Photo

Why haven't any of you sought prescription treatme

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 05:32 PM

Really, i'm just curious.

I used accutane myself because I had pretty bad cystic acne, and it was a miracle drug for me. I tried all the diet/lifestyle stuff beforehand and it really didn't do squat for me, but I realize some may be different.

Soo....since i'm assuming that most here have not sought prescription treatment for acne (which is potentially better and less of a pain in the ass), why is that so? Are most acne cases here mild or?
before you judge me take a look at you
can't you find something better to do
point the finger, slow to understand
arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

#2 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 05:56 PM

Loads of people on the forum have tried prescription treatments, both oral and topical.

#3 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:02 PM

I was on everything but accutane. I'm certainly not alone here.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#4 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:16 PM

Same with me, Emma.

#5 Guest_Tracy_*

Guest_Tracy_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(emmanuel @ Aug 3 2004, 04:49 PM)
I was on everything but accutane. I'm certainly not alone here.

I was on everything AND Accutane. shock.gif

#6 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:01 PM

Hmm...

Antibiotics - Tetracycline, Erythromycin (noted side effect was clear skin) and Minocycline

Prescpription Topicals - Clindamycin, Erythromycin, RetinA, Azelex (those worked the best)

Oral Prescriptions - Birth Control, Spironolactone (150mg - 200mg), Avandia (2mg)

Gluten Free, Dairy Free, (some other stuff) - The Right Dietary Changes for my Hormonal Disorder worked BETTER than ANY of the above alone or combined.

Puberty began for me at the age of 8. I have been seen by doctors since I was 10. I've had a dermatologist since I was 11 up until I was 16. When I was 17 I got a female doctor that looked at me and said "no, this isn't right" and began testing my hormones and put me on BC. A few months later I got to see another endocrinologist (my hospital wouldn't do all the tests from the 1st Endo) and he said I could take Spiro if I wasn't happy with the results. So, I added that, but it STILL wasn't Enough and a few years later, went back to a dermatologist and she gave me Minocyline!

Well of course it helped for the 3 months I was on it, but as soon as I went off it I broke out worse than before, and in NEW places. I was still on Spiro and BC at the time, and they weren't working as well as they used to. At my former hospital (military hospital) I've tried to see Endocrinologists since I was 13 and finally after my third one (total fluke), I FINALLY got a good one at the age of 20. He diagnosed me as being Insulin Resistant or PCOS and the rest is history...

Wow, when I think about it, I wish I could have saved myself all those years of emotional stuff not to mention the money I spent on purchasing Over The Counter, Mail Order, Internet, and Moderately Expensive (natural) Skin Care Treatments to avoid the "bad pore clogging ingredients", when my biggest answer was so simple. Yet, that's why I'm here now; hoping I can join in and help save someone else some time at least ;-)
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#7 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:17 PM

Have you put more thought into what is indeed the culprit - insulin resistance or PCOS?

You don't seem to carry the traits of insulin resistance (obesity or ease of weight gain) so i'm just curious

#8 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:32 PM

You don't even want to see my list. I have drawers of meds that didn't work :angry: I also could probably tell you more about antibiotics--most of them in every class-- than your local pharmacist...Joy :eek:
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#9 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:43 PM

Sounds like SJ was on everything I was on, except I was on birth control and not Spiro. I was also on a few more antibiotics than SJ was. Nothing ever worked for more than a few weeks or not at all, except for glycolic acid, but that eventually stopped working too. Now, I can do a 50% glycolic acid peel and it doesn't do anything..... :blink:

I also tried every single herb under the sun; from blood cleansing herbs, saw palmetto, vitamin B5 in high doses, tca peel, microderm, peels, V-Beam laser, etc.....

I've probably spent $5,000 out of pocket in the past 10 years. AT LEAST.

Thank God I'm finally clear and understand what breaks me out. biggrin.gif

#10 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:59 PM

The person asked why some of you don't get real medicine. If you have, just say so. I knew this would be a "life story" thread when I saw it smile.gif

#11 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:12 PM

He he, to prove a point one must tell what has been used as some medications are more effective than others. That was certainly NOT my life story. To keep it short again, Evigrex, I carry 5 or 6 symptoms of PCOS, but not the classic symptoms. I carry 2 - 3 of the more recent and lesser known symptoms of Insulin Resistance, but you might as well add the above 5 or 6 too, since it's the contributing factor.

Again, please keep in mind, that my doctor phrased it that way, because they are almost one in the same. Women that are have Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) are usually Insulin Resistant just as those that are Type II Diabetics are always Insulin Resistant. Insulin Resistance is a syndrome (Metabolic Syndrome, Syndrome O, Syndrome X, etc) and so far seems to be the Root Cause of multiple factors or symptoms that can lead to a select variety of health or hormonal disorders.

Regardless of the diagnosis, due to my high androgen levels, the treatments are still the same. Estrogen or Progesterone (never needed this), Anti-androgens, Insulin Sensitizers, Dietary Changes (usually some form of Low Carb) and Exercise. Some women needed all of those and other women only needed 1 or 2 of the above. I thought medication would solve it since I was underweight, and therefore didn't NEED to change my diet, but thankfully, I've learned how wrong my assumption was ;-)
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#12 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Aug 3 2004, 07:46 PM)
The person asked why some of you don't get real medicine. If you have, just say so. I knew this would be a "life story" thread when I saw it smile.gif

I forgot to add that I hope you aren't planning on being a Doctor. The way you ignore what people say, overlook scientific evidence, and throw cracks at us for explaining our CASE HISTORY (aka "life story") shows just how serious, compassionate and determined you are about really understanding acne sufferers' situation. Yet, that is how some doctors are, but thank heavens there are others that DO care.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#13 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:25 PM

No; my career is pretty set at the moment. I don't plan on being a doctor.

