Feb 16 2012 update on what has been helping
I have experimented with a lot of things.. The candida diet, zapping machines, water fasts, the frutarian diet etc.. What worked you ask? Am I clear yet?
Well right now I am in ANOTHER water fast it is my 3rd day so far.. And guess what organ is detoxing once again? My SKIN.. So right at the moment I am not clear only one small pimple on the left side of my chin which is awesome. before the water fast was I clear? Yes I was not perfect but nothing active. I will answer some questions you may have.
Did the candida diet work?
Maybe to cleanse my system of the candida (if there ever was any) but in the long term NO the diet does not work. You have to take far to many supplements among other things for this to be a natural diet that people should be on. In the end I think it actually made things worse for the texture of my skin because of all of the odd supplementation and no LIVE fruits and veggies.
Am I glad I went on the candida diet?
Yes I am! It taught me a lot about my body. I enjoyed the diet overall and it was a great learning experience.
Would I go back to that diet?
No not in a million years! It was to strainous not to mention your body is not suppose to be acidic all the time which is what meat primarily does to the body.
Did it clear me?
Never 100% It did for the most part but after it cleared me the acne came back and my skin texture looked gross
How long did you water fast?
What did the water fast do?
It healed a ton of scars, smoothed the texture of my skin and got me eating healthy again and off of all the meat and oil. My skin healed so much on the water fast it was amazing. I am actually doing another one right now. On my third day and my last blackhead is starting to come out . The first water fast got rid of all my other blackheads and filled in my pores and scares that had formed from the off supplementation of the candida diet.
How did you break the water fast?
Watermelon juice and then fruits
What have you been eating since the water fast?
:Lots of fruits and veggies! Lots of carbs. I experimented a little after and figured out if I eat mostly fruits and a tin bit of veggies I stay clear. When I tried to bring in potatoes and butter I started breaking out again. Went right back to the fruit diet and was clear again. Not to mention my skin just looks healthier and people have actually complemented my skin since I have been on the fruit diet. You are suppose to eat 80% of your calories from carbs in the form of fruits, 10% protein (also getting from fruits and veggies) , and 10% fat (also from fruits and veggies). Yes sometimes I have more avocado then needed but I love this diet and I am enjoying eating again compared to the candida diet where I felt deprived from things that were sweet.
So what do you eat now?
Apples, oranges, apricots, plums, avocado, lettuce, kale, watermelon, honey due, blackberry, raspberry, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, peaches, mango, papaya, bananas and well you get the idea! Those are just some of the fruits and veggies that I eat! I also make a green drink a few days of the week or just whenever I can. I use anything from broccoli, cabbage, spinach, lettuce, etc. I try to eat about 1400-2500 calories per day of these foods. I eat chia seeds sometimes and will try to add nuts in. I also have salmon (raw mostly) or tuna (also raw) wrapped in seaweed if I am really craving it. I did cheat and ate sweet potato and butter but after a few days of that I was breaking out so if I do cheat it will only be once in a while. This diet makes your body primarily alkaline.
How do you transition?
Very slowly.. I went straight into a water fast and you cant break a water fast with anything from the candida diet like chicken or fish or oils so I had to start eating fruit. That's when I noticed changes! So my transition was immediate right after water fasting. Douglas Grahams book 80/10/10 has been helping me stay on track. Not 100% sure if I will be 80/10/10 but I am going more in that direction right now.
Will you expect healing reactions such as breakouts from a water fast or the raw food diet?
Yes I went through them but now I look almost like my old self before I ever had acne Wish I would of found this before I tried dermarolling, facials, supplements, the candida diet, creams, lotions, products etc.. My skin would be perfect if I had found this diet before..
How much exercise do you do everyday?
I try to run 30 minutes to an hour every day. I also lift weights and to strength core workouts like yoga 3+ times per week. My endurance is better then ever and this is the first time I have ever been able to run an hour at a time without getting tired.
Here is my old log.. I don't want to delete it because I feel everything I went though should stay here because it was a huge learning process for me I'll add more as I learn more. I'll cross out what really didn't help me and add on what had been helping me now
1) Find out your allergins (for example eggs break me out really bad)
2) Go on the candida diet strictly (taking the coconut oil everyday)
3) Exercise everyday (at least 3 miles and do legs/arma/chest/stomach workouts too
4) No picking!!!!!!!!!!
5) Clarisonic skin brush (worth the $$$$)
) High frequency machine (you dont need it but it did help when I has big bumps) However now I dont use it at all and I am clear
7) Red light therapy (for scars)
8) READING healing books....LIKE
***Eckhart Tolle-A new earth awakening to your lifes purpose
***Louise L. Hay-You can heal your life
9) Raw food vegan diet of mostly fruits and veggies. High carb and low fat 80/10/10
Please read these books if you have acne or symptoms of BDD like looking in the mirror all day or avioding mirrors all together... VERY important to have SELF LOVE before your acne will go away
10) Most important is to LOVE YOURSELF.. It will persist no matter the diet until you truly do
Other things that helped....
1) My diet contained no carbohydrates for 3/4 months besides the ones in nuts and veggies. For three months all I ate was salmon, veggies, and almond butter/nuts. However, I have now cut out nuts completely including almond butter.. You have to cut out nuts because they are so hard on your digestive system if it is not balanced. Cheating with nuts is okay once in a while though! I still eat Lots of fish which has the good natural omegas. My diet consists mostly of salmon, shrimp, zucchini, onions, spinach, avocados, broccoli, green peppers, green veggies, and chicken, turkey, coconut oil, red peppers, sea salt, pepper, ginger, various natural spices, and almost any veggie.
