Photo

So any food with the word wheat should be avoided?

gluten

2 replies to this topic

#1 civ2

civ2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:01 PM

At first I thought only foods with 'wheat gluten' should be avoided, but now I read 'wheat flour' should be avoided as well? I'm a complete novice when it comes to acne dieting, so I'm pretty clueless. Does anything containing wheat also contain wheat gluten? Or what?

#2 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:04 PM

I really don't think it would affect you unless you know you're allergic too. And in that case, avoid it -- but it doesn't affect the acne of most people.

#3 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:46 PM

Well you don't know if it affects you until you try it. You can start by just avoiding the obvious ones which would be Wheat or "Flour" breads, pasta, cakes, cookies, etc. and see what happens. However when I did this, I avoided everything that I knew contained wheat or looked like it did except for Soy Sauce. Now I avoid even Soy Sauce and when I want that I used 100% Soy Sauce as the other stuff adds wheat.

What you want to do is decide what you are avoiding. You can avoid Wheat or you can avoid Gluten. Gluten is more inclusive involving Wheat, Rye, Barely and Oats (???). Either way, you want to look for things that say Wheat or Gluten on them, unless it says Corn Gluten (which is usually safe). You want to avoid Wheat Starch, Wheat gluten, Hydrolyzed Wheat protein, wheat flour, refined flour, durum, miso, matza, semolina, Spelt, etc. Wheat has many varieties so you want to look up the most prevelant ones.

Basically if it says flour, it will always be wheat flour, unless it specifies otherwise.

When eating out I ask the waiters if a food I want contains wheat. If they don't know, they usually will go and find out for me and sometimes they even let me see the package. This applies to sauces, gravies, soups as well. Basic rule of them is that if its see through it probably doesn't have Flour (be it wheat, rice, corn, etc) in it. Yet you can always ask to be certain.

There's a lot to this, but I took it one leap or jump at a time. Every few months I would step up my avoidances. There's lots of really great tasting Wheat Free/Gluten Free substitutes that you can try eating now while you are eliminateing wheat. It didnt affect me doing this, but it may or may not effect you. Or you can just go without wheat for at least 4 weeks and see how you feel.

Hope this helps =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users