Photo

Accutane causing Bowel issues? (IBD, Crohns, IBS)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 LK2507

LK2507

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

Hey, I wasnt able to find too many threads on this so I thought I would bring it up. What is going on with Accutane and the possibility of it causing bowel issues ( Crohns, Ulcerative Colitis, and or Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

I have been out of the loop because I have been good with my acne for some time. I took a course of accutane in 2005 for my moderate cystic acne. I am a female so my course was lower.

Either way I have been having some minor issues with my bowels and am trying to find out if I Have IBS or.. hopefully not an IBD like Crohns etc. In my research I started finding stuff about the speculation of Accutane causing these bowel issues. THEN I saw a dang lawsuit commercial and was like oh crap.

Things I am wondering.. If Accutane is to blame for causing bowel issues.. would it start to happen 5 years later or right away? Ive been off accutane for 5 years.

IS this why name brand Accutane was pulled by Roche off the market?

Has anyone else speculated that they have bowel issues because of accutane?
Been off Accutane sinse June 05
On reg sinse Nov-25-05

due to minor breakout after tane, just want to stay clear ;)

-Mornings-
-wash with Neutrogena transparent facial bar (in shower)
-apply lots of BP (dry 5 min or more)
-apply Eucerin Skin Renewal spf 15

-Nights-
-wash with Cetaphil Gentle cleanser
-apply lots of BP

Every so often I use Alpha Hydroxy Enhanced lotion to get some exfoliation and renewal.

#2 Violetmoon

Violetmoon

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 90
About Me

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

I honestly think that accutane gave me IBS. I had no GI issues before I took it but shortly after my second course the IBS symptoms started.

#3 LK2507

LK2507

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (Violetmoon @ Aug 2 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I honestly think that accutane gave me IBS. I had no GI issues before I took it but shortly after my second course the IBS symptoms started.

SO it came on right after your second course? how far away was your first and second course? I wonder if the people who feel accutane caused their bowel issues had more than one course.
On reg sinse Nov-25-05

-Mornings-

-Nights-
-apply lots of BP

Every so often I use Alpha Hydroxy Enhanced lotion to get some exfoliation and renewal.

#4 Violetmoon

Violetmoon

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

I really can't remember it has been so long but it seems like it was a year or so of being off it when the symptoms started. I had about a year between my first and second course. My second course I only did for three or four months though because I started to get horrible headaches.

#5 LK2507

LK2507

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

man.. well, its hard to say with IBS because it is very common. Alot of people have it. The thing is it seems to come hand in hand with stress and anxiety also. I am a very anxious person, have sufferd with it for years so, I am not surprised to have IBS.

ID rather have IBS than an IBD. IBDs actually do damage to your intestines while IBS is just a functional issue.

Both suck though.

What kind of bowel problems do you have if you are comfortable sharing? I just have occasional cramp and a sick feeling with constipation at times. Ive had a few diarea attacks but not in a long time. Diarea is not my problem for the most part.

On reg sinse Nov-25-05

-Mornings-

-Nights-
-apply lots of BP

#6 Siava

Siava

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:05 AM

There's a sticky topic at the top of this forum that explains why Roche pulled the Accutane brand name. The generics are still available.

#7 SClippers

SClippers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:16 AM

There's def. a link between Accutane and bowel issues, the question that's yet to be answered is when these side effects show up.

I'm guessing you could go debates with any side effects and then have IBD pop up. Scary...
I still have a soul

#8 Violetmoon

Violetmoon

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (LK2507 @ Aug 2 2010, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
man.. well, its hard to say with IBS because it is very common. Alot of people have it. The thing is it seems to come hand in hand with stress and anxiety also. I am a very anxious person, have sufferd with it for years so, I am not surprised to have IBS.

ID rather have IBS than an IBD. IBDs actually do damage to your intestines while IBS is just a functional issue.

Both suck though.

What kind of bowel problems do you have if you are comfortable sharing? I just have occasional cramp and a sick feeling with constipation at times. Ive had a few diarea attacks but not in a long time. Diarea is not my problem for the most part.

Yeah it is really hard to say because it is so common and I know many people with IBS who never took accutane and many people who took accutane that don't have IBS so I guess you never really know. I have really never had a problem with anxiety or at least I don't feel like I do.

I would rather have IBS then IBD too, thank goodness for the little things right.

