Photo

A Helpful Little Regimen "Handbook" (two parts: read first two posts)

aha alpha hydroxy acid red mark makeup oily skin

51 replies to this topic

#21 leling

leling

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:11 AM

Hi Kat, My skin structure/surface looks a bit wierld when on Dan regime. Is kinda rough and looks abnormal. Do you experience this?

QUOTE (Kat Kerfuffle @ Oct 27 2010, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (kaarina @ Oct 24 2010, 03:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i read this when i was on the brink of qiutting the regimen. I love your post and i felt like i wasnt the only one walking around with a "sun burnt '' face. i started over and i use half a pump now i wanted to know how long did you wait until you bumped up the dosage because everytime i go to 1 pump my face freaks outs on me:( super redness and emberassing peeling. redface.gif

Hi! So glad my post helped you out smile.gif When I started the regimen, I bumped up the BP exactly like Dan recommended. Half of a pump when starting and by the second or third week, I was using the full amount. The redness and peeling will be extreme..I experienced it too. But your skin will adjust. It can't always be irritated from the same amount of BP everyday.

QUOTE (leling @ Oct 24 2010, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi thanks for your advice. Can i put jojoba oil before BP? I mean my face is already oily. If i put jojoba oil on my face, wont it make my face even oiler and clog my pores? I heard that jojoba oil is only good for those with dry skin.

Does Dan regime reduce comedons too?

One last question. What powder do u use for your makeup?

Many thanks.

Thanks smile.gif I've heard a lot of people on these forums say that putting jojoba oil on their skin before applying BP really helped with the dryness. I've personally never tried this method before. I usually put my BP on, then put a thin layer of jojoba oil onto any dry areas, and then apply lotion that has a couple drops of jojoba oil in it. This works to cut down on any peeling I have. I've noticed that by washing my face a little rougher than Dan recommends cuts down the peeling almost completely. I find that if I'm extra gentle when washing my face, the peeling will be annoyingly present (even after 4 years of using BP). If I wash my face with a little more pressure, it helps a lot. Don't wash your face for long periods of time..just wash it for about 20 seconds with a little bit more pressure to your fingertips.

Jojoba oil is thought to help oil production. This is true for both people with dry skin and oily skin. It makes your skin think it has enough sebum and so it doesn't produce as much. You might want to start with a few drops instead of just layering it on by itself..it will look oily. I usually use a napkin to dab off any excess oil.

Dan's regimen will reduce and get rid of any type of acne. Cystic pimples, small pimples, those persistent zits that won't go away. The BP clears out all your pores and makes your skin look and feel fresher.

I personally use Covergirl Clean Pressed Powder (original). This seems to work really well. If I feel like my nose is a little oily when going out, I'll just powder my nose a bit.

#22 Kat Kerfuffle

Kat Kerfuffle

Kat

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Writing, movies, cemeteries, paranormal investigation, & cats.

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (leling @ Nov 2 2010, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Kat, My skin structure/surface looks a bit wierld when on Dan regime. Is kinda rough and looks abnormal. Do you experience this?

I used to experience this too. If you mean that your face looks rather bumpy (without having pimples), scaly, rough, and burnt-looking, then I know exactly what you're talking about.

Dan says to do the regimen using a very gentle touch. I believe that a gentle touch is the ideal way to calm acne. Acne is inflammation and when it comes to inflammation, aggravating it by rubbing will only make it worse.

HOWEVER, with that said, I believe that by using such a gentle touch (barely touching the skin -as Dan puts it) it can lead to extreme dry skin and a rough skin texture. Basically, your face is so rough because it is displaying caked on patches of dry skin. Once your skin is clear of any acne lesions, try to start washing your face using a little more pressure on your fingertips.

When I was having a bad breakout from sleeping in my makeup, I went back to gentle washing and gentle BP applications. And while that helped ease my breakout, my dry skin went crazy and my skin texture looked scaly and uneven..despite not having any pimples!

After my acne cleared, I began putting a little more pressure to my face when washing and applying BP. Wash your face for only about 10-20 seconds, however, wash with a little more force. Some people would consider this a form of exfoliation, but unless washing your face with water is a form of exfoliation, I don't think it is.

