil lower blood pressure? A meta-analysis of controlled trials.
Circulation. 1993; 8: 523-533.

#3 nessie01

nessie01

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:45 AM

Thanks Dudley Do Right I had heard somewhere that they can help keep your skin nice and supple and I was thinking maybe that could help with any exisiting scarring or even prevent future scars occuring...doesn't seem that anyting like that is proven...Damn!

#4 eyecandi

eyecandi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

yes omega 3 fish oil is very good for your skin, as far as scarring though i'm not sure it would have any effect on them. It's only good for the overall condition of your skin, it makes my skin glowy and softer.

#5 Ziko

Ziko

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

If you have taken accutane though, it's best not to take anything that contains alot of vitamine A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users