Photo

What ingredient in pasta makes it bad for acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 civ2

civ2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:34 AM

Is there a certain ingredient or is it just because it's high in carbs?

#2 Ally

Ally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 12:52 PM

Pasta is basicaly just flour and water. Pasta will raise insulin levels resulting in acne. I would avoid pasta for health reasons, it has no nutritional value so not worth eating.

#3 Makaveli

Makaveli

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:03 PM

Don't listen to BountyHunter, Pasta is actually not as bad for you as you think.. It's just that people on TV and all this carb frenzy has people thinking it's bad.

Pasta is a complex carbohydrate, not a simple carbohyrdate (Fruit, Dairy), which is actually known as a 'good' carb because it contains lots of vitamins and nutrients, and the sugar does not go straight to your blood stream like simple carbs.. It's a high carb food so eat in moderation, but complex carbs are the way to go if you wanna eat carbs.. lots of Grains and legumes are part of any balanced diet and help you get the energy that you need..

Biggest suggestion I can give you is to not read this part of the forum because there are lots of false information that freaks people out for no reason

#4 Mdawg202

Mdawg202

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:39 PM

every food breaks you out these days. it sells

#5 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:54 PM

Ok, here's the deal:

Refined White Anything = bad in terms of the Glycemic Index/Load because it lacks nutrients and Fiber, despite being "enriched"

Whole Grain Anything = better due to the increase in Fiber and natural nutrients

However, when comparing Wheat to Rice, Rice is considered worse according to the Glycemic Index, but when you look at the scientific studies, food allergen lists, intolerant food lists, and listen or read people's testimonies (or anecdotal evidence) you will find that Wheat is a much bigger culprit in terms of not just acne, but weight problems, Type II Diabetes, and a host of other things.

The biggest problem some people have here is that yes, if you give up wheat, you give up 90% of the Ready-Made, Pre-packaged, Boxed, Frozen, or Canned food in a regular grocery store. You give up milk too, and you've just given up maybe another 5% Yes it is HARD at times, but if it works for you, then you will find a way to stay motivated and learn how to get around the above problem, because it is WORTH it.

I can give you several scientifically supported reasons as to why (increased consumption of) wheat is a problem, whether it is refined (bleached) or whole grain, but in terms of simplicities sake I'm just going to post this article for you:

"Cornell-China study suggests rice-based diet
FOR RELEASE: March 25 1996
Office: (607) 255-3613
E-mail: SSL4@cornell.edu

ITHACA, N.Y. -- A diet based on wheat foods such as pasta, bread and cereal may be contributing to this nation's soaring rates of diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and coronary heart disease, according to a new Cornell University study.

On the other hand, rice-based diets, and to a lesser extent fish and green vegetables, appear to lower the level of blood values associated with the risk of these diseases. These findings, published in the January 1996 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, come from the Cornell-China-Oxford Project on Nutrition, Health and Environment, a massive survey across the far reaches of China that investigates more diseases and dietary characteristics than any other study to date.

In 3,250 Chinese women living in widely dispersed rural counties, the researchers examined the relationship of various foods with a specific set of biochemical blood tests that have been shown to be commonly linked with diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure and coronary heart disease -- otherwise collectively known as the "insulin resistance syndrome."

"We found that the pattern of blood biochemistries of people in the northern part of China who eat a predominantly wheat- based diet resemble those in people with insulin resistance," said Jeffrey Gates, who has a doctorate in health sciences and works in Cornell's Division of Nutritional Sciences; he collaborated with T. Colin Campbell, the Cornell biochemist and director of the China project, Banoo Parpia, Cornell research associate, and Chen Junshi of the Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine in Beijing.

This pattern includes higher insulin, higher triglycerides, and lower sex hormone binding globulin (a measure of insulin resistance).

"The Chinese women in the south, on the other hand, eat a rice-based diet and have a pattern of blood values that would be considered low risk," Gates added.

In the past couple of decades, many studies have pointed to insulin as being a common factor linking such diverse disorders as high blood pressure, diabetes and coronary heart disease. Recent research also has discovered that sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), a relatively unknown blood protein, is a reasonably good indicator of insulin resistance. Low levels of SHBG are consistently linked to high levels of insulin in the body. Sustained high levels of insulin are, in turn, associated with the development of the chronic diseases mentioned above.

The Cornell researchers, therefore, looked at SHBG, triglycerides, cholesterol, insulin, testosterone, glucose and 21 different food groups. Factors commonly associated with insulin resistance, such as meat consumption, smoking, and weight were controlled for in the analysis.

"Though other foods such as fish and green vegetables were associated with changes in blood parameters studied, the strong effects of rice and wheat on SHBG were remarkable and unexpected," Gates said. "Women in the northern, wheat- eating counties consistently had low HDL levels, high triglycerides, and low SHBG, all suggestive of insulin resistance. Evidently, rice and wheat can have significantly different effects on the important biochemical parameters we measured." Interestingly, both the rice and wheat consumed in these Chinese regions are semi-refined. Gates stressed, however, that while rice and wheat appear to make the biggest impact on SHBG and insulin, certain other foods in the Chinese meal also have an important effect on SHBG and insulin changes in the blood, and thus ultimately, on those diseases associated with insulin resistance.

