Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dermarolling Results

26 posts in this topic

Some thoughts on my 1 plus years of rolling, just what I did and I'm not saying there

aren't better ways/treatment. I chose rolling, ultrasound, led lights, topicals, supplements,

and nutrition. I have pigmentation problems from dermabrasion and moderate rolling acne

scars (not mild but not severe), chemical burn.

I'm gonna honestly say a 35% improvement, but its hard to say. I saw my "ex" a month

ago and she said I looked fantastic, actually couldn't believe my improvement. So I know its

working (havn't seen her for 1.5 years).

Rolling takes longer than I thought it would. Its so gradual, the change. This method for me

has been positive, but slow. So Im looking at a year from now to have 60-70% results (2 years).

Have to say I really, really, want nice looking skin. So I won't stop until I have it.

Once you see positive results, you're on the right road.

Thanks to lamar1986, munsoned, nancy, others, their threads are fantastic and must reading for anyone

who wants to roll. Hope my comments below help someone. Best wishes to everyone

with the technique/procedure they use with their problem scars.

ROLLING:

I have rolled with a .5 a couple of times, a 1 mm (once I think), and a 1.5 three times.

If you decide to roll, first roll with a .5 mm a couple of times to get a feel for rolling. Others

here will testify that there's a technique or feel to it. Plus there's fear factor. Rolling

with a 1.5 was really scarey the first time I did it. I went from a .5 to a 1mm, to a 1.5 mm.

Use bentadine and sterile gloves, both are pretty cheap. Since I got an infection on my

cheek from collagen injections, Im pretty paranoid about infection.

On the time frame, if you follow Dr Fernandez's theory, use the topical of your choice

for 3 months before 1.5 rolling. My deviation from Fernandez would be to initially roll

.5, .5, then at least one 1mm roll right away. Then give it a 3 month rest. My little theory

is that 1mm rolling right away helps initially kick in the process (but you gotta rest after to

get your sking working properly with topicals).

So I 1.5 rolled in sept 09, nov 09, and feb 2010. Just 3 times. I rolled really "good" the

first time. And really "heavy" the last 2 times. So for 7 months now I havn't rolled. My

best results have been in the past month.....6 months post rolling. My belief is not to

"Over-roll". If you're gonna roll a lot, do it when you first first start. You have to rest

your skin at some point. A quarter sized chemical burn has 30% healed in the month of

August for me, with no rolling at all. I look at the spot amazed when I look at myself.

Its almost strange not to see it there. Again, with no rolling, just letting nature take its

course.

I am about to roll again in September, havn't decided for sure, but probably with a 2mm,

and then rest 6 months.

LED's:

I use red, yellow, infared from LED man. Just recently, late July, I started using

4x what I normally use them, once a month (suggested by the bulgarian derm).

Otherwise, 7 minutes yellow, and 3.5 each red/infared (separately). Somedays I miss

This therapy. I worked out my times ages ago, so don't ask me to show you the math

behind it!!!.

ULTRASOUND:

2x week for 5 minutes. I ultrasound topicals deeper into my skin.

NUTRITION/SUPPLEMENTS:

Vitamin c, curcumin,beta glucan, oral collagen (kinda contraversial as to whether its absorbed),

L-proline (research this with collegan production....... "Ter-proline"), protein powder, and

just added serrapeptase and nattokinese on alternating days (these are contraversial too).

I have for 1 year and 3 months, juiced organic vegtables twice a day, only missing a few times.

Rest. No alcohol. Added l-lysine also (10/10).

TOPICALS:

Recommend a non-acidic vitamin c. I use vitamin a once a week. I will use it post-rolling for a week though per Dr. Fernandez. Anyone

wanting to know specifically what I use can pm me, don't want to be a salesman or seem that

way.

Best wishes

I commend your patience in between treatments scoobie. That's great! And maybe you are conservative in your improvement estimates if your ex could actually notice a difference.

great thread could u please tell me where you get your dermarollers?

thanks

Great to hear... I too have had good results with dermarolling (you can read my detailed post as well!)

Good post! Like you say i think the 2.0mm roller will be good to move onto, you should see faster results with the 2mm version.

If you have any deeper scars, do have a think about using the diabetic needles, these really help ALOT more than the rolling for deeper scars.

You sound very clued up though, so good on ya!

I didn't see you mention exercise? some resistance training would be very beneficial if you can bring yourself to do some!

Take care

Good post! Like you say i think the 2.0mm roller will be good to move onto, you should see faster results with the 2mm version.

If you have any deeper scars, do have a think about using the diabetic needles, these really help ALOT more than the rolling for deeper scars.

You sound very clued up though, so good on ya!

I didn't see you mention exercise? some resistance training would be very beneficial if you can bring yourself to do some!

Take care

Hi lamarr ,

I 've purchased dermaroller from this website .

http://www.dr-roller.eu/

But it doesn't have the 3 line 2 mm roller . May i ask where did you purchase the 2 mm roller and is it the 3 line one ?

