Photo

Safe Alcohol

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:06 AM

Hi smile.gif

I am trying to get my flora back after four years of antibiotics devastated it. I want to know if I can drink any alcohol. I am not a big drinker but I have a Wedding coming up and I'd like to have a few cocktails.I know I can't have beer--that is the worst for yeast, but can I have wine( :pray: ) or perhaps some other liquor?

#2 Ally

Ally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:26 AM

wine should fine.

#3 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:54 AM

Thanks!

#4 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE(emmanuel @ Aug 4 2004, 07:53 AM)
Hi smile.gif

I am trying to get my flora back after four years of antibiotics devastated it. I want to know if I can drink any alcohol. I am not a big drinker but I have a Wedding coming up and I'd like to have a few cocktails.I know I can't have beer--that is the worst for yeast, but can I have wine( :pray: ) or perhaps some other liquor?

Could someone please explain to me (briefly) about yeast and antibiotics?? I don't understand the link - why can't you drink beer? confused.gif

Sorry, I'm completely uninformed here, but I think it might be something that applies to me also..

smile.gif

#5 bestscreennameever

bestscreennameever

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(emmanuel @ Aug 4 2004, 08:53 AM)
Hi smile.gif

Any kind of alcohol will screw up your flora in some way, especially in your mouth.

Knowing this, however, I still have a drink or two occasionally. smile.gif

#6 bestscreennameever

bestscreennameever

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:21 AM

Could someone please explain to me (briefly) about yeast and antibiotics?? I don't understand the link - why can't you drink beer? confused.gif

Sorry, I'm completely uninformed here, but I think it might be something that applies to me also..

smile.gif

I don't know if you're a girl or not, but, as an example, it is very common for women to get yeast infections after a course of antibiotics. The yeast is part of your body's normal flora, but so are bacteria. When you take antibiotics, it kills "good" bacteria, too, of course...when this happens, it is kind of like the yeast realizes, hey, all the bacteria are gone, so I can start multiplying like crazy! And bingo, you get an infection. This is why you often hear people say to eat yogurt or take pro-biotics while on antibiotics; yogurt contains Lactobacillus acidophilus, part of your normal bacterial flora. If you replenish the good while you're on antibiotics you're less likely to get a fungal (yeast) infection.

I would guess that people would want to avoid drinking beer because possibly it contributes to your normal yeast flora, and you don't want too much of it. I'm not sure though, because even though I drink occasionally, I really don't know much about alcohol.

Hope that helps!

#7 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:48 AM

That does help, yeah.

My dermatologist told me I have a mild yeast infection that shows up as a patch of redness on my chin (does that sound about right, and typical of an infection such as this?) - I'm on antibiotics (oxytetracycline) - I'm male though, not female.

I have a few more questions, if that's OK? smile.gif

You mentioned yoghurt, would eating any yoghurt help, or is it just the special 'probiotic' yoghurts you can buy that'd work?

Also, if I chose either yoghurt/probiotic supplements etc - would this help to cure/clear up the yeast infection, or would these only be useful in preventing the infection beforehand?

Thanks. smile.gif

#8 bestscreennameever

bestscreennameever

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(cynic @ Aug 4 2004, 10:35 AM)
That does help, yeah.

My dermatologist told me I have a mild yeast infection that shows up as a patch of redness on my chin (does that sound about right, and typical of an infection such as this?) - I'm on antibiotics (oxytetracycline) - I'm male though, not female.

I have a few more questions, if that's OK? smile.gif

You mentioned yoghurt, would eating any yoghurt help, or is it just the special 'probiotic' yoghurts you can buy that'd work?

Also, if I chose either yoghurt/probiotic supplements etc - would this help to cure/clear up the yeast infection, or would these only be useful in preventing the infection beforehand?

Thanks. smile.gif

I don't really know as much about fungal infections of the skin (although I suppose athlete's foot falls under this category), but I will share my thoughts, if that helps.

One thing I didn't mention in the previous post (and this is going to sound a little gross if you've never heard it before) is that aside from eating yogurt when a woman has a yeast infection, doctors also recommend rubbing some yogurt on the area (the plain kind though, with no sugar, I believe). I don't know if Lactobacillus acidophilus is part of your normal skin flora. I believe it's mostly predominant in the vagina and the mouth and perhaps the intestine. Therefore I don't really know if eating yogurt or spreading it on that area of your chin would help. Hopefully someone else will.

Normally I think probiotics are a waste of money, especially to take for things like yeast infections specifically when you can spend much less on yogurt and get the same result. However, probiotics may have some other helpful bacteria in them (I'm not very knowledgeable about the different kinds of probiotics) that ARE part of your normal skin flora, and that may help the rash on your chin. However, it is still something you have to be careful about, because most of the organisms that make up your normal flora are either pathogens or opportunistic pathogens, so adding to them can be dangerous.