Gates speculates that "the differing effects of wheat and rice on SHBG and insulin may be due to the difference in amylose content, a particular kind of starch." Other researchers have found that some rice varieties have higher amylose content than wheat; some rices, on the other hand, have comparable levels.

"Several recent studies have shown that starches with higher amylose content slow down glucose absorption and thus reduce the insulin response of the meal," Gates added. "Clearly, the effects of wheat or rice on insulin response must not be isolated from the important influence of other dietary and lifestyle factors such as fat and exercise. However, this study lends support to the idea that certain starches may play an important role in the development of insulin resistance and thus increase an individual's risk for diabetes, hypertension, and coronary artery disease." -30-"
http://www.news.corn....wheat.ssl.html

Here's the Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm....st_uids=8604665

If you don't understand all those terms and my bolded hints, then you may want to check out this thread for further explanation as to why it would have anything to do with acne production for some of us. http://www.acne.org/...=26936&hl=wheat

Hope this helps

P.S. It's not the end of pasta, or maybe some of your other favorites either. There's other grains that are used to make "bread" products. Once in a blue moon I happen to enjoy eating Brown Rice Pasta (tastes better than wheat).

#6 bestscreennameever

bestscreennameever

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2004 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE(bountyhunter @ Aug 3 2004, 12:39 PM)
Pasta is basicaly just flour and water. Pasta will raise insulin levels resulting in acne. I would avoid pasta for health reasons, it has no nutritional value so not worth eating.

Not worth eating?

Pasta=carbs=energy. It definitely has some value.

But maybe I'm just biased because I love pasta. smile.gif

#7 Robert

Robert

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:08 AM

White pasta has very little nutritional value. Whole wheat pasta is another story.

White pasta is made from "enriched" flour. "Enriched" is an intentional deception on the part of the flour industry. They take whole wheat flour, which has close to 30 known nutrients, and they remove the germ and the bran and end up with basically ZERO nutrients. Since they don't want to sell you nothing, they add four synthetic B vitamins back in and have the audacity to call it "enriched." It's actually "depleted." It's basically empty carbs and protein with little real nutrition and zero fiber. White bread is the same.

And whole wheat flour does not raise insulin levels as much as white flour.

#8 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:41 AM

Almost everything is enriched too. It is hard to find un-enriched wheat bread even! If you start looking at labels you'll notice that even seemingly healthy things are enriched.

I heard enriched is really bad for you...it is not natural at all...but I forget specifics. :think: Maybe SweetJade knows wink.gif

That said, I plan on eating pasta if I ever really feel like it, or if I am at a function, but not all the time. Right now, I eat fish, chicken and lean meats as entrees.

I shouldn't eat sugar, but I have to have fruit, so I do :shh: Once I get rid of my yeast problems caused by antibiotics I can eat more. It is tough not being able to eat so many things...no sugar and no carbs at all not even good sugars and carbs...not much left, lol!

#9 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:58 AM

Mhm. Every American wants to lose weight so fast that it's pathetic. They don't realize that if their body dumped 20 lbs a month, it'll gain it all back soon. Best way is definitely to eat less and exercise more. Changing your entire lifestyle to lose weight is a last resort.

#10 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:03 PM

Mhm. What you want to do, though, is eating food that can make you feel full but that doesn't fill you. Drinking lots of water is good for this as is eating vegs.

#11 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:11 PM

I credit my acne clearing when I stopped drying myself out. I drink about 3 liters a day. It's almost a comfort to me when I go around the world but still fill my Nalgene every day.

#12 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(ObiWontonKenoli @ Aug 8 2004, 08:38 PM)
Also- in my opinion its not the carbs that causes obesity, cholesterol and high blood pressure in the US. Its the BIG ASS portion you eat at the restaurant, processed canned foods/frozen dinners, all them big ass burgers (ya want fries with that?), don't forget....BEER. Plus some people combined their bad eating habit with their sedentary lifestyles.

I agree. Pasta in itself isn't bad for you. Eating tons of it and eating tons of fat along with the pasta is bad for you. You can eat a lot of pasta if you need a lot of energy, most people don't, but they eat like they do.

#13 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:46 PM

There are many ways that one's diet can affect them and subsequently their skin.

Regarding HORMONAL acne, if you are the 90% that is just oversensitive to your androgen levels, this particular dietary method may not have a significant affect. Yet if you are among the 10%, such as myself, that is hyperandrogenic (excess androgens), this will affect you.

Certain carbohydrates raise your insulin levels more than others, despite what the Glycemic Index/Load says.

If you eat MORE than what you should, that rule will also apply ;-)

Insulin raises your androgen production

Hyperinsulinemia is linked to Hyperandrogenism

Insulin Sensisitizing Drugs are being given to people that have acne as a TREATMENT

Thus, eliminate or lower your carbohydrate consumption (the right way), and your androgen levels and acne will decrease too.