I'm actually thinking of starting a thread on acne.org with pictures - what I look like when I use gentle pressure (IE: really dry skin) and what I look like by washing my face normally, without worrying about gentle pressure (IE: normal looking skin). I may be doing this within the next few weeks.

Hope this helped!

Edited by Kat Kerfuffle, 09 November 2010 - 07:18 PM.

Regimen User for 6 Years
Started at age 18, now 23.
When I Wake Up:
Get in shower
Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
Dan Kern's Treatment BP (finger's length worth)
Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Lotion (contains AHA) mixed with 5 drops of jojoba oil

Before I Go To Bed:
Exact same as morning.

A Helpful Little Regimen "Handbook"

#23 leling

leling

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:26 AM

Hi Kat

I think what you describe on the face structure is right. Bumpy and rough. Sometimes no pimples, but the surface is not smooth, unlike normal acne free people. I dont understand why is it like this. Does BP cause roughness to the skin or too much / too frequent use of BP does not allow the skin have the time to restructure itself in a normal way?

I think it would be great for you to post pictures on proper way of cleaning the face.

Thanks so much, Kat!

QUOTE (Kat Kerfuffle @ Nov 10 2010, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (leling @ Nov 2 2010, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to experience this too. If you mean that your face looks rather bumpy (without having pimples), scaly, rough, and burnt-looking, then I know exactly what you're talking about.

Dan says to do the regimen using a very gentle touch. I believe that a gentle touch is the ideal way to calm acne. Acne is inflammation and when it comes to inflammation, aggravating it by rubbing will only make it worse.

HOWEVER, with that said, I believe that by using such a gentle touch (barely touching the skin -as Dan puts it) it can lead to extreme dry skin and a rough skin texture. Basically, your face is so rough because it is displaying caked on patches of dry skin. Once your skin is clear of any acne lesions, try to start washing your face using a little more pressure on your fingertips.

When I was having a bad breakout from sleeping in my makeup, I went back to gentle washing and gentle BP applications. And while that helped ease my breakout, my dry skin went crazy and my skin texture looked scaly and uneven..despite not having any pimples!

After my acne cleared, I began putting a little more pressure to my face when washing and applying BP. Wash your face for only about 10-20 seconds, however, wash with a little more force. Some people would consider this a form of exfoliation, but unless washing your face with water is a form of exfoliation, I don't think it is.

I'm actually thinking of starting a thread on acne.org with pictures - what I look like when I use gentle pressure (IE: really dry skin) and what I look like by washing my face normally, without worrying about gentle pressure (IE: normal looking skin). I may be doing this within the next few weeks.

Hope this helped!

#24 chiefparten

chiefparten

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

I really got to agree with you about the over analyzing your face thing. I'm a guy and I use to not have a care in the world about what my face looked like. Even when I was 18-19 and my acne was at its worst I still didn't seem to care what it made me look like.

it wasn't until my parents had me start a regimen on pro-active to get it under control that I really started to care about how my face looked and especially how I thought about what other people thought of my face, since now i was looking at my face in the mirror twice a day for 30 some minutes whenever i applied the bp. Kinda begs the question of weather its better to live in ignorance or have to face the truth. lol

Anyways, I've been on dans regimen since the beginning of summer and have had had good results when compared with pictures of me now and when I was 19. It's been 4 months and i still get a bit of dryness around my eyebrows, under my eyes and around my mouth. But i dare says dryness is much better then having dozens of white heads and red marks all over my face.

#25 leling

leling

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:51 AM

I agree with you that dryness is better than acne. But does your face look very unnatural when on dan regime even though your face is clear. Is not smooth. Surface is rough & bumpy

QUOTE (chiefparten @ Nov 17 2010, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really got to agree with you about the over analyzing your face thing. I'm a guy and I use to not have a care in the world about what my face looked like. Even when I was 18-19 and my acne was at its worst I still didn't seem to care what it made me look like.

it wasn't until my parents had me start a regimen on pro-active to get it under control that I really started to care about how my face looked and especially how I thought about what other people thought of my face, since now i was looking at my face in the mirror twice a day for 30 some minutes whenever i applied the bp. Kinda begs the question of weather its better to live in ignorance or have to face the truth. lol

Anyways, I've been on dans regimen since the beginning of summer and have had had good results when compared with pictures of me now and when I was 19. It's been 4 months and i still get a bit of dryness around my eyebrows, under my eyes and around my mouth. But i dare says dryness is much better then having dozens of white heads and red marks all over my face.