And about the listening and whatever else you said (I didn't read the whole list), if you say I'm taking cheapshots, what's with starting posts just to tell me I'm a bad person?

That hurts. Right here. :: points to heart ::

:boohoo:

#14 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:55 PM

No, sorry Ben, but all I did was point out the facts. You're the one that came to your own conclusions.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#15 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE(evigrex @ Aug 4 2004, 02:19 AM)
Soo....since i'm assuming that most here have not sought prescription treatment for acne (which is potentially better and less of a pain in the ass), why is that so?   Are most acne cases here mild or?

Why are you assuming that? Because people still have acne after using pretty much all available prescription medicines or because they are trying something else?

I have also tried almost everything and Roaccutan ( tongue.gif ) and after just finishing my third course of that drug 3 weeks ago, my skin is again oily and I had 3 pimples this morning. The drug doesn't work as good for me as it does for most people.
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#16 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:45 PM

Heh, I can understand those of you complaining about antibiotics. I went through the same thing myself - I started with one particular antibiotic (tetracycline) and used it with results for about a month, and then I developed resistant strains of bacteria which rendered the medication useless. The derm I was going to at the time would then switch me to another antibiotic, to see if better results could be obtained - but I ended up repeating this cycle with all of the tetras (doxycycline, minocycline, tetracycline) and bactrim. The only antibiotics that ever gave me lasting results were bactrim (harsh side effects, near photo sensitivity to the sun.) and the macrolide family of antibiotics. Zithromax worked very well for me and I never developed a resistance to it - even after using it for nearly a year.
Unfortunately, azithromycin is fairly new and rarely prescribed for acne...

Still though, antibiotics are never a cure for acne....it seems that many family practitioners do not understand this. AB's are merely a bridge to a better treatment that can either cure the acne (accutane) or control it (topicals).

Jade: I was just curious. From what i've seen and read obesity seems to be the common denominator among those that are pre-diabetic - according to medical textbooks and studies that I have read. But then again, if everything worked by "textbook" we would all be well ahead of this game and never have to deal with stubborn acne. I'm just wondering if the effects you get (from avandia) are more from the insulin sensitizing or anti-androgenic properties.

#17 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(Sam The Man @ Aug 4 2004, 12:30 AM)
QUOTE(evigrex @ Aug 4 2004, 02:19 AM)
Soo....since i'm assuming that most here have not sought prescription treatment for acne (which is potentially better and less of a pain in the ass), why is that so?   Are most acne cases here mild or?

Why are you assuming that? Because people still have acne after using pretty much all available prescription medicines or because they are trying something else?

I have also tried almost everything and Roaccutan ( tongue.gif ) and after just finishing my third course of that drug 3 weeks ago, my skin is again oily and I had 3 pimples this morning. The drug doesn't work as good for me as it does for most people.

Strange. Very. What dose/duration were/are you doing, and do you use any type of weightlifting supplements or steroids?

#18 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(evigrex @ Aug 4 2004, 11:35 PM)
Strange.   Very.    What dose/duration were/are you doing, and do you use any type of weightlifting supplements or steroids?

I think my first course was something like 8 months and 40 mg a day. The second was about 7 months, if I remember correctly and it was 40 mg eod and 60 mg eod. This last one was 7 months and I started with 60 mg a day and I jacked it up myself to 80 mg in the end. I started to have really bad joint pains with that dose though.

I'm not saying that the drug hasn't helped at all, but I haven't been what you could call acne free since I was 13. What I've heard, some people can have dry lips and such for months after they stop the drug, my lips are back to normal under a week. It just doesn't seem to work that well for me.

No, I'm not on steroids, I'm sure that would cause my face to explode. :o
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#19 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:46 PM

Evigrex,
Ahh, but there are stages to the progression of a disease.

1.Insulin Resistance - possibly for many many years and can be asymptomatic

2. Pre-Diabetic

3. Diabetic (Type II or Type I)

I'm still Insulin Resistant (IR) and I thans to my changes, I may never become a Type II Diabetic (only around 25% of IR do), although I'm at a greater risk due to my father's side of the family.

The way that Avandia worked for me, posted some studies for you already on this, was that it sensitized my cells to Insulin, so that I didn't need to produce as much as before.

That meant, it lowered my Insulin response, which Boosted my Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG).

SHBG was then able to bind more of that Extra Free Testosterone that I was producing. Thus, my body couldn't produce as much DHT (and IGF-1), which greatly reduced my acneic effects. =)

My former Endocrinologist told me that I would get better results if I were to "choose a Salad over that Sandwich, or if I chose that Salad over a Pizza." Well, I did much more than that...and it worked better for me, in several ways, than I would have ever imagined.

Certain Dietary Changes work along that same principle as Avandia, Estrogen, and a few other medications.

Results:

BC + 200mg Spiro = 60% - 75% clear

2mg Avandia + 150mg Spiro = 70% - 85% clear.

Dietary Changes only = 99% so far

(can't recall the exact % but Avandia was slightly more effective than BC and I was usually on the lower end of those percentages as Summer was the only time my skin looked it's best)

HTH

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research: