Photo

washing with only water

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 09:48 PM

i know many people have posted about washing with just water or soapless facewash...but i can't find them. does anyone know if just using plain water will help? i have stopped developing deep cysts aon my cheeks fter i stopped picking and started using Cetaphil/Aquanil but now my forehead is filled with whiteheads. although the redness and brown spots are fading more quickly its these whiteheads that look horrible and keep my skin all bumpy!

should i just give up altogether and just use water?

#2 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 09:50 PM

I thought it was normal to only wash your face with water, it's all I ever wash my face with. It seems fine to me.

#3 Long

Long

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:14 AM

After a long time battle with acne I finally got good results when I switched to washing with just water.

Be forewarned, "just water" is a "preventing future problems" treatment. Your existing plugged pores and problem areas are going to have to work themselves out. So I recommend using BP and having patience.

#4 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:35 PM

uncle buck:

do you mean that you've been clear without any other topicals, supplements, or otherwise?

if this is the case then i'd definitely give it a try. it will be a dream to one day not have to worry about carrying around products when i travel.

Long:

when did you see improvement...within weeks, months? and also how mild or severe was your acne before?

#5 Guest_Tracy_*

Guest_Tracy_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:50 PM

I've always found that washing with water alone (which is actually just "rinsing" your face, right?) never really improved my skin or my acne. My skin's just way too oily. Also, I'm a woman, so I wear makeup which means that rinsing isn't an option for me...especially at night. I have really sensitive skin and this cleanser works really well for me and removes even stubborn eye makeup without stinging my eyes or irritating my skin. It's soap-free and cleans well without stripping.

user posted image

http://www.drugstore...BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

#6 Long

Long

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:44 PM

Malia,

I saw improvement within weeks.

At the time I switched to just water I would classify mine as mild (but chronic) adult acne.

Note: I have 12yr. old daughters (twins) who are just starting to battle acne. Their mother (who thinks my idea is crazy) bought them St. Ives Apricot Scrub.
So for a while one was using the scrub and soap and the other was using just water (they both were using BP). The one using just water was doing much better so now they are both on the just water and BP route.

#7 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE(malia @ Aug 4 2004, 01:22 PM)
uncle buck:

do you mean that you've been clear without any other topicals, supplements, or otherwise?

if this is the case then i'd definitely give it a try.  it will be a dream to one day not have to worry about carrying around products when i travel.

Long:

when did you see improvement...within weeks, months?  and also how mild or severe was your acne before?

Well i'm not clear, but i'm more clear than I was when I was throwing crap on my face. My skins looks a lot more "natural" now, it feels better, it requires less effort and thought.

I noticed a difference in less than a week.

#8 craig s

craig s

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2004 - 02:07 AM

i have just started using only water aswell.
I think you replied to my post the other day malia so you know how bloody sick i am of skin products too.
The way i see it is that the most gentle cleansers like cetaphil and aquanil are pretty much like water in a gel form anyway,and if they dry me out and make my skin feel tight why use it.
I must admit that i will probably use a bit of moisturiser before i go to bed( cheap as chips oil of olay) and thats it.i cant stand using moisturisers during the day or before i go out so its the only time available. Hopefully i can get away wiht using it at night only.

Im all for the "only water" thing because after so long i realised that all my mates that have had bad acne use only water also, i know this because when we go away there on surf trips there is never any products in the bathroom and i never saw them carry in a toiletry bag.
Maybe all the constant chemcals and shit on my face over the last 8 years is the reason why my skin is still bad...?
One thing is for sure though, cases of acne have increased over the last 15 years mainly due to the amount of options of bad products available.like i said in my post in the otc forum, my dads family had one bath tub of water to last them for the week and by the end of that week it would be brown with dirt, it was this water that he splashed his face with morning and night until he moved out and got married.

interesting...............?

#9 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:48 AM

craig s:

was your dad acne prone when he was younger? i do agree that a lot of chemicals probably make a lot of people's acne worse but for some people, they could wash with mud and still have clear skin if they are not acne prone.

the cetaphil dried my skin out even though it wasn't supposed to. my forehead especially was developing lines when i squinced my eyebrows together...then the oil started back up and i developed a million whiteheads.

today is my first day on the water method...my skin was really dry this morning but it is 11:30 now and i can see the oil coming out. arrrgh...i hope my skin will normalize soon because i can't stand to have another huge breakout.

#10 craig s

craig s

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:38 PM

No my dad wasnt acne prone but he had a few just like everybody else.
My dad had a few spots when he was growing up, i havent seen that many photos of him but he had a few around the chin and maybe one on the forehead.
When i first started getting bad skin he said that i used to much shit on my face but i never listened.
Im just thankful that i didnt inherit bieng as hairy as my dad or my bro,i still only shave twice a week and im 22. Having shaving rash is one less thing i have to worry about.
its funny, i used to think that i had oily skin but that was because i used a harsh cleanser and had to moisturise heaps to counter act the drying. but now i think about it my skin is probably more on the dry side,my skin has alot of trouble absorbing moistirisers so my skin would always look greasy and oily.
i just washed with tap water then and i have to say it was very refreshing but i dont think i can go the whole day without moisturizing so i used a little bit, the main time i will moisturize will be at night right before i go to bed.

#11 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2004 - 04:07 PM

craig, it seems you and i have the same type of skin. whenever i use moisturizer it just sits there. and i can forget about anything with spf because it stings and leaves this oily film. for a lot of people who have been using too much stuff their skin has just become so oily that they need to keep buying stronger oil removers. its a sick cycle.

how is the water washing coming along?

i am using Netrogena's Acne mask as a spot treatment with the water (a la long's suggestion). though it is a bit drying i just like to see my pimple covered up so i can't obsess with it all night long. yeah, it looks funny with all these white spots on my face but i lock my room door and sleep anyway.

the millions of whitheads on my forehead have started to calm down a little bit. i am sure that they formed because the Cetaphil dried out my skin and the oil had nowhere to go >>> forming lots and lots of whiteheads. anyway, i still have a ways to go before my skin normalizes. it still gets really dry from the tap water and seems to still be producing more oil to try to lubricate itself...

keep me updated!

#12 craig s

craig s

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:52 PM

My skin seems to be going ok so far, i tend not to look at it alot now because i think the more i fret about it the worse it gets.
I have to sat that my skin appears les irritated and more natural if that makes sense.
I have been splashing my face with tap water(about 5 times) and then using a little bit of moisturiser directly afterwards, unless i am going out in which i wait till i get home and put it on before i go to bed.
i think that when i was using alot of products it was really stressing out my skin and making it so tight that it would go shiny,even if there was no oil on it.
I havent tried touching my face for a week now and i think that makes a big difference.
overall im pretty happy with the way that things are going, i find myself getting excited at the thought that this could be the way to clear skin and also because i am finally starting to feel normal like everybody else i know.

My only concern is that because im a landscaper and am constantly get dust and dirt on my face, that the water on its own wont get rid of this dirt...........but as i type this i think that even when i was using a cleanser my skin wasnt clean so why worry about it?
I looked at my skin after i played 2 games of soccer and i had sweated alot and generally my skin looked good(it actually looked better than it would normally, during the day using a cleanser) so fingers crossed. :pray:

#13 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 09 August 2004 - 02:30 PM

its been 4-5 days of washing with only water...

on the first few days i got a few tiny pustules but they went away the next morning. now, my face is actually drier than before when i used facewashes. i still get oil but it is NOTHING like before. the overall redness is diminishing and my whiteheads on my forehead are calming down.

craig, why don't you try using a washcloth to very gently scrub your skin if you're worried about the dirt build-up? i have also found that after a workout my skin feels the freshest.

also, i dot Neutrogena's Acne mask as a spot treatment (2.5% BP)

#14 stoneman

stoneman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2004 - 02:53 PM

I use only water to wash my face. It does make a difference as using a soap before putting cream on your face only irritates your skin before the cream has a chance to start working! Soap tends to take off the natural moisture off the skin and your left with potentially a breakout situation so its best to use plain water and a cream. This routine has been keeping my acne mild.

#15 Peter

Peter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:37 AM

I've been washing with only water for about a week. I have noticed a significant reduction in sebum and blemishes. My face is still red and irritated. Hopefully that will subside soon.

#16 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2004 - 11:31 PM

peter

some people do find that they get a breakout after about a week or so after washing with water. i think i'm getting mine now. but the redness is continually improving day by day which means that my skin is less irritated.