Generally yogurt/probiotics are assumed to be helpful to both prevent and treat things like yeast infections or thrush.

#9 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:42 PM

Guys can have yeast problems too. You are an example of that. Antibiotics disturb your stomach flora as well as the skin, mouth, vagina, and anus. I know... it's pretty gross. Most people don't encounter any problems with overgrowth of bad bacteria unless they are on antibiotics for a while. This is because it(the antibiotic) cannot differentiate between good and bad bacteria, so it kills all the bacteria, thus allowing the bad bacteria to increase wildly.

Anyway, they have antifungal medicines like diflucan, but this kinda does the same thing. It is a vicious circle.

You can take the probiotics and yogurt with live cultures while on antibiotics or after to help build your good bacteria.

Some probiotics aren't that good while others are more potent.

#10 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 08:13 PM

Thanks so much for the help, sorry to hijack your thread like this. smile.gif

I've been looking around trying to figure out which probiotic supplements to buy to help me out with this, and am a bit spoilt for choice (or just plain confused, in other words smile.gif ).

I'm a bit wary about taking probiotics through yoghurt, because I'm not meant to take dairy products with my tetracycline - whether or not one yoghurt a day would make much difference, I'm not sure?

Anyway, as I say, I've found a list of supplements and am a bit stuck knowing which to choose - I'm guessing I need to pick one with Lactobacillus acidophilus?

So far I've found names of products such as Advanced Acidophilus Plus; Bio-Acidophilus ("...repopulates gut bacteria.."), and Floracare (.."A concentrated blend of natural fibre and lactic acid bacteria that is capable of re-establishing intestinal flora within a very short time, by mimicking the natural process and introducing bacteria at the optimum time."). Would any of these be along the right line, do you think? If so, which should I choose, or are they all basically the same (some come in tablet form, some in sachet/powder, I've noticed..) ?

Thanks so much.

smile.gif

#11 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:10 PM

No problem. You aren't hijacking my thread at all smile.gif

The probiotics you mentioned sound fine. I have never used powder form...I think capsules are easier.

Tip: take them at different intervals of the day. I used to just take all of them at once. It is better if you take them 2-3x a day.

HTH.

#12 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:55 AM

smile.gif

I've been told, also, not to take them at around the same time as my tetracycline, so as to avoid the antibiotics wiping the probiotics out :o , would that be about right?

I think I am going to order some today smile.gif - do you think it will noticeably improve the redness on my face?

#13 bestscreennameever

bestscreennameever

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:27 AM

QUOTE(cynic @ Aug 5 2004, 05:42 AM)
smile.gif

I've been told, also, not to take them at around the same time as my tetracycline, so as to avoid the antibiotics wiping the probiotics out  :o , would that be about right?

I think I am going to order some today smile.gif - do you think it will noticeably improve the redness on my face?

I was on minocycline a long time ago, which is a similar drug, and I was told not to eat anything for an hour before or an hour after I took it. It had something to do (I think; it was a long time ago) with certain things (like something in dairy, for example) binding to the drug and making it ineffective. I would think that taking a probiotic or eating yogurt at a different time of the day, NOT with your antibiotic, would be ok.

#14 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:20 AM

It is probably a good idea to wait at least an hour after taking the antibiotic or any drug for that matter.

The reason you can't have dairy one hour before and two hours after taking tetracyclines is due to the calcium and zinc interfering with absorption. This goes for antacids as well.

#15 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2004 - 02:32 AM

OK, I got my 'Advanced Acidophilus Plus' delivered to me today. Speedy service, I have to say! :lol:

Anyway - I am going to start taking 2 capsules daily (each one capsule contains 500 million (!) active organisms, so I'm taking a billion a day!? :o)- the label advises one to two capsules a day.

Does anybody know, roughly, how long after starting taking these will I be able to visibly notice a difference, notably with the aforementioned redness (from the yeast overgrowth, if my derm is to believed smile.gif )?

I have my fingers crossed for this. smile.gif

Oh, also - it says on the bottle 'refrigeration optional' - do any of you guys refrigerate your capsules, or does it not make much difference do you think?

Thanks. smile.gif

#16 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:19 AM

I don't how long it will take to see results in your case :think:

I always refrigerated mine--I would suggest you do too just to be on the safe side.

Good luck and I'm sure it will help! smile.gif

#17 avron

avron

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2004 - 11:25 AM

Wine broke me out. I had like a whole bottle of it though. lol

it broke me out with a huge zit on the cheek