Thanks.

I used ebay! this was about 2 years ago though now....so i'm not sure where is best these days!

I got my roller from http://www.dr-roller.eu/, i live in the u.s. and

it took a while to get here, but not problem. The 2mm makes me

nerveous, like the 1.5 I did a year ago. Its all a guess, but my gut

feeling is to do a 2mm at least once. My main concern is infection.

Just have to be real careful.

Results are funny........it hard to give a percentage, but I'd guess

conservatively 35%, probably more like 40-45% though.

Oh I didn't say, but the acne scars responded the best with my

routine, pigmentation second, and for what ever reason, the

chemical burn is the slowest in healing. Its healing, as I said one

burn area has vanished, but the larger area not responding as well.

Although I'm not crying, its definately A LOT better than it was.

The good thing about this area is that there's no depth to it, just

pigmentation and funkyness.

Jacob15, I'll check out your post, look foreward seeing what's working

for you.

later

I got my roller from http://www.dr-roller.eu/, i live in the u.s. and

it took a while to get here, but not problem. The 2mm makes me

nerveous, like the 1.5 I did a year ago. Its all a guess, but my gut

feeling is to do a 2mm at least once. My main concern is infection.

Just have to be real careful.

Results are funny........it hard to give a percentage, but I'd guess

conservatively 35%, probably more like 40-45% though.

Oh I didn't say, but the acne scars responded the best with my

routine, pigmentation second, and for what ever reason, the

chemical burn is the slowest in healing. Its healing, as I said one

burn area has vanished, but the larger area not responding as well.

Although I'm not crying, its definately A LOT better than it was.

The good thing about this area is that there's no depth to it, just

pigmentation and funkyness.

Jacob15, I'll check out your post, look foreward seeing what's working

for you.

later

Hey great post, keep us posted, how are the results? how long did it take for the discoloration from rolling to fade?

Sd, thanks for the update and congrats on your improvements thus far. You are getting there my friend. ;)

A quick update..........

I 2mm rolled about a month ago...... boy are those needles long.

My thoughts on 2mm rolling......... for me it was as painful as a 1mm, 1.5mm,

they were all the same. Some people seem to be immune to rolling pain, I'm

not. I rolled "heavy", which is my style. After rolling, that night, my face hurt

a lot more than the 1.5 rolling. Hurt a lot the next day too. Just a sllight

touch and OUCH!!! The redness, for whatever reason faded after just a few

days. Seems like with the 1.5 it stayed around longer. Perhaps my skin is

functioning better now? What else.... microinflamation lasted maybe 5-6 days,

so for a brief time my skin looked really good. then it went down.

After that, my skin looked HORRIBLE for about a week. Very shadowey, uneven.

That faded after 2 weeks. Now looks good. I see positive improvement creeping

in again, which is fantastic, although slow.

Now its "the waiting game", of nurturing my skin from the inside/out with my

now normal routine.

Depending on results the next months, I roll 3-5 months from now.

best wishes to all

I'm also wondering about the 3-line roller? Has anyone used one and had good results? I'd like to try it. Is it a greater risk for rolling too hard and deep?

Scoobie, you mention that you have some pigment problems resulting from a dermabrasion. Is it hypopigmentation? If so, you're describing my situation as well. Did the rolling help much with that? Also, the dermabrasion and some subsequent scar excision left most of my skin in relatively decent shape except for the lack of pigment. So I'm kind of hesitant to do something as aggressive as rolling with anything longer than .5 mm needles. The Dermaroller website says that definite improvements in epidermal thickness can be made with needles as small as .2 mm, albeit over a 2-3 month period, rolling 3 times a week. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm also wondering about the 3-line roller? Has anyone used one and had good results? I'd like to try it. Is it a greater risk for rolling too hard and deep?

If you have small patches of scars it would be better than the wider one. otherwise just get the wider one. There really arent any risks with dermarollers, ive rolled with 2mm very aggressively and never experienced any scarring or pigmentation problems. The results i saw were about 20%

Scoobie, you mention that you have some pigment problems resulting from a dermabrasion. Is it hypopigmentation? If so, you're describing my situation as well. Did the rolling help much with that? Also, the dermabrasion and some subsequent scar excision left most of my skin in relatively decent shape except for the lack of pigment. So I'm kind of hesitant to do something as aggressive as rolling with anything longer than .5 mm needles. The Dermaroller website says that definite improvements in epidermal thickness can be made with needles as small as .2 mm, albeit over a 2-3 month period, rolling 3 times a week. What are your thoughts on this?

.2mm seems way to small to see any real changes, so does .5mm, You should try 1mm, its really not as invasive as you think.

If you have small patches of scars it would be better than the wider one. otherwise just get the wider one. There really arent any risks with dermarollers, ive rolled with 2mm very aggressively and never experienced any scarring or pigmentation problems. The results i saw were about 20%

Thanks. I just ordered one.

