Photo

Lemon juice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 MINIac

MINIac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

I am so excited! For the first time in almost two decades my face has been consistently clear of acne for about a month now! I am now able to concentrate less on the problem of acne and instead concentrate on the several years of damage left by physical scarring. (Anyone know of a good product to use for the emotional scarring left behind?) surprised.gif

I just don't know what would be good to use since there is a possibility that my face may break out again. I had read that using coco butter is good to reduce the redness, but I am afraid that might be one of those evil products that clogs the pores. I also read online that lemon juice is good for lightening hair, skin, and scars so I decided to try it. I have used pure lemon juice (only on the scarred areas) for two weeks now and haven't noticed any difference! If it is actually lightening them, it is so gradual that it is virtually unnoticeable.

Has lemon juice worked for anyone else? It seems all it does for me is make my skin dry, itchy, and sticky in hot weather. Any suggestions of a treatment that actually makes a noticeable difference (even just a slight difference), preferably NON-acidic and messy? LOL

#2 bee-monster

bee-monster

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 21
About Me

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

im sorry i have no idea if lemon juice work or not, i heard its good for lightening them up as does any other product with bleach in it.

i just visited my family doctor not too long ago and asked him what was the best for acne scars.. he said time, and patience. 2 things that i hate! eusa_doh.gif

#3 rian202003

rian202003

:^0

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

sorry but how do you apply the lemon juice? and how many times in week. thanks

#4 MINIac

MINIac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (rian202003 @ Jul 28 2010, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sorry but how do you apply the lemon juice? and how many times in week. thanks

I keep the pure lemon juice in a glass container since it is acidic and refrigerate after each application. I just take a Q-Tip and dip it in the container of juice and dab only the scarred areas of my face. Then I leave it on until I wash my face again at night. I use the lemon juice six days a week since I have started trying to lighten the scars.

Bee-monster, that is what I am afraid of. I heard to try creams advertised on TV, but then I read reviews that the product doesn't work. Now I know what I have to look forward to when I go to the dermatologist next. sad.gif Thanks for your reply.

#5 rian202003

rian202003

:^0

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

I keep the pure lemon juice in a glass container since it is acidic and refrigerate after each application. I just take a Q-Tip and dip it in the container of juice and dab only the scarred areas of my face. Then I leave it on until I wash my face again at night. I use the lemon juice six days a week since I have started trying to lighten the scars.

ah ok thaks, i heard about doing this kind of thing before from these boards. have you tried using Apple Cider Vinegar before? obviously it is acidic and a bit smelly but it does have great healing properties. really the only thing made my scars less visual was TCA cross which i did myself, its not expensive. good luck in what you do!

#6 shooshine

shooshine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:16 AM

I use lime juice with much success. It will make the dark, raised spots/scars go away in a few weeks. I cut the lime into eights and put them in a small ziplock in the fridge. Then, twice a day get a piece of the lime, squeeze it into a small dish and spread it on your face with your finger. Rub it in pretty good on the scar, leave it on for about an hour and it'll go away in a couple weeks. This has worked on plenty of my raised scars and brown spots.

#7 MINIac

MINIac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

ah ok thaks, i heard about doing this kind of thing before from these boards. have you tried using Apple Cider Vinegar before? obviously it is acidic and a bit smelly but it does have great healing properties. really the only thing made my scars less visual was TCA cross which i did myself, its not expensive. good luck in what you do!
[/quote]

I have never heard or read online about using apple cider vinegar. I am assuming you have tried it with a little luck? I had to look up what a TCA cross was since I have never heard of it but oh my! It sounds absolutely horrible! Do you just have to stay inside during those days when your scars are scabbing over? Did you use 100% or less? The highest I could find to buy online was 50% and I read to use either 75% or 100% only one time application.

#8 MINIac

MINIac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (shooshine @ Jul 31 2010, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use lime juice with much success. It will make the dark, raised spots/scars go away in a few weeks. I cut the lime into eights and put them in a small ziplock in the fridge. Then, twice a day get a piece of the lime, squeeze it into a small dish and spread it on your face with your finger. Rub it in pretty good on the scar, leave it on for about an hour and it'll go away in a couple weeks. This has worked on plenty of my raised scars and brown spots.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might have to try that because I am pretty desperate now. Yesterday I tried a honey mask which seemed to even my skin tone a bit so maybe that will work too. When you spread the lime juice on your face, do you do a spot treatment or just put it all over your face? I am just concerned about lightening the entire skin color as lemon juice does so I only spot treat to avoid losing color in the areas not scarred.

#9 paulvg

paulvg

Samick Greg Bennett Royale Line Guitars' Rocks!!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (shooshine @ Jul 31 2010, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm doing this since Monday. Will post an update after two weeks. eusa_shifty.gif

#10 sportsguy23

sportsguy23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

I don't know if lemon juice or line juice works per se... I doubt it will change any indentations to be honest with you...just doesn't make sense.

Some people use lemon juice as a toner to prevent acne.

