Photo

My Story

fraxel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#21 nessie01

nessie01

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:28 PM

Thanks Starlite. Everyone is different and some people may break out due to a bad diet, some may break out due to stress, others due to different hormones ie bc pill, some things will trigger acne in some people while in others it will not. To say everyone is the same and if you have a great diet that equals a great complexion is not true. It over simpifies things a tad. Skin is so complex and everyone is unique. What works for some people may cause others to react badly. I know healthy diet can make you a healthier person, absolutely, but acne is so complicated.

#22 joe peeps

joe peeps

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:04 AM

No one has ever proved that acne is not entirely caused by a certain diet. The studies done on native populations definitely suggest that it is. Take a look at peanuts for example, for most they are harmless/healthy, for others they are deadly. Who cares if you have the peanut allergy gene, just avoid peanuts. Why is it so hard to believe that this is not the same thing going on with acne. In Western countries we eat the nastiest food. The most logical explanation for the cause of severe acne is that it is caused by something in the diet that can and should be removed. This is just what I think, and nobody has neither proved or disproved it.

"to say everyone is the same and that if you have a great diet you will have a great complexition is over simplifiying it a tad"....

...you don't know this for sure, no one does.

Edited by joe peeps, 07 September 2010 - 12:06 AM.

#23 Starlite

Starlite

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:15 AM

I definitely agree with you that dermatologists have collectively dismissed diet as possibly a huge contributing factor to acne. If a poor diet alway caused acne, however, then most of the United States would have problems with acne, because most people in our country have a poor diet. A person would need to have a genetic predisposition to food sensitivities for this to make any sense. So allergies/etc. make a person genetically predisposed to breaking out, just like something like Irritable Bowel Syndrome would make another person genetically predisposed to being sensitive to gluten. Not everyone gets horrible indigestion from eating wheat, just like not everyone will break out with cystic acne from eating dairy.

#24 nessie01

nessie01

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:32 AM

Agreed! I think alot of it has to do with hormones and stress. That's why if you go on a certain bc pill your skin can break out in the most severe way. Nothing in your diet or lifestyle can change but if you change your hormones one tiny bit...watch out! Look at some pregnant women...some get that beautiful pregnancy glow others break out terribly both because their bodies are undergoing the most dramantic changes hormonally...both out of their control. If diet had that much of an influence, wouldn't we see 10 yr olds who are being fed a high fat diet (lots of takeaway, softdrink, sugar, lollies, chocolate) with acne too?? We don't! Kids, teenages and adults can have the worst diets and still never get a pimple!

#25 ensi

ensi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:14 AM

I think it's all connected - genetics, diet, lifestyle, hormonal changes, age. In my opinion genetics predisposes you to certain diseases (intolerances) that may get activated at a certain age with particular stimulants, in particular circumstances . It's like with all the other diseases, e.g. if you are born with a weak heart, you may react badly to some things like effort, while it will be completely harmless for others; and with age it may get worse, and if you are aware of your condition, predisposition, you may protect yourself from harmful stimulants and be fine; many conditions develop at a certain age, e.g. lactose intolerance (more common with adults)

#26 joe peeps

joe peeps

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:35 PM

It is possible that acne is entirely caused by a certain diet. This has never been disproven. It is irrelevant that some people with the typical western diet have flawless skin. Just like most people can eat peanuts and be unharmed, and to others it can and will kill them. Think about it.

#27 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (nessie01 @ Sep 7 2010, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed! I think alot of it has to do with hormones and stress. That's why if you go on a certain bc pill your skin can break out in the most severe way. Nothing in your diet or lifestyle can change but if you change your hormones one tiny bit...watch out! Look at some pregnant women...some get that beautiful pregnancy glow others break out terribly both because their bodies are undergoing the most dramantic changes hormonally...both out of their control. If diet had that much of an influence, wouldn't we see 10 yr olds who are being fed a high fat diet (lots of takeaway, softdrink, sugar, lollies, chocolate) with acne too?? We don't! Kids, teenages and adults can have the worst diets and still never get a pimple!

hey nessie, sorry for my ignorance but when you say some individuals are prone to scarring, does this apply mostly to individuals with cystic acne or even papules/pustules? I mean my mom supposively had bad acne (but it consisted of mostly papules/pustules) and the only scars i see on her face are like 2 (maybe she popped those pimples). My dad doesnt really have any scarring.

My question is, can papules/pustules, if not popped, cause scarring? I mean i have some scars on my face, but i am not sure how i got them. How long do these papules/pustules need to stay inflamed on your face to typically cause scarring?

I think stress is an important factor. I noticed when i get extremely stressed, i end up getting breakouts and i know it is going to happen too!

#28 gourami

gourami

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

Diet definitely affect acne, when I go on a low GI diet, my acne diminishes greatly.
I'm really upset that we were taught in Health class during high school that foods do not affect acne, and now I'm paying the price for learning this rubbish.

#29 fishpie

fishpie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

My question is, can papules/pustules, if not popped, cause scarring? I mean i have some scars on my face, but i am not sure how i got them. How long do these papules/pustules need to stay inflamed on your face to typically cause scarring?

I have the same question here, anyone has any ideas on this?? thanxx!!