Brink, I'm not sure what to call what happened to my skin via dermabrasion.... I'll try

to describe it. I had some pretty hefty acne scarring 10+ years ago. The dermabrasion

I had done was as deep as possible. In fact, during the procedure, I woke up for a second

and remember the Dr saying "I can't go any deepter", trying to correct some scarring.

Afterword, the procedure left my skin much more even, but the skin was a different texture/

color than my "normal" skin. It did look better though. Over the years, it slowly began to

revert back to more uneven, and worse in pigmentation.

On top of my funky "scar skin" was a self inflicted chemical burn from trying to do a chemical

peel myself. Duplicating what my doc had done at home. I still don't know what went wrong.

So I had a chemical "reddish" burn also.

That said, my opinion of rolling (remember I do a lot of other things too) and what i'm doing

is that is effectively changing my pigmentation problems. My skin is now in better shape

pre chemical burn, and the best its looked in 10+ years.

All that said, I'm maybe 40% into the process of where I want to be. Its slow going.

Dermabrasion was so fast. Sanded off my skin and what, 4 months later it was looking much

better. Just speculating, and I'll never have dermabrasion done again, but if someone

could block scar or the "fake skin" from forming via topicals after dermabrasion, I think

it would work pretty good.

My rolling and other stuff I'm doing is slowly, gradually, renewing my skin and I'm happy

with what I'm doing.

I read others journeys and what there're doing, and I'm happy for them. This is just

what is working for me.

Some asked about using a .5 3X a week. My opinion would be you would cause an

endless cycle of microinflamattion, where your skin might look better, but in the long

run the wound healing cascade would never be achieved, so no long term results

would be sustained. I agree totally with axle, a 1mm used effectively 4-6 weeks apart

would be ok.

best wishes all

I just ordered another 2mm roller. I am not immune to the pain either sd. I just deal with it like you. I commend you on your patience between rolls. This should allow you to get alot out of your treatment. Especially with the 2mm. Look forward to your next update.

This is great news scoobie !

I love how these different techniques work for different people :)

The bottom line is, needling works, but takes time.

After 1 year, I am seeing changes like you are...this coming year should see even more improvment :)

Thanks for sharing.

Adella

Health Happiness and Healing for all :)

I've dermarolled a few times since June with a 1.5 Dermaroller. I'm due to roll again within the next week. I disinfect it and my skin with Povidone iodine. Iodine is the only thing I trust to really sanitize the roller-and I soak the business end of the roller in it inside a small cup for an hour before I roll. I use EMLA cream before hand and roll pretty aggressively.

I have a few shallow, rolling scars on my left check and one on my right. I'd say overall, my scars are only like 10%-20% better than before I dermarolled-but I think they may improve more as I continue to build collagen.

But my pores are looking tighter and smaller and my skintone in general is alot better, more glowing and healthy looking. If I had to quantify it, I'd say my overall skintone is probably like 50% - 60% better. So far I'm really happy with the results.

Adella, what was your rolling routine like?

Recommend a non-acidic vitamin c.

Why's that? :surprised:

I mean why not acidic vitamin C? Is it harmful?

@chinacat I roll often(weekly) but lightly. Never aggressive. Never used a numbing cream either.

Health Happiness and Healing for all :)

About 1.5 years of rolling and skincare, thought I'd leave a quick note.

Improvement continues, gradually. The last 6 months has proven to

be the most improvement so far.

On rolling with a 2.0 mm.......... For me, I can't see ever rolling with

a 2mm again. It was a scarey experience, for some reason with the

longer needle I just couldn't seem to control it as well. I am VERY

confident with a 1.5mm, so I'm switching back to a 1.5, in just a few

days I'll roll again. I had what I consider a fantastic roll with the 2mm.

Afterwords it was VERY painful to the touch.......... remember my

style is roll agressively and then rest for 6 months or so. Very little

bleeding, even with a 2mm. After the initial 2 days of misery, it healed

up quickly. 3 days later I was out and about.

What else??? added l-lysine to my nutrients. Still using led's 3 to 4 times

a week. I do facial exercises 3x week in the shower (takes maybe 2-3 minutes).

These were kinda self-created from researching a lot of different methods,

works for me. Higher cheekbones, younger look.

My right cheek has healed A LOT. To a point where I'm almost comfortable with it.

Left cheek, chemical burn side is slowly healing. Remember I didn't really have

an epidermis, I had a "funky-dermis" from my chemical peel. Its tolerable now.

For me, the chemical burn is slowest to heal. Acne scars, my deepest craters,

are 50-70% filled in now. Still pigmentation problems from the burn though.

Funkyness from dermabrasion on left cheek is smoothing out too.

I'll keep doing the same. Its working for me. I REALLY HATE the slowness

of the process. But I can't do anything more that I know of.

Best wishes to all. Its a tough journey. Recently a friend said I look 10 years

younger now.

I feel for anyone dealing with their scar problems, and wish all the best in finding

a way to alleviate them.