2) Red/infrared light and blue acne light used almost every day for the first four months.. now since my skin is almost clear I use it about once or twice a month. **Update** I do not use the blu light at all anymore. Now I use the red/infared LED light about 1-4x per month.
3) Around 2000 mg taurine powder everyday + b-complex 25 + seltzer water (stopped taking taurine however I didnt want to delete it because I did do t for he first 6 months or so of this diet)
4) Acupuncture (was not a cure all but helped with my stress and get me more balanced).. Update.. Met another acupuncturist who (the real deal who doesnt even speak english) and he said my chin area had no blood circulation (the area where I break out) he stuck 2 needles in my face by my chin and a bunch all over my body. He also gave me a bad of some kind of herb or something. Ever since my skin hasnt broken out at all... But it has only been a week. My best advice is find a GREAT acpuncturist.. Someone with over 20 years experience.. They should beable to read your pulse with and know exactly what is wrong with you.
5) Drink only water.. (about 9 glasses a day or 13 if you are a boy) (not needed if you consume tons of fruit)
6) Exercise.. I wanted to add this because it's VERY important to help with my stress.. My choice of stress relief is running, dance, and yoga.. Remember stress=acne
I also wanted to add meditation to this section. Since I have started meditating I feel a lot more balanced and better about my skin texture.
7) Vitamins and supplements I have been taking everyday are
1000-4000 mg vitamin C
b complex 25 or 50 2x per day along with 100mg niacin 2x per day
vitamin D (1000 mg)
vitamin A/zinc/selenium/vitamin E
1 tablespoon full of cod liver oil (when I dont eat fish).. Havnt been doing this lately because I take 20,000 IU vitamin A instead along with vitamin D and I eat salmon a lot!
1 teaspoon full of celtic sea salt
HCL supplement (only when I had digestive problems which I dont have anymore so I dont need HCL anymore)
1 tablespoon full of olive oil (sometimes)
colostrum (2 pills every morning)
YOU get ALL the vitamins you need from FRUIT and VEGGIES! (I also have fish once in a while for B12)
8) Coconut oil (5-6 tablespoons a day)... Update.. I only take about 1-3 tablespoons per day now since I am healthy
9) Apple cider vinegar.. Update.. Dont really take this anymore but it did help when I did take it!)
10) No harsh products on my face
1) Exfoliate once or twice a week with Clarisonic skin brush I only do it when I see excess skin once every great while
12) 20 minutes of sun everyday
13) oil pulling (you swish coconut oil in your mouth one to three times per day for about 20 minutes and then spit it out.. it pulls lots of toxins out)
Things the broke me out at some point during is experiment
1) Carrots (I have drank carrot juice everyday for weeks and had no breakouts so I guess it was just a detox symptom)
Not sure about the rest of this stuff but ill leave it up here.. I haven't really tried eating it since the fast so I cant so what it would do as of 2012
3) 85% dark chocolate
4) Diet coke
5) Sugar free red bull
7) Nuts gave me minor breakouts on my chin but nothing to bad
PS. My acupuncturist said that I have 'allergins' and bad circulation.. Which I suspect had something to do with my acne issues. I'll keep everyone updated! I wanted to add one last thing though.. Everynight I started listenig to these CD's by Kelly Howell. All of he CD's are good but right now I reccomend Living prayer, Universal Mind Meditation, Weight Loss, and Positive Thinking. She has helped me a ton change my thinking from negative acne thoughts, to positive beautiful thoughts.
The KEY to clear skin is not only diet and exercise.. But far more important is your THOUGHTS and BALANCE in LIFE. Until you can look in the mirror at youself and truly say I LOVE YOU and I ACCEPT MYSELF just as you are, you will probably still have problems with acne. (Acne stems from dislike of the self) Good luck to all..
Hi everyone! So I decided to start a log to track my progress.. I have been on the candida diet for about 2 weeks now.. And just started back with the taurine+b complex 2 days ago. I had a huge breakout from carrots (5 huge organic ones which was a minor setback from the diet)..Which gave me 10 huge pimples/cysts on my chin and jawline.. And a couple on my forehead. I was almost clear before the carrots only one pimple on my chin. I also have an allergy test in progress which the results should be in in a few days.
All I eat is fish.. No red meat..No chicken.. Just fish with a little lemon and all different kinds of veggies..some hummus and almond butter..
My face wash is from a local lady who makes her own with no harsh chemicals.. I use no products like benzoyl peroxide because my skin is SO sensitive.
Today my diet/supplements consisted of
zucchini/onions with salt pepper and garlic powder
red lettuce and spinach salad with 2 avocados and extra virgin olive oil and lemon
Yogi stomach ease tea
Lots of water..Some with probiotics and come with emergence C
Fresh Ahi tuna with lemon
Yogi Detox tea
3000 mg taurine
emergence C (1000mg)
Current skin condition: 10 pimples on chin are dieing down.. 2 on forehead are surfacing not really getting better or worse.. Since I have been on taurine I can tell they are drying out
If you have any advice on supplements etc please let me know!
Edited by iamthat, 15 April 2013 - 10:48 PM.