#26 Kat Kerfuffle

Kat Kerfuffle

Kat

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (leling @ Nov 14 2010, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Kat

I think what you describe on the face structure is right. Bumpy and rough. Sometimes no pimples, but the surface is not smooth, unlike normal acne free people. I dont understand why is it like this. Does BP cause roughness to the skin or too much / too frequent use of BP does not allow the skin have the time to restructure itself in a normal way?

I think it would be great for you to post pictures on proper way of cleaning the face.

Thanks so much, Kat!

Hey smile.gif All BP does is clear out the pores, kill bacteria, and peel the skin to encourage new skin cell growth. What you're experiencing is just a buildup of dead, dry skin on the top..which is caused by dry skin! By exfoliating more (either washing a little rougher or using more jojoba oil), your skin will begin to become smoother. Give it about a week.

If you've been on the regimen for a few months, remember that the roughness is MONTHS worth of caked on dry skin...it'll take a couple of days to fully scrub it off. By washing rougher, your skin will be a lot smoother in no time!

Regimen User for 6 Years
When I Wake Up:
Get in shower
Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Lotion (contains AHA) mixed with 5 drops of jojoba oil

Before I Go To Bed:
Exact same as morning.

#27 chiefparten

chiefparten

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (leling @ Nov 20 2010, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with you that dryness is better than acne. But does your face look very unnatural when on dan regime even though your face is clear. Is not smooth. Surface is rough & bumpy

No my face is pretty smooth now. Mostly just a few red marks left now. Also i've noticed my face seems shinier. Or maybe my face was always this shiny because like i said in my other post I didn't use to scrutinize my face this much before.

#28 MatD

MatD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

thanx for sharing these info......btw w@ does "DKR" Benzoyl peroxide mean ?

#29 Lvth

Lvth

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:17 AM

Great break down! Respect!

#30 Kat Kerfuffle

Kat Kerfuffle

Kat

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (MatD @ Jan 20 2011, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanx for sharing these info......btw w@ does "DKR" Benzoyl peroxide mean ?

DKR stands for Dan Kern, aka the creator of this site and the line of acne.org products to clear acne. I'm referring to the Treatment BP that is sold on this site in the store.

QUOTE (Lvth @ Feb 28 2011, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great break down! Respect!

Thanks so much smile.gif smile.gif

Edited by Kat Kerfuffle, 03 March 2011 - 08:03 PM.

Regimen User for 6 Years
When I Wake Up:
Get in shower

Before I Go To Bed:
Exact same as morning.

#31 Guest_Chels26_*

Guest_Chels26_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:08 PM

Hi there Kat
I LOVE this post! Thanks so much smile.gif Very helpful and informative. I have just been wondering what this "Aleve" medication is that you mention a few times is? It works to prevent pre-menstrual breakouts is what I gathered, but could you explain it more to me?
Thanks smile.gif

#32 Kat Kerfuffle

Kat Kerfuffle

Kat

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Chels26 @ Mar 7 2011, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there Kat
I LOVE this post! Thanks so much smile.gif Very helpful and informative. I have just been wondering what this "Aleve" medication is that you mention a few times is? It works to prevent pre-menstrual breakouts is what I gathered, but could you explain it more to me?
Thanks smile.gif

Aleve is an over-the-counter medication you can get at virtually any store. Walmart, grocery stores, drugstores all sell Aleve. A lot of people, on these forums and off, have said that the anti-inflammatory effects of Aleve help to settle hormonal flare ups before you get your period. This is a quick snippet I took from an online source:

...Aleve is an over the counter medication that has been found to alleviate premenstrual acne and menstrual acne in many women because of the anti-inflammatory effect that it has on a person's entire system. However, Aleve (which contains Naproxen) is an NSAID medication, which means that it is not safe for everyone to take. (For instance, people who are allergic to aspirin should not take Aleve.)