Lemon juice does have the ability to lighten skin I believe thereby lightening scars...and post acne marks...making them less noticeable...

I used it for a few days in the past and found it was too harsh on my skin but you may be different...so I would suggest using it as a toner and do some research on how long to apply it etc.

On another note...as a facial mask last week I used Egg Whites.

Just a fresh egg, cracked it into a bowl...and used a cotton ball to apply egg white over my face...

I can vouch that this made my face feel a lot smoother and also "brightened" the skin....temporarily but over long term may be able to help a bit.

Some people have recipes where they combine lemon, egg white and honey into a facial mask as well...but haven't tried that.

I will say that egg whites are cheap and to use it occasionally...I would recommend once a week MAYBE twice MAX.

Leave it on for 10-15 minutes.

Some people also swear by aspirin masks to reduce post acne marks. Haven't tried that either.

I would recommend you start taking Vitamin C supplements...It is good for your immune system and vitamin C is a natural supporter of collagen. So I would take 1000 mg a day minimum, I take 2000 mg a day.

Other people use zing and stuff but I don't use that personally.

Vitamin C seems overall to react well in my body and not make me break out...so

vitamin C is tablets daily, egg white mask once a week, I would research more on lemon etc. and good overall skin care.

You may want to research a topical retinoid as well.

Good luck!

#11 MINIac

MINIac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (lenpopz @ Aug 4 2010, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (shooshine @ Jul 31 2010, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm doing this since Monday. Will post an update after two weeks. eusa_shifty.gif

Good luck, lenpopz! Please let me know how your progress goes. surprised.gif

#12 MINIac

MINIac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (sportsguy23 @ Aug 4 2010, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if lemon juice or line juice works per se... I doubt it will change any indentations to be honest with you...just doesn't make sense.

Some people use lemon juice as a toner to prevent acne.

Lemon juice does have the ability to lighten skin I believe thereby lightening scars...and post acne marks...making them less noticeable...

I used it for a few days in the past and found it was too harsh on my skin but you may be different...so I would suggest using it as a toner and do some research on how long to apply it etc.

On another note...as a facial mask last week I used Egg Whites.

Just a fresh egg, cracked it into a bowl...and used a cotton ball to apply egg white over my face...

I can vouch that this made my face feel a lot smoother and also "brightened" the skin....temporarily but over long term may be able to help a bit.

Some people have recipes where they combine lemon, egg white and honey into a facial mask as well...but haven't tried that.

I will say that egg whites are cheap and to use it occasionally...I would recommend once a week MAYBE twice MAX.

Leave it on for 10-15 minutes.

Some people also swear by aspirin masks to reduce post acne marks. Haven't tried that either.

I would recommend you start taking Vitamin C supplements...It is good for your immune system and vitamin C is a natural supporter of collagen. So I would take 1000 mg a day minimum, I take 2000 mg a day.

Other people use zing and stuff but I don't use that personally.

Vitamin C seems overall to react well in my body and not make me break out...so

vitamin C is tablets daily, egg white mask once a week, I would research more on lemon etc. and good overall skin care.

You may want to research a topical retinoid as well.

Good luck!

Wow! Thanks for all the information! I will definitely have to try the egg white mask. It will be a lot less sticky and messy than the honey is.

As for the lemon juice, I am losing hope in it. I think I will give it another week and call it quits. That would be a month of applications. I have an appointment with the dermatologist next week anyway so I am sure that she might be able to recommend something better to use when I see her.

As for your other suggestions, I myself take vitamin C... 1000 mg daily. I tried to take 2000 mg daily but found that there is a such thing as getting too much vitamin C as I got extremely sick several times. Now 1000 is my limit.

As for zinc, I take that too. It doesn't do much good for existing scars, but the use of it is supposed to prevent future scars from forming and it is supposed to regenerate the cells quicker for new skin to form.

I am on one retinoid at the moment... Ziana at night. I was put on Metrogel for the morning, but I stopped using that to experiment with the lemon juice instead. This way I can deal with both the issue of scars during the day and acne at night instead of concentrating on acne throughout the entire day. This is no longer needed since my face cleared up.

Again, thank you for all the information. Very helpful! eusa_dance.gif

#13 TheJemma

TheJemma

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:09 AM

Hi!
I was wondering did you "purge" when using the lemon juice?

#14 MINIac

MINIac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (TheJemma @ Sep 27 2010, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi!
I was wondering did you "purge" when using the lemon juice?

No. In my case, lemon juice never caused me to break out in any way, but I only used it as a spot treatment for the "scars" left behind. I thought for a minute that it was accelerating the healing and reducing the size of pimples that I had at the time that I treated with the juice, but after further experimentation it proved to be false that it had any affect on speeding up the duration of healing.

I only used the lemon juice as a treatment for two months and then I did away with it due to the fact that in all actuality, it did nothing for my face or skin other than make it sticky and itchy, especially in hot weather. The redness still remained as well and nothing appeared to have lightened. Maybe other people would see better results, but not in my case. Lemon juice was a lost cause.