As for symptoms I have changed my diet so they are not as bad as they use to be. I don't get cramping and pain anymore just mostly diarrhea. It's fairly under control now but it still sucks sometimes. When I was first diagnosed though it was horrible I would be sick all the the time and in horrible pain. I would have diarrhea one day and then be constipated the next. I had to stop going to school it was so bad but after 10 years or so it's not really interfering with my life.

I really hope you don't have IBS and your problems are just temporary.

#9 blueeyednycgal

blueeyednycgal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

i was diagnosed with ibs, gastritis and had horribl epains in my stomach for months that kept me up at night. i am convince it was due to accutane
28/F - 5'6"/105lbs
ACCUTANE START DATE 6.1.09
ACCUTANE FINISH DATE 11.5.09

Month 1: Claravis @40MG/DAY
Month 2: Claravis @40MG/DAY
Month 3: Sotret @60mg/(2)30mg Day
Month 4: Claravis @60mg(2)30mg Day
Month 5: Sotret @60mg(2)30mg Day
Month 6: Amnesteem 40mg/Day

**one year later oil is back **

Back on 2nd course starting 9/28/10
Month 1:20mg/day Amnesteem
Month 2:20mg/day Amnesteem
Month 3:20mg/day Amnesteem
Month 4: 40mg/day Amnesteem
Month 5: 40mg/day Amnesteem
Month 6: 40mg/day Claravis
Month 7: 20mg/day Claravis

My Accutane Log

#10 steve32

steve32

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

If your trying to find out if you have ibs or not, why dont you see your doctor, they can diagnos it with tests.

QUOTE (LK2507 @ Aug 2 2010, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, I wasnt able to find too many threads on this so I thought I would bring it up. What is going on with Accutane and the possibility of it causing bowel issues ( Crohns, Ulcerative Colitis, and or Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

I have been out of the loop because I have been good with my acne for some time. I took a course of accutane in 2005 for my moderate cystic acne. I am a female so my course was lower.

Either way I have been having some minor issues with my bowels and am trying to find out if I Have IBS or.. hopefully not an IBD like Crohns etc. In my research I started finding stuff about the speculation of Accutane causing these bowel issues. THEN I saw a dang lawsuit commercial and was like oh crap.

Things I am wondering.. If Accutane is to blame for causing bowel issues.. would it start to happen 5 years later or right away? Ive been off accutane for 5 years.

IS this why name brand Accutane was pulled by Roche off the market?

Has anyone else speculated that they have bowel issues because of accutane?

#11 outlaws

outlaws

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:39 AM

thank you for making this thread, there needs to be more info about this lawsuit. i just noticed this lawsuit on tv of all places. i've been on roaccutane for years and every time i got off drug the acne would come back. i am curious if this is correlation is true because if it is i wouldnt suggest this drug solution to my cousin. so far roaccutane has been a miracle drug working for me in managing my oil levels so i dont get acne with daily mild wash.

#12 blueeyednycgal

blueeyednycgal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

There are various lawsuits and lawyers out there going after Roche for putting this drug out during a certain time frame and not having listed IBD or stomach problems as a possible side effect. people have since gotten IBD and had even parts of their colon removed.

I myself have IBS from accutane, but not IBD. You sufffer from severe pains and have to go for a colonoscopy to determine if you have IBD. i had an endoscopy and found out i have IBS.

28/F - 5'6"/105lbs
ACCUTANE START DATE 6.1.09
ACCUTANE FINISH DATE 11.5.09

Month 1: Claravis @40MG/DAY
Month 2: Claravis @40MG/DAY
Month 3: Sotret @60mg/(2)30mg Day
Month 4: Claravis @60mg(2)30mg Day
Month 5: Sotret @60mg(2)30mg Day
Month 6: Amnesteem 40mg/Day

**one year later oil is back **

Back on 2nd course starting 9/28/10
Month 1:20mg/day Amnesteem
Month 2:20mg/day Amnesteem
Month 3:20mg/day Amnesteem
Month 4: 40mg/day Amnesteem
Month 5: 40mg/day Amnesteem
Month 6: 40mg/day Claravis
Month 7: 20mg/day Claravis

My Accutane Log

#13 jlscott4

jlscott4

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (Violetmoon @ Aug 2 2010, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed you have taken Accutane and was diagnosed with IBS. Did you get diagnosed within 5 years of taking the drug? I'd love to talk with you about your experience. I took Accutane, but was diagnosed with GERD. I am also a law student and can help you find the right lawyer to get you compensation for your injuries. Send me a message and let me know if I can help you!

Justin