It's definitely worth a try. Before I began having health issues, I would get at least one large cystic pimple before my period every month. Now I don't deal with that anymore, but when I did the Aleve helped to prevent that one pimple from forming.

Regimen User for 6 Years
When I Wake Up:
Get in shower

Before I Go To Bed:
Exact same as morning.

#33 nxt2u

nxt2u

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:55 PM

Hey kat! really a good post!

I've been reason a lot through these forums a lot and I think you give one of the best advices in here

I've been using a cleanser(clean & clear) and a kaiser bp(10%).. I know now that's using 10% was bad by reading some posts in here.

anyways I think I have severe acne and lots of PIH... After a week of reading through these forums I decided to try out the regimen..

Questions:
I think by now my skin is familiar with bp, so do I start applying the full pumps of dans bp?

Do I also need to order the AHA+ right now or do I need to wait until my skin is adjusted to the regimen??

I just want to get clear then deal with the PIH later on..

Your post really gave me some hope in clearing acne!!

Thanks

#34 Kat Kerfuffle

Kat Kerfuffle

Kat

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hi!

I think the regimen will work very well for you, like it has for a lot of other people and myself. I personally would start exactly as Dan suggests with BP application. It's better to start slow, than to go head on and experience problems that may occur. Also, Dan suggests that you wait a few months before you add the AHA+ into the regimen. I, personally, did not like the AHA+ when I used it. It broke me out pretty horribly, and that was after 4 years of being on the regimen. But to each his own! Good luck smile.gif

QUOTE (nxt2u @ May 4 2011, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey kat! really a good post!

I've been reason a lot through these forums a lot and I think you give one of the best advices in here

I've been using a cleanser(clean & clear) and a kaiser bp(10%).. I know now that's using 10% was bad by reading some posts in here.

anyways I think I have severe acne and lots of PIH... After a week of reading through these forums I decided to try out the regimen..

Questions:
I think by now my skin is familiar with bp, so do I start applying the full pumps of dans bp?

Do I also need to order the AHA+ right now or do I need to wait until my skin is adjusted to the regimen??

I just want to get clear then deal with the PIH later on..

Your post really gave me some hope in clearing acne!!

Thanks

Regimen User for 6 Years
When I Wake Up:
Get in shower

Before I Go To Bed:
Exact same as morning.

#35 pwiggin

pwiggin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

Very helpful post smile.gif I have a question....
After a few days on the Regimen, my whiteheads came to the surface. I was wondering if I can remove them without irritating my skin. Is there a safe way to do this? Or will they go away on their own?
Have you had any experience with this?

Thank you!

#36 Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

I loved reading this post. I especially love the fact that I don't have to worry about eating habits because I loooooove food! I'm taking into account everything that you've said about water, and I plan on using bottled water. I was wondering if microwaving the water for about 30 seconds before using it to wash my face would be a good idea? Or should I boil it ? Also, what do you think about panoxyl bp?

#37 je87nn

je87nn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

Wow, thanks so much for all of this information! Unfortunately, I won't be able to start the regimen for another 7-8 months because I'm going to Europe to teach English and I don't want to have to pay ridiculous shipping fees. Even though I'm really excited to be going to Europe for 7 months, I'm really looking forward to coming home and ordering the regimen the first week I'm back in the country!

#38 jmalave85

jmalave85

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Being my Husbands Girlfriend and my childrens Momma!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

Hi, Im brand new to Dans regimen Just started Tuesday. I have a question that I didnt see answered on your post. Believe me I read the entire thing and it is very helpful and you did a great job of writing it.

So basically. I wear makeup about every other day, I switched to Almay per Dans recommendation yesterday.I like to wash it off mid afternoon around 4 or 5. But then I would be washing off the BP treatment. Do you have any wisdom? Sould I just leave it on, or wash it off and reapply the BP in a smaller amount . Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

#39 selmake

selmake

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

Hi, thankyou for this amazing post. I have just started and so far I am only using BP once a day but it burns and stings quite a lot, is this normal?

#40 giveback

giveback

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

best post ever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users